LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 saMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enough

Default Starting Over: 2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door Install

Sold the M3 and replaced it with a 2011 WRX. I haven't heard a factory audio system that sounds this bad in 20 years. Which is good, because I won't waste time before gutting it! Due to monetary constraints, though, the Build will probably go in stages:

Obligatory Car Pic:

Stage 1:
  • Audison BitOne, integrated with OEM HU. I don't want the constraint of needing a Head Unit with the right crossover and time alignment I want, so I'm just going to dive into what will easily be the most expensive component in the system.
  • Sound Deadening: The Subaru needs a lot more attention in this department than the M3 did! Not going to waste any time getting to this step.
  • The rest will be some basic placeholders to get started. Maybe some Seas Neo tweets and a pair of Dayton RS150's I have sitting around, powered by, either a hodgepodge of 2CH amps I have, or a nice, compact 5 channel like the Alpine PDX-5 or Massive audio NX5
  • No sub, for now, but eventually: SIH1008 08-2011 Subaru WRX / STI Hatch 10 Inch Perfect Fit
I'm going to start with factory placement, to get the basic install going and then start the real experimentation.

saMxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 102 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Default Re: Starting Over: 2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door Install

Subscribing.

Good to see you back on here.

They did WHAT to that monkey?!?! -Anonymous
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 saMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enough

Great to be back. I was getting bored with where I was getting with the M3 so its fun to start with a clean slate.

Old 03-14-2011   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 subiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enough

If you listen to the radio at all, you will not want to keep the factory deck. I have an MS8 and the CD players sound good. Radio, there is no hope for. Bing also tested a factory HU and said their is some nasty built in EQing that changes with volume. I have since bought a cheap HU to replace the stock.
subiemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiemax View Post
If you listen to the radio at all, you will not want to keep the factory deck. I have an MS8 and the CD players sound good. Radio, there is no hope for. Bing also tested a factory HU and said their is some nasty built in EQing that changes with volume. I have since bought a cheap HU to replace the stock.

Looks like a job for a JL clean sweep...LOL
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #6

DIYMA Novice

Good thing I never listen to radio! And I do mean never. Mostly CD's, iPod or Bluetooth streamed MP3's from my phone. A HU is a sure thing, though. Just not the first thing.

Old 03-15-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Awesome! You coming out to High Point again next month? I want to see this beast in person!!!

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #8

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Awesome! You coming out to High Point again next month? I want to see this beast in person!!!
Yep, I'll be there! Nothing to listen to, though, that's for sure LOL

Old 03-18-2011   #9

DIYMA Novice

Decided on an MS8 instead. Wonder if I can squeeze some gear in for April 30th?

Old 03-18-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Plenty of time!!! I say go for it

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 kenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nice

I was in a similar boat with a head unit. You can get an older SQ head unit very cheaply, I found and went that way. An Alpine CDA 7995 can be had for $100 and is well worth it, even as a placeholder and can be resold later for what you paid.

(Alpine CDA-7995 + JBL MS-8 + [a/d/s PH15])
(HA L3 + PRS720 + 8w3v3 + [emit-n])
= Happy me
kenikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #12

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
I was in a similar boat with a head unit. You can get an older SQ head unit very cheaply, I found and went that way. An Alpine CDA 7995 can be had for $100 and is well worth it, even as a placeholder and can be resold later for what you paid.
I'm actually curious to hear what sort of sound quality the MS-8 can extract from the factory HU. My primary qualifiers for the head unit I'll chose are features. I want ergonomic, aesthetics and convenience. That's why I decided on an external processor. Didn't want to be constrained to a small number of overpriced essque HU's that still leave one wanting.
In short, I wish there were an Android HU already!

Old 03-31-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 slade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enough

just posting as a lazy way to sub.... sorry I missed this earlier Sam.

build log 08 BMW 135i
slade1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 kenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saMxp View Post
I'm actually curious to hear what sort of sound quality the MS-8 can extract from the factory HU. My primary qualifiers for the head unit I'll chose are features. I want ergonomic, aesthetics and convenience. That's why I decided on an external processor. Didn't want to be constrained to a small number of overpriced essque HU's that still leave one wanting.
In short, I wish there were an Android HU already!
My factory HU is soooo bad, that buying an interim was the right solution for me. My ultimate goal is go with a Car PC or Zune HD solution, managed through a touch screen, outputting sound through an outboard HiFi DAC into the AUX IN on my MS-8.

Since I don't want to boil the ocean while doing the Build out, the Alpine was a good bridge until then.

= Happy me
Old 04-01-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 114 bertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura about

Like Ryan, I'm going to post to get you on my subscriptions. It is a beautiful Car - I saw it a couple days before Sam put the professional Guru detail on it. I am anxious to hear your impressions of the MS8.

bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Android head unit = Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Everyone is doing iPads...If I change my HU, it'll be for a Mac Mini w/ Carnetix Power supply/Power button relocation and 7-8" touch screen....runing optical into my Bit One.1

Jay

(Oh, and I am also taking the lazy way to sub... )

Quote:
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #17

DIYMA freshman

You should check out Galaxy Tab installs on MP3car.com...works well. My route will be Windows 7, using Media Center with a Lilliput 7" touch screen that fits a double din opening. That is a great touch experience and I can tether it to my 3G for Last.FM, Pandora, etc. I'll pipe the Toslink into a KingRex DAC, then into the MS-8.

= Happy me
Old 04-17-2011   #18

DIYMA Novice

I need to check out those Galaxy Tab installs because that'd be the ultimate but I have no idea how to get a quality audio signal out of it and into the MS8. Aux in would have more distortion than an iPad through the iPod adapter.

Old 04-17-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I was watching videos of Soundmancaraudio's iPad install in their Tacoma. He did iPad to apple iPad camera/usb adapter to an Onkyo NDS-1 (IIRC) which gives optical out which he fed into his BitOne.

Kind of a round about way of doing it, but effective.

Jay

Quote:
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #20

DIYMA Novice

Progress today! Might even have something to listen at the meet on Saturday.

Got the 4ga run from the batt:

Ran into the fenderwell:

Had to pop off some panels to get access to this boot:

Inside view of the grommet in the driver's side kick panel for the 4ga to pass through:

Then got the PVC cups built up for the Tang Bands:

Really wish I had time to pull the carpet and lay down some MLV and CCF but I pulled the interior apart just to run all the wires to the NX5 and MS8. Sound deadener can come later.

Old 04-29-2011   #21

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 subiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enough

Just an FYI, my drivers side door handle is rattling. Like on the outside. Maybe if you add extra dampening around it, might help. Too late for me, door is already sealed up.
subiemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 Joe0428 will become famous soon enoughJoe0428 will become famous soon enoughJoe0428 will become famous soon enoughJoe0428 will become famous soon enoughJoe0428 will become famous soon enoughJoe0428 will become famous soon enough

I love the PVC end-caps. Good luck to you man.
Joe0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #23

DIYMA Novice

Thanks for the heads up! Going to tackle the door this afternoon.
It blows my mind that Subaru's solution to squeaking panels is a thin, fragile coat of felting on the snaps. This is going to be an ongoing project!

This message brought by hTC EVO using Tapatalk

Old 04-29-2011   #24

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0428 View Post
I love the PVC end-caps. Good luck to you man.
Haha, can't claim credit for that idea! Going to use them to experiment with aiming before finding a more permanent solution.

This message brought by hTC EVO using Tapatalk

Old 04-29-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 114 bertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura aboutbertholomey has a spectacular aura about

Can't wait to see it / hear it this weekend - Great Job!

bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote