LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:
12V Electrical Repair Technician

Rep Power: 56 Mopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enough

Default My 2011 Caravan Install Build......

OK...... here's the deal..... Take one nicely optioned Dodge Caravan ...... Already equipped with a nice MyGig bluetooth factory system ...... (6 speakers) and transorm it into a firebreathing kick-ass SQ install anyone would be proud of...... (ok, humor me here). Install an MS-8, a trio of Rockford Fosgate amps and a shitload of better speakers than factory.

I know I know.... it's a minivan.....but lets at least make the best of it.

Here is my canvass.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van 1.jpg (122.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Van 3.jpg (93.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 150882_468867662945_651512945_5909900_5784573_n.jpg (15.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Mopar244DIY; 11-04-2011 at 07:50 AM..
Mopar244DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

Rep Power: 56 Mopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enoughMopar244DIY will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My 2011 Caravan Install Build......

Last Picture.

Next come the build pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van 2.JPG (92.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-03-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Rep Power: 82 basshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura about

Minivan Rock!

Geez i wish i could have the 2011 engine in my 2007...

Don't forget to sound deadened the doors!

2012 IASCA SBN SQi Champion "Pro/Am"
2011 IASCA North American Runner-Up and SQi Champion "Pro/AM"
2011 IASCA Canadian Champion "Pro/Am"
2010 IASCA North American Champion "Rookie"
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 64 Coppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the rough

I was rocking a 2009 Honda Odysey, with the sound system. You power what you have and enjoy lol.
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 42 tknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enough

I have been planning on doing this to my 07 odyssey. Where do you plan on putting the ms8 and amps? I was considering the indoor storage area for myself but was not sure about over heating.
tknude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

Truth be told ........ I was planning on putting the amps and MS-8 in ........ the overhead console. I have a full length o/h without DVD players. My son stores candy and headphones and ipods up there and leaves it there when he's not in the van. It produces noises that I will look forward to eliminating.
Old 11-04-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 42 tknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enoughtknude will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a good place, as long as there is room for the stuff to breath I guess.

Coppertone, did you use the in floor storage for amps etc? How was it for heat in there or did you come up with some venting options?

Ted.
tknude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 64 Coppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the roughCoppertone is a jewel in the rough

The rear of my van had a location for the third row seats to fold down into. This space was sacrificed and two amps plus cooling fans for piece of mind placed there. My van had a tote box on the roof behind my moonroof for storage.
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 43 PottersField will become famous soon enoughPottersField will become famous soon enoughPottersField will become famous soon enoughPottersField will become famous soon enoughPottersField will become famous soon enoughPottersField will become famous soon enough

We just got a 2010 Town and Country as a company vehicle (think the layout is almost identical inside) and I was actually looking at all the storage areas and thinking the stow n go compartments would be great for amps and subs. The overhead console would be great for some super small amps like the ones from Massive or something.

Don't sweat rockin' a van though, it can still be a sweet ride. A set of rims with the right stance would make that thing look hot.

I'm a child of the 80s. I grew up with vinyl, 8-track, cassette, compact disc, AND mp3. Aint that some crazy shit.
PottersField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 blackknight87 will become famous soon enoughblackknight87 will become famous soon enoughblackknight87 will become famous soon enoughblackknight87 will become famous soon enoughblackknight87 will become famous soon enoughblackknight87 will become famous soon enough

I always look forward to a new build thread.

2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain......stock Bose for now.
blackknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 sqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to sqguy

and if u want tgo see the potentional of the mimi vans just search the web for japan styling vehicles they do justice to mini vans
sqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Rep Power: 82 basshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura about

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

Highest SQ score at SBN 2011
Highest SQ score at IASCA 2011 Canadian Finals

So there's potential

Old 11-06-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

Here is the list........

2011 Dodge Caravan
MyGig Stock radio w/Bluetooth
JVC KD-HDR50
JVC MS-8
Fosgate T400-4
Fosgate T400-2
Fosgate T500-bdcp
Dayton Audio DC160S-4 (fronts)
Dayton Audio RS75-4 (fronts and center)
Pyle Pro PDMR5 (center)
Vifa BC25SC06-04 (fronts)
Pioneer TS-A6960R (rears)
Infinity stock tweeters (d-pillars)
10" Infinity stock subwoofer (stock location)
15" Alpine Type R (behind third row seats)

Heavy amounts of vibration & sound damping as well.
Old 11-06-2011   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 43 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

I just wish they would slap a turbo on the van's like they did in the 80's
Viggen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I just wish they would slap a turbo on the van's like they did in the 80's
It wouldn't work with the stock 3.3 or 3.8, lots of work would be needed to have a semi reliable engine... If possible i would swap my 3.8 for the 3.6 Pentastar

Back to the subject

I spotted a few problems

Pyle Pro PDMR5, this driver is a closed back, the RS-75 will play lower... so there's no need for it.

Rear speaker in the van, can you tell me where they are located in the 2011, up to 2007 they are right in the side of the 3rd row, right underneath the window. There's no room in there, the stock speaker is barely making it. If they fit i would simply go with an other pair of RS-75 and don't bother try to get midbass from that location.

Stock Infinity sub, unless the MS-8 will be aware of 2 different sub in different location (don't even know if the MS-8 can handle that) i would suggest you not to use the stock one. If they get the same signal you will have phase problem, not to mention you might end up blowing the Infinity.

Infinity stock tweeters (d-pillars), if there's really tweeter in the D-Pillar don't use them.

Now, how do you plan to integrate both headunit? Also, do you plan to use the internal amp of the MS-8 since your missing some channel on your amps?

I know, I already mention it to you, but i would look into a beefy 6x9 as dedicated midbass for your doors if you are running 3ways. Simply cut the tweeter or LP them at the amp to prevent the MS-8 have them play too high.

Old 11-06-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

For starters .... the new Pentastar engine doesn't need a turbo. It has 285 HP from the factory as is..... There is a 400 HP 3.8 Pentastar engine in the works for 2012.

OK.... First off.... Thanks for all your input and thought spent on my install Basshead....

I will elaborate my thoughts towards my install..... I considered the Pyle midbass because there is a sweet central spot to install it in my "superconsole" below all the central switchwork. I wasn't aware the RS-75 played lower. If you think it is un-neccessary I will consider omitting it. On the subject of the subs..... I was gonna put the subs on a DPDT toggle switch and have a terminal plate installed into the side quarter trim in the back of the van........ (for the Type-R 15") When the seats were up .... use the Type-R, when the seats were down ..... use the Infinity 10". Not both @ same time.

NO speakers powered by the ms-8. Period.

LFD and LF dash tweet ch.1
RFD and RF dash tweet ch.2
LRQ and d-pillar tweet ch.3
RRQ and d-pillar tweet ch.4
10" Infinity or Alpine Type-R 15" channel 5
Center RS-75 and Pyle channel 6

The stock rear 6x9 speaker is beside the 3rd row seats..... lots more room there than you think. I am sure I could get almost any driver in there within reason.

The 10" Infinity is located between the C and D pillars on Drivers side behind the quarter trim below the pop out quarter window. Between the tailamp and the rear LH wheelwell.

Yes..... there COULD be a D-pillar tweeter..... I will take a pic tomorrow to show you where it it located. The "high" end stock systems have 11 speakers.

I am open to ideas so .... I will re-read your suggestions over and over.

I wanted a more "active" front stage and was considering seperating the 6.5 inchers from the dash L&R RS-75's. (then the RS-75 dash speakers would be powered by the MS-8)

I haven't started my build yet and definitely want to get started ASAP. I am gonna target the end of the month for my build. I have everything except for the time.

Oh, I meant to add that the MS-8 has an Aux input that I was gonna use with the RCA's from the JVC head unit. I was very happy with that head unit in my last car ..... till I bought this van. I do seriously like the MyGig though.... It does it all. Sounds very good I might add for a stock system w/out a subwoofer.

And really.....? Replace the 6.5's with a 6x9? How come? I know the stock location houses a 6x9 .... but I thought this combo would sound better. Please elaborate..... I am all ears.
Old 11-06-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Ugliest color ever, but the van is pretty cool

Looking forward to the pics!
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

ok, the Pyle is a midrange and not a midbass so i would simply use the RS-75 alone for center.

I like the DPDT switch idea, when you setup the MS-8 make sure you are on the 15

Then if you like the MyGig, try it with the MS-8 alone first. Don't get yourself in a project too big, specially if you don't have much time.

Yup 6x9, idk where i saw that quote but "there's no replacement for displacement", that mean the more cone area you have the more air it will move. In a 2 way setup i would have say meh, but for a dedicated midbass why not? For a midbass you don't need it to play very high (maybe 300Hz with the RS-75), so a good 6x9 that's not too mechanically noisy will beat any 6,5 midbass in term of output due to the larger cone(around 23% more cone area). One 6x9 that comes to mind is the HAT i69.

Last edited by basshead; 11-06-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-06-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 122 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Hot soccer moms drive mini vans....LOL
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

looks like a good deal to me ID x69

Old 11-07-2011   #21

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

Sweet! I like! Definately gonna consider your advice......

Thanks.

Darcy
Old 05-09-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

OK, so it's been a slow build. I knew that it was gonna take some time to collect my gear and for the warm weather to arrive. Yesterday I started with a bit of stuff. I installed a Coastal Electronics Lockpick. (I know I know... Big deal) But at least it is something. I start out slow and then work up steam. I also ran some of my BIG 3 upgrade wiring and a 200 amp relay. Plan on more today. Maybe even a camera or two.

Here's some pics so far.

If anybody wants a Lockpick .... I ordered mine from ebay from a seller named 12vforless. It was the best transaction and speedy too. Very good seller. Ordered Saturday morning .......had it the following Monday evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8465.jpg (52.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8466.jpg (64.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8472.jpg (77.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8479.jpg (49.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-09-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

More BIG 3 update pics. Got out there this morning....... FINISHED. Grounded right to alternator bolt and a secondary ground to chassis added as well. The factory ground points got a good cleaning as well.

Upgraded the battery post/connectors from the crap factory ones. Ready to run 4 guage from isolator relay.

Darcy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8480.jpg (71.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8481.jpg (46.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8482.jpg (52.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8485.jpg (32.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8489.jpg (53.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8491.jpg (78.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8492.jpg (64.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8493.jpg (34.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8494.jpg (76.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-18-2012   #24

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler
Position:

Got started on my front doors. Pretty standard stuff. Dynamat, and acoustic foam. I can tell you now ..... I notice a difference already.... I also rustproofed the inside of the doors after Dynamatting. It smells kinda funny in the car but .... I hope the smell goes away....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8511.jpg (76.6 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8537.jpg (75.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8562.jpg (90.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8587.jpg (89.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8611.jpg (53.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8636.jpg (69.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8662.jpg (90.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8687.jpg (94.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8711.jpg (94.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8737.jpg (110.5 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by Mopar244DIY; 05-18-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-20-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

This is going along, keep it up.

Wow the new Caravan doors sucks...