DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 Monte Carlo LT Build

Tags
press fit
74K views 658 replies 63 participants last post by  highly 
#1 ·
Intro! If you just want pretty pictures, keep scrolling, there’s a ton. If you have 3 minutes to spare, read on.

Finally starting a build log for my 05 Monte Carlo LT. A little bit about the car: I decided to go with the red/black/chrome theme, and began adding little accents soon after I got the car.

Red stripe:

Seat/steering wheel covers:

Carbon fiber Di-Noc /vent trim:

Brake calipers. While working on painting the front two calipers, I did a stupid thing and jacked up both wheels. The tire jacks caved as I was taking off one of the front wheels and the weight of the car was resting on one corner of the jacks and the tire. See here :eek: :D:

But it all turned out alright:

See less See more
#59 ·
i took the foam out, i even considered taking the foam out of the doors. but i havn't yet. but when i go in to deaden it more i might remove it too.

#67 ·
When I open my doors up, two sheets had fell. I simply replaced them and over dampened the door cards and a couple of other areas.;)

#65 ·

i woudln't of sealed em like that. aren't you having trouble getting your bass into the cabin like that?

#66 ·
Unfortunately Ray, I don't quite know yet. I have no means of powering anything in my car for another week or so at least. I deadened everything based on where I heard rattles, buzzing and vibrations from over the past few months, and the rear deck was always a bother at all sorts of frequencies. If it so happens that I'm having a hard time getting good bass from it, I'll just take some out and put it elsewhere. Won't be difficult if done right. And anyway, the sealed enclosure back there has its days numbered - I'm going to be doing some drastic changes to the sub and it's enclosure soon - so I'm sure a lot is going to change back there inevitably. I just have to wait and see.

#68 ·
So I'll post an update without having much to update audiowise.

Since May I've been planning a complete overhaul of my entire audio system - literally every driver and amp(s) will be upgraded, everything but the mids are going to a new location, nothing will look the same. I sold the amps, the sub and the new HU should be coming back to me fairly soon. The JBL C608GTI's will go, too, but not until I hear them with the rest of the new system.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any sound in the Monte for 2 months and I won't for at least one more. So no reviews on the deadening I did weeks ago until then either. Then next time I post an update it will include my all-new set with pics of everything, hopefully.

Until that day, I'll just leave these here for anybody who cares to see what I've done to the Monte other than sound as of late, because it looks way different, and way more badass:

before:

after:

Blacked out headlights

Blacked out stock wheels (and the paint just peels off if I feel like removing it!)

Blacked out tail lights, tailpipes, debadged, black CF vinyl bowtie

Overall look:

So that's all for now, next time I post it will be with the good stuff.

#72 ·
I'm not going to change anything until I've given the current look a chance to grow on me. Some said it looked great, others suggested an all-red bowtie, and you, the red outer rim. The red paint is actually 10x more difficult to remove (especially without scratching the wheel), so I have to be absolutely sure with what I do with it. I don't want to do much, if anything, permanent to the stock wheels. I could buy a removable spray paint in red, but the cost to benefit ratio is less than ideal. I'd hardly use any of it. We'll see how I feel about the look of it in a week or so maybe.

#77 ·
It's been nearly three months now, but the Monte finally has audio again. :D:D I gathered up three new amps to power the new system: two MB Quart Q4.80s and an MB Quart ONX1.1500 for the sub when it arrives. When I get a hold of some 2" midrange tweeters to go in the a-pillars, the two Q series will power their respective sides. For now, just one is powering the JBLs.

I had the amp rack installed over the weekend by Mark, and the new CD7200 showed up in time to go with it. The goal was to have the two Q series sandwiching the ONX and to be positioned just so to leave enough room to install the sub and to leave access to the spare tire. And some red LEDs to give the trunk some extra flair.

So here it is.

Amps mounted to the rack and wires ran:

Support frame:

Top cover:

Monte and Chevy emblems:

Wrapped in carpet:

Lit from above with red LED strips:

Amps powered up:

I know, the ugly black tire well cap is hideous and I have yet to figure out how I'm going to disguise it. I'll get around to it... eventually....

#78 · (Edited)
...when I'm not busy taking beauty pics of the car and new interior.

Just for funsies.

Oh yeah and the head unit and mount, all lit up pretty:

I'm so thrilled to have audio back in the car again and have it looking (and functioning) great. Much thanks to Mark for the installation and Dave for the head unit. :)

#82 ·
nice wish you woulfd of bout my monte dash kit i have one of thse just laying around lol did you coat that dash in the 3m stuff ?

i thought about doing that kind of amp rack but i think im just gonna hang mine bellow the rear deck

#85 ·
it's not a hard thing to change them out from blue to red. :mad:

I have a new dash peice, its a bit scrached but it doesnt have the damage i did to mine...but wasn't really an upgrade, i was gonna paint it and the center console peice. hmm now i wonder if this will work for me. i completly forgot about this stuff :)

what size did you order? im looking at the 48"x36" right now for 65$, that enough to cover this in one peice?

#84 ·
WOOT!

Glad to hear you have tunes again! I really like the trunk - fantastic job, but I expected that from Mark. I really like the pictures as well. Now I just have to get a demo ;)

BTW, I'll have to get you and G a copy of the mix disc I made for our Raleigh meet tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.