LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Rep Power: 970 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Default 2012 WRX (eventual) build log

I realize I am putting the cart ahead of the horse, but I figured I would start the Build log now, even though I have been known to change my mind.

Thus far, the plans are to run a yet to be determined Double DIN head unit, a Mosconi DSP 6to8, and some Soundstream Reference RF3.6C components, but with an Eclipse tweeter.

This is what the pillar location looks like in the car:

I'm going to use the Eclipse tweeter in the stock location and mount the mid in the pillar. In fact, I already have a set of pillars that I purchased from a salvage yard:

Here is a closeup photo of roughly where I plan to put the mid:

I guess you can say that I am still in the brainstorming session and the final product may vary!

2013 GTI Driver's Edition - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU with Stage 2 DSG
ChrisB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 113 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2012 WRX (eventual) build log

Subscribed!!!

chithead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Rep Power: 970 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, I made no progress.

It's just as well though because it's been too damn hot to do a build.

EDIT:

I think I finally figured out a direction.

The new plan is:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Alpine PDX V9
Genesis Profile 16 components run active in the doors/sail stock locations
Digital Designs 1508 ported, and direct fired into the cabin through the passthru

I may end up going with the audio Integrations 10" sealed enclosure and a Type R 10, depending on how easily I can make the 1508 to remove. It's very rare that I use the passthru, but I want to keep it available to use.

Old 08-16-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:

Rep Power: 113 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

This is true.

I've been collecting equipment, but still no new WRX

Old 08-25-2012   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

And the parts begin to arrive:

Axxess steering wheel controller from ae64.com:

Subaru 20 pin harness from ae64.com:

Aux input adapter from ae64.com:

Found this while digging through boxes:

System plan as it currently sits:

Old 08-25-2012   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 66 IDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enough

Sub'd. I have a 2012 STi. I wanna see where this goes.

SQ retard.
IDGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Man, soldering on this Hirose Electric GT17HN-4DP-2H(A) was not fun:

Oh well, at least I should be able to retain my factory USB port with an aftermarket HU. I am going to epoxy over the pins to keep them in place after this tropical storm mess is over with!

Old 08-27-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:

Ahhh, epoxy. Good idea. I stared at that picture for a minute wondering how in the world heatshrink could help, but epoxy. Well played sir, well played.

Old 09-02-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 mulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
This is true.

I've been collecting equipment, but still no new WRX
Subscribed!

I purchased Jan 31st this year and picked up at the dealer April 4th. At least you've got the bits and pieces to start your planning... that's the one thing I wish I had started earlier!
mulagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 66 IDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Man, soldering on this Hirose Electric GT17HN-4DP-2H(A) was not fun:

Oh well, at least I should be able to retain my factory USB port with an aftermarket HU. I am going to epoxy over the pins to keep them in place after this tropical storm mess is over with!
What is that? Where is that? And where is the tutorial on how to integrate the factory USB, please!

SQ retard.
Old 09-02-2012   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF View Post
What is that? Where is that? And where is the tutorial on how to integrate the factory USB, please!
Here you go: Stock USB with Aftermarket Radio - NO Cutting - NASIOC

I have an extra plug and if I run across a spare USB cable to cut at my old house, I may be able to make another one.

Old 09-14-2012   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Oh well, I already had a change of plans... JL audio Evolution C5-650 it is! Hopefully their .75" (19mm) tweeter fits in the sails better than the Genesis Profile 16 tweeter (25mm) that would have required either 1. destroying the sails and the use of glue OR 2. lots of FG and rebuilding. Sorry, it's just Car audio and I don't have the patience to put a lot of time into building up the sails to fit a specific tweeter.

Old 09-14-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:

You'll be quite pleased. I promise

Old 09-14-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 83 Coppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really niceCoppertone is just really nice

I concur....

Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 Hemi powered.
** FS: Alpine INA W910 HU ****
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 77 FLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished road

Big BOXER fan... I'M IN
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

The C5s were a better choice for easy installation in the factory sails:

It's like the tweeter was MADE for this location:

A little of Don @ sound deadener showdown's CCF applied to the back to form a wedgie:

All ready to go:

All I need is TIME... I am going to be in court on Tuesday, and scheduled for Federal Jury Duty for October 01, 2012.

Old 09-24-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:

Now THAT is cool. Factory looking for sure. Wishing I had that option with our new Forester, but having to do that chop, cut, rebuild of the factory sail panels

Old 09-29-2012   #18

DIYMA Novice

You've got me seriously condiering the C5's just to put them there. Tough to let go of my Dyn's though. How good are the C5's?

SQ retard.
Old 09-29-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 mulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enough

Hopefully you like the C5s. I went a slightly different route with my ZRs, doesn't have a factory look by any means but also required no cutting or mods. So something to consider if you don't end up liking them and go with a tweeter that doesn't fit in the sails.

Install was cake. Just a little carbon fiber cutout glued to the back of the surface mount cup and Velcro dual-lock to mount. Surprisingly not flimsy at all, they don't budge. It took me about 2 hours for both sides and a good portion of that was pulling and replacing the door panels. For anyone debating factory location of mods, this works great for shallow mount or 1"+ format tweets - almost perfectly on-axis and point sourced.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of JL components. I havent been too impressed with the ZRs. The tweeters are to scratchy for my taste (running off an ADS PH30 for now, but with no DSP except the factory HU and LC6i. Probably getting a Profile 4 and Bit1 or MS-8 soon). Anyhow, not to hijack - just wanted to share another option. I love JL subs but not too sure about their components. Hopefully the C5s are a little gentler on your ears!

2012 STi SPT wagon | Factory Nav > Mosconi 6to8 SPDIF | AS100.4 (BTL) > Scan 18W/4531 | AS100.4 > Scan D2904/6k, 12m | JL HD1200/1 > 12w7
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mulagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 77 FLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished road

Mulagain,

Geez, a hard dome tweeter mounted there with that angle? that
would be really harsh to me, you must not have very much power
going to them. are they very localized?
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cornholio will become famous soon enoughcornholio will become famous soon enoughcornholio will become famous soon enoughcornholio will become famous soon enoughcornholio will become famous soon enoughcornholio will become famous soon enough

Subscribed, i love subaru, wish i still had mine
cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #22

DIYMA Novice

I've actually heard "SubieMax"s 2011 WRX with his tweeters where Mulagain has his. Except Max's were flush mounted. I forget what tweeters he had there, but they sounded great there and that'll be my next spot to try if the C5's (I went ahead and got some) don't work out in the sails.

I got my USACi SQ disk in the other day and did some listening. The tracks where voices say, "I am on the left side. My voice should come from a single point on the left side of the stage"... it's very easy to locate my stage as too low. The centered voice is up high, but when the channels are seperated, the tweeters being below the dash really drag it down.

One little side note on that though... I don't know what velcro you're using, but the industrial strength stuff I use won't even come close to sticking to any of my panels. Let alone "not budging."

SQ retard.
Old 10-01-2012   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Oh well, this was a Build up that fell flat on its face. Either I have issues with the HU or I have issues with the amp. There is a turn-on/turn-off click and a slight hiss. It's not loud enough to make me point to a Pico fuse issue, and given my less than stellar track record with Alpine PDX amplifiers, it really comes as no surprise.

I hate the DEH-80PRS with a passion. The display washed out on an overcast day and I hate to see what it will do when the sun is out. The menu is uber meh and I've already complained about it enough for one day. Sorry, but the HU is a major let down. Then to add insult to injury, I need to modify the aftermarket dash kit just so I can fold the face down.

The Alpine PDX V9... If I wanted hiss, I would have stayed running amplifiers from the 90s.

The JL audio C5-650s, now those I like. I even like the Digital Designs 1508 in the test box that I built for it, so I'll be keeping those.

When time permits, I may end up doing a v2 Build log...

Old 10-01-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:

2012 WRX Build Log V2.0 - patiently waiting.

Old 10-01-2012   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Only downside, I am considering giving up this go round. I turn 40 at the end of this year and it is clear that I don't enjoy Car audio any longer. Two afternoons of blood and sweat only to have an RMA on the HU less than 24 hours after finishing the install.... That's a new record for me.