DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

BMW Version 2.1

18K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  sydmonster 
#1 · (Edited)
Hood being prepped. Hood had bad cracking when i bought it bc previous owner had a cheapy paint job applied

Trunk Being taped off for vinyl

Hood wrapped in 3M di-noc CF vinyl

Driver Kick Panel. Grill Cloth is loose bc grill material is pet proof window screen. Metal mesh has a resonance to it and very difficult to conform to the difficult grill shape

Pass Kick panel. Dual Autophile 3 midrange/Highs. and Dual Absolute 7s in each kick panel

4 IDQ v3 10s in infinite Baffle set up.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

2009 Elite Summer Nationals---Top 10 Finish in Top 30 SQ Invitational Round. 1st show in 3.5years

#5 ·
I asked this a long time ago on ECA and when I finally measured it in car--there arent any dips anywhere in the response until around 16k.
I have a peak at 500hz then flat to 1k which is another peak--then pretty flat and roll off at 16k. but no Nulls that were predicted.

#7 ·
Wow, looks great.

Why do you have pets in your BMW? :smartass:
bc we live next to white trash who leave their cats out for days on end and they have wandered into our yard, garage and even my car when its open....

oh yeh and i explained the rest already. actually found several Home guys using window screening as well now.

#11 ·
right now its the same amp set up and install was when it won finals in 2005. Genesis DMX on midbass. Genny DM on mids. Genny Monoblock on subs.

#14 ·
I have loved the 3s since I got them a couple yrs ago. they are pretty flat from 350 to 16k and then about a 2-3db drop off in my application at 16k
I can get an exact measurement later

#19 ·
dude where are you? I am going to be going to the MECA show in allentown this wkend and then one in Pottsville on the 30th. there are a few other good competition cars out of this area as well, like Ron Baker etc...

Kicks sealed? I dont build anything sealed for a car anymore. Kicks vent thru the chassis rocker panel and through 3 one inch holes on each side. the mids vent through 3 1inch holes as well that vent into the fender well.

doing sealed tends to make midrange sound congested or nasally at certain freqs and midbass to not play low enough and also sound congested. I am all for giving drivers as much space as needed, as in infinite space to play as open as possible.

I am still tweaking some things and may make some adjustments before MECA finals.

oh and right now its one seat but with some adjustments in tuning it can do well 2seats as well. I am old school, so I think real cars do it from both seats

#22 ·
its different vinyl than those used for full wraps. It does have controltac and comply but it isnt as elastic as regular body wrap vinyl. You can stretch the cap out of this stuff with heat, but in doing so you pull the grain pattern out some so it looks flat under some lighting and it also reduces the adhesive ability to work properly.

I have some issues with interior pieces that I wrapped and had a complex curve which required alot of heat and stretching. Even using the primer, so edges have started to "walk" backwards. you also need to leave a decent overlap on the backside when you are stretching the vinyl or it will walk.

#21 ·

#24 ·
downtown York or Harrisburg?

#28 ·
there is actually a separation which is structural metal between the 2. they are in a combined airpsace with some structural metal between. in addition to venting through the rocker panel and fender well, i added the 3 1" holes for more ventilation.

in total 6 holes per midbass, plus other areas to vent.

midranges vent through 3 1" holes combined.

#36 ·
yes they play to 400hz actually. 50 or 56 to 400hz @24db/octave

Yes Still currently using Genesis amps. Dual Mono on the 3s. DMX on midbass. Currently using a Profile Ultra 4 on subs due to a problem with monoblock.

#40 ·
we'll see how it sounds after some changes, horns are not in the list of changes....

my girls would like to know If you can put Chloe down long enough to play for awhile:D
Ive never seen such a proud papa tho.

#43 ·
Awesome install Mic. I'd love to take a listen sometime. Im tinkering with my install right now myself and would love to get a reference for what a solid competition system sounds and consists of. I will likely start competing next season as a rookie.

Good stuff bud.

#44 ·
#50 ·
yes thats what I do and pretty much all I did until i got the car audio bug again....we need to get some Raid or BugOff or something--**** is getting expensive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.