What amps are you using ?

252K views 1K replies 801 participants last post by  rob3980 
#1 ·
Just as the topic says...

What are you using in your systems ?

#4 ·
x2 diamond d7's.... 30" monsters in the trunk = no trunk space at all =(

#13 ·
Okay, of those that have posted, how many amps do you actually own and are not using?

Here is my list.
*Using
2 x DLS Ultimate A3

*Not Using
2 x Diamond Audio D5300.2 BNIB
NEXT VRz 2.200
NEXT VRz 4.400
NEXT VRz 5.500
Rockford Fosgate Punch 75 (really old school high school days, made in 1989)

#282 ·
Currently running Focal FP 2.150 on front Mid-Bass & FP 4.75 on front Mid-Range & Be Tweeters, Focal FP 1.800 on 11" Focal sub, with 2x Focal FP 4.75 powering 5" Beryllium centre channel & 4" Polyglass surrounds & rear centre.

Okay, of those that have posted, how many amps do you actually own and are not using?
Backup stock of amps are all from the old Rockford Fosgate "Landmine" series.
Have a 250M2, 200ix, 100ix, 60ix, 40ix & 4080DSM in reserve, along with an RFX8140, RFX8601 6-disc changer, EPX2/E28 & a couple of BLT's.
There's also two set's of Audiophile speakers somewhere, 6's & 4's & a matching fuseblock or two.
Need to get my hands on a matching sub & I'm ready for an "Old Skool" install.

#14 ·
Well, my total list is kind of small right now, but here goes:

Using
PPI 4200AM
PPI 2030M
Xtant 2100B

Not Using
Sanyo PC 2070 (really old, like mid-late eighties, but it still works)

DOA:
Xtant 4180C (for now, I'll be getting it re-furbed as money allows.

Now, for a more impressive lists, here's what my good friend has:

Using:
Blaupunkt BMA5350 (old school 5 channel powerhouse from like 90-92)
PPI 2025AM

Not Using:
PPI 2025AM (yep, another one)
PPI 2030M
PPI 2050AM
PPI 2075AM
Soundstream Reference 405
Sanyo 2025
Sanyo 2030
Orion 2150sx, (not sure on that model number, it's a big 2 channel from like 93-94

DOA:
Blaupunkt BMA5350 (yes, another one)
Soundstream Rerence 405s
The Hott Set Up 4 channel, (not sure on model number)

That doesn't even begin to compare to his list of perfectly good subs, mids, tweets, processors, etc.

And yes, I'm very jealous.... :)

-Ben

#22 ·
guys, there's somethign called ebay!

sell your old **** for money to buy better ****

#24 ·
My old Linear Power collection still outperforms 99% of today's amps and will be working long after the industry switches to a 36V system. Why downgrade? Today's amps are not better than those of yesteryear. If anything, my testing here at work has proven that the saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" is VERY true. Just because it is newer doesn't mean it will perform better or last longer.

Reactions: cuznlucky
#25 ·
SteveLPfreak said:
My old Linear Power collection still outperforms 99% of today's amps and will be working long after the industry switches to a 36V system. Why downgrade? Today's amps are not better than those of yesteryear. If anything, my testing here at work has proven that the saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" is VERY true. Just because it is newer doesn't mean it will perform better or last longer.
Agreed. I still kick myself for selling my old Reference series Sounstream amps. As for longevity, my friend's collection is a testimate to that. The 2030M he has was bought new in 1990 and still works like new.

Old-school rules! :D

-Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.