LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: ODJ's 1988 VW Jetta

It's been a while since I updated this thread... haven't done much in the way of audio since I last posted though... it's been all mechanical stuff for the most part.

I wasn't very happy with the look or sound of my sail panel tweeter setup, so I decided to mount 'em in the factory dash location.

So, I took one of the OG speakers from my buddy's dash

sliced that dirty slut with a dremel

cut out some plastic and added a layer of Ensolite

and made a chinsy bracket thing to go on the back.

Mounted that bizzle in the dash. (I put the cover back on after the pic)

Part of the reason I left my wiring so "modular" was for situations like these. I just ran new wires from the dash to the kick area, and swapped out the leads from the old tweet spot to the new one. So, since I have both tweeter housings already, I can move them back to the sails if I wish.

So, it went from this

... to this.

And not only does it sound a lot better, but it looks a f*ckton nicer in there. I busted out some of the CDs that I used to tune with back in the day and got it dialed in pretty good, just using the 6 band EQ that comes with the head unit. Not perfect, but a lot better.

I have dreams of buying an RTA setup and tuning that way, but meh... we'll see.

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
odj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #102

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Here's a quick overview of the other schtuff I've been doing with the old girl since September...

Sourced a good condition trim piece for the front door, all new OEM clips

Purchased & fit black C pillar and headliner trim.

New complete exhaust, front motor mount, knock sensor

RAPID valve cover

Coilovers

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
Old 02-22-2012   #103

DIYMA freshman

Rear brake cylinder replace & full bleed

Re-blacked the rear bumper

Fixed the driver's seat base

started installing a new rear sway bar

And took some pics... with my phone

Old 02-22-2012   #104

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Im not usually a vw fan but im really like the care and attention that are being given to all the upgrades on this car, very nice sir!
Thrill_House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #105

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 jockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enough

That valve cover is dope!!!!

have you thought about doing the Multi-rib belt swap to this jetta?

I just did it to my 1991. Deleted 2 vbelts!!! Power steering is the only thing still on vbelt.

Volkswagen MK2 (MKII) belt swap/conversion - YouTube

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS ,380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators, Exile X5 (for sale) running 2 12 inch Ascendant Audio Mayhems, Audison LRx 6.9k on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
jockhater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #106

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
That valve cover is dope!!!!

have you thought about doing the Multi-rib belt swap to this jetta?

I just did it to my 1991. Deleted 2 vbelts!!! Power steering is the only thing still on vbelt.
Thanks dude, I've wanted a Rapid VC for years. Always loved 'em. Just finally found one at a good price.

I have all the bits for the serp conversion minus a known good AC Compressor. Once I can sort one of those I'll do it. I'd really like to have working AC on this Car

Here's the conversion on the engine I built for my last MK2:

Old 02-22-2012   #107

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 jockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enoughjockhater2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj23 View Post
Thanks dude, I've wanted a Rapid VC for years. Always loved 'em. Just finally found one at a good price.

I have all the bits for the serp conversion minus a known good AC Compressor. Once I can sort one of those I'll do it. I'd really like to have working AC on this Car

Here's the conversion on the engine I built for my last MK2:

JUST GORGEOUS. Are you on vwvortex?

Did you have the problem with the Power steering pulley and the fact that it was crooked with the crank pulley? I did. I had to put nuts in between the p/s pulley and the pump to correct the offset.

What is a rapid valve cover anyways?

Your going to do the conversion and keep A/C? I think thats where it gets pricey.

I ditched the A/C. I might do a 2nd alternator in the future.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS ,380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators, Exile X5 (for sale) running 2 12 inch Ascendant Audio Mayhems, Audison LRx 6.9k on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
Old 02-22-2012   #108

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill_House View Post
Im not usually a vw fan but im really like the care and attention that are being given to all the upgrades on this car, very nice sir!
Thanks dude

Old 02-22-2012   #109

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
JUST GORGEOUS. Are you on vwvortex?

Did you have the problem with the Power steering pulley and the fact that it was crooked with the crank pulley? I did. I had to put nuts in between the p/s pulley and the pump to correct the offset.

What is a rapid valve cover anyways?

Your going to do the conversion and keep A/C? I think thats where it gets pricey.

I ditched the A/C. I might do a 2nd alternator in the future.
Thanks! That was a great motor. ABA block, p&p head, 270 cam, ported intake mani... awesome midrange power... perfect driver

Yup, "odj" on Vortex. Been there since '01.

I don't remember what I did about the PS pulley. I am pretty sure I had the pump & pulley from a MK3, and used that. Dunno for sure tho

Dunno if Rapid just made stuff for the MK1/MK2 8v motors or if they were one of the super vee dudes (like Bertils). Pretty sure it's the former though.

I'd like AC. I hate showing up places with a sweaty back.

Old 02-22-2012   #110

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Thanks! That was a great motor. ABA block, p&p head, 270 cam, ported intake mani... awesome midrange power... perfect driver

Yup, "odj" on Vortex. Been there since '01.

I don't remember what I did about the PS pulley. I am pretty sure I had the pump & pulley from a MK3, and used that. Dunno for sure tho

Dunno if Rapid just made stuff for the MK1/MK2 8v motors or if they were one of the super vee dudes (like Bertils). Pretty sure it's the former though.

I'd like AC. I hate showing up places with a sweaty back.
I live in wisconsin. So A/C is definitely a joke in this state.

Ok. Thats essentially what I did. I used my p/s pump in an mk3 bracket.
I just found out about vwvortex about 6 months ago. Love the site. I've already bought TONS of used parts HAHA.

My jetta has no bawls...She is a dog. And about to only get slower.

Old 02-22-2012   #111

DIYMA Novice

oh btw. The size of that camshaft makes me laugh. Mine is the stock size. Yours has to be at least 2 1/2 times that.

Old 06-03-2012   #112

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 nismo4life will become famous soon enoughnismo4life will become famous soon enoughnismo4life will become famous soon enoughnismo4life will become famous soon enoughnismo4life will become famous soon enoughnismo4life will become famous soon enough

I hate how clean your MK2 is >.<. I wish I could find a rust free small bumper jetta that clean!
nismo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #113

DIYMA freshman

What's up DIYMA crew!

I've been kinda MIA for a bit on this thread. Not a lot to report on the stereo front in the last few months.

Biggest thing I did, stereo-wise, was to put some polyfill in the front door enclosures. That helped bring some midbass up front. Still not perfect though.

Otherwise I listened a lot and tweaked with the EQ and high/low pass settings in the deck. Also figured out that one of the channels on my sub RCA is bad, and I borked up wiring between the deck and the rear speakers somewhere in the dash. *shrug*

So, I put a cheap ass system in a beater Ranger I picked up, and just had to post about it here... then got back into checking hot deals and classifieds every few days.... and, well, you know how it goes. My new DEH-80PRS should arrive next week

I plan to run full active (hi/mid/sub) and just pull out the rear deck speakers. From the reading I've done so far I'm not sure if I can run the tweeters off of the head unit's Power as part of the networked mode. So... I'm considering a 5 channel amp to replace the ESX, most likely a class D. That damn ESX weighs a TON.

Anyhow... I'll post more about that stuff when I get to it. Here's a quick summary of all the other work I've been doing on the Car as of late:

Trimmed the front fenders

Rolled the rears

New wheels & tires

New motor mounts, new exhaust

Old 09-05-2012   #114

DIYMA freshman

Picked up some awesome waterproof fuse holders & relays, and relayed the headlights

Flushed coolant, new water pump, new thermostat

Installed my FOHA spoiler

New dash bezel

New windshield (Por-15'd the channel first)

OH! I started building a 1.8T to go in next summer Aiming for ~250whp/300wtq

Old 09-05-2012   #115

DIYMA Novice

i am just so jelly of you.

Old 09-05-2012   #116

DIYMA freshman

LOL Don't be dude, this Car drives me nuts!

Old 09-05-2012   #117

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
At least it looks gorgeous

Old 09-05-2012   #118
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Patience, Patience.. LOL.. I know how you feel..

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon DEX-P01/P9 - DEQ-P9 - XDV-P90 (All Digital Source)
Beyma Front Stage- DAT TDX12D4 - Xtant Amps (X604 (2) & X1001)
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #119

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 mcqueena will become famous soon enoughmcqueena will become famous soon enoughmcqueena will become famous soon enoughmcqueena will become famous soon enoughmcqueena will become famous soon enoughmcqueena will become famous soon enough

Quote:
From the reading I've done so far I'm not sure if I can run the tweeters off of the head unit's Power as part of the networked mode. So... I'm considering a 5 channel amp to replace the ESX, most likely a class D. That damn ESX weighs a TON.
You can run tweeters off the head unit and the mids and subs off the RCAs in network mode. Be sure to follow the manual, it's a little confusing as to what is the mid and high on the outputs.
mcqueena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #120

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
At least it looks gorgeous
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
Patience, Patience.. LOL.. I know how you feel..
It sucks. I'm back to four cars to babysit now, too. First world problems, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueena View Post
You can run tweeters off the head unit and the mids and subs off the RCAs in network mode. Be sure to follow the manual, it's a little confusing as to what is the mid and high on the outputs.
Ha! I was just reading some of your posts toward the end of the ginormous 800PRS thread. Cool... I saw that a few people chimed in that you can run internal amp.

Now I can stop shopping for new amps. My wife would be pissed!