Quote:
Originally Posted by metanium View Post
I have used a bunch of different ones. I'll do my best to run down the good and the bad. Overall, I'd take the NVX over the others, as long as I had a clean unbalanced signal to feed it. I recently bought a new Tundra and want to retain the Factory HU. Unfortunately, if I tap the signal before the factory amp, it's balanced and the NVX won't accept balanced inputs. So my NVX is available if anyone's looking for a great 5-channel.

Best Overall - NVX JAD900.5
~Has adequate 3-way crossovers to take a 2-channel input and give you really any low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass you'd want in a vehicle. I've ran sub/mid/tweet -and- sub/mid-bass/wide-band on this amp with great success. Also has a subsonic filter, which is a must if you use ported subs.

Runner-up - TIE-JL Audio XD1000/5v2 & XD700/5v2
~They have adequate 3-way crossovers to take a 2-channel input and give you really any low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass you'd want in a vehicle. I've ran sub/mid/tweet -and- sub/mid-bass/wide-band on each of these amps with great success. No subsonis filter, but the JL's will accept balanced differential inputs, while the NVX only accepts unbalanced inputs.

Best sounding - Zuki Hybrid 5-Channel
~Some will debate that all amps sound the same. All I can say is that my truck never sounded so musical. Not a flexible crossover, so as long as you have external processing you should be good.

Others used:
JBL GTO-5EZ ~ Lots of clean power, not a flexible crossover.
JL Audio HD900/5 ~ Lots of clean power, not a flexible crossover.
JL Audio 500/5 ~ Not enough power on sub, big, but old & sexy.
Audison SR5 ~ Not enough power, somewhat flexible crossover, complicated setup.
Alpine MRV-75 ~ Not enough power, not a flexible crossover.
Alpine PDX-5 ~ Had some noise issues, snap, crackle, pop!
US Amps AX5600 ~ Never worked correctly.
I recently went with the JAD900.5 have not installed it because the speakers I want are on back order. I'm excited about this amp. All my processing will be from my Pioneer. I agree all amps don't sound the same by any means. People that try different combos in the same car and listen to the same songs can tell. I know one day I was at my friends house back about 10 years ago and had 2 Fosgate P3's, JL W6 10, 2 Pioneer 12's, 2 different Kenwood amps, 1 Fosgate amp and a few other things. It was a day I was just swapping stuff in and out playing with gains, EQ just to hear the differences in the same 2 or 3 songs. And everything was just different, at least to my ears. One setup could sound cleaner, one could get louder, so on and so on. So now that I'm older and been around the block, I try to be very critical of my buying decisions, especially on a budget going after a $225 amp rather than a high dollar $1000 amp.