DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2000 S-10 Blazer re-install, Precision Power Art Series, Alumapro M16, Eclipse

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Navy Chief 
#1 ·
Ok so I took a week off of work to do a re-install of my daily driver a 2000 S-10 Blazer. I completed the original install last spring and have spent the last year figuring out what I like and what I don't like. Here is the link to the original install if anyone would like to take a look.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-image-dynamics-what-i-had-laying-around.html

So the things that I want to keep are the head unit install and the four Eclipse 6 1/2s, two in the doors and two in the rear quarter panels. I will however be reinstalling the door speakers due to the fact that they are spaced to far out and cannot get the door panel on properly. I am also going to add a 3 inch widebander into the line up and see how I like it, i picked up a pair of HiVi 3" because they were cheap and got good reviews. The biggest change will be the amplifier line-up and install as well as the subwoofer line-up and install. Here is the current equipment that I will be installing.

Head unit - Eclipse 7200 MKII
Equalizer - Eclipse EQ-2102 30 band (on the high channel only)
Tweeters - (2) Eclipse 8001, made by vifa (may change these out)
Mid - (2) HiVi B3N
Midbass - (4) Eclipse 8061, made by vifa
Subwoofer - Alumapro M16, 16"
High/Mid Amp - PPI A200 (running tweeters and 3" mids)
Midbass Amp - PPI A1200 (running four 6 1/2s at 8 ohm)
Sub Amp - PPI 2350DM

Pic of what it has looked like for the last year.

New layout, the M16 will be in a round enclosure that mimics a spare tire.

The amps will be in a false floor.

Current look of the head unit, this will stay

I already have 0 gauge run but will be upgrading to a 200 amp alternator

All input is welcome and encouraged, the goal is SQL with the ability to get loud and stay stealthy.

See less See more
#3 ·
Running the A1200 and A200 both at 8 ohm stereo so that should significantly reduce the power draw. The A200 and A1200 heatsinks go back to the powdercoater for clear coat in the morning.

#5 ·
I'll get some good pics of how I closed off the door for you, I get outstanding midbass response now, I just cant get the door panel on right. I have been thinking, thinking and over thinking how I want to do the false floor, been looking at lots of installs for ideas and I think I have a plan, we will see.

#7 ·
Is 8ohms by choice?
Both were designed to run at 2-4ohms.

Also, make sure you remove all the powdercoating along the inside rails where the fets mount.
My tech actually polishes the rails to help direct contact.
Just trying to save you a nightmare.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

#9 ·
Yes 8 ohms is by choice, I am really under using these amps. I have four 4 ohm 6 1/2s so it is either 2 ohm or 8 ohm load on the A1200. I don't think my 6 1/2s will handle 300 watts a piece so an 8 ohm load it is (75 watts a piece). Also running an 8 ohm load should keep heat down, don't want to run extra fans under the false floor if I don't have to. The A200 is running a 6 ohm tweet and 8 ohm mid for now, so stuck with a nominal 8 ohm load there also. When I had the amps powdercoated I had him put that special tape on the fet mounting area so they have no powdercoat on them, but thanks for the recommendation.

#18 ·
The stock alternator on the newer blazers are a 105 amp. i ran a JL 1000/1 and a 300/4 on it and had such bad drop that the sub amp kicked off on me a few times.

Great looking trunk area. i had a false floor in mine if you want some photos for it

#19 ·
Got the bottom board cut today to match the contours of the hatch area. Also got a lot of planning done today, everything to the left of the line will be permanent (not removable) so that I can bolt the enclosure to it.

Since I am building a subwoofer box that mimics a spare tire I thought I would see what the sub looks like in one of my actual tires. Both the sub and tire are sitting flat on the concrete, so the box should be dimensionally almost identical to my real tires. By the way those are 275 40-17s, they are almost a foot wide.

#21 ·
So I calculated that I will need 3" spacers for the beauty panel that will be cut out around the amps. Last night I glued and clamped 4 pieces of 3/4 MDF together so that this morning I could cut it into spacer blocks.

Here is the block after I removed the clamps and cut it smooth

I partitioned the block into the different size pieces I need

After I cut it up this is what I got, 4 big and 8 small

Here is the approximate layout, it will make more sense when I have more stuff there. The Art Series heatsinks are getting clearcoated today so I did not have them for mock-up.

Here is the height in relation to the 2350DM, which is by far the tallest amp.

#22 ·
So I cannot ever stay focused on one thing so I also started on the spare tire shaped enclosure today. I convinced myself that I needed to see it's size to move further. I realize that making MDF rings is not the most efficient use of material and I could have fiberglassed this, but I didn't, and you will see why later.

6 rings cut and clamped, it was all the MDF I had on hand I went thru a full sheet. The rings are 27' outside diameter but only need 24" of height because I truncated the bottom. This lets me get 6 rings per sheet with the diameter I want.

After removing the clamps, I mocked it up for size in relation to the cabin.

As you can see still not deep enough by any means, I am going to try to use some of the dead space behind the enclosure to gain so cu. ft.. This is as close as I can get it to the interior panels without rubbing on the roof panel. Wondering if using this massive sub is all worthwhile it is a B*tch to fit, ya it is.

#24 ·
Not much progress today, I did however take my little girl to see the Lorax. I also got the amps back from the powdercoater for the last time and put them in for confirmation of final mock-up. As a side note does anyone have experience attaching an art spacer, what is the trick what does it attach to.

#28 ·
hmmm you never finished this build? :) what happened! i wanna know what happened :D tehe. also i really need to knwo the cutout for that m16 because im looking for it now and i can't find it lol.

#31 ·
Ok, well that's almost correct. I have shifted focus to my 1 ton 4x4 and when it is done I will probably sell the Blazer, so it didn't seem to make sense to drop so much effort and money into it. I did sell my M16 because it is too big to fit in anything but an SUV (by the way I don't have measurements for it anymore). The amps are still for sale, I am in negotiation for a cash and trade deal but it is not final yet. If they don't sell they are going in the 1 ton, but it is a lot more power than I need. I have a modest system in the Blazer now but nothing exciting to look at. It has a pair of PPI PC 4100s and some nice 12s for now.

#30 ·
oh ****. i knew he sold the sub because he was talking to me about it because I picked one up :) thats why i was curiouse. tehe. i just finished my box install for mine :D check it out, silver bullter monte carlo 2004

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.