Old 07-03-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 102 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Default My 2012 Kia Rio 5 Audio Build

Back in April, I traded in my 2010 Genesis Coupe for a 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX. More room, better gas mileage, more features I'll actually use, more comfortable seats, lower payment.

I got it on 4/4/12. The Genesis (5 days from being 3 years old had almost 72k miles on it). Here's what it looked like after I took the pinstripe off.

This started on may 1, 2012:

Tint: 30% all around, 40% on the windshield.

Then I rolled it over to Discount Tire where a friend of mine works to pick up my new wheels and tires. Drag DR-23 (Spoon 388/Rota Slipstream replicas) in 16x7, flat black with 205/50/16 Nitto Neo Gens.

Then over to Jasper's house to vinyl wrap the roof.

Wrapped (including the rear hatch spoiler, to the body line)

more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 71 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

Oh, I like the vinyl on the roof!!

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 102 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My 2012 Kia Rio 5 Audio Build

Then I wrapped the tops of the mirrors, chrome around the grills, chrome around the foglights, tinted the foglights yellow, and changed the emblems to Kadenza emblems.

StreetKiaz Michigan Chapter sticker:

Before:

After:

Now, the outside is almost done. I plan to have our tinter do my tail lights. Next summer I plan to do coilovers (I have a lot of stuff to pay down first, and I haven't found a set of coilovers stateside that I want yet.)

I never could afford to do anything to make the Genesis Coupe "my own," so I did that first on this car.

Next up: Audio Plans

Jay

Quote:
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
Old 07-03-2012   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Rep Power: 62 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Next up: Audio Plans

Jay
Looking good. I'm in.

2013 MECA Modified CA State Runner Up
2009 Civic SI Sedan Build Log
Team West Coast Audiophiles
papasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

My first thoughts upon seeing the dash of the new Rio was "GalaxyTab 8.9!"
But since I ended up getting a car with more options than I had planned, it came with the UVO system. That has a backup camera, SiriusXM, a hard drive, USB, iPod, and Zune control, aux in and voice activation. After using it, I think I'll keep it. It also does BT hands free and streaming, which I now use frequently.

That will probably pass signal to my BitOne.1, which I already have. I was thinking of switching to the Mosconi 6to8, but I already have it and it works and will do what I need it to...plus it already has Optical input in case I go to a tablet later.

Signal will then pass on to a trio of Sony Mobile ES amps (circa 1996).
An XM-5046 will run my Vifa Ring Radiators and Tang band W3 bamboo's, which I will mold into the a-pillars. (50W apiece or so...the TB's are 8ohm)

An XM-2100g will run the 7" Dayton RS-180's (100W apiece) in the doors for midbass.

Another XM-2100g will be bridged to 2 ohms to run an Arc Black 10. I already have a Dayton 10" HO, but the port makes it difficult to build in where I want it, and it's a single 4 ohm VC. At 2 ohm mono, I'm told the 2100g puts out a little over 400 watts.

Sub box and amp rack will go in the spare tire well. The car didn't come with a spare, so no loss there.

I had planned on doing a nice, simple setup, with a nice trim panel on top, but then Bing had to go and build that Genesis Sedan with EVERYTHING finished on both sides, so now I have to step *MY* game up! LOL

I have a few things to pick up to finish my parts collection, then I will take my vacation and do the fabrication. Expect that sometime around early to mid August.

Jay

Quote:

Last edited by JayinMI; 07-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Switched coupe to sedan.
Old 07-03-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin76 View Post
Oh, I like the vinyl on the roof!!
Thanks! That was my first time doing vinyl. It's not perfect, but I seem to be the only one who notices. I figured if I hated it enough, I'd redo it next summer.

I've probably got less than $200 in vinyl and it makes a pretty drastic change to a fairly plain car.

I get nearly as many comments, looks and compliments as I did with the Genesis coupe.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Sith Lord

Rep Power: 38 DRTHJTA will become famous soon enoughDRTHJTA will become famous soon enoughDRTHJTA will become famous soon enoughDRTHJTA will become famous soon enoughDRTHJTA will become famous soon enoughDRTHJTA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
Looking good. I'm in.
Count me in too...

DRTHJTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
Looking good. I'm in.
This will be a budget undertaking. If (for some reason) I decide not to do the Arc Black sub, I may do an RE SE10, ported. I'm pretty impressed with those subs too, and I know I could get it cheap and we stock it.

I'm trying to find a source for the base model a-pillars (that don't have tweeters molded in at eye level) that isn't $70/ea...since I found them on a site for $16 ea but can't seem to verify they are the same parts I need.

This WILL be "done" this time. I swear it. LOL

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTHJTA View Post
Count me in too...
Thanks.

My 4 channel is supposed to be here on Thursday.

I need to bench test all the amps, and I may recap them to be on the safe side....they are all like 7-8/10 condition and might need a little touch up. I was thinking of having the heat sinks powdercoated flat black and re silkscreened in silver, charcoal gray or gloss black...but that may come later since I have no idea how much that might run me.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Gratuitous shot of the whole car, in front of (oddly enough) the "Church" of Scientology (Grand Blanc, MI) LOL

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Rep Power: 62 papasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enoughpapasin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I had planned on doing a nice, simple setup, with a nice trim panel on top, but then Bing had to go and build that Genesis Coupe with EVERYTHING finished on both sides, so now I have to step *MY* game up! LOL
I assume you mean the Genesis sedan. If so, I was parked next to that car during last weekend's meet. Looks better in person, but definitely not a budget build so not a fair comparison. But seeing your work on that VW, you have nothing to worry about .

Old 07-03-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Thanks.

I'd love to be able to afford to do something flashy that totally negates the usefulness of a car ( ), but this is my daily. It's been a long time since I've had an "extra" car.

And my comment above is not directed at that Genesis at ALL. I love that thing. When I win the lottery, a Genesis Sedan R-spec might be in my future. LOL. But flashy is what gets installers noticed most.

Maybe someday I'll buy another Neon and gut the interior and do something nuts.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

I like the first pic on top! Cool little car! I've been looking at Rios since they get killer mileage and come with an awesome warranty. I used to have a Spectra and absolutely loved it. How much did you pay for it? I want the exact car... color and all.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

It stickered at something like $18,500, the dealer came down to about $17,600 and I lost my ass on my trade in. LOL.

It's a Clear White 2012 Rio EX Hatchback with the Convenience Package.

It's the only car I drove that had rear disc brakes. The only thing I've found I miss from the Genesis Coupe is the Auto up/down passenger window. LOL

Probably the best electric assist power steering I've driven.

I am impressed with it, and I can't wait to get the audio done in it.

It's rated at 30/40 and I typically get 33 (avg, w A/C on) or 35.5 (avg, no ac) in mostly hwy driving. Of course I drive about 80 on the freeway so I don't expect to get 40, tho I did on one tank where I drove 65 on the freeway just to see if I could get to 40mpg.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough

Love this car / love the lines / love all the equipment per dollar etc...

Its a very hard to beat car in its market.

If they had been on dealer lots when my GF got her 2012 Accent sedan I would have insisted on this instead (but they only arrived about 3 months after she had her Accent)

Can't wait to see what you do with it / loved the work in your Neon and the Gen Coupe.

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks.

Maybe someday I'll buy another Neon and gut the interior and do something nuts.

Jay
Do it! Found some more room in mine for some new crazy ideas, I'll update my log after I recover from surgury.

Car looks good though, nice daily.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Do it! Found some more room in mine for some new crazy ideas, I'll update my log after I recover from surgury.

Car looks good though, nice daily.
Hope the surgery goes OK. What are you having done?
I'll look forward to updates on your car.

Thanks. I like it.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

I've been searching for 8th gen civic sedan and honda fit pillar builds. Since they both have a small window in front of the mirrors. Seems like all of the builds that apply have had the pictures removed! LOL Figures.

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of light

Fissurectomy. Had it yesturday, two weeks off. Not as bad as I expected, but the injury first happened last august, I always just thought it would go away.

On that note, make sure you never get dehydrated while eating like crap while out of town. Doctor said thats the most common way to need one of these surguries.

Old 07-03-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Fissurectomy. Had it yesturday, two weeks off. Not as bad as I expected, but the injury first happened last august, I always just thought it would go away.

On that note, make sure you never get dehydrated while eating like crap while out of town. Doctor said thats the most common way to need one of these surguries.
Don't worry, I only get dehydrated and eat like crap in town...when I go out of town I eat better and stay inside. LOL

Glad everything went ok.

Jay

PS. I just googled "fissurectomy," totally NOT what I expected. Hope you feel better, man.

Quote:
Old 07-03-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Lol, I'm just glad I'm in the US. In England, they do something called the "Lord's Procedure". Much, much worse.

So far, have had 3 surguries. Broken arm at 6 years old, shattered ankle at 18, and this one at 28. This one was by far the easiest, 30 minutes, out for an hour and a half, no nausea upon waking up, and woke right up.

Last edited by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL; 07-03-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Old 07-03-2012   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've been searching for 8th gen civic sedan and honda fit pillar builds. Since they both have a small window in front of the mirrors. Seems like all of the builds that apply have had the pictures removed! LOL Figures.

Jay
the yaris has the sail windows too, maybe you can find some builds with those also.
nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:

Jay
My pics are still there...although the pods were done by bikinpunk as I understand.

First SQ Install, 2009 Honda Civic SI Sedan Redline Orange Pearl

I've since cut angled rings for them, so they aren't pointing directly onto the dash. A few folks were able to listen to the car at Bing's meet this weekend, and seem to think overall it isn't too shabby .

Old 07-04-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

I actually missed that part of your thread, and when I was searching on the first page you talked about wanting it to be "stealth, using all stock locations" (IIRC) so I moved on...my bad.

I remember reading your thread at one point, and catching all the comments from the recent meet, but somehow missed the middle. Very nice job. I'd like to try the Audible Physics stuff, but it's just not in my price range. I'd love to try HAT too, but alas, also out of my price range.

I'm not necessarily looking to use the area where the little windows are, but was more looking to see how people dealt with them.

For those guys razzing you about only having 1 10 in your car, I did a single RE SXX10 ported, tuned to about 35Hz (per RE's recommendation) that was down firing and used the air space under the driver's side rear seat, and between the seat and back of the center console. It was powered by an Alpine PDX-M12. OMG! Litterally sounded (and hit like) 2 decent 12's. It was in a Lincoln Mark LT. So, as men like to tell women, Size doesn't matter, it's all in how you implement it (or something like that. lol)

Jay

Quote:
Old 07-04-2012   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Richard

Quote:
I actually missed that part of your thread, and when I was searching on the first page you talked about wanting it to be "stealth, using all stock locations" (IIRC) so I moved on...my bad.
No worries, my build has evolved as probably many have on here so not out of the ordinary to miss . Still fairly stealthy if I do say so myself. IIRC, a couple during the meet wondered where the speakers were located (I currently have speaker grill cloth covering the pods).

Quote:
I'd like to try the Audible Physics stuff, but it's just not in my price range. I'd love to try HAT too, but alas, also out of my price range.

I'm not necessarily looking to use the area where the little windows are, but was more looking to see how people dealt with them.
The AP drivers are hard to come by, was lucky enough to pick mine up in the Classified section. Yep wouldn't call them cheap, but did get them well below MSRP (nearly 50% IIRC) BNIB, so was happy with that .

Not sure if the TB you are thinking about are like the AP drivers, but while the AP drivers would work fine IB, I read that they work quite nicely in a small sealed enclosure, and when I measured the volume of the window area, just was about what it called for. Be interested to see what you come up with.

Quote:
For those guys razzing you about only having 1 10 in your car, I did a single RE SXX10 ported, tuned to about 35Hz (per RE's recommendation) that was down firing and used the air space under the driver's side rear seat, and between the seat and back of the center console. It was powered by an Alpine PDX-M12. OMG! Litterally sounded (and hit like) 2 decent 12's. It was in a Lincoln Mark LT. So, as men like to tell women, Size doesn't matter, it's all in how you implement it (or something like that. lol)

Jay
My build is just a single JL 10w3v3 sealed though, powered by a bridge set of channels of the PPI900.4 (getting 450W RMS). I do have though the stock sub on the rear deck removed acting as a "port" of sorts to let the sub-bass vent into the cabin. I've always thought it was fine. JT thought it was plenty, and BigRed even recommended I turn down 40Hz by 3.5dB after the MS-8 auto-tune. That's how I have it set now, and will have to listen with that set for a bit more and will post my impressions over in my thread after a little time.

I totally hear ya though. If I've learned anything, "install, install, install". I know having great hardware is nice, but I'll take a great install over expensive equipment any day. Of course, I'll take a great install with great equipment if my budget can afford it .