2013 Subaru BRZ Build Log - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 156 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Default 2013 Subaru BRZ Build Log

I tend to be very wordy, and this Build log won't disappoint.

I have been 'obsessing' about this Car since Ryan told me about it - probably December or January of this year. I thought after my 2002 BMW, I would naturally buy another BMW. I was looking at the 135i and the new Z4 coupe, but both of these cars present significant challenges for mobile audio – would take significant custom installation to get the system in the way I would want it.

Once I really started looking at the BRZ – I really liked the way the Car looked, and I liked the platform for my Stereo install. I know many have made the comments on the BRZ forums and on this forum that it is a joke to be called a ‘sports car’ with only 200 horse power, but for me 1) it looks like a sports car 2) feels like a sports car in the cockpit 3) handles like a sports car 4) and it has plenty of Power ----a sports car in my book – the only one that has to be happy with it.

This is my first new car, so it was a bit of a big deal. A few pics from the dealer when he got it in, and some pics when I picked it up.

The sales guy sent me a video of the odometer reading 8 miles.

The Day the wife and I picked up the car

Sitting at the 'signing' table

A few interior shots:

After tinting

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 09:06 PM..
bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 156 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 2013 Subaru BRZ Build Log

Now, to the install....

2013 Subaru BRZ: audio Installation
• September 24, 2012 – September 30, 2012
• Mark Brooks

Goals:
• Clean and Stealthy
• Usability of trunk
• Rattle Free
• Sound quality on par with the BMW if not better

PRESS FIT EVERYTHING!
(I was instructed to make sure this is clearly stated)

Major Sections of Install:
• Head Unit
• Dash Speakers
• Mid bass drivers
• Amplifiers
• Processor
• 6to8 Controller
• Wiring
• Deadening

Rough Chronology:
• Listen to BMW for reference
• De-Install BMW
• Pull BRZ HU – check engine lights, etc.
• Measure up subs, amps
• Final decision on kicks vs doors
• Gut BRZ – prepare for deadener / wiring
• Wiring – power, rca, speaker
• Deadener
• Speaker install – dash / mid bass
• Amp Install
• Subs
• Tune

Equipment:
• Pioneer P99RS
• Mosconi 6to8 + Controller
• Mosconi 200.4, 100.4 (2)
• Morel MT23 Tweeters
• Audible Physics XR3M or Nz3 or X4Soul
• Audible Physics Arian 6.5” drivers
• Audison distribution block
• RCAs, Power Wire, Speaker Wire, Fan, Relay, Deadener

Some pics of measuring the available space:

The suitcase is a requirement - will need to drive this Car to the airport.....

A table full of gear

Wires

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-08-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Additional shots of the 'gutting' (or de-installing)

Not a great shot, but 0 gauge Wire through the firewall

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-08-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

More wiring shots - this is at the beginning of the week

Into the doors

Into the dash

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 07:55 PM..
Old 10-08-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

The Head Unit - I was running close to the Wire on getting a kit for this Car prior to the Build starting - I really wanted a custom look, and Mark delivered! I was extremely impressed with how this came out.

Speakers

I was trying to decide between the XR3M's, the NZ's, and the X4's - I really love the sound of the XR's, and it really depended on what would fit. As it turned out - the XRs would fit - 'barely'....there was really no way the X4's were going to fit without some serious cuttin'.

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 10-08-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Dash speakers continued

Door speakers were the 6.5" Arian drivers. Mike told me the corian baffles were the bomb, but he was later accused of sabotage....jk They took a long time to cut, lots of itchy dust, and foul language

Well....after they cracked when putting in screws.....we went with Mark's first choice....birch ply

Last edited by bertholomey; 10-08-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Old 10-08-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 150 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Subscribed

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

you know after a day or two you cant edit posts, right? either way.. SUB"D!!!

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 tintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enough

I'm in.
tintbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

The next day saw the beginning of the IB baffle. Pretty challenging in this small car. The 'wall' had to be built inside the car, and it had to be able to be removed some day (didn't really want to have it completely glued in). The wall was made with birch ply, and we went with one layer due to space constraints.

And of course - it had to be carpeted within the car...not real fun......

Old 10-08-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Subscribed! You're using the same frontstage drivers as me. The XR3m is a fantastic driver! But I don't need to tell you that. I also ran the Morel MT23 with it myself but decided that I liked the XR3m alone on my mid/highs... It just sounded cleaner. You're doing a great job so far! I'll be getting a new subaru Outback or Legacy for my upcoming build... I hope to get some ideas from this build. I can't wait to hear your impressions of the Arians! Your post that you wrote when you first got the XR3m drivers is what talked me into trying them! LOVE EM!

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

With the subs in....I had an extremely fortunate thing happen.....I spoke to my friend Webster who offered up his awesome pair of AA subs - lovingly modded to run IB. It took something very special to make me leave my frankensub that I have enjoyed for the past several years. I have always wanted to run dual subs, and I finally got my chance. I am extremely impressed with these subs - with a solid baffle, 4 ohm final load, and 90+ sensitivity.....they do well!

Painting the magnets....

Removing the rear deck turned into a real PITA - the plastic pieces that need to be removed to get to the deck didn't want to play along. Thanks to Subimax, we knew that we would get rattles if we didn't do something about this area now.

Old 10-08-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Trunk build. 10 pounds of 'stuff' in a 5 pound sack.....I know that 20" + amps aren't typically put in small cars like this, but there isn't but a very few other amps I would consider other than these Mosconis. Mark had to get 3 amps, a distro block, a processor, and a fan in the tire well. I'm looking to replace those AQ RCAs with something shorter.

The 6to8 controller...I was really looking forward to using this piece. It was a challenge to get it to me, and it turned out to be a bit bigger than we had expected. The deal breaker for me was that it didn't seem to want to work with the bluetooth dongle installed. I need to use the bluetooth to tune, and I am not going to install the dongle every time I want to tune......something about that word dongle.....

Never got a pic of the controller lit up.

Old 10-08-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

The tweets were installed in the pillars. The original idea was to put them in the dash next to the 3's, but the only space really available was where the stock tweet was installed.....that could possibly seriously narrow the stage. Mark installed the Morel tweeters using the supplied hardware.

Here are some 'Final' pics

....and a shout out to Ryan with the excellent spray wash to keep things clean.

Old 10-08-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 The A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to The A Train

"Subbed"
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 144 SteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enough

Loving this Build brudda!
looking forward to hearing this after you get it dialed in
SteveH! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

So to wrap things up.....

I had finally got my '02 BMW 325i sounding exactly how I wanted, and then we ripped it apart. So I had Mark install the same gear (except the subs), and since we ran out of time at the end of the Build to do any tuning except for Time Alignment, the tune is exactly the same as what was in the BMW.

It sounds better already. The drivers are mounted more solidly, the wiring is direct (not the splices that were needed in the BMW), and the driver locations have some inherent advantages.

The staging is very wide, deep with good layering, height is midway up the windshield, and the bass is solid - the dual subs play low and loud - effortlessly. I'm really looking forward to a few tuning sessions to get this to a level that I never experienced before - even as much as I liked the sound in the BMW.

Old 10-08-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Fire Hazard

Rep Power: 88 decibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enough

Looks great Jason. I call dibs on being one of the first to listen at the meet this fall.
decibelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
Subscribed! You're using the same frontstage drivers as me. The XR3m is a fantastic driver! But I don't need to tell you that. I also ran the Morel MT23 with it myself but decided that I liked the XR3m alone on my mid/highs... It just sounded cleaner. You're doing a great job so far! I'll be getting a new subaru Outback or Legacy for my upcoming build... I hope to get some ideas from this build. I can't wait to hear your impressions of the Arians! Your post that you wrote when you first got the XR3m drivers is what talked me into trying them! LOVE EM!
Thanks!!!

I'm a big fan of the Arians....but of course you all know I would say that.....but I was using some solid drivers (Seas Lotus Reference 6.5's). I feel that the Arians provide greater resolution, accuracy, and 'weight' to the bass frequencies.

Old 10-08-2012   #20

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 590 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Ripping apart a brand new car...I love it!

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post
Thanks!!!

I'm a big fan of the Arians....but of course you all know I would say that.....but I was using some solid drivers (Seas Lotus Reference 6.5's). I feel that the Arians provide greater resolution, accuracy, and 'weight' to the bass frequencies.
I'm glad you like them! Can't wait to install mine. I'll be replacing Dynaudio MW160 drivers with the Arians... I'm optimistic.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Nice install, so this was the one Mark was working on... I have some 3" drivers coming from him for the dash of my FR-S myself. My system isn't nearly as nice as yours i'm just replacing the 6.5's and 3's and i added the JBL MSBassPro SQ.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 128 nepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enough

Great looking car!!! I like a lot more than the Scion version...very clean install!

2005 BMW 530i- Dynaudio Esotar2 110,430,650,1200s
Brax Matrix MX4s/Ixos/Straightwire
2000 Honda Prelude- Daily Driver..Stock for now.
nepl29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 1000 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
Ripping apart a brand new car...I love it!
Hey, the best time to break stuff for the Car is when it is brand new versus being 10+ years old with plastic parts that are nearly impossible to find.

I know on my WRX that certain plastic pieces are single use items only.

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 152 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

Oh snap thats some nice work and on a new ride,WICKED!
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement