Ok, I may have to split the results of my subjective listening tests into two or three posts, for reasons that I will shortly make clear.

To start off, I'm not going to wax on eloquently about how with this new subwoofer the bass sounds so much clearer for this tune or I can now hear what pick the bass guitarist is using in that tune and so on and so forth. I believe that a lot of those types of "reviews" are mostly bullcrap IMO. Furthermore, you can't just swap one subwoofer in your system for another and just expect the best results - you also need to check to see if the filter, time alignment and gain settings need to be adjusted accordingly to match the new subwoofer's characteristics.

Having said all of that, I'll give you my first impressions of the 12D2's performance at normal listening levels: very, very good. I still have to make a few adjustments to some of the settings as indicated above, but the impression I was left with is a very good one. I expect that it will only get better after I've used HolmImpulse and a mic to ensure the best blend I can get between the midbass output from my main speakers and the low frequency output from my upgraded subwoofer system.

So, having done a few preliminary tests at normal listening levels, I decided to crank up the volume a bit to see how it performed at "weekend exhibition" levels. Basically I put on Da Mavrik's "When Da Bass Goes Boom (Original Mix)", upped the sub level from -6 to 0 and engaged the "Loudness" option on the deck (a Premier 980BT) and then cranked the volume from 30 to 50. And HOOOLLLEEE-E-SH*T, the bass certainly did go BOOM! Unfortunately it went BLAAAAT! shortly afterwards. Nope, I don't think anything went wrong with the 12D2s. Results of a quick preliminary diagnosis suggests that perhaps replacing two drivers with a total of about 24mm of linear throw with ones that provide a total of 40mm and then tossing 1200W at them was a little too much for the fiberglass enclosure to bear. From the sound of it, it appears that either one of the internal reinforcement bars I built into the enclosure has broken loose or perhaps the enclosure itself is cracked. Hmm. I'll have to pull it out this weekend to see what the damage actually looks like. Until then, any further listening tests will just have to wait.