LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 mr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enough

Default Pics of Zed-made Planet Audio P475

Just got this from eBay: Late 1990s, 4 X 75 watts/4 ohms. Seems to be relatively rare, so these shots are just to show everybody what this amp is all about.

Any reactions from someone who actually knows what we're looking at would be helpful. The limits of my observations are that it's signed by a guy named Eddie who also signed Zed-made Hifonics boards.

Haven't hooked it up yet, but no obvious problems. By "obvious" to me I mean no snakes or scorpions crawled out of it when I opened it up and no one left a note reading, "Sucker!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Planet Audio P475 outside.jpg (41.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg power supply end.jpg (61.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Planet Audio P475, inside overview.jpg (74.3 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg speaker end.jpg (80.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Cool-looking copper towers.jpg (84.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 4 little boards, one for each channel.jpg (87.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Serial number 120.jpg (76.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg about 15 inches wide.jpg (49.8 KB, 122 views)
mr.gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Pics of Zed-made Planet Audio P475

i wish i had found this first! my first amp ever was a 2 channel version of this..same color and everything. i cant say what the sq is like because i was an idiot back then but i can tell you it took abuse like no other amp i owned in those days back when i had no idea what an ohm was or that it was not supposed to have 2 12s hooked to it.
legend94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 94 rugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura about

I had the tube version and sold it to a friend... kinda wished I had held onto it.

" Does that make him a moderate or is he a liberal commie long haired bastard? Do you have to be hard core, hate all them damned hippies, staunchy stan to be in the totally moral and good club of the righteous? " - AWC
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugdnit View Post
I had the tube version and sold it to a friend... kinda wished I had held onto it.
That one i have used and it was a very nice amp for the money!
Old 10-08-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 mr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enoughmr.gone will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Going to run some HAT Imagines with the P475. I hope they'll sound fine with just the 75 watts per channel so I can run a sub with the other two. If not, I'll either bridge the channels and drive them with 150 watts a side or bi-amp them and turn the gain way down on the tweeters. Speakers are in coaxial setup now. Might move the tweeters closer to the kick panels if I have to go active.
Old 10-08-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

If you dont care let us know how it turns out. I had a 75x2 and it did great one one 12 which was a jbl gto iirc. I would say the front channels will be more than enough.

If you ever sell the amp pm me please
Old 10-08-2012   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 35 for2nato will become famous soon enoughfor2nato will become famous soon enoughfor2nato will become famous soon enoughfor2nato will become famous soon enoughfor2nato will become famous soon enoughfor2nato will become famous soon enough

I used to have that same amp. Sold it a long time ago though. Sound was pretty good and rock solid build. It should run a passive comp set with no problems. And 150watts bridged to a sub should make for a decent sq build with the right woofer. Find something with a higher sensitivity and lower rms and you should get some decent volume from your woofer when you want it. I would think something like a powerbass s-series 12 would probably run good off this amp.

Sent From Your Moms Closet Using TapaTalk Pro
for2nato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Radio Randy
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 93 ATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura aboutATOMICTECH62 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 5 channel similar to this one but its like a gun metal grey.
ATOMICTECH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 RMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enough

Great Amp. I left one in a Accord that I traded in. Hell that might be my old one. Does it look like the speaker terminals have been cleaned?

'08 G35x - Hertz HSK163 - PPI P900.4 - SI BMmkIII - PPI P1000.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
...one them new fangled fancy schmancy double din bluetooth ipod boogity bloo blob blee touch screen so you can rest medicine head units.
RMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAT View Post
Great Amp. I left one in a Accord that I traded in. Hell that might be my old one. Does it look like the speaker terminals have been cleaned?
The amp itself is very clean overall, with just a slight scrapping of the cover in the upper right corner. The only distinguishing mark on the speaker terminals is that one of the "gold"-plated screws has been lost and replaced with a normal silver-coated screw.

It doesn't look like this amp spent any time getting gunked up and cleaned off, except for a small bit of foreign substance of some sort between a couple of cooling fins.

Amp had made its way to West Virginia before I got it -- don't know where it originated.
Old 10-17-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Stroede Racing
Position:
Crew Chief

Rep Power: 0 dode will become famous soon enoughdode will become famous soon enoughdode will become famous soon enoughdode will become famous soon enoughdode will become famous soon enoughdode will become famous soon enough

I used to run a pair of P4150's along with a P475 in my cougar before the car was stolen. Very solid equipment made by Zed Audio. I got mine straight from Stephen Mantz. I wish I still had them.

John
dode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

Hey folks -- I see all kinds of praise of Zed products, but I rarely see much detail about WHY these amps are so valued. Clean sound? Reliability? Power? Musicality? Just curious.
Old 10-21-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gone View Post
Clean sound? Reliability? Power? Musicality?

yes yes yes yes!

add value to the list as well for what they can be had for now. there are so many old amps now that sell for a quarter or less of what they did 5 years ago.
Old 11-21-2012   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

OldSchoolJunkie

Rep Power: 33 SilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey folks -- I see all kinds of praise of Zed products, but I rarely see much detail about WHY these amps are so valued. Clean sound? Reliability? Power? Musicality? Just curious.
Yes I agree they are a great value now and they made so much of the old school equipment. The sound quality and size to power ratio is very strong for that time period of amps. Most of his amps are tightly regulated so there performance is more consistent on the average electrical system when the demands dip into battery reserves at 12v. Very clean. There seemed to be two different levels, us acoustic USA series, plant audio and a few others they seemed to have a more laid back sound on the high end still pretty detailed, and then hifonics, rodek, Usx...f, Esx, and Autotek that have a more Agressive hi end with a new layer of detail. Both levels slam subs and are tight and clean given the edge to the later slightly in SQ.
SilkySlim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

OldSchoolJunkie

Rep Power: 33 SilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enough

Oh also just to mention. A friend came over and and I dug out a zed mono block rated at 100@4ohm 200@2ohm. He had a brand new American company classd mono block rated at 2000 watts. It was every bit as strong and much more accurate. He was pissed.

So for what it is worth you should have no problems with this 4ch on your components. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new hidden gem.
Old 11-22-2012   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
Oh also just to mention. A friend came over and and I dug out a zed mono block rated at 100@4ohm 200@2ohm. He had a brand new American company classd mono block rated at 2000 watts. It was every bit as strong and much more accurate. He was pissed.

So for what it is worth you should have no problems with this 4ch on your components. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new hidden gem.
Thanks, Silky Slim. I appreciate the information. Glad mine is in the more "laid back" category given the edginess of the other components in my system.
Old 02-06-2013   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Bugstyvy is on a distinguished roadBugstyvy is on a distinguished road

I have a Rodek Amp from 1989 that has EDDIE written on the board.
Bugstyvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 flecom will become famous soon enoughflecom will become famous soon enoughflecom will become famous soon enoughflecom will become famous soon enoughflecom will become famous soon enoughflecom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just got this from eBay: Late 1990s, 4 X 75 watts/4 ohms. Seems to be relatively rare, so these shots are just to show everybody what this amp is all about.

Any reactions from someone who actually knows what we're looking at would be helpful. The limits of my observations are that it's signed by a guy named Eddie who also signed Zed-made Hifonics boards.

Haven't hooked it up yet, but no obvious problems. By "obvious" to me I mean no snakes or scorpions crawled out of it when I opened it up and no one left a note reading, "Sucker!"
interesting, those 4 vertically mounted PCBs look like discrete opamps, very, very nice for SQ

(if done correctly)
flecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

OldSchoolJunkie

Talking Re: Pics of Zed-made Planet Audio P475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstyvy View Post
I have a Rodek Amp from 1989 that has EDDIE written on the board.
Let me know if you want me to own it. Always looking for good clean os Rodeks one of my favorite zeds.
Old 04-01-2013   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 MCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished road

I got these HTV tubers for sale.They are well built.They even have a 18db crossover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPI LP PLANET AUDIO 4 SALE 019.jpg (65.2 KB, 28 views)
MCLSOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Bugstyvy is on a distinguished roadBugstyvy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
Let me know if you want me to own it. Always looking for good clean os Rodeks one of my favorite zeds.
I have approx 50 Rodeks that may be available soon. Including 2 2300i's and 5 or 6 2150i's a couple RA2150's as well i think.
Old 04-01-2013   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 MCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished road

hey buddy...LOLOL
Old 04-01-2013   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

OldSchoolJunkie

Never tried the tubes or many planet audios

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-01-2013   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLSOUND View Post
hey buddy...LOLOL
I see you are selling off stock....
Old 04-02-2013   #25

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstyvy View Post
I see you are selling off stock....
yea,I would rather see it go to someone who is going to put some good use to it