LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Blackbutter will become famous soon enoughBlackbutter will become famous soon enoughBlackbutter will become famous soon enoughBlackbutter will become famous soon enoughBlackbutter will become famous soon enoughBlackbutter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: León 1.8 TSI SQ install

Suscribed. Amazing, i`ve been follow your work in decibeles too, nice nice work, the door panel works is very very good!

Estoy haciendo la recopilacion de fotos para hacer mi thread de lo que llevo de mi instalacion, en que parte del d.f. estas?
Blackbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #102

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
It is nowhere near IB.

The rear side of the baffle is equally important to the front one. The Speaker cone needs space to "breathe", aka move freely. When making a tunnel like that, you essentially create a bottleneck for the air to move, thus disturbing the movement of the cone. This usually makes it sound muffled and compressed.

Hugo, you can still fix this (up to a point). Take the whole thing out and chamfer the inside, leaving it thick only where the screws attach to the door card. That way you'll get more space for the air.
I was going to do that, but I though the gain would no be enough or worth the effort, I guess you disagree

Anyway, I might do that the next time I have vacations, right know I need to take care of the tweeter issue.

The song that causes more problems is "The One and Only" from Adele, played by the iPod via MEDIA-IN, and some others but not so much that I can notice easily. My crossover settings are:

Sub: from 20hz to 70hz
MB: from 70hz to 450hz
Mid:from 450hz to 9000hz
Tweeters from 9000hz and up

All with a -24db slope (just the 20 hz filter on the sub is -12db)

MB are doing great playing from 70 htz, they blend with the subwoofer effortless, I'm very happy with that. I need to play with the xovers on the mids, I'm still not happy with that, but first I need to fix the tweeter problem.

I've been listening to some CD's and the sound is really really good and I don't hear a noise, It might be the source , although I haven't heard the song that makes them sound pretty bad, I'll look for that CD and listen.

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
hugo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #103

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbutter View Post
Suscribed. Amazing, i`ve been follow your work in decibeles too, nice nice work, the door panel works is very very good!

Estoy haciendo la recopilacion de fotos para hacer mi thread de lo que llevo de mi instalacion, en que parte del d.f. estas?
Hello and thanks for the kind words. You should post your installation

I'm in Nezahualcóyotl Estado de México.

Saludos

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
Old 03-06-2012   #104
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Misanthropic will become famous soon enoughMisanthropic will become famous soon enoughMisanthropic will become famous soon enoughMisanthropic will become famous soon enoughMisanthropic will become famous soon enoughMisanthropic will become famous soon enough

Super impressive install. Your attention to detail, which has already been stated numerous times, is exemplary. I myself will soon be using a Krx3 setup for my front stage and I was stuck on keeping the mid and tweeter together in the apillar. You may have just changed my mind as I am not trying to advertise my system to the world.
Very slick. Very clean. Very well executed.
Misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #105
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 79 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropic View Post
I myself will soon be using a Krx3 setup for my front stage and I was stuck on keeping the mid and tweeter together in the apillar. You may have just changed my mind
And depending on your car, your PLDs will work better in your favor.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... and more!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #106

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropic View Post
Super impressive install. Your attention to detail, which has already been stated numerous times, is exemplary. I myself will soon be using a Krx3 setup for my front stage and I was stuck on keeping the mid and tweeter together in the apillar. You may have just changed my mind as I am not trying to advertise my system to the world.
Very slick. Very clean. Very well executed.
Thanks man, it really works. Good luck with your installation

Old 03-09-2012   #107

DIYMA freshman

Hello, Yesterday I did some tests with 2 different sets of tweeters and guess what?... the noises are there also, but a little less noticeable.

I suppose the TN53K make those noises more noticeable because they are better tweeters than the ones I used yesterday, hence they produce a more detailed sound.

Next step is to listen the songs that produce the noises in an audio system and be sure that the noises are in fact on the songs and it isn't my Car audio system clipping or something else

The songs in which I hear the noises are:

"Till The Sky Falls Down" from Dash Berlin, between 4:45 and 5:05
"One And Only" from Adele, between 4:45 and 5:05

I tried with these from my iMac and my iPod
SHURE SE535

I can hear the noises in the song "Till The Sky Falls Down" although not so clear, it is enough to say it is the song, not my tweeters . With the song from Adele, I can't really say if the noises are there, I might need to check with a better system.

Maybe one of you guys can help me to verify by listening these songs in your systems, I can send you the lossless files, so let me know please.

Saludos.

Old 03-09-2012   #108
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Focal Tweets FTW!!!!!

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #109

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Focal Tweets FTW!!!!!

Kelvin
Sorry man, I'm not really sure what you meant with that, I know Focal tweeters are known for being "too crisp", but are they also known for failing or producing noises and that's what you meant?

Old 03-09-2012   #110
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo23 View Post
Sorry man, I'm not really sure what you meant with that, I know Focal tweeters are known for being "too crisp", but are they also known for failing or producing noises and that's what you meant?
Am a Focal user @ heart and what I meant with my post was that Focal tweeters are so crisp, they bring out flaws in some recordings (and sometimes in some systems )

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #111

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Am a Focal user @ heart and what I meant with my post was that Focal tweeters are so crisp, they bring out flaws in some recordings (and sometimes in some systems )

Kelvin
Ok, I'm with you now

I just need to find out what else is causing those noises, I wish I had a pair of Grande Utopia at home

Old 03-09-2012   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

FTW is an abbreviation of For The Win, an idiom used lately to show that something is... well, good.

You couldn't fit the Grande Utopias in your house, even if you had a massive villa. Sadly I've heard them lots of times in showrooms and exhibitions, and not once have they blown me away. They're so analytical and precise that you need to position them extremely carefully to get 100% of their capabilities.

Maestro Utopia for me all the way, or even more realistically, B&W 802D.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #113

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
FTW is an abbreviation of For The Win, an idiom used lately to show that something is... well, good.

You couldn't fit the Grande Utopias in your house, even if you had a massive villa. Sadly I've heard them lots of times in showrooms and exhibitions, and not once have they blown me away. They're so analytical and precise that you need to position them extremely carefully to get 100% of their capabilities.

Maestro Utopia for me all the way, or even more realistically, B&W 802D.
Same as Car audio, is not enough to buy the "best speakers" yo have to Build a place to put them, I just can't imagine how much $ would you have to spend to Build a room where those speakers can perform at its best

Old 04-22-2012   #114

DIYMA freshman

Hello guys, I got something this weekend...

This has nothing to do with the tweeters of the KRX3, I confirmed it was something on the songs and not the tweeters making those noises, in fact the speakers are sounding better the ever, I really enjoy every drive, but some weeks ago I saw a good deal on this utopia No 6 and I could's resist the temptation

I always wanted a set of utopias and to be honest, I love how they look, with the grills on, they will look like OEM speakers, my goal for this install.

I hope I can have these sounding soon.

Saludos.

Old 04-23-2012   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 123 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Nice box....
Show us the goods, man!

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #116

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
Nice box....
Show us the goods, man!
I had no time to take the pics, I'll take some this week.

Old 05-14-2012   #117

DIYMA freshman

Hi guys, let me show you the new toys (I knew I was going to do something like this)

No 6 active set.

And I got something to complete an almost No 7

Old 05-14-2012   #118

DIYMA freshman

I had to midify the bafle for the midbass because the mounting diameter for the utopia is bigger and the utopia's grills are smaller so I wraped the pods with some leather from BMW seats, hoping that helps with the looks.

Old 05-14-2012   #119

DIYMA freshman

This is how it looks right now

I need to fabricate new pods for the tweeters and make some modifications for the mids so they can fit with their own grill.

The Uniq 7 crossovers will fit with no major modifications, hope I can do that next week.

In the future I will redo the midbass pods, I dind’nt like the looks, so more work to do.

Saludos.

Last edited by hugo23; 05-14-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-14-2012   #120
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Are those alley-key screw terminals right on the frames of the midbass and midrange? That's a super-clean wiring termination - more manufacturers should do that.
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #121

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
Are those alley-key screw terminals right on the frames of the midbass and midrange? That's a super-clean wiring termination - more manufacturers should do that.
No, they are for a slotted screwdriver and the utopia kits include a set of screwdrivers for the different screws found in the speakers and crossovers.

Old 05-14-2012   #122
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 123 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

CHINGON!

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #123

DIYMA freshman

Small update, Cross Uniq No.7 in…

Old 05-21-2012   #124

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 m0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enough

Very nice build
m0sdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #125

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 pika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enough

How it looks:

How it could look:

it's exactly the same driver in the same Car
pika_ is offline   Reply With Quote