LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 FLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: First SQ Install, 2009 Honda Civic SI Sedan Redline Orange Pearl

Thanks for the info. I spent a couple hours looking around at their site, really nice stuff.
I like your enclosure far better than the other posted. Its grill, that is to say the second
photo is something anyone can get; I've seen them. However, yours is much more custom
looking and far cleaner.

Its true competing is a great deal of fun! I loved it, however, back when I did it folks had
the idea that once a Car showed up that won all the time they could just write off other
cars. They tend to think because it won so much that the others must sound like it or they
aren't correct. I really hoped that aspect has changed, its one of the main reasons why I
gave it up. I hoped that as it evolved and the judges were better educated I may revisit
my old days.

No doubt anyone that really likes audio will enjoy and SQ event. LOTS of great people, some
not so much so; but if you are at the same event as Bing I feel your in the right place......

Cheers,
Scott
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #27
GS3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 GS3 will become famous soon enoughGS3 will become famous soon enoughGS3 will become famous soon enoughGS3 will become famous soon enoughGS3 will become famous soon enoughGS3 will become famous soon enough

very nice install indeed. very clean too!! i'm in the same zip code. lol would love to check out your install and have a listen to it if all possible
GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #28

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 147 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

sat sept 24, in SJ keep and eye on the 12volt events section.

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Rep Power: 67 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS3 View Post
very nice install indeed. very clean too!! i'm in the same zip code. lol would love to check out your install and have a listen to it if all possible
Thanks! As far as I'm aware, Cupertino only has one zip code. If you're in SF, then it's a little bit of a drive, but not too much. PM me if you like. I'm going to the "what's next" portion over the next 1-2 weeks, so I plan to update this thread extensively.

For the component upgrades and sound deadening portion, probably will tear the entire Car down, so if the timing is right, it may be good to hear "before" and "after". My take is it will be "good" SQ with Kappas vs. "better" SQ with... [stay tuned]
papasin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #30

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 147 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

i am only 20 mins from cupertino...should stop by hahaha

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-04-2011   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Rep Power: 67 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
i am only 20 mins from cupertino...should stop by hahaha
I'll PM you the location. If you're available, you are welcome to swing by. Otherwise, just let me know.
Old 08-04-2011   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR_Dave View Post
Outstanding job so far...!!

I would love to see more pictures of how you mounted the tweeter's whn you have a chance...
Going to take out the tweeters in a week or two and test fitting new tweeters (stay tuned ). Per request, here's a couple pics of the Kappa tweeter in the stock location with the current install.

Old 08-05-2011   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 SiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enough

Thanks...

~2009 Honda Civic Si SuperCharged~
Alpine SWR-1023D x2-Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
Rockford Fosgate POWER-1000 "25 to Life"-Alpine PXA-H701
SiR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Default Floor/trunk sound proofing

Sorry for the lack of updates. Like many others, things got busy, and the "what's next" section took a bit of a back seat. Actually, I was able to accomplish a few of these a couple months ago now, just didn't get around to posting them. If you recall I had the following on my "what's next":

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
What’s next?

1. Install and Wire up a backup camera.
2. As stated above, I want to seal the doors completely.
3. Will probably re-wire the speakers to thicker ones (14 or 12 gauge) rather than utilize the Crutchfield adapter. I wired the sub with 12 gauge already straight to the M6 since they are both in the trunk vs. using the sub Wire that came with the Crutchfield adapter.
4. Sound deaden the Car a bit more (perhaps line the floors and trunk with 25% CLD + CCF + MLV)
5. Upgrade the speakers for my front stage.
6. Install tweeters in the A-pillars.
7. Move the amps under a front seat (since they are stackable) and move the MS-8 under the other seat.
8. Center speaker?
Some of these lend themselves to be done together. I decided to tackle 1 and 4 at the same time. Enough with my excuses and on to some pics.

I'm sure everyone's seen them before, but first, the obligatory tear down photos.

Front and rear seats, center console, radio, and trim panels removed.

Here they are in one big box

with the exception of the center console along with the rear seat pictured here

With everything taken out, I went ahead and put some Dynamat Xtreme in the trunk and on the floors, roughly a little over the 25% method.

Next went down a layer of 1/4" CCF and 1/8" MLV. I purchased this (CCF and MLV fused together):

Mass Loaded Vinyl 48"W w/Closed Cell (per foot)-Super Soundproofing, Co.

Since I am in CA as is the company, shipping came out to be reasonable. Here it came at my doorstep.

First thing I realized, wow this stuff is HEAVY! I needed to use a hand truck to cart it from my front door to the garage. I believe the packing slip indicated 46lbs. Here it is unpacked

and unrolled.

I ordered 40 sq feet and nearly used all of it. I put it down in pieces across the floors, under back seat, and trunk area. Unfortunately, in my haste, I didn't take any pics of it in the Car before putting the carpet and the seats back (eeek). But trust me, it's there, and wow! Now don't get any hopes of it being Lexus quiet, since we are talking about two VERY different cars. Also keep in mind that an SI is a car that has a redline of 8000 rpm and sounds pretty sweet at high revs. But the before and after is worth it in my opinion. Some might wonder about the weight penalty. For my purposes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I usually carry a stroller in the trunk, but to be even more specific, couple that with two car seats, two kids, and two adults, the sound proofing weight penalty becomes very negligible. It's much more pleasant to keep the cabin noise fairly quiet to hear the conversations and enjoying the music at any speed.

Last edited by papasin; 10-05-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10-04-2011   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Default Backup Camera

While I had the center console taken out from the above post, I also ventured in installing a backup camera. There are numerous choices for a camera, and I elected going with the following:

However, since I chose the route of retaining the factory navigation unit, it wasn't as simple as plug in the RCA cable, power, and reverse lead. After doing some web searching, I ran across the following module:

The manual the unit came with is actually quite good. For those interested, here's a soft copy:

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_022508.pdf

I followed everything through, and was able to get the backup camera to operate as expected. I consider myself a fairly handy and technical person, but this must have been one of the biggest PITA portions of any install or DIY activity I have undertaken. There were moments where I was seriously wondering if I was going to brick my "$2k" upgraded nav option on the car, since this involved literally taking apart the radio to replace and rewire ribbon cables. But alas, everything came back together, and the end result really does seem "factory"-like. The one major advantage I see comparing it with after-market units is that it is available "instantly", whereas, several of the after-market ones I've used has a sizable delay before the backup camera becomes available.

Last edited by papasin; 10-05-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Old 10-05-2011   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 Babs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enough

Interesting how you give three guys the same problem with a twist, they'll come up with three different solutions..

Your tweet mount solution in stock location. Gets it done with that Infinity tweet nicely:

My tweet solution with slightly smaller odd-shaped tweet, same spot:
(wire-ties vs hot-glue)
To be honest, I completely STOLE the idea from Erin's install same tweet, same location.

Wish you weren't a continent away.. I'd love to hear it if you go with the speakers you mentioned.

Last edited by Babs; 10-05-2011 at 11:47 AM..
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Default Update (front stage)

Recall

Quote:
What’s next?

5. Upgrade the speakers for my front stage.
Well, had some time last weekend. The mids will be upgraded with a set of Image Dynamics X65 and the tweeters to a set of Image Dynamics XS28.

First, some comparisons. The mids, from left to right: Stock, Infinity Kappas, Image Dynamics X65

Depth of the X65 mid as you can see is a bit deeper, not to mention won't fit in the stock door location without modifications. The hole needed to be enlarged by cutting into the sheet metal, and a half inch wood baffle was cut to offset the depth. As I've learned from this forum, one of the things good to do is to protect against the elements, so the baffle was coated in truck bedliner. Here's the final result.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

The door card needed a little trimming, and was treated with vibration dampener to prevent buzzing.

Finally, comparison of the tweeters to go into the stock location. From left to right: Stock, Infinity Kappas, Image Dynamics XS28

Spent time retuning the MS-8. At first, I had a center image that was off to the left. I tried various things, including adjusting the crossover frequency, moving the EQ curve around. I checked the Speaker polarity and made sure things were wired correctly. I also played around with the tweeter locations just for the heck of it. Wow, everything sounds amazing with the tweeters off-axis just sitting at the little window. Maybe another upgrade for later? .

Anyway, I restored the tweeters to the stock location, and retuned with the MS-8. After about 5 days now, and a bit of a break-in, I can definitely say there is a significant improvement. Midrange/midbass is much crisper, and the highs are so much more detailed, without being harsh or bright compared with the Kappas. I was also able to get a better center image, but can't say exactly what I did to get there since I tried a variety of things and not sure which step got me to the final result. Overall, I'm quite happy with the outcome. Probably need to fully seal the doors next to get maximum impact with the mids.
Old 10-21-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 Babs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enoughBabs will become famous soon enough

I meant to ask over at 8thcivic... Did you cut out and flush those much larger ID's into your tweet grills? I'd love to see pics of that for reference if you took any. I ended up using my D26's in the rear deck instead of front because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough grill to frame around the larger diameter tweet but suspect it's superior to the OX I have in there now.
Old 10-21-2011   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 SiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enough

Nice updates ...

~2009 Honda Civic Si SuperCharged~
Alpine SWR-1023D x2-Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
Rockford Fosgate POWER-1000 "25 to Life"-Alpine PXA-H701
SiR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Default Tweeter mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
I meant to ask over at 8thcivic... Did you cut out and flush those much larger ID's into your tweet grills? I'd love to see pics of that for reference if you took any. I ended up using my D26's in the rear deck instead of front because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough grill to frame around the larger diameter tweet but suspect it's superior to the OX I have in there now.
After much debate as to how to permanently mount the tweeters in the stock location, I decided perhaps the stock location isn't the best place. For one, I could not come up with a good way to mount it. With the XS-28 grill cover on, it will sit flush in the stock location, but leaves very little clearance against the windshield (probably less than an inch). It's also impossible to aim it, not to mention I was getting nasty imaging issues as I mentioned previously. Often times, the stage was off to the left even after recalibration with the MS-8.

So that got me to thinking and decided to do a little research where others mount their tweeters in the 8th gen Civic. After looking at the various options (thanks to many others on this forum!), I decided to mount the XS-28s in the kicks. If for anything, if I change my mind later, I can replace both kick panels for less than $10!

With the right tools (a 2" hole saw for the case of the ID XS-28), the entire process took less than an hour.

See below.

Kick pulled out with tweeter mounted:

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

I went ahead and retuned the MS-8. I was initially worried that the stage would be very low and it would be obvious to the listener that the tweeters were down at the kicks vs. up high in the stock location or the pillars for many others that mount tweets up there. Suffice it to say I was pleasantly shocked! It appears to me that there are tweeters actually in the dash, when there isn't. Stage isn't as high as when the tweets were in the stock location, but the stage is wider, the center is much better, and things aren't as bright as they were (no surprise since I'm not getting the on-axis reflections off the windshield).

Will spend some time listening more carefully and tweaking. My initial thought is that if I'm going to make another change on the front-stage, it will probably be considering getting the Audible Physics XR Duo set, and mounting the XR3M in the little windows on the sides .
Old 10-24-2011   #41

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

now some people may understand why i mount tweeters in this location on some passive setups :P

with your interior though...i think you will still get some rainbowing...

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 10-24-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

"Rainbowing" ??

Yeah this is making me want to pull my grills and place the tweets in different spots just to see what happens. Looks like I managed to pop one of the OX's (only fain't output), so I'm now thinking tweets again myself in an Si sedan.

I've often looked at the face of the kicks below the hood release (more on-axis), and thought about a flush-mount there. Seen it done only once though strangely.
Old 11-08-2011   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
now some people may understand why i mount tweeters in this location on some passive setups :P

with your interior though...i think you will still get some rainbowing...
After a couple weeks listening, I see what you mean. I can reduce it by adjusting my seating position before and after calibration. With this set of speakers though, probably the best tradeoff I could come up with other than possibly putting the tweeters where the small windows are. If I am going to go through with that, might as well go the next step, which is...

Over the next month or two, I have some down time at work and my plan is to install a set of Audible Physics XR3Ms in the small windows in fiberglass enclosures, and changing out the ID X65s with a set of Audible Physics XR6.5Ms. I'm counting the days, stay tuned... .
Old 11-29-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Talking Wideband Audible Physics XR Duo front-stage upgrade

Quote:
Over the next month or two, I have some down time at work and my plan is to install a set of Audible Physics XR3Ms in the small windows in fiberglass enclosures, and changing out the ID X65s with a set of Audible Physics XR6.5Ms. I'm counting the days, stay tuned...
Out went the Image Dynamics X-65 and XS-28s (will be re-used for our other car) and in went a set of Audible Physics XR Duo. A set of XR6.5Ms were placed in the front doors in the stock location.

The XR6.5Ms are band passed to handle 70Hz-280Hz crossed at 24db.

A set of Audible Physics XR3M-LEs went into fiberglass pods that sit within the small windows up front in an 8th gen Civic sedan. The pods were purchased from this forum's own Babs, but as I understand was glassed by bikinpunk. Many thanks to both, definitely putting them to good use!

Here's the Build pics of the pods. How I got them:

First order of business, need to cut some baffles for the XR3Ms since these are 3" drivers and the pods look to be designed for 4" mids. So a little measuring and cutting.

and a test fit.

Next step is to take off the tan cloth since I have a Civic SI and my pillars are gray and the dash is black.

Also needed to cover the tweeter hole, so decided to cut a little Damplifier Pro to "patch" it and tested it on the window with the baffle and speaker.

I then painted the entire pod black, and wrapped it in black grill cloth.

Some pics of how it turned out.

Here's a wide-angle shot of the current and hopefully final (knock on wood) front-stage.

I'm still contemplating covers for the XR3M-LEs. A co-worker of mine saw them today and said he likes it the way it is. My install thus far has been focused on stealth, so to be consistent with the theme, I'm debating whether to cut out some rings and wrap them in black grill cloth and use Speaker grill pegs, or some other solution. The phase plug definitely is opposite to stealth as it jumps out at you with it being wood, but I have to agree with my co-worker that it does add a little bit of flair.

As for how the XR Duo sounds in my interior, I think they are fantastic with the XR3M-LEs up high. I noted that the XR6.5Ms midbass is superior compared to my previous front stage 6.5 choices, and the XR3M-LEs midrange resolution is...WOW. I don't notice a lack of sparkle at the top end despite not having a tweeter which is my preference. I was first a little worried as it seems to be a concern by a couple folks using MS-8s and AP XR Duos that I've read about in the forum. I think they were using stock locations though, and I think the pods and the aiming of the XR3s make a huge difference. I've only had a chance to do a quick auto tune with the MS-8, and an hour or so of listening. So far I am very pleased!

Last edited by papasin; 11-29-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 12-01-2011   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 301 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Why fire the midrange directly into the dash? it would seem like dealing with reflections would be killer
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #46
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 245 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
Why fire the midrange directly into the dash? it would seem like dealing with reflections would be killer
Was actually wondering why nobody said anything yet...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
There is a bit of angle to them, and they're not directly into the dash...but I went with a solution that was within my skills at this time. That is, the pods weren't something I glassed per the post above and the directionality of the mid openings was already that way...so kind of working with what I got. Perhaps there's an easy solution to change the angle to them given the constraints. I'd be happy to hear suggestions.

2014 MECA MODEX CA State Champion
2013 MECA Modified CA State Runner Up
2009 Honda Civic SI Sedan Build Log
Team WCA/Zapco
Old 12-01-2011   #48
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 245 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a bit of angle to them, and they're not directly into the dash...but I went with a solution that was within my skills at this time. That is, the pods weren't something I glassed per the post above and the directionality of the mid openings was already that way...so kind of working with what I got. Perhaps there's an easy solution to change the angle to them given the constraints. I'd be happy to hear suggestions.
Even if they are not directed directly into the dash, the instrument cluster hump WILL mess with your mids creating peaks and dips in the freq response...
Of course I can't tell from the pics how it sounds but I would try to find a way to go over that hump... or away from it (more on-axis with the listener)

Angled rings should work great although you might have to clear the dash since the pods are so close to it already.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Was actually wondering why nobody said anything yet...

Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin
The pods were purchased from this forum's own Babs, but as I understand was glassed by bikinpunk.
Perhaps you guys should ask Erin .

Team WCA/Zapco
Old 12-01-2011   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Angled rings should work great although you might have to clear the dash since the pods are so close to it already.

Kelvin
Thanks, I'll have to look into this. Appreciate the constructive feedback.

Team WCA/Zapco