LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011   #51
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Rep Power: 55 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Default Re: First SQ Install, 2009 Honda Civic SI Sedan Redline Orange Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Angled rings should work great although you might have to clear the dash since the pods are so close to it already.

Kelvin
I think you astutely pointed out that the dash would pose a problem with angled rings because of how close the pods are to the dash. So I tried making the "angled" portion of the ring inside of the pod. I haven't dressed the rings yet, but thought I'd solicit yours (and others) opinion on this approach. Here's what it looks like:

Sorry, it's hard to capture the actual angle the ring is providing, but the XR3 is definitely pointing a lot less toward the dash. When I sit in the driver's seat, the XR3 from the passenger pod is almost facing directly towards me. There's still a small angle down to the dash, but I couldn't angle it any further up because the back of the XR3 is butting up against the pod with the angle.

Question I have is whether you (or others) know if there are any adverse effects with the angled portion toward the inside? Is there some negative sideffects that you know off with the speaker being in sort of a "tunnel" for about half an inch to an inch, especially towards the upper part? Not sure if that makes sense, so please let me know if it's unclear. Thanks in advance...

2013 MECA Modified CA State Runner Up
2009 Civic SI Sedan Build Log
Team West Coast Audiophiles
papasin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
south east customz
Position:
owner/custom fabricator

Rep Power: 50 south east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enough

If I were you I'd make some rings and then some spacers and test the best angle.
Let your ears decide. U can fill gaps with dreading material temporarily and go from there.
I just mount the 3's in the kick
:-)
south east customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #53
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Rep Power: 55 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by south east customz View Post
If I were you I'd make some rings and then some spacers and test the best angle.
Let your ears decide. U can fill gaps with dreading material temporarily and go from there.
I just mount the 3's in the kick
:-)
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's dreading material?

Old 12-22-2011   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
south east customz
Position:
owner/custom fabricator

Rep Power: 50 south east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enough

damn auto corrrect. u can use DEADENING material to seal the make shift baffles till u get the one u want.
south east customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #55
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by south east customz View Post
damn auto corrrect. u can use DEADENING material to seal the make shift baffles till u get the one u want.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Should have put 2 and 2 together but for some reason thought dreading was some sort of unobtanium material I did not know about .

Old 02-03-2012   #56

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 40 Frank Drebin is on a distinguished roadFrank Drebin is on a distinguished roadFrank Drebin is on a distinguished roadFrank Drebin is on a distinguished roadFrank Drebin is on a distinguished road

Looks like your build will do those speakers more justice than mine. Very nice install.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #57
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Default Switched out the amps

I'm working on another build (our minivan) and decided I want to move the Alpine PDX F4 and M6 to it and get new amps for this one. A package showed up at the door last week.

Unboxing...

Specs as some of you well know (although pretty sure there's a typo on the second line and should read 225x4 @ 2 OHM)

Mounted the amps on an amp rack

and into the car and wired up

Speakers are wired up as follows...

1 amp handles the left front stage, bridged to 450x2, each bridged channel handling the left midbass and the left XR3M-LE
1 amp handles the right front stage, bridged to 450x2, each bridged channel handling the right midbass and the right XR3M-LE
1 amp handles the sub and rears, with 450x1 to the sub and 225x2 to the rears (rear speakers are 2ohms)

I know, that's a lot of power. I still need to adjust the amp gains as they are all set at the minimum at the moment, but will definitely take advantage of as much power as I can especially to the XR3s. As I learned from a couple of you, the XR3s love power and more power brings out the dynamics in them. I think this setup is not going to be short on headroom .

Last edited by papasin; 02-12-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Old 02-12-2012   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 65 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's a lot of grunt! Awesome install man
sinister-kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 60 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

You should pull the plastic off the tops of the P900.4s.

Clarion NX603, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-501EZ, CDT MX-3MO, MX-2 4" center channel, QES-1220 x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 100 scooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enough

Nice work! Love seeing the 8ths on here!

The flavor of my Kool-Aid is CHERRY! And yes I am the Kool-Aid MAN!

1994 Ford F350 Build Log

2006 Honda Civic Ex
scooter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #61
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
Wow, that's a lot of grunt! Awesome install man
Thanks. Have to give some credit to Ryan (slade1274) as the idea/inspiration of this combo was after reading about his BMW 135i build. I was contemplating getting a trio of Hertz HPD 4s much like he had since I'm using the same XR3s, a pair of mid basses that could also benefit from the added power, and a 4ohm sub in a FG box in the trunk corner, etc. The main reason I ended up going with the PPI trio actually had to do with the form factor. The HPDs are almost a full .25" wider than the PPIs (and that would be x3), and if you guys note in the install, getting the 3 amps side by side to fit in the "60 portion" of the fold down seat is already quite a tight fit. Also looked at the Polk Audio D4000.4 and those were also a shade wider. The price point that the PPIs came in was a pleasant bonus, but that wasn't the primary factor. I've read quite a bit of back and forth as to whether these amps are "the same" under the hood across the forum, and don't want to get into that but just want to set some context as to my thought process for choosing the PPIs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
You should pull the plastic off the tops of the P900.4s.
Thanks, but already did that before powering up the amps. I took the pics beforehand as I chose to keep the plastic while setting them on the amp rack, and mounting them...just as an extra layer of protection .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter99 View Post
Nice work! Love seeing the 8ths on here!
Thanks...been following your build which I'd have to say is quite a bit more impressive than mine. Good luck with yours!

Old 02-12-2012   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 100 scooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enough

Thanks! I don't know about the impressive as far as work goes, cause I'm just now starting to work on it. But either way, I love to see more civics on this site. I'm about to go work on mine now matter of fact. Gotta get that head unit extension thing figured out! C-ya!

The flavor of my Kool-Aid is CHERRY! And yes I am the Kool-Aid MAN!

1994 Ford F350 Build Log

2006 Honda Civic Ex
scooter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #63
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter99 View Post
Thanks! I don't know about the impressive as far as work goes, cause I'm just now starting to work on it. But either way, I love to see more civics on this site. I'm about to go work on mine now matter of fact. Gotta get that head unit extension thing figured out! C-ya!
Ok, maybe more complex. Some of the things you're doing I know is definitely not in my comfort zone...so definitely more props to you.

As for more civics on this site, with yours, bikinpunk, amitaF, less (to name a few of the more notable builds), people probably think there are already too many .

Old 07-01-2012   #64
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Just wanted to share my experience from the NorCal meet yesterday. Was sandwiched between Se7en CTS, and Bing's latest Hyundai masterpiece...so glad this wasn't a competition, but nonetheless felt a bit intimidated given the two cars surrounding me .

Anyway, met a bunch of really cool guys, and had a fair bit more people listen to my car than was able to listen to others unfortunately since I wasn't able to stay past 1pm. But overall, glad I went and appreciate the many compliments from folks. May just enter a comp thanks to some very kind words from jtaudioacc, BigRed, and Bing (whose words below humble me given the cars he's worked on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
Papasin...your car was the biggest surprise for me out oft he entire meet, it really is exactly the way i would like a car to sound ona daily basis, so smooth, warm, silky...wow...
This by no means is intended to be a one-sized fits all recipe, but for my car and equipment, after the MS-8 auto tune, here's what I have the EQ set at:

40Hz -3.5dB
160Hz -2db
200Hz -3db
250Hz -2db
630Hz -1.5db
800Hz -3db
1kHz -2.5db
1.25kHz -1dB

Want to send my kudos to Bing for organizing the event. Will try to be there for the whole time if there's a next one!

Last edited by papasin; 07-01-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Old 07-01-2012   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 120 BigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the rough

Papasin, you car is very smooth and your imaging is spot on. I would have no problem feeling good entering a competition with it. I hope the sub eq I did sounds like an improvement to you after listening to it for a while. Great meeting you at the meet.

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #66
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Papasin, you car is very smooth and your imaging is spot on. I would have no problem feeling good entering a competition with it. I hope the sub eq I did sounds like an improvement to you after listening to it for a while. Great meeting you at the meet.
Jim, the pleasure was mine and thanks again for taking the time to listen, and of course spending the time with JT to drive up. As I mentioned to JT, I lived in LA for 5 years when I went to school down there (over 15 years ago now - Go Bruins) and have frequented that drive many times...not necessarily the nicest drive if you went up I-5.

I do not have a trained ear, so I would trust yours well beyond mine. Speaking of that sub eq cut, I wonder if it has something to do with when I ran the MS-8 sweeps. I can't recall for sure, but I may have had a loaded trunk when I did so and don't know if the auto tune boosted the sub eq. My car first and foremost is a daily driver and almost always commute with wife and 2 kids, typically having 2 car seats (you only saw it with one so that folks like you could move back and recline the driver's seat). Anyway, my typical trunk looks like this, with the first pic...including child's school backpack, lunch coolers, diaper bag, work computer bag(s), etc.

Second pic after loading all the bags...with a Peg Perego P3 stroller (for the stroller buffs out there, probably have at least heard of this - we love it and has lasted through both kids).

I don't know if a loaded trunk would have made an effect, but in any case, will need to do a bit more listening to see how my novice ears feel with your adjustment. Great meeting you as well, and hope to see you again...coming up in August?

Old 07-02-2012   #67
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 67 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

don't lie, you just like the cars, the cars that go boom!!

Great sounding car, you know what we thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
Jim, the pleasure was mine and thanks again for taking the time to listen, and of course spending the time with JT to drive up. As I mentioned to JT, I lived in LA for 5 years when I went to school down there (over 15 years ago now - Go Bruins) and have frequented that drive many times...not necessarily the nicest drive if you went up I-5.

I do not have a trained ear, so I would trust yours well beyond mine. Speaking of that sub eq cut, I wonder if it has something to do with when I ran the MS-8 sweeps. I can't recall for sure, but I may have had a loaded trunk when I did so and don't know if the auto tune boosted the sub eq. My car first and foremost is a daily driver and almost always commute with wife and 2 kids, typically having 2 car seats (you only saw it with one so that folks like you could move back and recline the driver's seat). Anyway, my typical trunk looks like this, with the first pic...including child's school backpack, lunch coolers, diaper bag, work computer bag(s), etc.

Second pic after loading all the bags...with a Peg Perego P3 stroller (for the stroller buffs out there, probably have at least heard of this - we love it and has lasted through both kids).

I don't know if a loaded trunk would have made an effect, but in any case, will need to do a bit more listening to see how my novice ears feel with your adjustment. Great meeting you as well, and hope to see you again...coming up in August?

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #68
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post
Honestly, as far as cars that go boom, I actually don't. I get lots of flack from forum guys on 8thcivic that I run one dinky 10 sealed (someone commented that it probably just "tickles"). So I'm actually surprised by the observation, but neutral with it. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the front stage (midbass on up)...which I'm glad you guys liked .

Quote:
Great sounding car, you know what we thought.
Yes, and am truly grateful and am genuinely humbled; and currently at a loss for words. With you, Jim, and Bing saying what you have, I really don't know what to say ...maybe can you guys think of something I should improve?

EDIT: Was great to meet you too JT. Speaking of theme parks, have you gone to Cedar Point? If you haven't, go there, not Great America...I've been there more recently and it's no comparison . I definitely agree with Bing though, you really need to expand your food choices, and Panda Express does not count .

Last edited by papasin; 07-02-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Old 07-02-2012   #69
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 67 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
EDIT: Was great to meet you too JT. Speaking of theme parks, have you gone to Cedar Point? If you haven't, go there, not Great America...I've been there more recently and it's no comparison . I definitely agree with Bing though, you really need to expand your food choices, and Panda Express does not count .
Cedar Point, oh how I miss it. I went 3 years in a row in the 90's. If I can find someone to go, I'm there. So many new rides I haven't been on.

As far as food, Bing suckered me. He said Fried Chicken...then added as we were about to get in the car, the Korean part. My Super Bird from Denny's on the way back today was gooooood!

Old 07-02-2012   #70

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 139 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

My favorite comment was when jt was following us to dinner and my wife was driving looked in the rear view mirror and said "that mofo drive slooowwww!" Hhahha well not the mofo part lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #71
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
As far as food, Bing suckered me. He said Fried Chicken...then added as we were about to get in the car, the Korean part. My Super Bird from Denny's on the way back today was gooooood!
He and I talked a little before you guys got there, come on, McDonalds? As for Korean food, you really should try Gal-bi. I'm far from being adventurous, but living in CA, you have so many options and it's a crime not to exercise it!

Old 07-02-2012   #72

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 139 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

He's a lost cause....hehe...but yeah. No need to be modest ur car rocks!

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #73
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Quote:
No need to be modest ur car rocks!
Because it goes boom, right?

Old 07-02-2012   #74
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Quote:
My favorite comment was when jt was following us to dinner and my wife was driving looked in the rear view mirror and said "that mofo drive slooowwww!" Hhahha well not the mofo part lol

that wasn't driving slow, that was looking around for something else to eat! but everything around there had that circle writing on the signs.

Old 07-11-2012   #75
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Jim, I had a chance to listen to it with the sub EQ change for a little over a week now. Let's just say I don't hate it.

In all seriousness, the balance is even better with that change and thanks again for listening to the car and giving me the tip. Hope to see you again in August and perhaps I can get a listen to that famed truck of yours .