LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 99 alpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enough

Default sq riviera build

First some background: I picked the 97 rivi with this build in mind. I have always liked the style of the car, and thought it would make a great platform for a great sound quality system. The car is a daily driver and I will be competing in the MECA sound quality organization.

Here are a few pics of the car.

The exterior of the car is VERY modified.....here is a link if you are interested in the exterior build.

Write-Up: Front & Rear Bumper Modification

Anyway, on with the build:

First I had to strip the interior down to the metal and apply sound deadening material.

I installed seats from a Jaguar s-type. I also relocated the seat rails further back and a little closer to the middle of the car.

Stock seat (blue) slid all the way back, and new seat (black) also slid all the way back.

Here is the new back seat.

I also installed a steering wheel from a cadillac cts. The buttons have been rewired to operate the pioneer dexp9 deck, navigation, and dvd changer. Ignore the dash in the background, the plan has changed since then.

Back to the dash. Now I started laying out framework for the basic shape of the dash.

TEAM ZAPCO
alpinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 99 alpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enoughalpinem will become famous soon enough

Default Re: sq riviera build

Now for some foam blocks to help define the shape of the dash.

ready for some resin and glass.

Got the dash out. Worked out great. Five bolts hold the top of the dash in ( screwed through the piece of right angle steel). It is solid when it is in and it is easy to remove. I'm very pleased so far.

Let me apologize for the mess in the shop. I have twice as many projects going on as I have room for. That always seems to be the case though.

Anyway, smoothed the foam, taped off the back to get a good fit to the windshield, and applied 4 layers of fiberglass cloth to the rear part of the dash. Then applied another 4 layers to the entire piece. It should be plenty strong now. Once this cures I will trim the edges, reinstall in the car, and proceed to the next step.

Working on the gauge cluster now. Again with the foam.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Now for some rough shaping.

Now back in the car to see how it looks.

Now for a couple of layers of fiberglass.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 44 upgrayedd will become famous soon enoughupgrayedd will become famous soon enoughupgrayedd will become famous soon enoughupgrayedd will become famous soon enoughupgrayedd will become famous soon enoughupgrayedd will become famous soon enough

pretty bad ass
upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

I removed the form from the dash to remove the tape and foam. Then replaced the form on the dash and applied a couple more layers of fiberglass. Now the gauge pod is permanently attached to the dash.

This will eventually be a large grill for the speakers that will be installed under it. Time to set this aside for now. On to the stuff that will be under this piece.

Here is the idea. I will be putting a B&W 15" sub in a 3cf enclosure in the center of the dash and an 8" scanspeak midbass in each corner of the dash.

Here is the plan for the sub.

You can also see in this pic the HAT L4se that is in a .3cf enclosure in the base of the a-pillar.

Here is the beginning of the sub enclosure.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

... Squirrel!!!...

Rep Power: 453 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

The level of skill and knowledge you have is, honest to God, the highest I've known of anyone. You also have the highest level of patience of anyone I've ever known as well.

Excited to see this build in it's entirety and very happy about you getting back in the lanes after all these years. Glad to call you and friend and mentor.

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Moving to the amps......

Here are some pics of the amps being modified by Matt Roberts. They are four zapco reference 200.2 amps stuffed into two reference 650.6 heat sink chassis. Each 650.6 chassis is about three feet long. The amps were put into the larger heat sinks to help dissipate the heat more efficiently.

All that is left for these is to attach the covers and end plates.

These amps are for the tweeters, midrange and midbass drivers. One amp for each speaker.
I also have a reference 1100.1 for the sub (also in a 650.6 chassis).

I have a tendency to try to hide the audio components as much as possible, so here is the plan.

Here are two amplifier chassis placed back to back to try to save some space, after all these things are NOT small. This is a lot of amp to try to hide.

The idea is to make a motorized drawer under the rear deck in the trunk.

First I will be removing the end plates from the amps and making new ones that will span both amps attaching them together.

I will be attaching drawer rails to the amp rack to allow it to slide from under the rear deck to reveal the amps.

This is going to be a tight fit, but if it was easy everyone would do it right. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

Here is the new end cap. 16ga steel, should be plenty strong.

Now both amps are attached together to make one huge amplifier.

Got some 1/2" square tube steel for the framework of the drawer.

Here is the base for the amplifiers. I stink at welding, but I can grind, fill, and paint.....

Checking fit and marking mounting locations.

Amp mounted to the base.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rails mounted to the amp.

Plenty of travel.

Now to move into the trunk to make the mounts and locate the rails.

Got the amp rack mocked up today. Still have a lot of work on the mount in the trunk, but this is the idea.

Here is the amp drawer in the "closed" position. Looks fairly stock.

Here is a lower angle.

Here the wire cover is clamped in place to check clearance. I don't want the amp scraping on the trunk as the drawer opens.

Here is the drawer in the "open" position.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

The wood is to just there to support the weight until I finish with the brackets in the trunk.

No more wood supporting the amplifier, the mounting fabrication is finished.

Its not easy to hide 2000 watts worth of amplifier, but I am happy with the results. The rack is very sturdy. When the trim panels for the trunk are done you won't be able to see anything at all.

Now I just have to get the actuator and limit switches and the rack will be motorized.

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-29-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 97 Mirage_Man will become famous soon enoughMirage_Man will become famous soon enoughMirage_Man will become famous soon enoughMirage_Man will become famous soon enoughMirage_Man will become famous soon enoughMirage_Man will become famous soon enough

Holy $hit Man! Talk about mad fab skills. Can't wait to see this done.

I'm almost embarrassed to show my work after seeing this.
Mirage_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 oxsign will become famous soon enoughoxsign will become famous soon enoughoxsign will become famous soon enoughoxsign will become famous soon enoughoxsign will become famous soon enoughoxsign will become famous soon enough

Sub'd to this amazing build.
oxsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 81 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe a 15" sub dead smack right at the dash.
robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 adamand will become famous soon enoughadamand will become famous soon enoughadamand will become famous soon enoughadamand will become famous soon enoughadamand will become famous soon enoughadamand will become famous soon enough

/scrolls through post/

hmmm... nice lookin' car......

/scrolls some more/

Cool, a totally new dash.......

/scrolls some more/

Wait..... what the! /faints/

I don't know what's more impressive - that you're installing a 15" in the dash or that you can fit a 3 cubic foot enclosure up there!!

SUB'd!

00 Accord: Eclipse:CD | H-Audio Trinity/Ebony/silk 1" front & Ebony rear | MS-8 | AE IB15 | Boston GT amps | Build Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...q-install.html
adamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 51 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Very interesting build. Definately gonna follow this.
bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Absolutely stunning install, bravo! Will be checking back every day for updates!
Thrill_House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Position:
Fab guy

Rep Power: 81 bobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enough

been watching on FGF. very cool

Nelson Hays
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Anchorage, AK
bobwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 81 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamand View Post
I don't know what's more impressive - that you're installing a 15" in the dash or that you can fit a 3 cubic foot enclosure up there!!
That's what I wanna see accomplished. The HOW!
robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #19
DAT
Upgrade Your Membership!

LEFT THE BUILDING

Rep Power: 349 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

WHoa this is crazy.... More soon please

I'm a big ol' loser.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 101 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

This has all the makings of an EPIC build thread. I'm getting my subscription in early.

They did WHAT to that monkey?!?! -Anonymous
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #21

Always have been

Rep Power: 152 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen this car in person and the bodywork and paint is amazing. The trunk work wasn't that far along when I saw it. When finished I have no doubt the interior / sound system work will rival the bodywork.
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 Andy Jones will become famous soon enoughAndy Jones will become famous soon enoughAndy Jones will become famous soon enoughAndy Jones will become famous soon enoughAndy Jones will become famous soon enoughAndy Jones will become famous soon enough

If only you could get over your fear of cutting metal. . . . .

Car looks amazing. That bumper process was crazy--and well worth the effort.
Andy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Jones View Post
If only you could get over your fear of cutting metal. . . . .

Now that was funny!!!!!!

TEAM ZAPCO
Old 01-30-2012   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Best Buy

Rep Power: 76 chevbowtie22 will become famous soon enoughchevbowtie22 will become famous soon enoughchevbowtie22 will become famous soon enoughchevbowtie22 will become famous soon enoughchevbowtie22 will become famous soon enoughchevbowtie22 will become famous soon enough

Simply Unbelievable!! I'm looking forward to this build for sure. Amazing!
chevbowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 unemployedconsumer will become famous soon enoughunemployedconsumer will become famous soon enoughunemployedconsumer will become famous soon enoughunemployedconsumer will become famous soon enoughunemployedconsumer will become famous soon enoughunemployedconsumer will become famous soon enough

love the car and this build is totally bottling my mind.
unemployedconsumer is offline   Reply With Quote