2nd SQ Install - First Log - 2011 Subaru Legacy - Modified MECA - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Default 2nd SQ Install - First Log - 2011 Subaru Legacy

Well the time has come. I am doing some major overhauls on the Car in preparation for next year's Meca Build (Modified Class), but I still need to stay in my class restrictions for now (Stock Class).

What it's going in:

Most of this stuff is coming out, the sub and HU will stay, as will the Soundstream Reference amp:

And a pic of the dash where the A-pillar pods will be mounted:

And here is the equipment list of what is going in for now:

Head Unit
- Pioneer 80 PRS

Amps
- Soundstream Reference 370.2 (Tweeters)
- Rockford Fosgate T600-4 - Bridged (Midrange)
- Rockford Fosgate T600-4 - Bridged (MidBass)
- Rockford Fosgate T1000-1BDCP (Sub)
- 100 Farad Hybrid Capacitor (Possibly)

Speakers
- Soundstream TWT.6 (Tweeters)
- Fountek FR88ex (Midrange) (might be getting changed to the Tang Band Bamboo 3", will depend on how the amps sound)
- Peerless HDS GFC 6.5" (Midbass)
- JL audio 12W6v2

Battery
- Kinetic HC2000
- Toolmaker Metalworks Battery Posts {(4) 1/0 and (2) 4ga)}

Wiring
- 1/0 OFC Front to back
- 2 Gauge OFC front to back
- (2) Toolmaker Metalworks ANL Fuse Holders
- Solid Copper Custom Distribution Plate
- 4 Gauge from distro to Amps
- DB Link Competition Series RCA Cables
- 12ga OFC to speakers

Sound Deadener
Alpha Damp
Fat Mat
Cheap Ebay Sound Deadener

And Pictures of some of it:

Time to get to work, I will keep you guys updated on my progress. Here's to hoping I don't burn down my car!

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
spyders03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Not very exciting, but I got my new saw horses built. It's probably good the wife isn't here, since I did it in the living room. Apparently I picked the hottest day of the summer to start this. On to the amp rack template!

Swyped while swerving

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
Old 08-24-2013   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Default Re: 2nd SQ Install - First Log - 2011 Subaru Legacy - Modified MECA

I decided to go with an "amp rack" mounted to the back of my back seats, but there was just plastic sheeting back there. I got some 3/4" MDF and made a new back for the amps to hold on to.

You can see where the my JL 500/1 used to be mounted, and also where it pulled out of the plastic:

Mocking up a template from cardboard:

I know a lot of people have problems with the Parts Express brand bar clamps, saying that they break very easily... They do. However for light jobs, they work out great!

I cut the board at a 30 degree angle to help the fabric on the back lay nicer, so it didn't look so bulged up

Old 08-24-2013   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 179 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

as someone with the same car, i will be checking out the log from time to time if i ever get to do my own Car lol

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 179 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Oh and dif ur limited on soace..get a palm router. Will be much faster than ur jigsaw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-24-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 57 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Yes, it is very hot out, but let the wife come home to tools in the living room, it'll be much cooler outside. haha
Seriously good work there, take time, measure twice, hope it all works out smoothly for you.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
Oh and dif ur limited on soace..get a palm router. Will be much faster than ur jigsaw

Limited on space how? I also have a skill saw, but didn't feel like getting it out. And not that I know you're going to be watching I will have to step up my game, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Yes, it is very hot out, but let the wife come home to tools in the living room, it'll be much cooler outside. haha
Seriously good work there, take time, measure twice, hope it all works out smoothly for you.
This went really quick, but measurements were not precise as nothing was going to be showing, so a template was enough. But yes, I have made that mistake too many times, lol.

Old 08-24-2013   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyders03 View Post
Limited on space how? I also have a skill saw, but didn't feel like getting it out. And not that I know you're going to be watching I will have to step up my game, lol.

This went really quick, but measurements were not precise as nothing was going to be showing, so a template was enough. But yes, I have made that mistake too many times, lol.
oh i meant if you dont have space for a full router table, a palm router would save you a lot of time, a single pass with a chamfer would be a lot faster than cutting with the jigsaw set at the angle

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-24-2013   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Oh, yeah I definitely don't have room for a full on table. I would at my old house. I was looking at a nice plunger router, just don't know what to look for exactly, never had one before.

Old 08-24-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 123 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Well this makes another 5th generation Legacy owner who will be watching this build.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

(Ram 1500) Clarion NX706/ Sinfoni Tempo 10 / Sinfoni T65W / Sundown Audio 12" SD-3 / Alpine PDX V9
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Well this makes another 5th generation Legacy owner who will be watching this build.
Very nice, I love those wheels!

These cars really make great SQ cars, high roof, open interior, symmetrical dash, only if the sail panels were accessible.

Old 08-24-2013   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 102 Tsmith will become famous soon enoughTsmith will become famous soon enoughTsmith will become famous soon enoughTsmith will become famous soon enoughTsmith will become famous soon enoughTsmith will become famous soon enough

Good luck with the build. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Tsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Thanks, I should have most of it done in the next few days, minus the Pillars.

Old 08-24-2013   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

For ur needs meaning finishing work without a table a palm is the way to go. Look for the variospeed bosch. I ran 3 years without a table and did well with it. Not too expensive either at 150 bucks. Wout a table plunge full size is best used to cut circles.

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-24-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 123 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Bing. Still would love a list of the equipment that you will be using please.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

(Ram 1500) Clarion NX706/ Sinfoni Tempo 10 / Sinfoni T65W / Sundown Audio 12" SD-3 / Alpine PDX V9
Old 08-24-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 148 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Fellow Subie owner, and subscribed!

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Bing. Still would love a list of the equipment that you will be using please.
There is a list at the end of the first post

Swyped while swerving

Old 08-24-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

I'm sorry, I was referring to Bing about his list of equipment.

Old 08-25-2013   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

lets not derail this thread with any talks about my non existing system lol

the list will be known when i know it lol

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-25-2013   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Got the first one set in, it doesn't look bad, and holds pretty well. I will have to figure something out about the wires when I re-wire everything, the board is slightly pushing against the false floor where the Power wires are ran right now. Here is where it sits, I'll get the other side and some more prep work done tomorrow morning, or tomorrow afternoon if I go to the lake in the morning.

This is what I am thinking, with the SS Ref amp on the other side, then mount the T1000-1 to the back of the box, or against a wall. I don't think it will look as good, but it will be more functional, I guess. Thoughts? Should I mount the 3 similar amps together and make it look good, or keep the stages together for wiring purposes? I have always gone function>form, but I would be interested to see what other people think.

Old 08-25-2013   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

i wanna see the battery swap when you get to it, i am debating on what i should do with mine.

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 08-25-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 139 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyders03 View Post
Oh, yeah I definitely don't have room for a full on table. I would at my old house. I was looking at a nice plunger router, just don't know what to look for exactly, never had one before.
You don't need a huge router table for most things. I used a piece of 1/2 mdf in about 3' x 3' mounted over a garbage can for a while and it worked fine.

I'm going to redo it with some Melamine or a piece of MDF with white board over it (like the stuff they use for dry erase markers) and I bought a large blue round container to mount it over. PVC on the side for the shop vac and Boom!

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
i wanna see the battery swap when you get to it, i am debating on what i should do with mine.
Me too, I'm just waiting on the hardware to come in. I ordered 2 of these http://toolmakermetalworkz.com/viewi...p?productid=20 and a pair of http://toolmakermetalworkz.com/viewi...p?productid=13 also. Should look pretty slick.

Swyped while swerving

Old 08-26-2013   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 KyngHype will become famous soon enoughKyngHype will become famous soon enoughKyngHype will become famous soon enoughKyngHype will become famous soon enoughKyngHype will become famous soon enoughKyngHype will become famous soon enough

Wow a ton of power, cant wait to see this thing..
KyngHype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 57 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Yes RMS that's 300watts x 2 on midrange and also mid bass and then 110 x 2 on the tweeters alone.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement