LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Default ODJ's 1988 VW Jetta

Alright, It's been a few years since I've done an install, so I'm chomping at the bit to get back into the game.

I'm using a bunch of stuff I've got sitting around at the moment, plus a head unit I still have to pick up. Most of it's mid-grade, but so is the car, and so is my budget

Here's my victim. 1988 VW Jetta. Mostly stock, nice and clean. Good second Car to have around (and augment my "fleet" of two door hatchbacks).

Here's the proposed layout:

I've got a couple of quarts(?) of Second Skin Spectrum, about half a roll of RaamMat BXT, some Ensolite, and a few odd patches of Dynamat Extreme, tons of Wire and terminals/blocks, lots of spare MDF, and a wee bit of free time.

I plan to fire the sub through the opening between the rear seats, which looks like zis:

Here's another chap's install. Mine will be similar, most likely.

The amps will mount to the space to either side of the sub enclosure. Tweets in the "sail panels", woofers in the stock location.

My plan of attack is as follows:

1. Pull interior, clean it, let it dry.
2. Deaden doors, floors, firewall, trunk
3. modify door enclosures, mount woofer & tweeter
4. Build & install sub box
5. run all wiring
6. put interior back in
7. enjoy!

Anywho, this is probably going to take a while. Most of my impetus in creating this thread is to remind me that I have to finish stuff. Plus I like documentation, for some odd reason.

Wish me luck!

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
odj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 odj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enoughodj23 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: ODJ's 1988 VW Jetta

So I got a little time this weekend to get started. Please forgive the crappy iPhone pics and zip zop photoshop job.

Messed up vapor barrier

Cleaned up inner door, with a nice thick coat of Spectrum

Door panel and plastic tray

Started installing aluminum flashing.

The crap photoshop job is my plan for an mdf panel and rings to mount the woofer to.

Cut a hole in the door panel

Shot with the door panel and plastic tray temporarily installed. The MDF rings will bring the woofer flush to the surface of the plastic tray. I'll use some textured plastic to finish off the tray part, and likely get a Speaker grill from PE: 6" 2-Piece Steel Mesh Speaker Grill Black

This is how I plan to mount the tweets in the sail panel. I'll cut a hole in the existing plastic sail panel cover so that the tweet sits flush - or space it out with a black painted PVC ring.

That's about it for now. More progress to come.

'10 Clubman S | '08 Cooper S | '88 Jetta | '88 Ranger | Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
Old 04-02-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

I spent a good bit of the day cleaning up the workshop, putting together the requisite bits, and picking up supplies.

Here's the hardware so far. The DEH-P7200HD is on its way from Amazon

The Zaph woofers are going to be a tight fit in the factory door panel... and I'm going to have to get things VERY well aligned to avoid mucho trimmage.

Boring photo of a crap load of Power wire

After doing a bunch of reading on the forum, I decided to do the door mount & rings in plastic rather than MDF. The doors are pretty damn leaky as is so I figure this will keep me from having to replace soggy MDF down the road. I picked up a couple of black cutting boards from Target:

Went down to Lowes to pick up some hardware (had a coupon), got a crapload of MDF as well, for the trunk. Fit all three of those sheets in the back of the MINI... LOL.

I've had a crack-free MK2 dash sitting in the stash for years. Guess now I have something to use it on.

Anywho - hopefully I'll get a little time tomorrow to work on the car.

Last edited by odj23; 04-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: derp
Old 04-02-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 memphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enough

Looks like your off to a good start. Subscribed
memphiskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphiskane View Post
Looks like your off to a good start. Subscribed
Thanks! I got a lot of work in Sunday and today. Bit of an update to follow...

Old 04-04-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

I was suffering from a super hangover Sunday, so I did some measuring and planning. Looks like I'll need a couple more cutting boards to properly space these speakers out to nearly the end of the plastic door tray thing.

I doubt I'll really feel like carpeting the box, so I picked up a couple cans of this textured spray paint - which, surprisingly - is pretty much the same texture/color as the cutting boards. LOL.

Awesome fantastic CAD drawings. (riiight)

Today was beautiful out, so I spent it doing whatever any nutjob would do - pulling the whole interior out of the car. Here's it with seats out.

Rear carpets out. It smelled of a thousand years of dog piss in there. Mold & mildew city. There was still water underneath the factory sound deadening.

Dash out. All requisite wires labeled. I've been down this path with no labels before... ugh.

This thread was looking pretty sad from a photographic standpoint, so I busted out the DSLR after I was done for the day. I love Oregon cars, btw - not a single bit of rot anywhere on these floors.

Facing front...

Facing rear...

Here's my "handiwork" from the other day. I really don't like how it came out. I'll probably pick up some DynaPlate and re-do it.

Old 04-04-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

View through the rear seat pass through.

The rear deck is going to get a layer of mat & some Ensolite. I'm thinking of leaving the old busted speakers (from my buddy's e30) in there. I think they'll be good theft deterrent.

From the trunk opening.

I think I'm going to Build a board and hang the amps from the rear deck. They won't fit aside the rear box on behind the seat, and I'd rather not nullify the spare tire area.

[img][/img]

Got back inside to find some goodies came in the mail today. I'm going to leave the factory battery wiring alone, run Power wires and "big tres" off the front GM-style battery bolts on the Red Top.

And I'll close out with a sorta decent shot of old Ellen:

so just in case you haven't noticed by now, this Build is going to take a while. I'm expecting new window/door/trunk seals in in the next two weeks or so, at which point I'll be replacing all of them. Then.. well, we'll see.

Old 04-05-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
SpeakerCity
Position:
Autotech Basic

Rep Power: 49 ryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enough

banana oil! those are some fine cad drawings sir!!
ryomanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryomanx View Post
banana oil! those are some fine cad drawings sir!!
Banana Oil?

Thank you.

I've decided the sub box will be 12h x 15w x 9d, which will yield a .615cu ft volume - that's .015 greater than manufacturer recommendation... I'll go ahead without any batting inside the box at first and see how it sounds.

I'm going to need to cut the pass through opening a little bit, since the OD of the woofer's basket is 10", and the pass through is something like 9" (My awesome CAD drawings are a bit hard to read from here). Maybe I'll put an additional board on the Speaker side of the box to recess it a bit so that there's no concern of the surround making contact with the seat back at full excursion (which it'll probably never see, but c'est la vie).

I've got my installer buddy checking into a good deal on some DynaPlate - if it's going to be too pricey I'll just continue with the aluminum flashing.

Old 04-06-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Got my HU in the mail yesterday:

I pulled all of the wiring (and the Infinity 3.5's) out of the old dash, and started working on the new one.

I pulled out a trusty helper

Cleaned the dash a bit, put a little dynamat on the flat portions, put in new screw end zip ties.

I trimmed out unnecessary wiring and the old HU's plugs, hooked everything up with bullet connectors for easy removal/troubleshooting, and fit the new HU

The bezel was modded by whomever owned the Car the dash was pulled from - it's not the cleanest, but it'll work 'til I find a new bezel.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the looks of the 7200, but it has a few features I wanted - HD radio, iPhone 3gs support, and internal crossover controls. I almost wish I'd kept the minty 800PRS I'd picked up, but I doubt I'll go full active, and wanted a more modern iPhone control.

I cleaned up the top and face of the dash a bit - it's pretty much ready to be reinstalled. There are a couple of smudges on the top that I couldn't get out - but I'll live with it. The rest of the interior is far from perfect. This is a "beater build" after all

I've got some really neat gauges to install. They match the factory switch blanks, and will give me readouts for voltage, A/F ratio, oil pressure, and oil temp. Just need to pick up about $70 worth of sensors to make it work. Ahh... spending money.

Since everything's out of the Car and in the house I can do some work inside in the evenings. Work schedule and wedding planning are going to curtail my weekend time expenditures to some extent.

Old 04-06-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

I remember having a Jetta torn apart like that.. Sucks that it had title issues so I parted ways with it. Would have been an easy Car to Build too..

Good look with the install.. I see you are following the MK2 BBS trend.. SOWO this year?

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon DEX-P01/P9 - DEQ-P9 - XDV-P90 (All Digital Source)
Beyma Front Stage- DAT TDX12D4 - Xtant Amps (X604 (2) & X1001)
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
I remember having a Jetta torn apart like that.. Sucks that it had title issues so I parted ways with it. Would have been an easy Car to Build too..

Good look with the install.. I see you are following the MK2 BBS trend.. SOWO this year?
Ugh, title issues are the worst. I've had to part out a couple of otherwise good shells because of the same.

Hehehe... they're not RSes, so I don't feel like too much of a sheep. They came with the Car anyhow.

I'm thinking of heading out to SOWO this year. I'd probably drive the MINI, cos I'm not so sure this thing will be done by then. How about yourself?

Old 04-06-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Right now it's either my A4 or my kid's mk2 GTI (VR6), should be a great trip he's actually driving this time instead of me being his chauffeur.

We are looking for another shell to swap everything into it, we found some things on the current shell that aren't going to cut (rear right quarter panel took a big hit and the PO didn't mention it).. Definitely would have loved to Build a Jetta up, had the previous one all planned out just, decided to go another route, b5 Pissant Wagon instead as a daily for the Mrs (well that's what she thinks anyways).

Old 04-07-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Right now it's either my A4 or my kid's mk2 GTI (VR6), should be a great trip he's actually driving this time instead of me being his chauffeur.

We are looking for another shell to swap everything into it, we found some things on the current shell that aren't going to cut (rear right quarter panel took a big hit and the PO didn't mention it).. Definitely would have loved to Build a Jetta up, had the previous one all planned out just, decided to go another route, b5 Pissant Wagon instead as a daily for the Mrs (well that's what she thinks anyways).
Ahh right on - VAG family. Good luck on the shell - if I see anything interesting out there I'll let you know.

Old 04-07-2011   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 vwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enough

brings back many memories for me...my mk2 took a crap load of rammatt and ensolite, still never got it "quiet"....maybe the VR with a 2.5" SS cat back didnt help. anyway, some pics you may appreciate:

vwtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Damn, that's one clean Golf. I really like the brown.

The interior came out very nicely, too. What did you have in it, equipment-wise?

This Car will never be that clean - I just don't have the patience or budget for it. I'll be happy with "quieter than before and some good sounding tunes".

It's a stock 8v with the 4-1 mani on it right now - I've got a GTI 4-2-1 mani & DP and a 2.25" straight back with borla in the stash. I'm kinda debating just leaving it alone so I don't have to suffer the drone I had in the last Golf ("built" 8v/header/no cat/2.25" w/ borla). That ish was unacceptable, especially with the solid mounts. ugh.

If you have any tips/tricks to share, it'd be much appreciated.

Old 04-07-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

do the 4-2-1, trust me on this you will appreciate it.. About that Vr6 drone, good thing that's not my daily but my kids.. So sucks to be him... LOL...

But will say this, Vr6 sure does sound nice..

Old 04-07-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Mikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enough

Loved Der Turds Car back in the day.
Mikcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Mikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enoughMikcuz will become famous soon enough

Go to SOWO dude! Its gonna rule.
Old 04-07-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Trying to get my post count up so I can post this Build thread I just put together with links and pics that dont work till I get to 30. Its a 1991 vw 16v. Your looking good btw. Loving the wheels....what are they?
Old 04-08-2011   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
do the 4-2-1, trust me on this you will appreciate it.. About that Vr6 drone, good thing that's not my daily but my kids.. So sucks to be him... LOL...

But will say this, Vr6 sure does sound nice..
VR is a sexy sounding motor for sure

I'm going to do the 4-2. Just gotta get the stereo & brakes done first. I've got a brake pedal that sticks occasionally - think I've narrowed it down to the booster. So, I have a replacement booster, 22mm MC, 10.1 brakes & hubs from a 16v GLI. After that and the stereo, I've got a Bildon RSB & the full exhaust to install - if the govt shutdown happens (as it appears it will), I'll have a whole week to work on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikcuz View Post
Go to SOWO dude! Its gonna rule.
It's looking like a no deal this year. Gotta go to Vegas in May for my future brother-in-law's bachelor party. Saving my vacation time for my own wedding/honeymoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikcuz View Post
Trying to get my post count up so I can post this Build thread I just put together with links and pics that dont work till I get to 30. Its a 1991 vw 16v. Your looking good btw. Loving the wheels....what are they?
I saw your thread last night - looking sexy, man! I'll be tuned in for progress.

Old 04-08-2011   #22

DIYMA freshman

Oh, and the wheels are e30 325ix BBS. 15x7 ET 40-something. 1" spacers on the rear

Old 04-11-2011   #23

DIYMA freshman

I spent some time Saturday working on the dash. As it is, I think it's ready to go back into the car.

Duostyle gauges installed. I really like these things. They're a bit pricey (~$240 for a set of four, including the A/F meter, which I decided to leave out), but they fit in just like the factory switch blanks and make for a very neat install.

Here's how they fit in. The construction is pretty darn nice - guy wraps them up with heat shrink and insulates everything with some sort of plastic.

Since the signal wires for the oil pressure & temperature gauges are the same color, I used some clear heat shrink wrap to keep the labels on. My trick heat gun holder (aka a roll of tape) works really well

My buddy Justin brought over some of this really nice fabric tape, which I used wherever the wires might come in contact with the dash. Should help avoid any unnecessary rattles. The adhesive-backed Wire stays are from some KVM dongles I installed at work - Didn't need them for the install and figured I'd be able to use them somewhere. Turns out it's in my dash LOL.

I also used a bit here and there wherever plastic surfaces such as the dash bezel come in contact with the dash structure.

I used some dynamat to seal up the Speaker holes in the dash.

And finalized the wiring for the head unit. I'm going to keep Power run to the rear speakers off the head unit... might upgrade the rear speaks down the road.

That's about it for now. Some interior cleanup is to follow.

Last edited by odj23; 04-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: infos
Old 04-15-2011   #24

DIYMA freshman

I've been busy this week, on some not-so-glamorous stuff.

I spent a few hours shampooing the interior in my basement on Tuesday. I borrowed my buddy's little shampoo/vac thing, which seems to be working OK.

Here's the rear carpet after - I'd say the vac removes about 60% of the schmutz.

The door cards had been getting wet for god knows how long, and were moldy and wavy - so I took the most trashed one, cleaned the cloth side, and used the cleaning liquid to soak the back pretty well. I then laid down a couple of floor tiles, a couple gallons of paint, and a computer case to keep it flat. It's now been that way for a few days - I'll see if it's straightened out at all this weekend.

It's a crap photo, I know, but the phone can only do so much.

Here's the removed water after the rear carpet, most of the front, one of the door cards, and the driver's seat:

On an audio-related note - I picked up some BXTII and Ensolite IOU Peel & Stick, a barrier strip, and a few other small odds and ends for the install. Last night after work I cleaned out the rest of the doors and trunk lid, and put down a coat of Spectrum. I'm going to do three coats on all the doors and trunk lid.

I have to say - I really prefer the installation of a CLD tile over painting the sludge. It seems to be much more sensitive to a clean surface for adhesion, and it's quite messy to install. Plus, you need at least 2-3 coats for manufacturer recommended install. It takes much longer than just slapping some CLD tiles in.

Old 04-18-2011   #25

DIYMA freshman

Well, the door card came out nice and flat. It's nearly dry at this point. The cardboard backing is cracked, so I'm going to use a Dynamat tile to reinforce it. I've found some door cards $40 for a set of four, but for now I'm going to try and rehab these.

The later GLI cars had a really nice set of Recaro seats and matching door cards - I'll keep my eyes out for those.

This weekend saw some small progress. I got the third and final coat of Spectrum on the Driver's door:

Second coat on the rest of the doors. I left the factory tar squares installed b/c they were being a royal PITA.

And did a second coat on the trunk lid. It kinda matches the paint, but I might cover it over with some Ensolite regardless.

I've got company in town for the next week or so, so I spent a large part of my day Sunday reorganizing the basement, stashing an entire Jetta interior about the house. I've got carpet hanging from the ceiling in the laundry room, seats up on shelves and tied to the ceiling, etc. I'm beginning to feel a bit of a hoarder... LOL.

I have a small project this week, which will (actually) finalize the dash - I pulled apart the bass knob, and I'm going to solder in some male RCA leads and install the knob in my remaining dash blank. I measured up everything and it looks like it'll fit just fine. I just figure that the fewer RCA cables I use, the better - plus I don't have any short, malleable cables - so I'll just cut apart one I've got sitting around and use it.