DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 Monte Carlo LT Build

Tags
press fit
74K views 658 replies 63 participants last post by  highly 
#1 ·
Intro! If you just want pretty pictures, keep scrolling, there’s a ton. If you have 3 minutes to spare, read on.

Finally starting a build log for my 05 Monte Carlo LT. A little bit about the car: I decided to go with the red/black/chrome theme, and began adding little accents soon after I got the car.

Red stripe:

Seat/steering wheel covers:

Carbon fiber Di-Noc /vent trim:

Brake calipers. While working on painting the front two calipers, I did a stupid thing and jacked up both wheels. The tire jacks caved as I was taking off one of the front wheels and the weight of the car was resting on one corner of the jacks and the tire. See here :eek: :D:

But it all turned out alright:

See less See more
#86 · (Edited)
Guess she wanted a new one?

I think 48x36 was the size we used for the dash. It was really freaking hard to do. And it doesn't cover everything. Are you trying to do the entire thing including around the guage shroud and on to the left side? If you look at some of the pictures, it actually just stops as the dash curves around. Beyond that point we were getting too many ripples in the vinyl. If you heat it and stretch it too much, the pattern stretches and looks funky too. Youll have to cut it around the holes for the HU, A/C controls, light controls, etc because of how deep the indents are. Also, make sure the piece is really clean and has no grease, fingerprint oil, cleaning stuff on it. There was some Armor-All or something on some parts when we did it, and of course the vinyl wouldn't stick at all.

She plans to re-do it at some point, so we'll see how that goes. Good luck if you decide to try it. I'd find some smaller stuff to practice on first before you risk a $65 sheet of the stuff.

#96 ·
So I get to start this update with mostly bad news... bad news and irony.

First, Marietta has just gotten out of a recent three-day downpour, leaving the roads incredibly slippery (you see where this is going?). On said road, I was taking a sharp turn, admittedly too fast, lost traction, and smacked the side of the barrier at 40 mph.

see here.

Took a bite out of my tire.

and a bit of the rim.

Fortunately, only the plastic bumper was scraped and not any metal, and for the most part it wasn't very deep.

Disaster avoided.

not.

I walked out to my car today to find this.

At some point during the day, somebody backed into me in the same spot, leaving a deeper and bigger scrape than me hitting a metal barrier at near highway speeds.

I don't know how much insurance is going to cover, but it's mostly irrelevant because now I have an excuse for getting the whole car repainted soon. That, and new tires are needed.

Anyway, audiowise, I stole some leftover Techflex from Strakele and did my wires. A few of them aren't done yet, still waiting on another shipment of better-fitting material for the RCAs. But here they are. They aren't fitted together with zip ties in these pics, so excuse the mess. Ground is black, power is red, and the black with white are the speaker wires.

That's all I have to update for now. If anyone can find a better deal on a simple sanding + repainting job than Maaco has ($600 for a 5 year warranty paint job), please let me know!

#97 ·
Damn, that really sucks! :mad:

Thought you might be interested in a picture I have. Put this deck into my Datsun while waiting for my 99 to come...which may be forever. I removed most of the advertising on the faceplate when it was in another vehicle and today just found this, blackout screensaver. I think it looks far better this way, opposed to the original with the race car rocketship jet fighter screensaver(or whatever :confused:).

#99 ·
If you had a silver monte tou could i5 donated you montes bumper cover rear

#110 ·
Small update: went active! No pictures though. It was a spur of the moment thing, camera wasn't brought out, and I just don't feel like ripping everything apart to post pictures of speaker wire. But it's active now.

All crossover slopes are set at 24dB, lows are high passed at 63hz, tweets at 3.15khz, and now the two Q series are running their respective sides, and polarity has been reversed. I left enough wire going to the tweets so that it can be relocated to the a-pillars when the time comes. Didn't get much listening time tonight but I'm sure it'll sound at least a little better than passive.

Jason, I'm not sure we'll be able to fit it in my trunk, the amp rack was set up to coordinate with infinite baffle specifically, so boxes are probably out of the question unless we ghetto rig it. Which really isn't out of the question, actually :D

#111 ·
You should certainly be able to fit a 1 cube box in the trunk still. Lord knows we have enough speaker wire to put it anywhere in like a 100ft radius of your car. You're the queen of ghetto rigging anyway...

#118 ·
I got this little guy in the mail today! The new Acoustic Elegance SBP15-4! Really a beautiful piece of work, and I'm sure it will sound amazing. Unfortunately I won't be able to get it in its baffle for a few weeks at least, but I'm so glad it's finally here!

#124 ·
if you need rings made let me know ;)

How would that benefit me exactly?
who said it was supposed to :laugh: mwhahaha

but in all seriousness, if you dont want those fog lights i'd be more than happy to take them :D just saying.

#121 ·
As it turns out... in order for the sub to be installed, the amp rack, wires and fuseholder have to be moved down a few inches, so that will require some refurbishing of the contours of the top of the cover at least. If I'm lucky, it can completely cover the tire well cap and won't be too difficult. Hopefully LED's will still be just as effective since there's not much room for them to be moved.

So basically, in order for the sub to be installed, everything that has been done in the trunk needs to up and move just a bit. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.