DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

SQ Build: 8th-gen Honda Civic from the Philippines

10K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  LBaudio 
#1 · (Edited)
SQ Build: 8th-gen Honda Civic from the Philippines (P99RS, Seas Excel, 4-way Active)

Dear friends,

I would like to share what I've done with my car.

My buddies and I join SQ car audio competitions under the EMMA (European) format. Judging does have some common points with the IASCA format. You can find more information on EMMA here: Rules | emmanet, the global car lifestyle network (Warning: info overload alert!) :D

Anyway, back to my car.

When EMMA judges look at your car, they ask you for a build log or photo log. They need to check wiring, safety, fusing, craftsmanship and usability as-a-car. So the photolog must be as complete as possible, following the format set by the EMMA rulebook. Otherwise, they judges might ask you to tear down your amp rack or unscrew your midbass to check if the wires are properly protected and terminated! ;)

I decided to post some pages from my Photolog here to ask for comments on how it can be improved.

So here goes... :D

That's my car at Mach2Audio, the shop of my friend Rocky Gonzalez. :)

NOTE:
Please don't mind the inconsistent headers and page numbers in the following photos. I arranged them that order for better readability compared to how the EMMA judges like it. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The car and the gear:

#3 ·
Deadening:

#4 ·
Doors:

#5 ·
A-Pillars:

#6 ·
Subwoofer Box:

#7 ·
Power:

#8 ·
Amp Rack:

#9 ·
Trunk Ceiling and Tool/Spare Fuse Rack:

#10 ·
Head Unit:

RCA:

#11 ·
Miscellaneous:

Done:

#12 ·
Even more miscellaneous:

That's me in the blue t-shirt. :)

That's it, folks! :)

Please feel free to post comments, suggestions. All would be appreciated. :)

#14 ·
Quezon City in Metro Manila. If you have plans of coming over, I can arrange an audition session. I have a few friends who's cars have audio systems similar to mine. Just let me know in advance. :)

Here's some info about the Phlippine SQ competition scene: http://www.emma-ph.com/

#17 ·
@Papasin - sure, just let me know. Good luck on your upcoming SQ competition! :)

@IBcivic - thanks! :) Although here in the Philippines, the dealer doesn't offer options like autodimming rear-view mirrors, moonroof, and 60/40 split-folding rear seats. Our rear seats are fixed and troubleshooting anything behind it means removing it first. Hehe.. :D

#19 ·
Thanks very much! :)

A lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into that build. Hehe.. :)

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks, Robert. :)

Upgrading power wires for the other two amplifiers from 8AWG to 4AWG is an upcoming plan. :)

By the way, I wish I had Clarion (Zeff) amps. My amps are "Sands," a Thailand brand. It was designed by Khun Ravat Arkradejdachachai, a local SEAS distrubutor for over 10 years.

Here's a picture of my trunk:

-- The amp on the far left is the Sands M2150. It is a two-channel MOSFET Class AB amp I use for my midbass. 150Wx2 into 4 ohms.
-- The center amp is the Sands M475. It is a four-channel MOSFET Class AB amp for the midrange and tweeters in the A-Pillars. 75Wx4 into 4 ohms.
-- The amp on the far right is the Sands M1000. It is a mono MOSFET Class H amp for the subwoofer. 1000W into 1 ohm.

Info (Thai language) on the Sands M475 amp: http://www.thevoice9d.com/product_new/amplifiers/sands/m475.html
Info (Thai language) on the Sands M1000 amp: http://www.thevoice9d.com/product_new/amplifiers/sands/m1000.html

#26 ·
Stock. Hehe.. :D
Rated at 105A as per the Shop Manual.

#27 ·
Thank you very much! :)

#29 ·
BTW, decided not to upgrade the small yellow capacitors because they are not in-circuit when the amp is playing full range (built-in crossover is switched-off). :)

#25 ·
INFO: What is a "Class-H" amplifier?

First, Class-G.

Answer from WIKIPEDIA:

A Class-G amplifier has a traditional Class-AB output stage but provides several power supply rails at different voltages and switches between them as the output signal approaches each level. A Class-G amp reduces wasted power at the output transistors to increases efficiency. They are more efficient than class AB but less efficient than class D but without its negative EMI effects.

Now on to Class-H:

Answer from WIKIPEDIA:

Class-H amplifiers take the idea of class G one step further by using an infinitely-variable voltage supply rail. The supply rails are modulated so that they are only a few volts higher than what the output signal needs at any given time - so the output stage operates at its maximum efficiency. The drawback is a more complicated (expensive) power supply and reduced THD performance.

IMHO, reduced THD is still OK for amplifying a subwoofer while having the benefits of a Class-AB output stage. :D :D: D

#30 ·
Thank you! :)

I competed in "Master 7-channel" for 2011 and "Master Unlimited" for 2012.

2012 EMMA rules allow mid/tweet on A-pillar as well as modified (or self-built) equipment if competing in "Master Unlimited" category. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.