LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 42 MileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enough

Default Dayton, SB Acoustics, JL, JBL, Image Dynamics + pics galore makes Dave a happy panda.

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, hope everyone has survived without me! I traded in my IS350 this January for a 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, so I was happy to go back to the drawing board for the sound system.

As with every car I've ever owned, the first mod was the sound system. I've always been an audio enthusiast, and stock stereos make Dave a saaaaaaad Panda. After a fair bit of research, thanks to the gaping speaker hole in the Corvette's doors, I decided I had room to go with an active 4-way setup.

Quick break down of equipment:
DRIVERS
Tweeters: SB Acoustics Ring Radiators SB29RDCN
Midranges: Dayton 2" domes RS52AN
Woofers: Dayton Audio 7" RS180
Subwoofers: Image Dynamics 8" ID8V.3

ELECTRONICS
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
Speaker Amplifier: JL Audio XD600/6
Subwoofer Amplifier: JL Audio XD600/1
22 Band equalizer: JBL GTE422
4-way active crossover network: JBL GTX47

INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT
SubThump partition subwoofer box
Metra double din dash kit
PAC interface unit to retain OnStar
Dynamat Superlite
Stinger electronics for all wiring/distribution

I didn't bother to take pictures of the head unit install. It's easy, been done a million times, and is a matter of following directions provided by Metra and PAC.

After the Head unit was installed, I tackled the doors. First step, cut adapters. I cut the lower piece out of 3/4 MDF and the tweeter mount out of 1/2" MDF.

Next, mount the speaker drivers to the adapters. This is where I had to get creative. The hole is big, but it was still a challenge to mount both a 7" driver and a 2" dome with a 4" flange. I measured exhaustively to make sure everything would fit. I had to cut some of the dome flange using my dremel in order to make it fit.

MileHigh350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 42 MileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enoughMileHigh350 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dayton, SB Acoustics, JL, JBL, Image Dynamics + pics galore makes Dave a happy pa

Time to start the wiring. I didn't take nearly as many pictures of the wiring as I should have, but it wasn't terribly complicated. I took the 3GA power wire through a slit in the stock firewall grommet and ran it along the passenger side of the tunnel. I always make sure to not run power along side any signal wiring. speaker wires were simply guided through the door's "accordion" grommet, then along the floorboards to the rear.

Now to build the electronics rack and run all the interior wiring. I used 4 strips of scrap wood to space the rack to allow for neat wiring underneath. After mocking up the installation and drilling holes to run the wiring, I carpeted the rack with some dark grey fabric that I picked up from Hobby Lobby.

Here's the finished amp rack, wired up, with the subwoofer box and subs installed as well. The corvette lettering on the sub box is a great subtle touch, and is offered as an add-on option from SubThump. I'm working on a cover with adequate air circulation to fit over the top of the electronics to conceal them neatly, but for now, they remain exposed.

Old 03-27-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Default Re: Dayton, SB Acoustics, JL, JBL, Image Dynamics + pics galore makes Dave a happy pa

Once everything was finalized, I did an initial calibration using the AudioTools iPhone app as my RTA/mic. Using the 22 band EQ, I leveled everything out as much as I could. I gave the speakers about two weeks break-in time, then re-calibrated. I'm very happy with the result. However, as I am never satisfied, I'm already looking into a carputer install for this summer!

For those that care about the sound quality of the drivers, I gave them a quick synopsis and grade.
Head Unit: C
The head unit does many things well and provides many features, but I'll admit that pioneer seemed to sacrifice some SQ in order to pack as many features as possible into the sub-$400 price point. As stated above, I'll most likely be tackling a carputer project to replace the Pioneer unit this summer.

JL Amps: A
JL makes a great product. Maybe not as good as their old school stuff, but still very respectable (and I got a great deal on them that I couldn't pass up). They are also tiny, which is great for the limited space of a Vette.

JBL Processing equipment: A
These units can be picked up for about $140 for the pair, and work great together. No noise added, and calibration is a cinch.

SB Acoustics Tweeters: A+
These tweeters are some of the best I've worked with for the price. Smooth, detailed, and a wide listening stage. Great driver.

Dayton Audio dome midranges: B
These are great for the vocal range, and are easy to blend. Domes are much better at dispersion than cones as well. They do tend to sound a little "thick", and could be a bit more detailed. Their sensitivity is also quite high, so I had to back them off quite a bit, not necessarily a bad thing.

Dayton Audio 7" Woofer: B
Great detail from these woofers, but lack a bit of the "thump" that I like to have in the 100Hz-500Hz range.

Image Dynamics 8" subs: C
These subs have great SQ, but can honestly barely keep up with the rest of the system. I may be replacing these this summer.

Overall though, the system sounds great, and it was a fun install for sure.

Last edited by MileHigh350; 03-27-2012 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: added photo of car
Old 03-27-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 124 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Simple and clean - very nice! I've never seen those JBL eqs - very neat.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 116 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Nice n tidy

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
brandt│akustik
Position:
H.C.I.C.

Rep Power: 102 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Wow, no offense, but I was nervous about the list of equipment you listed to install in a newer Vette, but it worked out very well! Excellent fabrication and integration of everything.
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Wow, no offense, but I was nervous about the list of equipment you listed to install in a newer Vette, but it worked out very well! Excellent fabrication and integration of everything.
I would never take offense to a compliment!

I did have a couple of conditions going into the project. Condition 1 was that I would NOT cut ANY fiberglass, and condition2 was that I didn't want to do any custom work to the car that couldn't be returned to stock. The only modifications that had to be made to the car were a slit in the main wiring grommet in the firewall, slight enlargement of the door speaker mount holes, and I had to take the dremel to a couple of small spots on the back of the door panels to allow for the 3/4" thickness of the MDF adapters. Other than that, the car was unharmed.
Old 03-27-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Simple and clean - very nice! I've never seen those JBL eqs - very neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
Nice n tidy
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Just noticed that I didn't actually post a picture of the car itself. Fixed.
Old 03-28-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 71 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Great build. Where did you install the tweeters?

kizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Great build. Where did you install the tweeters?
Thanks!

On the C6 corvette, the tweeters actually mount to the back side of the door panels as opposed to the door itself. That's why you only see them in a couple of the photos. Below is a picture of my interior with the door panel on. You can see the tweeter grill above the woofer grill, just to the right of the passenger side front vent, which is where my tweeter is.

Old 03-29-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 slowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to slowsedan01

Nice install. Did you get that GTX47 on Amazon? How do you like it and its operation? I missed my opportunity, hopefully that guy can get his hands on more of them.

Just some stuff in a Honda Accord.
slowsedan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 metalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enough

Very clean. Love it.
metalball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #14

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsedan01 View Post
Nice install. Did you get that GTX47 on Amazon? How do you like it and its operation? I missed my opportunity, hopefully that guy can get his hands on more of them.
Yep, I got the pair on Amazon. I didn't realize they were so hard to get, I guess I just got lucky. I can't believe that products like this have been around so long, yet no one makes them anymore. I guess everyone has gravitated towards digital processors these days...

Trends or not though, I can't believe that it's so hard to find an active 4-way crossover network without jumping into expensive processors.

I like the product, it does what it is (or was) advertised to do. No noise introduced that I could hear, and the output signal strength is acceptable. I didn't, however, do any pre/post analysis to analyze any signal noise/degredation. Since it's a 4-way, the available crossover freqs for the middle two bands are very flexible, which is nice.