First some background: I picked the 97 rivi with this build in mind. I have always liked the style of the car, and thought it would make a great platform for a great sound quality system. The car is a daily driver and I will be competing in the MECA sound quality organization.
Here are a few pics of the car.
The exterior of the car is VERY modified.....here is a link if you are interested in the exterior build.
First I had to strip the interior down to the metal and apply sound deadening material.
I installed seats from a Jaguar s-type. I also relocated the seat rails further back and a little closer to the middle of the car.
Stock seat (blue) slid all the way back, and new seat (black) also slid all the way back.
Here is the new back seat.
I also installed a steering wheel from a cadillac cts. The buttons have been rewired to operate the pioneer dexp9 deck, navigation, and dvd changer. Ignore the dash in the background, the plan has changed since then.
Back to the dash. Now I started laying out framework for the basic shape of the dash.
Now for some foam blocks to help define the shape of the dash.
ready for some resin and glass.
Got the dash out. Worked out great. Five bolts hold the top of the dash in ( screwed through the piece of right angle steel). It is solid when it is in and it is easy to remove. I'm very pleased so far.
Let me apologize for the mess in the shop. I have twice as many projects going on as I have room for. That always seems to be the case though.
Anyway, smoothed the foam, taped off the back to get a good fit to the windshield, and applied 4 layers of fiberglass cloth to the rear part of the dash. Then applied another 4 layers to the entire piece. It should be plenty strong now. Once this cures I will trim the edges, reinstall in the car, and proceed to the next step.
Working on the gauge cluster now. Again with the foam.
Here are some pics of the amps being modified by Matt Roberts. They are four zapco reference 200.2 amps stuffed into two reference 650.6 heat sink chassis. Each 650.6 chassis is about three feet long. The amps were put into the larger heat sinks to help dissipate the heat more efficiently.
All that is left for these is to attach the covers and end plates.
These amps are for the tweeters, midrange and midbass drivers. One amp for each speaker.
I also have a reference 1100.1 for the sub (also in a 650.6 chassis).
I have a tendency to try to hide the audio components as much as possible, so here is the plan.
Here are two amplifier chassis placed back to back to try to save some space, after all these things are NOT small. This is a lot of amp to try to hide.
The idea is to make a motorized drawer under the rear deck in the trunk.
First I will be removing the end plates from the amps and making new ones that will span both amps attaching them together.
I will be attaching drawer rails to the amp rack to allow it to slide from under the rear deck to reveal the amps.
This is going to be a tight fit, but if it was easy everyone would do it right. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
I've seen this car in person and the bodywork and paint is amazing. The trunk work wasn't that far along when I saw it. When finished I have no doubt the interior / sound system work will rival the bodywork.