DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

BNIB Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model .. Good deal ?

16K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Oliver 
#1 · (Edited)
I miss my old 7909 and want to get another one ! Even though financially I shouldnt...check out this badboy that I'm in the process of buying. Just got pics...
1997 Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model brand new in box. :)
He wants $1175 U.S. Shipped.
you think it's worth it ? Or should I go with a clarion DRZ9255 ?

See less See more
#4 ·
Well I have had the DRZ and the CDA-7998 (not F1 and I know but just saying). I never liked the 'sound' that Alpine has but the 7909 might be a different all together. I know it doesnt help much but feel that the Denon DCT-A100, DCT-R1 and Rockford RFX-8250/8240 sounds better than all the other headunits that I have own from a dedicated transport headunit. The DRZ is a complete all-in-one solution though as is the route I would take if thats what you need.

#5 ·
That is a ton of money to spend on a HU that is probably better left a collector's item, because it is BNIB. In other words, isn't the going rate on a used 7909 more in the $500-$600 range? Sounds to me like it is priced as high as it is because it is new, and as soon as you use it, it will lose a good portion of its value. If you want a 7909, I would look for a used one personally, but it's your money. ;)

#6 ·
I understand, the 7909 is priced the way it is because all the 35-45 year olds now pay the top dollar for them because they always wanted 1 when they were younger ie: 20 years ago.
I think the market prices for the 7909's now have peaked, and in the future wont gain any value because the youngsters these days wont want them...
Just like the muscle cars.. My generation wont pay for them in the future, because we grew up with Imports... :surprised:
Im leaning towards a drz9255 because they are initially cheaper to buy, better specs on paper, and alot more features as well !
I do howver love the vintage look of the Alpine !
Maybe I'll old out for a good used one, and in the meantime buy a DRZ9255.

decisions decisions decisions :mean:

#8 ·
While the 7909 is the deck that we all wanted....If you are hesitant on the price then maybe you don't want the deck as much as you think?

While that unit has an awesome transport...I see no reason why the DRZ's transport or some other older decks with great transports could not get the job done. Fine a used one in great shape then pick up a processor with the saved cash.

Only you can decide this one....

#9 ·
You need to consider the age of the unit as well, even though it's NIB. This goes for any electronic device...amps, HU's, etc. Certain components degrade over time, even just sitting on the shelf. Electrolytic capacitors are usually the first to degrade. Most other components are usually pretty stable, such as resistors, transitors, diodes, rectifiers, coils/transformers, etc. There are usually several rubber parts in the transport that will degrade as well. Some of these parts will harden, become brittle, or even crumble into dust from simply being exposed to air/ozone over that length of time.

I purchased a NOS/NIB Sony CDX-C910 HU (about the same era as the 7909) that had this problem. A repair shop that has done a lot of work for me in the past and at reasonable prices said it would cost around $400 to repair! Luckily I just paid $125 for it and really just wanted the Faceplate and a new Rotary Remote so I wasn't too disappointed. It was sad though that this bright, shiny, "new" HU wouldn't work. :( Later on, l also ended up using the external DC-DC converter from it to replace one that had failed on my installed HU so it all worked out quite well in the end.

Just some food for thought as this is a fairly "old" HU. You might want to have the seller check the Date of Manufacture sticker on the chassis to see when it was produced.

For my money I would probably go with the DRZ as well, but I know all too well the temptation to want to go with a classic HU such as this one! ;)

#12 ·
Its the old "if you have to ask..."

I think you made a very wise decision on the clarion....i am from "that era"...and the clarion is a better unit.

#15 ·
CD or other input [ Radio no workie in United States ]>>>

But I do want to discuss a couple of issues. 1. I get asked a lot about the Alpine 7909J and what is it. Alpine produced all of the 7909’s in Japan. The 7909 with the “J” designation was meant for the Japanese homeland and has a different tuner for there market, they don’t use the same wavelength for AM and FM that we do.;) The 7909 I am selling was made in Japan (they all are) but it was intended to be used in the United States and has the correct tuner for our country. So that is why the 7909J Anniversary edition head unit sells for so much less – the radio portion is useless in the US

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.