SkizeR's 1990 Nissan 300zx ground-up build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Default SkizeR's 1990 Nissan 300zx ground-up build

Well, ive been planning and talking about this for a while now and cant believe its here. My Build log.

*First off i want to thank everyone on this forum. I would not be where i am now without you guys. All the help and support is/was much needed.*

My main goal for right now is to have it done by April 20th so i can take it to the competition in Syracuse. Im pretty much doing this single-handedly with some help every now and then by my good friend Mattei.

Now for the fun stuff.
hey i was wondering if you can help me out and edit the first post in my Build log and change my equipment list to this...

Now for the fun stuff.
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx N/A (twin turbo swap going in after build is finished)
Source Unit: Pioneer DEX-P99RS
Tweeters: Scan-Speak Revelator R2904
Mid Range: Scan Speak Illuminator 15wu
Mid Bass: Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r's
Subs: (2) Morel Ultimo 12's and (1) DIYMA R12
Sub Amp: AudioQue 2200D and Zapco DC 750.2
Mid Bass Amp: (2) Zapco DC 500.1
Mid Range Amp: Zapco DC 360.4
Tweeter Amp: Zapco DC 350.2
Amp control: Zapco DRC-SL
Sound Deadening: AlphaDamp and STP provided by Greg at South East Customs. Big thanks to him for the help.

First some pics of the car..

To start it off i wanted to keep the p99 completely scratch free as ive somehow managed to do with my CDA-117 in my daily car. This time, being careful around it wasnt enough, so i made my own screen protector out of an Invisishield by Zagg for an iPad.

Cant even see it!

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log

Last edited by Darth SQ; 07-13-2013 at 05:44 PM..
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: SkizeR's 1990 Nissan 300zx ground-up build

Well the first somewhat warm day came along the other week so i decided to head to my neighbors to where it was parked for a few days to work on it. Since it was at their house and didnt want to do anything to serious, i just got the trunk cleaned up and some panels removed.

Door card removed revealing 23 year old speakers. These things were so shot, that the surround has completely dried up and flaked off.

Took off some of the panels in the trunk and couldn't believe the amount of dirt under there. A lot of it looks like rust, but its not.. thats allllll dirt besides on the spare tire which left some on the spare well but that scraped off very easily.

Plastic moisture barrier and stock Speaker baffle removed. Same with passenger seat.

Looks like the Anarchys will have plenty of room back there

That was it for this day.

1990 300zx Build Log

Last edited by SkizeR; 04-01-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Old 04-01-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Next up... DASH REMOVAL!

Those are the only pics i have of the removal process. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be and only took me about 20 minutes. That was it for that day..

Heres a few accessories for her. Everything will be fed by 2 XS Power D1200 and a Tenney 170 Amp alternator (still waiting for it in the mail). Some wheel Spacers, and some seats my friend gave me since mine were really old and the leather was all cracked, and an NRG steering wheel with a quick release.

1990 300zx Build Log

Old 04-02-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

As you can kinda see in the steering wheel pics, i finally got it moved to my house. Both good and bad. Good thats its not a half mile away and in my neighbors driveway, and bad because this is now my work area for the next few weeks...

yeah, fuck my life. About 2 feet of clearance on each side at most.

At least i got a present waiting for me on the driveway the next day. Big delivery of sound deadener from Greg at South East Customz.

Thats 15 sheets of STP SPL04, 9 sheets of STP SPL08, and 2 sheets of STP AK10.

Heres the beginning of deadening. I started with the trunk. (Sorry for the crappy pic. Its the only one i took of the trunk at this stage and more deadener has been added since)

Started deadening some of the floor.

Some of the passenger door. More deadener has actually been added after i took this pic..

Deadening has been taking me sooo long because of one thing, this..
Under the carpets theres a layer of insulation that has over time, got stuck in the stock deadening (which is everywhere) and i had to scrape off every last piece so the alpha damp will stick.

Started laying down some of the STP SPL 04.. this is only 1 sheet!

After that, went up for dinner and found these animals waiting for me...

Gotta thank this lady. My mother who has been putting up with this crap cluttering her basement and garage..

Mattei draining the radiator so we can remove the heating and ac units under the dash so we can deaden the firewall.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

On to the drivers side..

outer door skin

AlphaDamp B-Stock... this shit is THICK

1990 300zx Build Log

Last edited by SkizeR; 04-02-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Old 04-02-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 132 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

I'm sorry to interrupt but this is going to be outstanding.

I love Z cars

I like building stuff. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it.
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
I'm sorry to interrupt but this is going to be outstanding.

I love Z cars
THANKS! I love them as well. Theres nothing else on the road like them.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 iMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enough

Your Build is looking good. The "Amp" you just pulled is the fuel pump controller though. PUT IT BACK!!!!
iMpLiKaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMpLiKaTioN View Post
Your Build is looking good. The "Amp" you just pulled is the fuel pump controller though. PUT IT BACK!!!!
god damn it your right hahaha. my friend pointed it out and was like "oh, no need for that anymore". thank god i didnt throw it out. Thanks for the help

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MajesticLT03 will become famous soon enoughMajesticLT03 will become famous soon enoughMajesticLT03 will become famous soon enoughMajesticLT03 will become famous soon enoughMajesticLT03 will become famous soon enoughMajesticLT03 will become famous soon enough

looks like a great start..

may I ask how much all that deadener was??

I need to deaden the crap out of my Impala
MajesticLT03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticLT03 View Post
looks like a great start..

may I ask how much all that deadener was??

I need to deaden the crap out of my Impala
PM sent

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 97 shawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enough

Sharp ride man. I've always liked the 300z's!

Looking foward to seeing this Build unfold!

shawnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnk View Post
Sharp ride man. I've always liked the 300z's!

Looking foward to seeing this Build unfold!
thanks! coming from the guy with my favorite Build on the forum means at lot haha

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 iMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enoughiMpLiKaTioN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
god damn it your right hahaha. my friend pointed it out and was like "oh, no need for that anymore". thank god i didnt throw it out. Thanks for the help
Haha no problem. Good thing I have a 300zx and decided to browse the forums today!
iMpLiKaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

Following b/c it's a Z32. Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94VG30DE View Post
Following b/c it's a Z32. Like a boss
i knew you would haha

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 113 pickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enough

I'm in to see the Speaker placement...
pickup1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickup1 View Post
I'm in to see the Speaker placement...
il send some leftover deadener to whoever can guess each drivers placement (including subs)

GO!

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #19

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 113 pickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enough

Pillars/kicks/doors..
pickup1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 101 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

Sub - trunk
Pillars/dash - mids tweets
Kicks - mid bass

Bout time you got this going.. Looking forward to the finished product

The Build - Version 2 - Wiring by Stinger (power & speaker), Audison (block) and WestCo (Custom Interconnects)
Thunderplains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

EF-5

Rep Power: 87 decibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enough

This Build reminds me of (especially) the early days of my own, except with a lot less screwing up.

Sub'd Sweet ride, btw.
decibelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerlyte View Post
This Build reminds me of (especially) the early days of my own, except with a lot less screwing up.

Sub'd Sweet ride, btw.
oh dont you worry.. theres been plenty of screwing up.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #23

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 RNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enough

Good stuff, nice work!! While you have the inner doors exposed, might hit the bottoms and areas where water runs and moisture might sit with some rubberized coating/sealer. Serves as a dual purpose. Cars surprisingly in great shape for 23yrs old.

System 1 of 3: Amptech Alt, Stealth reg, Alpine IVA-C800, DVA-5205, CHA-S604, MB-Quart Premium-316, Mcintosh MCC443m, MCC427, Audio Control DQXS, Epi, ESP-2, Kicker XPL 12's.
RNBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post
Sub - trunk
Pillars/dash - mids tweets
Kicks - mid bass

Bout time you got this going.. Looking forward to the finished product
Yeah i know. I never had a Car worthy of this system. Now that i finally have something decent, the madness begins

Oh and nopeee.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 04-02-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNBRAD View Post
Good stuff, nice work!! While you have the inner doors exposed, might hit the bottoms and areas where water runs and moisture might sit with some rubberized coating/sealer. Serves as a dual purpose. Cars surprisingly in great shape for 23yrs old.
Looks better in the pictures but thanks. And good idea. I actually have some rubberized coating in the garage/workshop/install bay/tiniest working space ever -_- lol

1990 300zx Build Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement