LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Default León 1.8 TSI SQ install

Hello guys, I’m going to start a new install in my 2011 León 1.8 TSI. Basically I’ll be using the same equipment I had installed in my VW Golf MKIV, I’m just changing the subwoofer and I’m not using a backup battery.

The goal is to preserve the OEM look as posible (that’s why I sold my 12W6v2), the only thing that’s going to break this rule is the front system because the mids an tweeters are going to be in the A pillars. The OEM Head Unit will will stay in place.

The process will be very slow as I don’t have enough time and I want to do everything right and just one time, avoiding an endless install in which I change my mind every month ( I know, we all wish that was possible…)

This is the equipment to be installed:

- JBL MS-8
- JL audio HD 900/5
- Focal 165 KRX3
- JL audio 13TW5-3 (I don’t have it yet)
-Dynamat for the doors and the cargo área (I don’t have it yet)

Equipment I possibly add:
-Aftermarket battery
-Set of good coaxials for the rear fill.

The first part of the install is the subbox and the amp rack, everything under a false floor preserving the spare tire is the goal.

First of all this is the Car (sorry for the iPhone pics, I promise I’ll get a camera soon):

The hatch área, there you can see the net that I’m taking as the limit in height for the rack:

The entire rack will be bolted to these existing bolts.

I made some sketches of the install in order to define the lay out.

This is a lateral view:

I already have some work done I’ll be uploading the pics this weekend.

Saludos.

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable

Last edited by hugo23; 04-20-2011 at 03:08 PM..
hugo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 69 MTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enough

Default Re: León 1.8 TSI SQ install

looks like some good ideas. just finished listening to two of those subs off a 750/1 and they sound pretty darn good

2004 Chevy Blazer-sold

2012 Chevy Cruze LT1 RS - Planning and saving for new system
MTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

I'll be watching this, naturally.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Cablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to allCablguy184 is a name known to all

I will def. be watching this for the Front Stage !!! and everything else 4 sure !!!

Cablguy184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 103 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Defiantly has my curiosity.

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Encore 8 | DAC | Conv DCX/DEQ2496 | Aura MR2150 x 3 | Aura NRT18-8 | L6v2 | neo8-s
BowDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Hello guys, thanks for the kind words. I haven’t had time to work on the install so I’m just gonna show you the pics of the work I already have done.

Firts, this is the 12mm MDF board that is going to work as the base for the amp and sub rack. I chose that thicknes because I want to keep the weight at minimum. You can see that I draw where I needed to cut.

Here is the board already cut.

The rack will be lifted with the help of some shocks and hinges, as I did it with the rack in my Golf, so I added the bases where the hinges are going to be bolted.

Here you can see the rack floor presented on the base and if you look at the corners you can see the metal pieces that will be used to bolt everything to the car.

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
Old 04-23-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

Then I begun with the sub box. Although I don’t have it yet, I wanted to get it ready as it will help me to define the final layout.

I want the box Light and Strong so I used this as an inspiration for the internal bracing.

I’m gonna let the pics do the talk.

That’s all for now, I hope I can make some progress the next weekend.

Saludos.

Old 04-24-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Very nice! That way you get to keep your spare wheel as well. I couldn't do that in my install, even if I used any of my shallow-mount subs there would be no space for the enclosure; my processor and amps are huge.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-02-2011   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Very nice! That way you get to keep your spare wheel as well. I couldn't do that in my install, even if I used any of my shallow-mount subs there would be no space for the enclosure; my processor and amps are huge.
Thanks man, the spare tire is very necessary here in México city, the streets are in very bad shape

Old 05-02-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Very little progress this weekend.

Sub box almost finished.

I cut where the sub box will be placed

The X overs where going to be installed at the sides of the sub box.

As you can see the space is tight and I might add another set of Xovers from the rear chanels in the future, so this is the first change in the install, I will try to make the x overs fit under the MS-8 and HD900/5.

If I manage to do this I would have enough space to add another set of (smaller) Xovers in the future.

That’s all for now, I wasn’t kidding when I said this was going to be a very slow built.

Saludos.

Old 05-16-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Some progress…

I made some space for the Xovers, not exactly perfect cuts but is my first time with the router and that part of the install is going to be out of sight .

I added hinges to the amp rack in order to get easy acces to the Xovers for adjusments.

The sub box is going to be bolted to de rack.

Old 05-16-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

The shock absorbers will use these bolts, so I did some adjustments so they can fit.

I already cut the cover for the rack so you can get an idea of how everything is going to look.

I Still need to finish with the shock absorbers, make some adjustmens on the height of some parts (you can see the amp cover does not sit perfect) and get the grills for the sub and amp covers, once I have that I can put some paint and carpet to the rack and start mounting the equipment.

Saludos.

Old 05-16-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Very, very, very nice!

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-16-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 estione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enough

This looks like a very well thought out install, I'm really liking this, will be watching the progress
estione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 101 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

^^

Me to.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 SACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond reputeSACRAMANIAC916 has a reputation beyond repute

very nice box build.
SACRAMANIAC916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #17

DIYMA freshman

Hello guys, good news, I had some free days so I made some progress, bad news, I was in such a hurry that I didn’t take enough pics of the process, sorry.

Anyway, this is what I have.

Some Dynamat…

Ground and Power Wire in place…

Old 05-30-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

The rack was painted in flat back and placed into the hatch…

Frames for the equipment were carpeted, although I could not find the right colors. Frames in light gray and the main cover will be black. I’ll try to find the right color later.

The shock absorbers didn’t work, the ones I bought are too strong for the rack, I think the ones I used in the Golf were a lot weaker , I’ll see what can I do later.

The next weekend I’ll carpet the main cover, run the Speaker Wire and make the connections to the OEM HU, completing the firts satage of this install using the OEM speakers, the Focal’s will have to wait.

Saludos.

Old 05-31-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 101 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Nice progress.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Hello, some pics of the current state of the install. I still haven’t found the carpet in the right color nor the grill to make the covers, so, for now, the sub is protected for the JL grill and the amp & MS-8 are uncovered.

The HU has a noisy audio input from the USB that I can’t live with, so It might be replaced when everything else is complete. I’m thinking about the RNS-510 but it is very expensive with the iPod controller so an all-in-one aftermarket unit could be a better option, I have to think about it because I don't want to be changing HU's as I usually do.

The system is conected to the OEM speakers and it performs very good, I’m expecting great results with the KRX3 or a 2 way set, if I decide to go that way. The sound it produces with the rear speakers as laterals in the MS-8 is very spacious (Best description I can think of) It is very obvious that the out of face sound is sent to those speakers because in some songs that’s very obvious, but I like it

Old 08-16-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Glad to see you've made some progress.....nice job so far
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo23 View Post
Hello, some pics of the current state of the install. I still haven’t found the carpet in the right color nor the grill to make the covers, so, for now, the sub is protected for the JL grill and the amp & MS-8 are uncovered.

The HU has a noisy audio input from the USB that I can’t live with, so It might be replaced when everything else is complete. I’m thinking about the RNS-510 but it is very expensive with the iPod controller so an all-in-one aftermarket unit could be a better option, I have to think about it because I don't want to be changing HU's as I usually do.

The system is conected to the OEM speakers and it performs very good, I’m expecting great results with the KRX3 or a 2 way set, if I decide to go that way. The sound it produces with the rear speakers as laterals in the MS-8 is very spacious (Best description I can think of) It is very obvious that the out of face sound is sent to those speakers because in some songs that’s very obvious, but I like it

I love this install. How does the JL sound?
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #23

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan fan View Post
Glad to see you've made some progress.....nice job so far
Thanks man, I was not kidding when I said It was going to be a slow process

Old 08-16-2011   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
I love this install. How does the JL sound?
It performs very well considering its shape and the reduced volume of the box, very clean sounding subwoofer, of course it can't reach the output of the W6 but it has enough to shake my Car

Old 08-16-2011   #25

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 149 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

your attention to detail on EVERYTHING comes through the screen loud and clear...i really appreciate it when i see small details on the bare wood Build up portions of hte install, like how you took time to sand and round off the edges of the wood, how things are cut straight even when they will never be seen...

awesome! bravo!

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is online now   Reply With Quote