Ipad Mini In dash - 1999 Toyota 4Runner :) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default Ipad Mini In dash - 1999 Toyota 4Runner :)

Hey guys,

many of you know that people have been installing ipads in the dashes of vehicles for a coupla years now, this trend was accelerated when the mini came out last year.

Low and behold, we finally got around to do such an install

The requirements of this customer is a bit different than our typical client. She did not want or need any type of audio system upgrade, rather, she wanted to able to utilize the tablet for her audio books and other non audio related functions such as maps and navigation.

So lets get started, this build is 100 percent Joey while i was working on the jetta sportwagen, so i will try my best to interpret his pictures. hehe

Goals:

1. to integrate the ipad mini into the dash in a clean, OEM like manner

2. to allow full control of the audio system via the ipad and retain all oem functionality (buttons, climate control etc)

3. to be able to easily remove and attach the ipad mini

so lets get started.

we forgot to take a picture of the stock dash, so i pulled one off the web:

Joey then started taking things apart to see what can be moved and how best to fit the ipad.

after quite a bit of measuring, he decided on a course of action, and the first step is to move the factory climate control module upward by an inch or so. so the dash panel was cut and resecured:

it is bonded to the bezel via plastic welding

to accomodate this change and the need to recess a headunit (see later), a portion of the oem vents had to be cut and reduced, so Joey came up with a blanking plate, trimmed the vents, and sealed it with silicone:

to allow full access of the radio via the ipad, we chose to go with a Sony MEX-GS600BT headunit because of its unique App Remote function.

here is joey wiring up and organizing the harness, again no amps, no speakers, such a headunit replacement

then he started on the process of forming a trim panel for the sony headunit which also has to double for a ipad mounting solution infront of it. basically recessing the headunit.

the trim ring around the ipad was created with some prevision router work:

and here is the array of neodymium magnets that will be embedded into the mounting frame that will secure the ipad, there are also a few magnets on the bottom side:

then the process of blending the trim panel to the sony headunit began, using Sonus Audio Mass:

If you look at the original picture of the dash, you will realize that the buttons controlling his defroster, transmission and rear windows (among other things) is no longer there. it had to be relocated and joey had the task now of grafting those buttons down to the shifter trim panel:

he also built a lil holder for an IR repeater eye as the sony remote control will allow access to the unit even with the ipad in place, since this is a car that did not come with steering wheel remote control.

after a bunch of molding, sanding, here is a rough layout of the top and bottom portions:

more filler was used to blend the two layers of the top trim panel together:

and then blended into the oem dash bezel. here are the two almost finished pieces side by side:

The customer indicated that she wanted to get rid of the faux wood, so the pieces were primed and painted black:

the remainder of the IR repeater eye being prepped to be installed into the finished lower trim panel:

So here is the finished product.

the ipad fits perfect in the dash, held in snugly via magnets. but is loose enough to be removed via small suction cup. i circled the IR repeater eye that was installed in the lower console, this takes the signal from the sony remote and projects it into an output eye above the sony headunit (see later pics)

The ipad works great using the sony app, controlling everything from source changing to BT phone contro...i will just let the pics do the talking now

here is a shot of the sony headunit after you take the ipad out, it then just functions totally as a normal headunit. i tried to get a picture of the IR eye but its hard to see, its right below the red arrow in the second picture note that joey made sure even this recessed headunit mounting looks clean and professional

and finally, a close up of the relocated buttons on the shifter trim panel:

so thats it, the car left yesterday and the customer was beyond happy. I was never much of an tablet in dash person but after seeing this, i am getting ideas for my own car

cheers,

Bing

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013   #2

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
East Coast Customs
Position:
Installation Mgr. M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 87 eisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ipad Mini In dash - 1999 Toyota 4Runner :)

NICE job looks really nice - and that sony headunit is key - most affordable option for a tuner / 3 sets of preouts - volume - etc.
other wise you spend alot more on the istremer and audio control parts

really looks good and clean !!
eisnerracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 73 Noobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished road

helluva job there joey
Noobdelux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 148 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Now that is cool. Can u link me to the magnets you used and how many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 151 takeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enoughtakeabao will become famous soon enough

Damn.

-Ray
'11 Tundra Pioneer AVH-X2800BS | Bit.Ten | Mobile ES 7557 + 7527 | F: Rainbow W165 SLC NG + XT25 | R: Zapco-ESB i-602 | S: Helix E300
takeabao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Now that is cool. Can u link me to the magnets you used and how many?
go to your local harbor freight, look for rare earth magnets in small packages

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 07-03-2013   #7

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
East Coast Customs
Position:

Rep Power: 87 eisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enougheisnerracing will become famous soon enough

yup i use rare earth magnets too when i do an ipod mini install
I tape up the mini - make a fiberglass mold of the mini - after it drys i drop the magnets on the back side of the pan they will stick where there is metal in the mini - then glue then on
Old 07-03-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! A few corrections...
--The picture with the single little piece that bing referred to as the holder for the IR repeater was actually the handsfree mic mounting piece that I trimmed before it was attached to the windshield.
--The picture that says the remainder of the IR being prepped is the board that had the light for the OEM security and passenger seatbelt warning. Those LED's were removed from the circuit board and wires were used to extend them to fit into one of the OEM knockout plates. I took LED holders from some spare alarm leds and used them to mount the leds in the panel and look "finished"

Niebur3 those are rare earth magnets from harbor freight.. The picture will show how many and where I put the magnets..
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisnerracing View Post
yup i use rare earth magnets too when i do an ipod mini install
I tape up the mini - make a fiberglass mold of the mini - after it drys i drop the magnets on the back side of the pan they will stick where there is metal in the mini - then glue then on
I wanted to make sure that the magnets were as close as possible so I epoxied them to the pan in the recesses I made. I wanted them to have as much pull as possible.
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #10

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Buckshot Racing
Position:
Technician/fabricator

Rep Power: 120 JP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enough

Are you using the lightning plug to charge the ipad?

Formerly-crnacnac
JP Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Fabrication View Post
Are you using the lightning plug to charge the ipad?
Yes, the Sony Radio charges the ipad when the plug is plugged in..
Old 07-03-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

It looks very clean, I like it.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

For fast moving Concerts

12V Company:
LBaudio
Position:
Founder/Owner

Rep Power: 113 LBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enough

very very nice.

I like how you integrated Sony hu behind the iPad.....sick!

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #14

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

man... this looks really good. and I like the idea of having the headunit behind the ipad to use as needed. mind if I send you my dash piece and an iPad mini?

quick question: is the display on the ipad showing the features of the deck? for example, the radio station... is that being pulled from the headunit or is there an app on the ipad? I'm assuming you guys have the headunit running in 'app mode'. i'm not too up on how these two are integrated.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log

Last edited by ErinH; 07-04-2013 at 08:22 AM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 130 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
man... this looks really good. and I like the idea of having the headunit behind the ipad to use as needed. mind if I send you my dash piece and an iPad mini?

quick question: is the display on the ipad showing the features of the deck? for example, the radio station... is that being pulled from the headunit or is there an app on the ipad? I'm assuming you guys have the headunit running in 'app mode'. i'm not too up on how these two are integrated.
This is a great question and one in which I can't wait to hear the results.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 aka Tri-Tone...
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 mrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enough

nice install...i like the idea of recessing the headunit behind the ipad instead of trying to make them fit on top of each other. as always gents nice work.

2009 Toyota Camry: Plotting
1987 Dodge D50: lowered, rusting, Skar...
*cooming soon* 1996 Dodge Daktoa: 318, bags, 20's
mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #17

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
East Coast Customs
Position:

It pulls from the new Sony headunit using a app for the Sony headunit
iPad can control bass , treb , subwoofer out , source etc of the Sony deck
Like a big touch screen remote
Old 07-04-2013   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Mobile Symphony
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 66 reithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enoughreithi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post
Yes, the Sony Radio charges the ipad when the plug is plugged in..
Great job.

An iPad normally requires about 2.1 amps to charge. Does the Sony HU USB port have enough current?
reithi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Erin,

the sony app remote works, well sorta the opposite way than the pioneer app radio.

where as the app radio allows you to control the apps of the PHONE FROM the radio, the sony thing is designed to allow you control the RADIO from the phone or tablet.

to that end, it displays all the vital functions of the headunit into a nice gui on the tablet, radio, cd, bt hf calling, etc etc. it works pretty well when joey was playing with it.

b

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 07-04-2013   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

this video by our good freinds in FL shows how it works the one difference is that our much older car (99 4runer) did not come with steering wheel controls, and instead uses an IR eye and the sony's own remote control if we want to make changes without touching the ipad.

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 07-04-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

No doubt the cleanest IPAD/HU combo install I've seen yet.

Could you please if you have them closer photo's of the plug
and how it routes or exits your trim ring? That is what has me
most hung up on installing either Apple or Samsung. I wouldn't
mind it more hard mounted, the plug that is and slide the devise
in through the side
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

That is a very clever idea and VERY nicely done!
bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 130 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Well Bing if you get an itch to add a tablet to your car, please make two as I would gladly buy it from you for my car.

Old 07-05-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Rep Power: 112 papasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura about

Bing with an Apple product? Don't hold your breath. Maybe for his Note 2.
papasin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

I'm easy I will also accept going with a Nexus 7 lol...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement