LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
MECA
Position:
Promoter

Rep Power: 76 SoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enough

Default 1957 Ford Fairlane - Dynaudio Esotar speakers / Tru amps /Arc processor

1957 Ford Fairlane Club Victoria SQ install build log

Installation goals:
1.) Be able to pay my mortgage
2.) Minimally invasive installation
3.) Highest quality SQ installation possible after 1 and 2 are satisfied

Equipment:
Tweeters – Dynaudio Esotar 110’s located in the door panels
Midranges – Dynaudio Esotar 430’s located in the door panels
Midbass – Dynaudio Esotar 650’s located in the door panels
Subwoofer – Image Dynamics IDQ V2 10” located in the dash
Center channel – Dynaudio component set installed in the factory 6x9 location in the dash
Amplifiers – Tru B475 (center and tweeters), Tru 4100 (mids and midbass), Tru 2110 (Subwoofer)
Processor – Arc Audio PS8
Preamp – Tru Line8
Deadening/Dampening - Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Luxury Liner, Overkill

Door panels:
The tweets, mids, and midbass will all be installed in the doors. The doors in this car extend very far forward and will allow me to put the speakers a good distance from the listener. The window cranks will be replaced with electric window motors, to give me space for the enclosures. The 430’s and 650’s will each have their own dedicated enclosures behind the door panel. The outer panel will be remade with ¾” or 1” MDF.

Subwoofer enclosure:
I will be removing the heater core, which will give me room to mount the subwoofer enclosure. The enclosure inside the car will be approximately .7 cubic feet. There is a large opening going into the engine bay where the fan motor and fan assembly mount. The motor and fan assembly will be removed and replaced with a bolt on cover. I will make 4 different covers. One will be flat (small enclosure), one will extend into the bay (large enclosure), one will have a Goretex membrane (aperiodic), and one will be opened with just some wire mesh (infinite baffle)

Center channel:
The car came with a 6x9 speaker mounted in the center of the dash as factory equipment. I will use this to mount a tweeter and midrange driver. If there is room I will seal the back of it from the cabin. I may not use it, but I am going to give myself the option of using a center channel.

Trunk:
The amplifiers, preamp, and processor will be mounted in the trunk. The trunk is currently painted metal. I will be painting it to match the silver color then adding deadening and trunk liner.

Step 1:
Strip out the interior
Step 2:
Deaden the heck out of the car
Step 3:
Run the wire and interconnects
Step 4:
Fabricate the center channel mounting
Step 5:
Fabricate the door enclosures and new door panel
Step 5
Fabricate the subwoofer enclosure and back plates
Step 6:
Deaden and carpet the trunk and mount amplifiers, preamp , and processor
Step 7:
Tuning

I will be starting on step 1 next week.
I will post the “before” pictures tonight when I get home.
Step 1 photos should be following in a few weeks.
SoCalSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 1957 Ford Fairlane - Dynaudio Esotar speakers / Tru amps /Arc processor

Love the car man, absolutely love the car!

kizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 vwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 1957 Ford Fairlane - Dynaudio Esotar speakers / Tru amps /Arc processor

dynaudio... wow looking forward to seeing this build
vwjmkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 perfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enough

isnt an old car like that going to produce a significant amount of road and engine noise? seems like a strange choice for such hi fi equipment

perfecxionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 so cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecxionx View Post
isnt an old car like that going to produce a significant amount of road and engine noise? seems like a strange choice for such hi fi equipment
^^Normally, yes. But he has a step #2.

Looking forward to this one. 12" in the dash?? Cool.
so cal eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 61 evangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enough

Looking forward to this one!
evangojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 badfish will become famous soon enoughbadfish will become famous soon enoughbadfish will become famous soon enoughbadfish will become famous soon enoughbadfish will become famous soon enoughbadfish will become famous soon enough

Cool Re: 1957 Ford Fairlane - Dynaudio Esotar speakers / Tru amps /Arc processor

Still think you should switch to models .......see you tomorrow
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 99 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Pics or it didn't happen

They did WHAT to that monkey?!?! -Anonymous
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 120 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
Pics or it didn't happen

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 194 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

^^^Exactly what I thought when I read the title.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 116 Se7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud of

Watching this one!

Back to stock
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Systems Unlimited
Position:
Owner, Janitor

Rep Power: 0 Seattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enough

Love the car and product choices. Looking forward to pics!

No advertising in your signature without upgrading your account
Seattle Esotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 194 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Am I the only one that didn't see a source listed?

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 127 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Love the equipment, love the car. Looking forward to pictures.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 104 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Am I the only one that didn't see a source listed?
Probably using the stock HU so it doesn't detract from the car. LOL

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 104 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSQ View Post
1957 Ford Fairlane Club Victoria SQ install build log

Installation goals:
1.) Be able to pay my mortgage
<snip>
Equipment:
Tweeters – Dynaudio Esotar 110’s located in the door panels
Midranges – Dynaudio Esotar 430’s located in the door panels
Midbass – Dynaudio Esotar 650’s located in the door panels
Subwoofer – Image Dynamics IDQ V2 10” located in the dash
Center channel – Dynaudio component set installed in the factory 6x9 location in the dash
Amplifiers – Tru B475 (center and tweeters), Tru 4100 (mids and midbass), Tru 2110 (Subwoofer)
Processor – Arc Audio PS8
Preamp – Tru Line8
Deadening/Dampening - Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Luxury Liner, Overkill
So pretty much shot that first goal all to hell, huh? hehehe

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 vwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
So pretty much shot that first goal all to hell, huh? hehehe

Jay
I think he meant bea able to pay a mortgage with the equipment in his car....
vwjmkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #18

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
MECA
Position:
Promoter

Rep Power: 76 SoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enoughSoCalSQ will become famous soon enough

Here are the before pics.

You can see the heater core that will be removed to fit the sub box.

The 3-way set up will barely fit in the front part of the door panel once I remove the window cranks.

Conveniently, there is enough room under the factory "center channel" mounting to put whatever I want in there with an enclosure.

The ridiculous amounts of Second Skin I will be applying will take care of road noise. The steel that was used to make these cars is also ridiculously strong. When you tap the doors they actually sound like they have deadening on them without having any. The only real noise problem will be the solid lifter motor (which sounds like a diesel) and the exhaust, which sound like a lopey drag boat. The surefire cure for these is copious amounts of volume.

The source unit will be an Alpine 9990, once I find one and sell my Clarion DRZ, but since im not upgraded I cant modify my original post.

The cable and dampening should arrive this week then its time to get going.

I recently found out that the front bench seat is original and worth about $1000, so I may sell it and replace it with something that slides further back, rather than modifying this one . . .still debating that. That $1000 will buy a lot of audio equipment, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00713.JPG (154.0 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00710.JPG (151.0 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00719.JPG (153.5 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00721.JPG (155.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00716.JPG (154.0 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by SoCalSQ; 06-18-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-18-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
MECA
Position:
Promoter

Here are pics of the heater fan and motor assembly, which will be removed and replaced with my sub enclosure back plates.

Also some pics of where we hide the bodies. I'm figuring 4 old school style or 8 if we cut them up.

Here is a close-up of the 6x9 center channel grill. I will have 2 grills, the original one for hot rod shows and one with grill-cloth for every thing else. As you can see, it has a pretty awesome sound system in it now . . . . . .

On a side note: Damn Andrew Dice Clay for his association with my car!!!

So . . .Jack and Jill go up the hill . . .lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120618_094921.jpg (51.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 06-18-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough

pssst...there's an SBC in that Ford

subscribed
85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 estione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enoughestione will become famous soon enough

I've just fell in love..............
estione is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
MECA
Position:
Promoter

The small block chevy will shortly be replaced with a 351W and C6.
The chevy motor has a dart block, air research heads, forged manley internals, stud girdles, roller rockers, Edelbrock intake/carb, MSD ignition, etc. so although it is a Chevy . . . .at least it's a badass Chevy. The R700 4 is also built up so it will be a nice setup for someone. The 4.11's in the 9" rear end will stay.

I am building a 351W in my garage. Once it's ready to go in I will start taking offers on the drivetrain from people who like their distributors where its a total pain in the ass to get to.
Old 06-18-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 127 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The small block chevy will shortly be replaced with a 351W and C6.
The chevy motor has a dart block, air research heads, forged manley internals, stud girdles, roller rockers, Edelbrock intake/carb, MSD ignition, etc. so although it is a Chevy . . . .at least it's a badass Chevy. The R700 4 is also built up so it will be a nice setup for someone. The 4.11's in the 9" rear end will stay.

I am building a 351W in my garage. Once it's ready to go in I will start taking offers on the drivetrain from people who like their distributors where its a total pain in the ass to get to.
Have you purchased the Windsor yet? I know where there's an original 351C out of a Pantera around here. I drove the car for a couple weeks before it was pulled so I know it was perfectly fine with under 40,000 miles. I'm personally a fan of a modern EFI engine with an OD transmission in old cars something like an '03 or '04 Cobra engine in that hot rod would be awesome but I guess that depends on the intended usage as well. No matter what you do it looks like a really fun build.

BTW, I've found 3" diameter thick wall stainless exhaust piping greatly cuts down on in car exhaust noise, more than any sound deadening will. If you can locate the mufflers to the rear of the car, it helps tremendously. If you want to get really clever, you can use a different length muffler from side to side to basically make the exhaust out of phase and you will have zero drone but it takes experimenting. A turbo also makes a great muffler. Some of the exhaust tricks might be worth it when you consider the benefits and the cost of sound deadening.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 06-18-2012   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough85C10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am building a 351W in my garage.
Nice. An extra ~1/2" of deck height (compared to SBC) lends itself well to strokers. When gathering parts keep in mind how nicely "it's a 427" rolls of the tongue.
85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85C10 View Post
Nice. An extra ~1/2" of deck height (compared to SBC) lends itself well to strokers. When gathering parts keep in mind how nicely "it's a 427" rolls of the tongue.
427 "sock" now that sounds good..... not practical but it sounds good.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.