DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 Monte Carlo LT Build

Tags
press fit
74K views 658 replies 63 participants last post by  highly 
#1 ·
Intro! If you just want pretty pictures, keep scrolling, there’s a ton. If you have 3 minutes to spare, read on.

Finally starting a build log for my 05 Monte Carlo LT. A little bit about the car: I decided to go with the red/black/chrome theme, and began adding little accents soon after I got the car.

Red stripe:

Seat/steering wheel covers:

Carbon fiber Di-Noc /vent trim:

Brake calipers. While working on painting the front two calipers, I did a stupid thing and jacked up both wheels. The tire jacks caved as I was taking off one of the front wheels and the weight of the car was resting on one corner of the jacks and the tire. See here :eek: :D:

But it all turned out alright:

See less See more
#304 ·
I know we don't always see eye-to-eye on things, Mr. Optimist Prime, but this I can wholeheartedly agree with. Well-deserved, too.

very cool ally.

the only thing id say is that i would like to see the 8's flush mounted instead of surface mounted. but they turned out awesome. i really like the way the stock carpet fits them.
Uh... thanks? I guess? Never really sure with you... ;)

Press fit FTW....

She's going to change her vanity plate accordingly.
:eek:

My next one was going to be along the lines of ACDC's 'Back in black,' but pressfit sure would raise a lot of eyebrows :laugh:

#306 ·
Well, looks like no 8955's needed then ! ;)
Love what you've done. The kick mounted 8's came out great. I agree that they might look better flushed, but hey, once you get the carpet and grills dyed up to match pretty close, I dont think your eye will even be drawn to them. I think it's more important to protect them from dialy use in the car than to just look pretty so your on the right track. Sometimes it's tough to do both.

The dash and pods are looking great. I don't see anything wrong with the carpet there, I think it looks just fine. You wouldnt even notice the difference with a carpet dash mat too. Not sure how you feel about them, but I actually really like the look of mine, and it cuts out glare from the dash too which is a huge bonus for me. (My eyes are really sensitive to the bright light)

#307 ·
I agree with Andy, if you could flush the grill, itd be Mo betta

#313 ·
Mark/Ally-

Are these IB drivers (Im assuming by the drilled holes)? Did you take any measures to seal the enclosure to the metal or is it simply isolated with the dampening material? Looks really nice.

#314 · (Edited)
The enclosure would be to small for them. We would love to have put the in a sealed enclosure, we could get a little more control out of them. Maybe a Scan AP vent would help. Something we might have to try, note to self and to Ally. But for what she paid for them the worked out great.

This car just need some more homing in and playing around with different configs on the mid-bass We have a few ideas in mind for improvements. She has very good eye for details and have great ideas for more cosmetic improvements. Also more the a day at a time to finish things up would help us also.

I give her a hard time and at times a really hard time, but it all out of me being a ol school guy and as she put it Mr. Optimist Prime. I just want this car to be the beast i know it can be and she a sponge for knowledge and I have Drill Sergeant approach times about somethings. I love her hands on approach. Wish my ol lady would get in the trench with me :D!!

With some more tuning and small changes I have no doubt she would be one to watch out for. Considering what she has and her competition she did pretty well at the Vinnys for an install that really got it first hard tune the day before and and install done a few days before also.

#316 ·
Hah, we're on the same page Mark - I had also suggested an aperiodic vent for the midbass to avoid having to cut a gaping hole in the fender well. Once the Beymas are happier in their enclosure, they'll sound even better. With the current holes drilled they aren't really IB.

You guys gotta save some of the fun for when I get back there though! I can't wait to hear this car.. (and see big chunks of metal sawed out of it :p)

#317 ·
Well looks like Mark beat me to it.

Those little holes in the kick are all that had me in Modex from the start. Once the Beymas are actually vented to the outside of the car and not just into the frame (whenever that ends up happening) everything should come alive a little more. Right now it does sound like there are some lower frequencies holding back the extra liveliness and sparkle, and I think the enclosure the midbass are in is contributing to that quite a bit.

Edit: looks like everybody beat me to it.

#327 ·
I don't mind up to a point, but I'd like to keep my thread at least with a shred of dignity at the end of the day ;)
Lol that was lost with the very first post.

#330 ·
id be interested in allot of detail if you could. i wanna try out to do kicks if i can, i have hybrid audio L4SE's and would LOVE to be in a free air envirment like the back of that hole.

#331 ·
Small but important update to the new build. The old enclosure for the Beymas was comparable to sprinting with a bag over your head, and resulted in some peaks in the 250-400hz range. To remedy that, I had to open up the kicks a wee bit more to make them truly IB.

Originally, it was just this, the vented enclosure fitted for the 4" midranges:

One 3" hole saw and a couple of hours later, the Beymas can finally breathe:

Bad pic - this was before the edges were rounded out

the reason this one has a brownish color to it and the other doesn't is because I tried to spray it with what I thought was black. Was actually bronze. :blush:

The undercarriage is what really makes them IB - I thought it was venting through straight out the footwell by the tires, but it is actually blocked off by another layer of metal and this is where the kicks lead to I doubt I will need water protection for the speakers anytime soon. Drove in a large puddle with the speakers out and no water made it up to the kicks, so it's not a huge priority atm.

Only northern drivers can sympathize with a rusting unibody. :cry:

Made a difference? Yes. I haven't got an RTA to measure just how much, but it's smoothed out significantly. Lost a bit of midbass, but nothing that can't be remedied with some more EQ tweaking here and there. :)

Now time to finish the trunk....

#332 ·
I could kiss you for these pics but could I see exactly what your doing their is their a fiberglass enclosure with the back out or just a ring mlubted on stand offs also that looks like a.5" hole how big are those mids mine are like 4.3 or 4.8 somewhere in that

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.