Quick Log: 2001 Mercedes E320 go boom boom boom! :) Arc Audio, ID - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default Quick Log: 2001 Mercedes E320 go boom boom boom! :) Arc Audio, ID

If you saw the other post by JOey, this is the E320 he was referring to

So for the longest time, I kinda stayed away from SPL setups, my knowledge of advanced box enclosure design is limited, and I guess i also had a reputation as someone who tend to focus on more SQ than SPL, and as a result, that pre-selected my clients for me.

But with the arrival of bass master flex from FLORIDA! that is all about to change.

This is a very quick and simple build log to show case Joey's abilities. I did the front stage, while he took care of the rest.

Goals:

1. One word: BASS! The customer wanted as much low frequency output as possible. he didnt want a one-note wonder box, but rather something that can still sound decent turned down but move a lot of air when cranked.

2. have a front stage that can keep up with the sub system

3. do it all on a somewhat reasonable budget (considering the subs and amp alone are quite expensive)

thats it... He gave us the ENTIRE trunk to play with, no need for stealth and no need for a lot of customization.

In other words...for more shops this would be the customer you build a big ole ported enclosure for and sit the amps on the box and call it a day...but as you will see, we did take it a step or so further on the finishing end

lets get started as this will be very quick.

the headunit was a pioneer 7500S single din unit, installed in the stock location. For some reason neither Joey nor I took a picture of the finished product, so here is a shot of the wiring behind the unit lol

To get a nice amount of output within the budget, we went with a set of Arc Audio ARC series 6.5" two way components. first new wires were run into the doors:

and the door was sound proofed:

The OEM speaker mounting baffle is actually almost a perfect fit for the Arc midbass, so i laid some sound proofing in it and secured the speaker to it and then the whole baffle to the door using OEM hardware:

the procedure was then repeated for the passenger side:

The ARC tweeters were mounted to the stock mid location on top of the dash, we modified two illusion audio tweeter mount bridges to fit the arc tweeter, and painted the brackets black so they wouldnt show through the speaker grille, and then secure the tweeters to the opening:

I also forgot to take any pics of the wiring this time around lol oops

the main factory battery is located under the rear seat cushion, so Joey fabricated a metal bracket that holds a stinger fuse holder:

so thats it for the interior, we also removed the rear deck speakers, trimmed some of the foam so there was as much free air passing through the rear deck as possible.

Moving onto the trunk. As mentioned, the customer prolly did not expect much more than a simple clean box taking up most of the trunk with the amps mounted to them...in some sense, thats exactly what he got but we did add some extra touches and here is the result:

two Image Dynamics IDMAX12 subs sits in a 3.7cubfeet ported enclosure tuned to 35hz, big thanks here goes to Ray West for coming up with the design. the entire box has a nice vinyl trimmed front fascia, with the two slot ports bracketing the subs. there is also a carpeted trmi panel that goes the width of the trunk. Two arc audio amps sits ontop of the box a KS300.2 sends 180 to the front stage, while the huge KS2500.1 powers the two idmaxes with 2500 watts RMS. Joey took the logo plates off the Arc amps and molded one of them at a slight angle on the enclosure to provide that extra touch

here are some build pics of the enclosure.

these are the pieces that make up this boxes, the parts that are painted black are the inside walls of the ports, so they wont look unfinished in bare wood:

here is the test fitting of the two idmax subs:

here are shots of the box as it is being built, wit internal bracing and a good view of the ports:

here is the box in the trunk and the trim pieces being built:

and here is one of the trim pieces being blended into the main panel, using Sonus Audio Matter filler, note the built in guide coat which really helps during hte sanding process, telling you where you havent hit yet and needs perhaps more sanding or filler

so here is the whole shebang before upholstery:

a slew of rivet nuts on the main floor allows the enclosure to be solidly secured via bolts. while T nuts mounted to the inside of the box allows the subs to be bolted in securely

and finally, how we soldered all the speaker wires together for the subs four voice coils.

No wiring pics either as the amps are just on top of the box and is virtually impossible to take a good picture of

so...how does it sound? I can tell you for sure that this is by far the loudest car ever to come out of a business called Simplicity in Sound...

keeping in mind that a E320 is hardly the best SPL platform, the amount of air moving inside t he car is pretty staggering...i am estimating well into the 140s, maybe even mid to high 140s? The arc 6.2 does a pretty good job of keeping up with it all as well.

Here is a video joey shot of the car when a bass song is playing...what you DONT see is me in the office 20 feet away trying to steady the things rattling on my desk

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

okay, so thats it, now back to your regularly scheduled programming

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013   #2

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Reliable Product Marketing
Position:
Sales Rep

Rep Power: 99 pdqwrx will become famous soon enoughpdqwrx will become famous soon enoughpdqwrx will become famous soon enoughpdqwrx will become famous soon enoughpdqwrx will become famous soon enoughpdqwrx will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Quick Log: 2001 Mercedes E320 go boom boom boom! :) Arc Audio, ID

Great Work as always. I saw the video last week. Man that seems pretty loud for a daily driver that still meets all the customers expectations. Great Job....

Scott Baughman

Reliable Product Marketing
pdqwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Schizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enough

In for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
[he has the] personality of a syphalytic hedgehog trying to facef#ck its way into infected sinuses
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

the best part was when he picked it up...i dont think he expected what he was getting into when he asked for "as much bass as possible" one of his references was a tacoma with a single 10". He also really loved the cosmetic details we added to the system.

the look on his face as he listened to it and kept popping the trunk to see it was awesome.

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Not much a SPL guy but I think the trunk came out very nice. Just looking at it, I wouldn't think SPL.

Again, not much for SPL but you gotta love Bass, Boom, Bottom.
bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Mobile Symphony
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 66 reithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enough

The simplicity is awesome. The facial board on the sub box adds a subtle touch of class that separates the men from the boys.
reithi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 151 takeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enough

So badass.

-Ray
'11 Tundra Pioneer AVH-X2800BS | Bit.Ten | Mobile ES 7557 + 7527 | F: Rainbow W165 SLC NG + XT25 | R: Zapco-ESB i-602 | S: Helix E300
takeabao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Bigtuna00 will become famous soon enoughBigtuna00 will become famous soon enoughBigtuna00 will become famous soon enoughBigtuna00 will become famous soon enoughBigtuna00 will become famous soon enoughBigtuna00 will become famous soon enough

Very cool! Might wanna reconsider the video though since it has the customer's license plate number in clear view.

Pioneer AVH-X2500BT, Mosconi 4to6, JL Audio XD700/5, JL Audio XD200/2, Morel Virtus 602, ARC AUDIO Arc10D4 v3
Bigtuna00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 155 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

Not 1 but 2 ID Maxes....PORTED!....wow.Well he wanted loud I think you guys nailed it.The trunk layout is just awesome,belongs with the car.
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 122 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

nice job guys... that trim panel is great and makes a huge difference in the final product.... looks a lot more than just a "box". well done.

2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE - HLCD Coming Soon!
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

Was it fun doing something fairly simple and out of norm for you bing ? It looks great !
optimaprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #12

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 mklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enough

Nice work guys, I like this picture

Lol, great use of the amp template.
mklett33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaprime View Post
Was it fun doing something fairly simple and out of norm for you bing ? It looks great !
Nothing out of the ordinary for Bing on this one, soundproofing doors, installing speakers, and a little wiring...
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklett33 View Post
Nice work guys, I like this picture
Lol, great use of the amp template.
Haha.. thanks.. why just make a hole in the middle, when it could be a stylish hole!
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ learner

Rep Power: 89 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Nice work. I was getting a little skered after seeing that door pic in the other thread. WTF was that anyways? lol

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
Nice work. I was getting a little skered after seeing that door pic in the other thread. WTF was that anyways? lol
Just some random picture that was hopefully crazy enough to push bing to write this log.... Lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
Old 06-05-2013   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ learner

Rep Power: 89 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post
Just some random picture that was hopefully crazy enough to push bing to write this log.... Lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks to have wored

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement