DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
73K views 189 replies 71 participants last post by  blackedoutavy 
#1 ·
Well after years of being a bass head it's time to "grow up" and try another challege. This will be the first time I attempt to build anything SQ oriented so we'll see how it goes.

This build is probably gonna take a while because its my everyday driver, so it's not like I can leave everything torn out. So it's going to be a 2 day a week build.

Anyway...on to the eye candy...

The Car:
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited Edition

Rear End

Profile Shot

Side Shot after 35% Tint

Xenon Supply 6000K Low Beams and Fogs

Turbo!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
And on to the gear:

Headunit:
Factory Navigation / Bluetooth / XM Receiver with iPod Jack

Front Stage:
Focal Polyglass 165 V 30 Componets (will be running active)

Rear Fill:
Focal Polyglass 165 CVX

Subwoofer:
Focal Polyglass 27 V2

The Amps:
Alpine PDX F4 (Tweeters and Rear Fill)
Alpine PDX F4 (Bridged on Mids)
Alpine PDX M6 (Subwoofer)

Processor:
Audison BitOne.1
Should recieve it next week!

Deadener:
Second Skin Audio
36.5 Sq. Ft. Damplifier Pro (25% Coverage Method)
90 Sq. Ft. Overkill (Everywhere)
90 Sq. Ft. Luxuary Liner (Everywhere)
36 Sq. Ft. Luxuary Liner Pro (Floor Pan)
1 Gal. Spectrum Sludge (Exterior Fender Wells)
Coming in Monday!

Wiring and Acessories:
Tsunami
Coming Next Week!

Electrical:
XS Power D3400
When I get more money!

#8 ·
Continuing on with the build...

I forgot I had the pictures of my fiberglass tweeter pods. Didn't get pictures of each step but it's pretty basic.

My goals for this build is to keep the stock look. I want it to look like everything was supposed to go were I'm putting it.

Factory Grill:

Made some fiberglass molds of factory grills:

Fiberglass filler, some body filler, sanded, then given a little test fit:

Test Fitting the tweeters:

Wrapped in vinyl:

Seeing what it looks like in the car:

I think they came out nice. Now I'm gonna find some vinyl to match the grain and color better and they should look real nice.

That's all for now...stay tuned!

#15 ·
Thanks, I for one never thought I'd buy a Hyundai.:laugh:

Anyway I received the rest of my Second Skin order today:D

36 Sq. Ft. of Luxury Liner Pro
This stuff is looks awesome.

90 Sq. Ft. of Overkill

Bulk Pack of Damplifier Pro

1 Gallon of Spectrum for the exterior fender wells

And thanks to Ken for throwing in a little gift!!!

That all for now, should be getting the Bitone.1 in tomorrow. I should be able to start deadening this weekend if my wire comes in by this weekend.

Stay tuned!!!

#25 ·
A local guy who gets Audison.

Quoted for truth. I felt the same way.

I've got a Genesis Coupe, with "Infinity" (Actually has JBL! all over the amp :) ). Where were you planning on getting your signal? I grabbed a full range signal ahead of the amp. It was about 2V balanced.

If you aren't aware, there is a website called "HMAService.com" which is Hyundai's service info site. You can set up a free account and have access to TSB's, and wiring diagrams and such.

Jay
Yea I got the JBL / Infinity system. I plan on tapping after the factory amp in hopes of keeping the factory bluetooth phone system in order.

I know about the HMA site, it's great.

What does the OEM dash speaker look like (any photos?). Thanks.
No photos but I post as soon as they come out, it looks like a 2" or 2.5" midrange.

#27 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing how this build pans out.

I've never really gave hyundai's a second thought, but seeing the new Sonata, it looks like a cool car! I saw one just like yours on the road with nice headlights and tints, and I was very impressed. I'm getting into the market for a new car, and I'm proud to say that when I do get there, there's a good chance that it will be a Sonata.

Now open up those doors! I want to see what the've give you to work with.

Great color choice as well.

I'm a debadger. Would there be any holes left over if you took off the center "H"?

Good luck.

-Mike

#29 ·
Yea I never even gave the Sonata a look at first, I was trying to chose between a Maxima, VW CC, and a G35. Then passing by the lot saw one and though it was a Jag. So I went give the turbo a test drive and WOW was I blown away! Forget everything you think you knew about Hyundai. The turbo is sneeky fast too. It could use a little more bottom end but once it's in 3rd gear hold on. I can tell you now for the money there is not another car that comes close! Plus it get between 28 and 30 honest MPG and I don't drive like a grandma in any way.

I'll get you some interior pics this weekend when she's all cleaned up.

Pretty sure the H on the trunk has a holes or two for line up purposes, but there are a bunch of different emblems that are made to replace them. I'll prob get the YF badge package, which is what it is called in Korea.

Oh and the pearl white limited turbo with black guts like I got is very rare. It took the dealership nearly 3 weeks to find one for me. At the time they said they had never worked so hard to find a car. I almost had to settle for black.

I'm dying to start this build, hopefully I can start some deadening and wiring this weekend!

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
I have no idea what they sound like yet because I haven't installed them yet. I won't be able to tell you the difference between the new ones and the old ones because I've never heard the old ones, but everything I've read the new ones are head and shoulders above the old ones. From what I've read the old ones had really bad noise issues.

#37 ·
Do you have the left pull issue? I had a 2011 Sonata limited turbo in camel pearl with camel interior, a very rare color combo but i just got rid of it i couldn't handle the pull and it had an annoying creak which sounded like a front strut mount but they couldn't get it fixed.

#39 ·
I have a white 2.0t limited with black interior the same as the OP and mine pulls left as well. Have had it in 4 times now to no avail. They have aligned it multiple times and replaced the front left strut. Nothing has helped.

As for the creak, mine had that same issue. Sounded like a strut was what I kept telling the dealership. Turned out it was the hood! The hood bumpers were not up high enough so there was some play in the hood and it kept banging on the latch. Once the bumpers created a bit of tension the creak went away.

If it weren't for the constant left pull this car would rock. And no this isn't torque steer for those of you wondering, the car pulls left in neutral as well. We are currently in the lemon law process and are hoping we win and can get a turbo that doesn't pull. As such I one day hope to do a build in one of these so I am going to keep an eye on this thread.:D

#40 ·
I read the a bunch have left pull issuses on Hyundai-forum. Been having mine for 3 months and it has 0 issues. Even threw it in neutral @ 95 let go of the steering wheel and it was straight as an arrow. Even stomping on it from a dead stop it won't pull. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.