A rare occurrence: Adding just a subwoofer to a 13 Golf TDi - Arc Audio, Audiomobile - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default A rare occurrence: Adding just a subwoofer to a 13 Golf TDi - Arc Audio, Audiomobile

For anyone who has followed our build logs, you are probably used to seeing all inclusive SQ projects where we replace everything. The truth is, we are usually quite busy with these types of builds that we hardly have time for smaller projects.

This car however, was an exception. It was referred to us by a long time friend in the industry, and we just happened to have a lil extra time to squeeze him in.

this marks only the second time Simplicity In Sound has performed a subwoofer add on build...some of you may remember the last one :

Adding a subwoofer system to a Lexus IS350 :)

this time, with joey's talent, we took it a step further.

The car is a brand spanking new 2013 Volkswagen Golf Tdi, the customer has had pretty poor experiences previously with local audio shops and was a bit hesitant at taking another shot at it. but with the help of our friend, he handed us the keys and laid down these goals:

1. On a reasonable budget, obtain the maximum amount of music bass possible

2. retain full access to spare tire

3. retain the ability to fold down the backseat to pass long items through

thats it...basically as you can imagine, this dictated a side enclosure, and we played around with various designs, and ended going with a single 10" sub, the by now trusted audiomobile elite 2210.

lets get started.

first, we had to figure out a fuse holder for him, so Joey fabricated one from metal that bolts to OEM mounting spots and houses a single MAXI fuse holder

I was responsible for the wiring and amp rack, while joey took care of the sub enclosure, since most of the wiring is tucked under the factory jute and out of sight, i can only take pics of where it enters the channel and where it exists by the back seat.

I also installed a remote bass knob in one of his knock out panels infront of the shifter, but neither of us remembered to take a picture of it lol, but its basically like this one i did previously:

we removed the driver side foam storage bin, and i installed two rivet nuts on the floor:

and then i made a simple carpted board to act as the amp rack and bolted it in place:

i then installed a single arc audio KS300.2 amp and a customer supplied Audiocontrol LC2i on the board and wired it all up. the LC2i wasnt really needed for the dynaudio system but he had it anyway and it provided a remote bass port:

so that was my job done onto the bass part!

So as mentioned earlier, the customer wanted as much bass as possible, but we were still limited by where the spare tire sat. but in the end, Joey managed to build a very cool PORTED enclosure of 1.5 cubic foot tuned at 38HZ, plotted on bassbox pro.

to make it blend in better, it features a combination of vinyl and carpet with cool shaped front grille piece and a smaller trim panel with a raised vinyl logo.

it should be stated that the projected started as a simple carpeted side enclosure that evolved to what you see hear all due to Joey's enthusiasm and dedication. He kept the customer involved at every step and when it came to what kind of logo he wanted on the front trim piece, he gave us a Battle Axe image to use, a personal touch to the design. it is a simple press fit piece so we also made him a blank one that he can swap out later if he feels like it.

the front of the box has a TON of detail work that really shows of Joey's ability. so here is the final result:

pop off the grille, which is press fit AND held on by magnets, and you get a closer look at the Audiomobile elite2210 and the slot port:

So, lets take a quick look at the build process of the box, keeping mind its joey's work so we may be skipping several steps at a time hahhahaha

first, the area was taped off:

then fiberglass was laid down, the mold popped out, trimmed and attached to various MDF pieces (yall will just have to take my word for it )

this is the inside of the port:

and mold cloth pulled between the mdf frame and the fiberglass back mold:

once that was resined, cured and reinforced, joey got to work on the front baffle, with drawings of where all the trim pieces will go:

when that was done, the area was tapped off again so the edges can be blended to precisely match the curvature of the oem carpet:

at the same time, two big rivet nuts were installed into the floor to which the subbox will bolt:

this is the entire back portion of the box sans the front baffle:

and the front baffle attached with the trim pieces secured. filler was then applied in between to form the press fit walls that go around the trim panels:

when thats all sanded and the trim piece routed and prepped, it looks like this:

mocking up the battle axe logo:

and vinyl being applied to the grille piece, after this, grille mesh was secured to it, forming the removable grille

when all the pieces were upholstered, and the subbox bolted in place, this is what it looks like before the sub, grille and factory floor panels went back on

so thats it...i have to say, when we were discussing a big ole PORTED box for a side enclosure of a Golf, i was skeptical on how it can look, but really, what joey came up with both provides a TON of output AND it looks clean...pretty cool feat if you ask me.

I only got to listen to the car briefly before i had to leave, but i have to say its a shocking amout of output for a single 10 off of 700 watts RMS (keeping in mind i am an SQ head haha)...

I will let joey give his impression on the car and how the sub sounded ported.

cheers,

Bing

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 146 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Default Re: A rare occurrence: Adding just a subwoofer to a 13 Golf TDi - Arc Audio, Audiomob

Those KS300.2s are ballsy amps. I did an RE 10 down firing, ported in a Lincoln Mark LT and it sounded like a pair of 12's. We ended up upgrading to a KS1200.1 later, but it didn't get noticeably louder...he just managed to blow the sub a few times. LOL

That box looks great. I'd love to hear one of those subs. I know the local rep, but no one local is carrying them that I know of.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 Catalyx will become famous soon enoughCatalyx will become famous soon enoughCatalyx will become famous soon enoughCatalyx will become famous soon enoughCatalyx will become famous soon enoughCatalyx will become famous soon enough

Default Re: A rare occurrence: Adding just a subwoofer to a 13 Golf TDi - Arc Audio, Audiomob

Wow, I never thought about making a ported side box in my VW. Joey has some damn impressive skills and ideas!

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” – Benjamin Franklin
Catalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Axe me about how hard this thing hammered! hahaheehee..

I really liked it. Very good range of sound, it even blended not too bad with the oem front system. It had more bass than I expected. The car really had minimal rattle/vibration/resonance too. Nice and clean sounding.
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to lie. Fitting the vent and enough airspace in the enclosure and the sub, was a pretty tricky proposal. I spent a good amount of time modeling different ports and airspaces before I came up with one that would work. There was very little margin for error.

One kinda cool thing Bing didn't mention was, if you look at the "Mocking up the Battle Axe" Picture toward the bottom of the enclosure you will see a 1/2" high slot. That slot was so the OEM carpet floor board piece could slide in and be secure, and also have a finished look. It had to be cut to accommodate the enclosure and this slot allowed for everything to still look nice and clean.
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Oh, lol.. and if anyone was wondering.. The picture of the mold cloth being applied from the side, there is a mysterious chunk of MDF with tape on it attached to the enclosure. That piece pushes in on the cloth to leave room for an OEM metal loop that was on the back wall of the car. I didn't want to cut that piece off so I made the enclosure go around it...
Old 06-17-2013   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 129 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

Very nice guys very nice, but I want to know whats up with the M3 in the back ground.

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
jayhawkblk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk View Post
Very nice guys very nice, but I want to know whats up with the M3 in the back ground.
U shall see it soon maquies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-17-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 146 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

The come all the way from Colorado now! lol

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 129 rugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the rough

I can't wait to see what Joey comes up with in a week or two. Great stuff guys!

The most I have ever paid for sex.... Was Marriage.
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 rmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enough

Top notch, as usual, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk View Post
It's been in the background on several(?) of their build logs now. I got a feeling that one's going to have us shaking our heads more than usual. Can't wait to see it.
rmchevelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchevelle View Post
Top notch, as usual, guys!

It's been in the background on several(?) of their build logs now. I got a feeling that one's going to have us shaking our heads more than usual. Can't wait to see it.
Thats actually a very mild build cosmetically speaking. Also strictly limited on where we can put speakers and what we can and cannot cut. So dont build it up too much

The GT-R on the other hand...hehe

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-17-2013   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 rmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enoughrmchevelle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
Thats actually a very mild build cosmetically speaking. Also strictly limited on where we can put speakers and what we can and cannot cut. So dont build it up too much

The GT-R on the other hand...hehe

OK, OK, no pressure. Will be interesting given those parameters. Looking forward to seeing both builds.
rmchevelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

And, too, the M3 was delivered and had a set pickup date. So, it isn't like we have been working on it the whole time, we were in essence storing it for a while before we worked on it.. :-)
Old 06-17-2013   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post
And, too, the M3 was delivered and had a set pickup date. So, it isn't like we have been working on it the whole time, we were in essence storing it for a while before we worked on it.. :-)
shhh...dont tell them about the secrete driftin sessions we had around the shop with it!

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-17-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 155 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

SimpliCITY Amazing!
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 NA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enough

Sweet Build guys. As always.
NA$TY-TA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 TheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enough

So are you guys looking to hire a third man anytime soon?

I think I know a guy that's available.

Great work as usual!
TheBetterMethod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 106 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Very cool build! I saw the write-up on Facebook - obviously a VERY satisfied customer!
What does the battleaxe represent though? BAXWAR member by any chance?

sinister-kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Thanks guys, When we initially talked he went home that evening and emailed me back a few images. The axe came from an image used on a website he owns..
Old 06-18-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

Very nice install simple and clean. How can I buy stuff from you?
optimaprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 mrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enough

as usual fells ya'll push the bar...nice work.

2009 Toyota Camry: Plotting
1987 Dodge D50: lowered, rusting, Skar...
*cooming soon* 1996 Dodge Daktoa: 318, bags, 20's
mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaprime View Post
Very nice install simple and clean. How can I buy stuff from you?
just PM and let me know. or send us your car

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement