LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: León 1.8 TSI SQ install

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitaF View Post
I never took spanish but I pick up languages fairly quickly

it"s mexican slang to describe something ess-tremely awesome

didnt you watch cheech n chong, holmes?
Thanks "chingon" is indeed used to describe something that you like a lot, as in this case, but it can be used also to describe someone that is very good at something, and there is when it can be similar to cabron.

"Cabron" can be used to describe someone that is very good at something, or it can be used to describe something very difficult to do. There are many other uses for the word, it depends on the context...

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
hugo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Last week I got a flat tire, so I needed to take the spare tire out and took a pic to show you how I get to it.

I was also looking into the doors for the MB installation.

The differences in dept are going to make my life harder. As you can see in the pics, I’d have to cut some metal in order to fit the Focals behind the OEM grill…

Although it isn’t to much, I don’t have the tools to do it, so I might do it using the Folcal grills, but without permanent changes in the door panel... that would mean much more work (some fiber glass work) that I have planned, so a long way to go for me…

Saludos.

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
Old 10-28-2011   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Whatever you do on the door cards, make sure you add rigidity to them. Some paste-type sound deadener would do a good job as well (such as Brax eXvibration etc).

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #54

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Whatever you do on the door cards, make sure you add rigidity to them. Some paste-type sound deadener would do a good job as well (such as Brax eXvibration etc).
I'll put dynamat xtreme on the exterior door skin and also on the door card, do you think the paste-type deadener would be better for the door card? I might be able to get some.

Old 10-28-2011   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

You should take the door apart to take a look inside. In our car that is not an option, because the window mechanism is bolted on the plastic door skin itself and leaves no space for Xtreme or any other sheet-like material to attach to. On top of that, the surface is very complex so it won't be able to flex enough so it doesn't come off.

This is how it looks from the inside:

Check the link in my signature, I have more info in my install thread.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 10-28-2011   #56

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
You should take the door apart to take a look inside. In our car that is not an option, because the window mechanism is bolted on the plastic door skin itself and leaves no space for Xtreme or any other sheet-like material to attach to. On top of that, the surface is very complex so it won't be able to flex enough so it doesn't come off.

This is how it looks from the inside:

Check the link in my signature, I have more info in my install thread.
I see what you're talking about. I hope The store where I saw the paste damper still has it. Do you have any pics with the paste already applied?

Old 10-28-2011   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm afraid not. There's not much to it, you just have to be careful not to put it above any fastening clips or inserts.

Mind you, these door skins like to rattle - a lot. And not only when you pump the system: even in moderate volume, in some high midbass frequencies you can feel and hear the whole skin rattle and vibrate. I've pinpointed a couple of spots, such as the lock mechanism and handle, that will need further deadening. I'm telling you, it's a mindjob.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 10-28-2011   #58

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I'm afraid not. There's not much to it, you just have to be careful not to put it above any fastening clips or inserts.

Mind you, these door skins like to rattle - a lot. And not only when you pump the system: even in moderate volume, in some high midbass frequencies you can feel and hear the whole skin rattle and vibrate. I've pinpointed a couple of spots, such as the lock mechanism and handle, that will need further deadening. I'm telling you, it's a mindjob.
I know, if the OEM speakers make them rattle, the Focal's will shake them a lot...

I'll do the best I can with those.

Old 12-07-2011   #59

DIYMA freshman

New HU, RSN510. I still need to get the correct mask for the dash, so it will look like this for some days.

I lost some functions so I need to find some one to configure those with the VAG-COM. Good news is that the noise I had coming from the USB and iPod is gone

Saludos.

Old 12-12-2011   #60

DIYMA freshman

I got the mask, I really love the way it looks

I also found someone that got my steering wheel controls back, so everything is working now.

Next step: Speakers (I hope)

Old 02-07-2012   #61

DIYMA freshman

Hello Guys, good news for me, I have a week off the work so I finally started with the front stage of my car, and if I finish on time, I might upgrade the side speakers also.

If you remember, the goal is to make it look as OEM as it is posible, so I’ve been wondering what’s the best solution for the mid-tweeter install.

First option, A pillars:

I didn’t want to do this if the pods where going to be screaming “look at me”, so they would have to be completely off axis, and after some listening I left that option behind , I just didn’t like the reflexions caused by the windshield and the dash with the speakers off axis and so close to the corners.

Second option, Kick panels:

This was the best option for the OEM look, it would be very dificult to see the speakers in there, but this option didn’t pass the listening test, stage wasn’t as high as the A pillar option (of course), but the worst part was something related to the angle of the left speakers (off axis) compared to the right speakers (more on axis), that pulled the stage to the right

Old 02-07-2012   #62

DIYMA freshman

All those listening tests were done using the Auto calibration of the MS-8 (thanks JBL for making this so easy), so it would be pretty close to the final sound.

I needed another option , although I've always wanted to keep the tweeter and the mid as close as possible, I’ve read that some people have had good results with mids in the kicks and tweeters in the A pillars, so I tried.

It sounded better than the other options, stage was high and wide, not pulled to the righ as it was with tweeters in the kicks, not to much windshield reflexions as there were with the mids in the A pillars, I’m using the pasive Xovers from the 165KRX3 because I want side speakers, but I’m sure it would be better if I have each speaker driven by its own chanel on the MS-8, I might try that later, before the new side speakers go in.

So we have a winer, tweeters go to the A pillars, mids to the kicks and MB to the doors

Old 02-07-2012   #63

DIYMA freshman

This is the idea for the mids, I’ll let the pics speak for themselves:

This is all I have for now.

Saludos.

Old 02-07-2012   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 76 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribed. Love the fact the Attention to Micro Details are addressed in this install/fabrication.
robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #65

DIYMA freshman

Today’s progress on the install.

The mids are designed to work in a sealed enclosure of .3 liters, so I will try to give them at least some sealed space.

The tweeters install.

That’s all I did today, I’m so slow

Old 02-10-2012   #66

DIYMA freshman

More on the mids

Old 02-11-2012   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 82 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

looking good

slow or not, i'm sure it will turn out great!

2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE - HLCD Coming Soon!
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #68

DIYMA freshman

MB install, It was a PITA to take apart the Door, I hope I can get everything back toghether.

The idea might not be the bets for the speaker performance, but It is as far as I want to go with the modification.

Old 02-11-2012   #69
req
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 122 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

wow, cool install! im interested to see what you do with the door panels!

req is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #70

DIYMA freshman

Updates

Mids install:

Old 02-15-2012   #71

DIYMA freshman

MB install:

Old 02-15-2012   #72

DIYMA freshman

Old 02-15-2012   #73

DIYMA freshman

Tweeters…

That's all I got done and my vacations are gone so I will have to work this weekend in order to finish.

Old 02-15-2012   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

Very NICE! Buenisimo!

Love the car...

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... and more!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #75

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz View Post
Very NICE! Buenisimo!

Love the car...
Thanks man, actually your thread was one of the reasons I tryed the mids in kicks separated from the tweeters, they sounded very good even with the xovers from the set, as soon as I have all finished I'll try with active xvovers