DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

An abbreviated install log of my own car :)

74K views 175 replies 82 participants last post by  mumbles 
#1 ·
well, its acutally been a few weeks since i finished the installation on my own car, but with the crazy work schedule, i havent had any chance to organize the pics i took and upload them.

With the G35 out of the way, i finally got a chance to sit down, relax a bit, and comb through the pics and start to put together an install log. One thing that immediately became apparent was that i am apparently much less patient at taking pics of my own car's install than the last time around haha, as a result, this is going to be a pretty abbreviated install log, compared to many similar logs posted by other DIyers.

so anyway, lets get started...

Goals:

1. achieve a decent level of sound quality (than previous system)

2. keep everything hidden completely under the floor

3. throw in aspects of my skillset into the install so i can demonstrated to potential clients what certain things can look like (i.e. wiring neatly through grommits, routed plexi, led edge lit plexi, etc etc)
-------------------------

okay, i guess before i go into the install, a little bit about the vehicle?

its a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5GT wagon...with some mods. here is a list and the most recent pics of i have of it:

KN intake
Cobb Pulley
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin TMIC
760cc injectors
Walbro pump
aquamist methanol injection
18G turbo at 20psi w/meth
flex UP
Cobb DP
Crucial P/P exhusat manifold
BC Racing BR coilovers
Tranny Cooler
crossdrilled/slotted rotors
magnaflow exhuast with porsche 911 style tips
20 Tint
AEM UEGO wideband
autometer boost guage
accessport with custom tdc/harmann map
GFB BOV at 50/50
Kosei K3 18x7.5
General Exclaim 225 40 18
Debadged with L7 badge ont he back i made
mesh grille
cleared headlights
4500 HIDs
engine cover and bracket delete
urathane control arm bushings
two large cracks in the windshield curtesey of cali highways lol
all told about 400hp/450tq at crank, 300-325 awhp depending on mustang or dynoject

may have mised a few things here and there

See less See more
#66 ·
Let's step back a little bit in your install log. I have a few questions for you:

How the heck did you get the floor mold to stick to this factory panel so well? Drill holes in it to let resin seep through? Will it continue to stick and stay put?

My second question is directly related to a thread I started in the fabrication section. How do you go from this:

To this:

How do you get the cloth to stick to the ABS flush mount rings? Do you simply stretch it over the entire structure, resin it, then cut the opening for the speaker? Or, do you attach cloth to the sides of the flush mount ring somehow then resin the whole thing.

Confused and intrigued...

Ge0

#67 ·
well:

1. the plastic panels are heavily scuffed with 36 grit sand paper to make it stick better.

2. afer its dried and before the dampening went on, a few more pan head screws went in to furthre help it. then dampeng goes on and its all bonded.

3. no i pull it over the entire ring, resin it, and then trim out the cloth on the inside of hte ring, and from the back, after thoroughly strenthen it with glass, to the poin where the joint between the edge of hte ring and the mold cloth is very hard, i can take a sand paper and sand it smooth, down to what you see i the last pic you linked...

not sure if that made sense?

b

#70 ·
Nice job! I was going to do something similar (as far as show off my skillset/build a car as a resume kinda thing) but I'm on unemployment, so I have a VERY limited budget to work with. So, for the time being, I'm doing the best I can. I really like this install on your car.

I find it funny that your sub box is only like 2" deep and is still .8 cf. :D

I was wondering a) What midbasses are you running and did you do anything special with the mounting, and b) where do you get the blue (ABS?) that you used to make your kick panel mounting rings? Is it more flexible that the normal black 1/8" ABS or something?

Thanks.

Jay

#71 ·
midbass is the seas reference
as far as special mounting i dont relaly know hwat you mean hehe

blue is low heat plastic, much eaier to heat up and work with than abs. i get it from my local supplier but you can find it at www.selectproducts.com not the cheapest but its there under that name.

#72 ·
As far as mounting, I just wondered if it was deadened/ensolited/clayed/etc.

Found that blue stuff on SP's site, and it's not *outrageous* at $17 for 24x32"
But I find alot of the stuff they promote as "NEW Installation Products" are really just products from other areas that they mark up and market to us.

We used to work with a product called Centra (or Sentra?) at the last shop I worked at, which might be similar.

Jay

#80 ·
yeah, basically, as long as ONE side of hte subwoofer is in an enclosure, its fine...the sub just moves air by its cone going up and down, and one side needs to have the proper air suspension to make it work right...it doesnt matter if its the front or the back.

the usual only dowside is port noise coming out o fhte vent hole in the back, but with how my subwoofer is located, wtih a floor and a mat over it and all the way to the rear, its in audible :)

btw the box is slightly more than 2 inches deep hehe, for hte most part its 3 to 3.5 :) i may have mistyped it...

the entire well is a good 10-10.5" deep :D

#82 ·
Bing, I was wondering how far in advance our booked?

#86 ·
as of right now, about 5 months or so...just took a deposit on a car for late march/early april of 09...

this is with the slightly lighter workload around the holidays and CES...normal buffer is around 4 month or so, give or take a week or two.

btw, you guys will find it odd prolly, that 90 percent of hte time when i am driving, i have my stereo either off or at minimal volume lol...when i deal with it day in and day out, sometimes, when i drive, i just want o be alone with my boxer rumble :)

i would say the only times the system ever gets a work out is for demoing to potential clients hehe...

#83 ·
Very hot... should've been in bed an hour ago but I had to read through and check it out.

I just came from a WRX wagon, but was more performance oriented with that car... not near as tricked out as yours, but a solid stage 2. With the Si I decided to go slower and simpler and enjoy the ride.

When the Legacy GT came out I came really close to buying a wagon too. Loved the styling.

Your build is incredible... gives me some things to aspire to.

Thanks for sharing dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.