Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
That article already confirms what I knew people's preference is entirely psychological.

Since I learned early on what dynamic range, frequency response, and what real instruments sound like I knew what to tune for.

And real instruments sound nothing like what vinyl sounds like or what compressed MP3 sounds like. Try listening to classical on vinyl and all the hiss clicks and pops are just too much a distraction during the quieter lulls. That's why I hold disdain equally for vinyl and tube amp adherents when they claim that those technologies were real "sound quality"

I much prefer CD quality or high bit rate MP3 which is for all intents and purposes indistinguishable. I could also say FLAC but it's of such limited use, mainly for archiving, because for mp3 players it just takes up too much space.

My own version of sound quality is the ability to reproduce the sound exactly as it's heard when listening live. So even then it's hard to say because this rules out any amplified music such as electric guitars or microphones because then they'll have coloration from the speakers or amps they're using.
Exactly what is is, personal preference, just like anything else. The music we like and how we like it is a part of our socialization as well as genetics. So sound quality to you and SQ to me is an entirely different definition. That's why we argue so much about it and always will.

As far as vinyl goes, it's like anything else. Use good vinyl from good manufacturers that's not recycled and company's that use better release agents that don't adhere as much to the new vinyl. Also keep it clean and handle with rubber gloves, buy a box (50ct 5 dollars) use one each time, dont need both, prevents prints and static. No I'm not kidding!! Your vinyl will sound much better, pops clicks gone. Oh and invest in a Rockport, preferably a Sirius System III, IV, or V. The price we pay for SQ, and whatever that term means to you.

You say you like it live? What venue? Outdoor (bandshell or stand), Opera/concert hall (numerous sizes, stadium (open or closed dome?)club, dance hall, studio, they all sound different, so saying I like it live brings on a whole different level of sound characteristics. Depends where your playing, and btw which venue has the best SQ? I'm sure we could devote not just a thread but an entire site on that one.