LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Default amp gurus, I have a question

Can you tell what type of power to expect from an amp by internals? If so, can I get an estimate pls? If you need better or more more pics let me know. It has 4 25amp fuses.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 05-05-2011 at 12:43 AM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Do it yourself

Rep Power: 134 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: amp gurus, I have a question

Comparing it to other es amps specs I guess 200x4 at 4. Might ask envisionelec or some others.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 sonikaccord will become famous soon enoughsonikaccord will become famous soon enoughsonikaccord will become famous soon enoughsonikaccord will become famous soon enoughsonikaccord will become famous soon enoughsonikaccord will become famous soon enough

It looks like it can put out that much...each of those transistors are rated at 150w so when you take in losses and the fact that they aren't running at max it should put you around 200wpc.
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Cool. I was expecting at least double the 75x4 it was rated for so good new for me. certainly felt much more powerful than the rated specs. Thanks guys

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10
Old 05-16-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Rep Power: 479 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only commenting because you asked me to...

The amplifier is rated at 75W x 4 at 4 ohms and 0.04%THD. The amplifier is 0.5 ohm stable, but only for channels C/D. It accomplishes this by paralleling the output devices via relays. So rather than being "bridged", the channels are paralleled in mono mode.

The outputs are interesting devices. They're MosFets rated at 100V and 70A; a great combination. The rails are +/- 28V in "high voltage" mode. This gives you ~150W into 4 ohms.

You can see where this is going.

At 2 ohms and in "high voltage" mode, you're still at 28V rails so ~250W per channel (that's 250W x 4) is not unrealistic when playing music (as opposed to test tones).

At 0.5 or 1 ohm, the amplifier should be switched into high current mode, because you will almost certainly reach an overcurrent situation quickly at 28V rails. When switched into high current mode, the amplifier halves its rails to 14V so as not to trigger an overcurrent situation. So you're limited to the same amount of power.

So what's the point of having the 0.5 and 1 ohm capability if you don't gain anything? It's partly marketing. People see that and think "superior amplifier" when it's more "bait and switch" and "LOL..." to us engineers. You aren't gaining anything but flexibility, which is valuable in its own right - but don't go changing your woofers just because it can drive 'em.
The other part is stability. The output transistors can't drive sub 1 ohm loads without blowing up, so Sony implements some extensive overcurrent circuitry to force you to switch into another, lower voltage mode.

"High current" sounds better than "low voltage", but it's the same thing in power supply engineering-land.

Another thing - there is a sh*tload of SMD circuitry under that "sparse" board. It always kills me when some chucklehead opens a Japanese amplifier on AmpGuts.com and comments on the low parts count.

It's a solid amp. If it wasn't so huge, I'd have no problem owning one. I bet it sounds divine.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner
envisionelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Thanks for the reply. Very educational and makes me even more confident about using this amp as a 1 amp solution.

So it will be powering my 4 ohm comps passive on a&b (150 watts give or take a bit?) and a single 10" idq dvc4 at 2 ohms bridged on c&d.

Specs say both are stable at 2 ohms bridged (hi volt/current) I would just loose a little power going to high current but be easier on the amp.

So at bridged 2 ohm on c&d I should be seeing around 500 in high voltage and about 300-400 in high current if Im following you.

Suppose I will try high voltage and see if it gets hot, then if so, switch to high current on the sub channels.

Let me know if I have this confused and thanks again, I appreciate it

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 05-16-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Old 05-16-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Rep Power: 479 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Thanks for the reply. Very educational and makes me even more confident about using this amp as a 1 amp solution.

So it will be powering my 4 ohm comps passive on a&b (150 watts give or take a bit?) and a single 10" idq dvc4 at 2 ohms bridged on c&d.

Specs say both are stable at 2 ohms bridged (hi volt/current) I would just loose a little power going to high current but be easier on the amp.

So at bridged 2 ohm on c&d I should be seeing around 500 in high voltage and about 300-400 in high current if Im following you.

Suppose I will try high voltage and see if it gets hot, then if so, switch to high current on the sub channels.

Let me know if I have this confused and thanks again, I appreciate it
2 ohm bridged will necessitate the high current mode. It won't get "too hot", it will just illuminate the "over current" LED and shut down. That will be your clue.

500 in high voltage at 2 ohms. 500 in high current at 0.5 ohms. That's the breakdown. Going to a lower impedance gains you nothing (unless, of course, you already have the woofs) - then its flexibility saves you $$$.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner
Old 05-16-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Thanks i already have the dvc 4 idq 10".
in high current bridged to a 2 ohm sub I should get 300+ since its a one ohm load for the amp correct?
Thanks again
Makes me wish had dvc 2 but should be enough power either way

Old 05-17-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Thanks i already have the dvc 4 idq 10".
in high current bridged to a 2 ohm sub I should get 300+ since its a one ohm load for the amp correct?
Thanks again
Makes me wish had dvc 2 but should be enough power either way
Not quite. Because the amplifier (set to mono) puts the channels in parallel and not bridged mode, a 2 ohm mono load is 2 ohms. So unless the amp has a problem with it, put it in high voltage mode and get all 500W.

Old 05-17-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionelec View Post
Not quite. Because the amplifier (set to mono) puts the channels in parallel and not bridged mode, a 2 ohm mono load is 2 ohms. So unless the amp has a problem with it, put it in high voltage mode and get all 500W.
You are the man.

Thanks once again

Old 07-09-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Del00 will become famous soon enoughDel00 will become famous soon enoughDel00 will become famous soon enoughDel00 will become famous soon enoughDel00 will become famous soon enoughDel00 will become famous soon enough

Just registered because I keep looking around for another or at least a place that can repair it, and I continually come across these forums.

I have one of these, purchased brand new over a decade ago, and have been looking for a place to get it repaired (it continually blows transistors).

Just to add to the discussion if anyone cares, before it began blowing up it was powering 2 JL Audio 12W7s. It was LOUD. I don't want to get rid of this - if anyone can point me in a direction I'd appreciate it. This amp is worth every penny.
Del00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 50 bigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enoughbigdaddy'76 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del00 View Post
Just registered because I keep looking around for another or at least a place that can repair it, and I continually come across these forums.

I have one of these, purchased brand new over a decade ago, and have been looking for a place to get it repaired (it continually blows transistors).

Just to add to the discussion if anyone cares, before it began blowing up it was powering 2 JL Audio 12W7s. It was LOUD. I don't want to get rid of this - if anyone can point me in a direction I'd appreciate it. This amp is worth every penny.

Look up MattR on this forum. He's the guy I'd talk to!!!

bigdaddy'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 WhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionelec View Post
I've got one of these running a pair of 4ohm JL 10w1s in parallel. Would it be wise to run it in high power mode? It's been chugging away for a number of years in high current mode.

It should go into protection before damaging the amp correct?
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Id keep it in high current mode as those subs dont need any more power and Ive noticed the amp runs hot with a 2 ohm load in hi volt mode.

But yes, it will go into shutdown and the amp will not be damaged so give it a shot, its safe.

Old 12-22-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post
I've got one of these running a pair of 4ohm JL 10w1s in parallel. Would it be wise to run it in high power mode? It's been chugging away for a number of years in high current mode.

It should go into protection before damaging the amp correct?
Yes, it should. The amplifier has quite a robust protection circuit. As long as you've got the charging system and power connections, the amp will happily let you know there is a problem before it flips its lid.

Old 12-25-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 Dr_jitsu will become famous soon enoughDr_jitsu will become famous soon enoughDr_jitsu will become famous soon enoughDr_jitsu will become famous soon enoughDr_jitsu will become famous soon enoughDr_jitsu will become famous soon enough

Oops, sorry, accidentally hit the "send to dumb Q forum. My Bad.
Dr_jitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Popimp _8 will become famous soon enoughPopimp _8 will become famous soon enoughPopimp _8 will become famous soon enoughPopimp _8 will become famous soon enoughPopimp _8 will become famous soon enoughPopimp _8 will become famous soon enough

Lil late in the conversation but I have this amp and its been a paper weight sadly snuff but it keeps popping fuses or burning the wires hooked to it Red hot ouchie lol
Popimp _8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 109 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popimp _8 View Post
Lil late in the conversation but I have this amp and its been a paper weight sadly snuff but it keeps popping fuses or burning the wires hooked to it Red hot ouchie lol
I can repair it for you. Am currently replacing thr output fets on a members 7547. Pm me if interested.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 WhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enough

Very timely that you bumped this back up. My 7547 just failed. I had the volume very low and all output stopped. I popped the trunk and smoke was coming from the left side of the amp. Once I pull it out and open it up, I'll send you a PM TrickyRicky.

I love old school equipment
1992 Mustang 5.0 notchback, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Mercedes 560 SEC
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 SpecV will become famous soon enoughSpecV will become famous soon enoughSpecV will become famous soon enoughSpecV will become famous soon enoughSpecV will become famous soon enoughSpecV will become famous soon enough

I can say Ricky has been a pleasure to work with and just got notification that my big red is ready to begin it's journey home! The wait for parts is excruciating but he found a good supplier so the price was minimal.
SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 109 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecV View Post
I can say Ricky has been a pleasure to work with and just got notification that my big red is ready to begin it's journey home! The wait for parts is excruciating but he found a good supplier so the price was minimal.
I listen to it for about 2-3hrs straight after repairs. Its been shipped and you should get it tuesday or wednesday.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is online now   Reply With Quote