DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

553K views 3K replies 528 participants last post by  captainbuff 
#1 ·
**stole this from another forum but i thought it would be a great idea for this one**

What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you concerning car audio? I'll start it off..

coming from a person who claims he has been into car audio for 25 years and a shop owner (who is obsessed with hertz/audison) when i showed him Hybrid Audio and was looking at the clarus line.. "yeah, no these are pieces of crap that are just re-branded, cheaper version of the Hertz Hi-Energy's. Look at the crossover, theyre exactly the same but with cheaper parts..."
Later on he looked at the Legatia and said they were re-branded, Milles. Needless to say i left and refuse to go back.

LETS HEAR YOURS!...

#35 ·
A local "high-end" car audio sales clerk>>> "I don't think that mounting your no-name (read>>Acoustic Elegance) subs on a board (read>>IB), in that fashion, will sound good. You need to build an enclosure out of MDF and not fiberglass, because rectangular boxes produce better bass, compared to any oddly shaped ,custom enclosures."

#37 ·
I actually saw an installer drill the GND terminal post screw right on to the fuel pump of a customer's car...

I onced told a guy that he should cut off his sub frequency lower, he asked me, what? you mean literally cut the sub in half???

That very same guy, sitting with me in my car and I asked him, do you know why you don't seat in the middle of the car? -> when he asked why I just replied - because you don't wanna have the hand brake in your a#@...

Well... Life is Good :p

#45 ·
A friend of mine has bragged to me about his setup he had in high school, when I asked him what he had it was all subs with tweeters... I'm sure it sounded real good. I told him I was going to show him how a car is supposed to sound, when I let him demo my car he loved it and commented "Dude, that sounds as good as stock". I was quite offended at first until I realized by "sounding as good as stock" he meant you could actually hear the music, not just bass and treble.

#47 ·
When people find out I'm an SPL competitor, they always tell me about how loud their old system was. And they always misremember. "Dude! I was doing 174db's! I shattered my windshield!" Ok, man.

My buddy used to run a shop and I would hang out there. Guys with a line array (lol) of "by nines" on the rear deck would come in and want him to put through bolts around their trunks with washers... but not like, tightened down. It was purposely FOR trunk rattles.

I heard this one at a shop yesterday. And this one of the better shops in town. Guy wanted to utilize and upgrade his stock locations to keep everything factory looking. He had dash speakers and the kid working there told him, "I wouldn't bother with dash speakers. You can't even really hear them."

#49 ·
LOL - intentionally adding rattles is a good one for sure.

Even worse - the folks who insist on 8 sets of marine speakers and/or PA horns mounted in the grill and under the car, so that you can hear them coming hundreds of yards away.

There may be a lot of obnoxious, distorted, bass-heavy systems on the road but nothing is more annoying than high-pitched gangsta rap projected down the street at 110 db.

Motorcycles are almost as bad, but at least that is somewhat understandable compared to the noise of the bike itself.

#50 ·
One guy at the local audio shop told me he didn't like german speakers. I said; okeey... and why is that? He answered, if you listen to them you'll hear that the music will have that distinct german "pronunciation" to them...

Wow... That's a new one >.

#52 ·
I'm in awe of the last few posts with people intentionally making their trunks rattle. I guess it shouldn't be that much of a surprise, 99% of the youtube videos are of trunks rattling and excursion or "flexing" lol.

#55 ·
I've been told to keep my speaker wires the same lenghts. If the left side is longer, it wont fire the same time as the right. Cause you know that extra .0000002 seconds it takes to travel those extra few feet really makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

#58 ·
Back when Good Guys was still around here in SoCal I went in to look at an Eclipse deck. I always like to ask stupid questions just to see what kind of response I would get. The young sales guy was talking about RMS vs Peak so I asked him what RMS stood for. He told me it was "Real Music Sound". "You know, none of that distortion and stuff".

Priceless!

#60 ·
lol A guy I know told my friend that his subs where "catching too much air" because they where firing upwards towards his hatch... I found this hilarious because the guy is a great mechanic, he owns a ridiculously powerful boosted Civic, but apparently he doesn't know jack about audio.

This same guy chimed in when I was talking to my buddy about metering your system and stuff. I got to talking numbers and he says to us that his two JL Audio 13W7s and a JL 1000.1 hit 160dB...

These are the same W7s that blew his first prefab box apart, only to be replaced by another prefab box that sounded even worse. I knew the guy he bought the subs from and they sounded INCREDIBLE in a custom sealed box in a new Altima coupe.

#76 ·
Ok.

Running speakers out of phase will blow them. From a local shop here.

You want 10" subs for rock, 15" subs for rap. And 8" subs for sound quality. From same local shop.

Kicker subs sound better for rap, while memphis and rockford subs sound better for rock. Same local shop.

You wont hear the peaks and dips in music without a cap. Same local shop.

Oh yeah, said local shop is California Car Stereo.

#77 ·
Running speakers out of phase will blow them.
Ugh, I hate the word Phase.. POLARITY.

They are right, wire each VC in a DVC sub out of polarity till you hear a booming sound. You won't hear ****, you will smell smoke.

So they took THAT and assumed it as gospel. But in reality, if you are flipping POLARITY on any speaker that has a wavelength in it's passband longer than the interior of the car can develop, you are shooting yourself in the foot, they may not blow up, but you will have a hell of a hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.