LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011   #26

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: ODJ's 1988 VW Jetta

Company is finally out of the house so I was able to get a little bit of work done this weekend. Third and final coat of Spectrum has been applied to all four doors and the trunk lid.

I plan to hang the amp rack from the rear deck, so I measured out on some scrap 1/2" MDF that ended up being the perfect width. It'll be cut to length (~15"), primed and painted.

The distro blocks (fused pos, unfused neg) and barrier strips will be mounted on the underside of the board, and wires run through holes drilled. Crossover and gain controls will face rearward so I can tinker with them fairly easily when installed.

Sunday morning I started on the bass knob project. Started with this:

There's a small board attached to the potentiometer.

To minimize the number of RCA cables I have in the install, I desoldered the female lead, and soldered in a longer male lead that'll plug into the sub out on the head unit.

I had to dremel out the back of the switch blank a little bit to get everything to fit in.

Looks pretty decent, and tested out fine, no audible loss of volume on my test rig, and no noise from the pot when turned.

Small victory for the weekend, but at least it's progress... and that's what counts.

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
odj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Mikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enough

Sell me those duostyling gauges. Awesome! I love those.

Turntabilism. I do it.
Mikcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikcuz View Post
Sell me those duostyling gauges. Awesome! I love those.
Nah, I won't be selling them any time soon. I've wanted a set since '06 or so, and have been hoarding these for the last two years. I finally think he stopped selling them, too.

I dunno if you'd be interested for your Golf, as this really looks best on a white/light one, but I'm selling the Treser heckblende & tails from my old Golf:

BTW, last week I met a friend of a friend who used to work at a stereo shop, and he's got a PPI DEQ-230 that I'm likely going to pick up. 30 channels of old school quality EQ! win

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
Old 05-05-2011   #29

DIYMA freshman

Not much of a progress report per se, but I picked up the DEQ-230 last night. Much to my delight, it's a grey unit and not a white one. (I, unlike most on this forum it seems, am not a fan of the looks of the white PPI stuff)

No progress is likely this weekend since I'm booked solid, but I hope to dig back in full force next week.

Old 05-16-2011   #30

DIYMA freshman

In the interest of thoroughness, I've been stripping the factory sound deadener off of the floors. I finally found the right method - heat gun with a scraper. My buddy Justin came over yesterday and brought a second heat gun, and we went at it until the floors are ready for the next stage - being taken down to bare metal.

This was a lot of work, and probably completely unnecessary. I only found a minute amount of surface rust, but the plan is to coat the floors with a couple coats of Por-15 to fend off any future rust growth. I've dealt with enough of these cars in the past rusting to smithereens to want to go through that again. Here's the floors as they sit:

Old 05-16-2011   #31

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
S&S Customs
Position:
head broom pusher

Rep Power: 77 SSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj23 View Post
In the interest of thoroughness, I've been stripping the factory sound deadener off of the floors. I finally found the right method - heat gun with a scraper. My buddy Justin came over yesterday and brought a second heat gun, and we went at it until the floors are ready for the next stage - being taken down to bare metal.

This was a lot of work, and probably completely unnecessary. I only found a minute amount of surface rust, but the plan is to coat the floors with a couple coats of Por-15 to fend off any future rust growth. I've dealt with enough of these cars in the past rusting to smithereens to want to go through that again. Here's the floors as they sit:

A giant pain in the ass, but worth the effort if you plan to keep the Car for a while!
SSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #32

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCustoms View Post
A giant pain in the ass, but worth the effort if you plan to keep the Car for a while!
Yeah, I'm hoping I like it when it's done - I have a habit of going through cars pretty quickly (20 cars in 14 years). Regardless, I hate rust even more than most else automotive

Old 05-22-2011   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Don't know if you made it to SOWO. if you did we probably crossed paths.. Drove my kid's gti down, got some video of the drive up from chattanooga..

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon DEX-P01/P9 - DEQ-P9 - XDV-P90 (All Digital Source)
Beyma Front Stage- DAT TDX12D4 - Xtant Amps (X604 (2) & X1001)
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #34

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
Don't know if you made it to SOWO. if you did we probably crossed paths.. Drove my kid's gti down, got some video of the drive up from chattanooga..
Nah, I went to Vegas a few weeks ago, and that pretty much ate up my travelling budget for the next few months. How was it?

Old 05-23-2011   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Crazy, bigger than last year.. VWoA had the GTI-R there. Ton load of mk6 on RS, B5 S4s, mk5 on RS, cars on bags.. Overall, good show with a few asshats thrown around between saturday and sunday some people had small things stolen.. Oh, I drank too much and got sun burned..

Old 05-24-2011   #36

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Crazy, bigger than last year.. VWoA had the GTI-R there. Ton load of mk6 on RS, B5 S4s, mk5 on RS, cars on bags.. Overall, good show with a few asshats thrown around between saturday and sunday some people had small things stolen.. Oh, I drank too much and got sun burned..
Ugh... the douchebag influx. I think they're what will keep me away from future shows.

That's cool tho - I would have liked to go, just wasn't in the cards. Maybe next year. Hopefully I'll have this Car done by then LOL.

BTW - I got my replacement amp in yesterday. It incurred a little bit of shipping damage, unfortunately, but I can fix it. I'll have some pics up in a bit.

Old 05-24-2011   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

That;s cool, yes I need to get done with my A4 soon as well.. my kid is trying to do the full drive this time by himself. and me following in my A4.. should be interesting..

Old 05-30-2011   #38

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
That;s cool, yes I need to get done with my A4 soon as well.. my kid is trying to do the full drive this time by himself. and me following in my A4.. should be interesting..
Nice. How old is he?

Old 05-30-2011   #39

DIYMA freshman

I got a little more time this evening to work on a fairly small project.

On a junkyard trip a few years ago, my buddy and I found two of these half-DIN cupholders just sitting on the ground, already removed for us.

I finally got around to using it today

I cut the ash tray out, marked the hole for the cupholder to fit:

Cut it out and test fit.

I decided to flush fit the cupholder, then cut a piece out of a spare console to cover the big gaping hole I'd left over. Cut another hole in teh side and installed the cig lighter socket.

Gotta clean everything up once it dries. It's a good five footer, which is pretty much all it needs to be.

I have no idea if it'll clear the shifter once it's installed. If not I'll scrap it and start again.

Tested out my "new" amp this weekend as well.

And my buddy busted out this big son of a b*tch. Sweet Poison A7000+

No clue why the writing is upside down on this one.

I know some of you are fabrication masters, so please don't laugh at my hokey shit

Old 05-30-2011   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 NIU_Huskies will become famous soon enoughNIU_Huskies will become famous soon enoughNIU_Huskies will become famous soon enoughNIU_Huskies will become famous soon enoughNIU_Huskies will become famous soon enoughNIU_Huskies will become famous soon enough

That brings back memories. My first Car was a 1988 Volkswagen Jetta coupe. Bought it in '01 and got rid of it in '03. It had Power nothing and was a 5-speed. Makes you appreciate Power steering.

Had too many mechanical and electrical issues. Put A LOT of money into that Car just to keep it running and then right before i got rid of it the radiator starting leaking due to a crack.

I modified the rear deck to fit 6x9s. I remember those door panels were practically thin cardboard.

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X995 head unit l AudioControl DQX l Hertz ML165 Mids l Rainbow Germanium Cal 25 Silk Tweeters l JL Audio G6600 Amp l Pioneer TS-A6991R 5-way 6"x9" l 2x Hertz HX300 12" subwoofers l Memphis 16-MC1.1100 Amp
NIU_Huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #41

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIU_Huskies View Post
That brings back memories. My first Car was a 1988 Volkswagen Jetta coupe. Bought it in '01 and got rid of it in '03. It had Power nothing and was a 5-speed. Makes you appreciate Power steering.

Had too many mechanical and electrical issues. Put A LOT of money into that Car just to keep it running and then right before i got rid of it the radiator starting leaking due to a crack.

I modified the rear deck to fit 6x9s. I remember those door panels were practically thin cardboard.
Yeah, they're like any other old car and can eat your wallet up pretty quickly, especially if someone else is doing the work.

The door cards are some sort of pressed cardboard or hardboard. Either way they suck.

Old 05-31-2011   #42

DIYMA freshman

I got the floors fully stripped. There was a little bit of tar left here and there, but I got really tired of doing this part of the project and moved on. Here they are soaking in MetalReady in preparation for the Por-15.

After two coats of Por-15:

In between coats I put in one of the new front window seals and trunk seal from FAW-VW China.

And hit the trunk with some RaamMat BXT (orig)

Can't have a project Car without Window Cocks.

Old 07-12-2011   #43

DIYMA freshman

A couple weeks ago, I fixed a burnt fuse holder (4th speed fan switch, so says the intarwebs), pulled the old cheesy amp Power wires and leaking grommet, removed as much of the rest of the factory sound deadening schmutz as possilble, and laid down some RaamMat BXT2. It was hot as balls so I went back in and had a beer.

All of the RaamMat has been laid down as of this past weekend (on floors and firewall bulkhead) and Ensolite over top. Man this stuff really cut down echoes in the car!

The Ensolite conforms to floor contours pretty damn well, and sticks like a champ with the glue Raam provides. I have a few wrinkles, but I'm going to have another layer of padding over top of them, so I'm not worried.

Thanks to Justin for all the help with that!

I really wanted to switch back to the earlier hatch plinth, but I see why my buddy Tim (PO) converted to the later style cover. Old busted KMFDM sticker and some surface rust. Yuck.

Most of the clips for the rear plinth cover thing were pretty borked up, so I replaced them with these rubber compression grommets from Home Despot. There's a threaded insert in the end, and as you screw down they compress around the back to create an anchor and seal as well.

Here's how they sit installed

That's it for now. I'm kinda held up at the moment waiting for the replacement antenna. After that I'll button up the firewall and install the dash.

Old 07-12-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Hey, if you need anything Mk2 related, let me know, we sold my kid's GTI, to do a 5sp swap on a B5 A4. So I have a CE2 fuse blocks, MAFs, and a few other things..

Old 07-12-2011   #45

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Hey, if you need anything Mk2 related, let me know, we sold my kid's GTI, to do a 5sp swap on a B5 A4. So I have a CE2 fuse blocks, MAFs, and a few other things..
Hmm, I'm pretty good on parts AFAIK - do you have a FS thread up that I could peruse?

Old 07-12-2011   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

we have some stuff posted on the Vortex under 99BlackA4. But I think right now it's a 02A transmission..

Old 07-12-2011   #47

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
we have some stuff posted on the Vortex under 99BlackA4. But I think right now it's a 02A transmission..
Fair enough. I'm ODJ over there in case you get a PM from me

Old 07-12-2011   #48

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 nar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enoughnar93da will become famous soon enough

Looking good! I've always liked these old school VW but I'm partial to Honda.

A little advice if I may. Try using dry ice next time on the factory deadener. You won't have to mess with scrapping tar if your lucky. It's never failed for me yet but the Car is pretty old.
nar93da is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #49

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
S&S Customs
Position:
head broom pusher

Rep Power: 77 SSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj23 View Post

Most of the clips for the rear plinth cover thing were pretty borked up, so I replaced them with these rubber compression grommets from Home Despot. There's a threaded insert in the end, and as you screw down they compress around the back to create an anchor and seal as well.

FYI...the rubber things you used are called wellnuts. They are used pretty extensively on the bodywork of sportbikes.
SSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #50

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nar93da View Post
Looking good! I've always liked these old school VW but I'm partial to Honda.

A little advice if I may. Try using dry ice next time on the factory deadener. You won't have to mess with scrapping tar if your lucky. It's never failed for me yet but the Car is pretty old.
Thanks. I like my Hondas as well (owned a Civic for a while, considered an S2000 before going for the MINI), but have stuck with the VWs for a while - if for no other reason than I've been working on them, parting them out, and hoarding parts for them for about 8 years now.

The dry ice trick was the only one I'd heard of that I didn't try - I figured buying/transporting dry ice was going to be a PITA, especially since I didn't know when I was going to have time to work on it until shortly beforehand. Nonetheless, I appreciate the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCustoms View Post
FYI...the rubber things you used are called wellnuts. They are used pretty extensively on the bodywork of sportbikes.
Oh sweet! I think you just saved me from having to buy those at Home Depot again. Thanks!