2010 Hummer H3T Alpha - Simple SQ Install - Daily Driver and Weekend Offroad Warrior - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 110 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Default 2010 Hummer H3T Alpha - Simple SQ Install - Daily Driver and Weekend Offroad Warrior

About time I created one of these! I'd like to share my 2010 Hummer H3T Alpha truck with everyone and the simple system I've installed that brings great joy to my trips, both pavement and offroad. It's a fun rig with V8 power, factory 33" tires, 3 locking differentials, Cadillac sound deadened interior and super comfy heated leather seats despite a very basic dashboard from a Chevy Colorado.

Yes, I'm one of the very few who takes their "baby" Hummer off the beaten path and I have the carnage to show for it...
- Left fender flares shattered by trees, now removed.
- Both left fenders bent and scraped as well.
- Front left inner fender ripped out, just replaced that today.
- So many scratches in the paint, it is a lost cause and I rarely wash it.
- There's more, I can't remember at the moment though.

My goal for this truck is to be a comfortable overlander without being too extreme that it inhibits its ability as a daily driver. No giant lift, no 37" tires, no wall of subs...I also have a baby boy to be born any day now so this will be my daddy wagon for a while so it needs to be reliable...no superchargers, cams, heads, etc. I do have some mods so far:
- Rocky Road rock sliders
- GM undercarriage protection
- Scorpworks steering brackets
- GM performance exhaust
- Custom tuned PCM (no more GM throttle lag, more aggressive shift, extra Power from timing optimized for 92 octane gas)
- Hummer factory truck boxes (main box and two smaller boxes that attach to factory bed rails, these carry my jacks, tow straps, camping gear, emergency roadside kits, first aid stuff, etc.).

Driving down a river in the WA Cascades:

Shooting AR15s in the mountains:

1 hour after taking delivery last summer:

And now to the good stuff! As it currently sits, here is the stereo system:
- Eclipse CD7200 MKII modded by Matt Roberts, upgraded opamps/caps and better Power supply isolation for a lower noise floor. Running in active 3-way mode.
- Vibe Litebox Stereo4 amp, two channels to tweeters, two for mids.
- Vibe Litebox Bass1 amp for the sub
- CSS LD25X tweeters
- Audible Physics Arian mids
- Stereo Integrity BM MKIV
- 4ga. welding cable, IXOS power accessories and RCAs

CD7200 prior to install, they just don't make HUs like this anymore :

CSS tweeters:

Lots of deadener AFTER I learned I only needed 25% of this to be as effective:

Very dirty interior after a trail run while hiding my IXOS RCAs and installing the first HU that I had in this truck, a Pioneer DEH-80PRS:

Upcoming plans:
- I'll be trying out Audible Physics H6.5MB mids since I cross over at 1.6khz to keep my image high on the dash and I'm not taking advantage of the Arians high extension. And I wouldn't mind the added midbass output
- New XBL tweeters, more to come on that.
- The addition of a 2nd SI BM MKIV and Vibe Litebox Bass1. The MKIV has been sitting in my office closet for weeks now and I just need to assemble the enclosure after raising the rear seat 1" for sub throw.
- 1/0ga. welding cable to support the additional sub amp
- Biketronics amps (Hypex UcD180 based amps)

Stay tuned for more pictures from my install journey (and from the trail! The mountains are thawing so I'll be back out there soon).

Enjoy!

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 110 teldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enough

Nice install. Love the CSS tweet mods there. What's this about Hypex Car amps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Alpine CDE-HD149BT - Helix DSP
Sony XM260G - Sony XES-M3 - JL HD 750/1
Illusion Audio CuBe - Focal Utopia 165 W-RC - JBL W12GTi
teldzc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Hummer H3T Alpha - Simple SQ Install - Daily Driver and Weekend Offroad Warr

Awesome rig! Love to see good use of 4 wheel drive!! Ive always liked these H-trucks too

Congrats on the boy on the way as well!

Subbed for the journey
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 110 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Hummer H3T Alpha - Simple SQ Install - Daily Driver and Weekend Offroad Warr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teldzc1 View Post
Nice install. Love the CSS tweet mods there. What's this about Hypex Car amps?

Thanks! Hoping to get them molded into the A-pillars since you can still see the factory grills behind them right now. These are my favorite dome tweeter that I have ever heard but I am extremely excited to try out the new XBL model coming out of Canada soon. I have RAAL 70-10D ribbons on the way for my A-pillars but I may Build them into a bookshelf instead because I am enjoying these so much (and sticking with the CSS tweets keeps things simple ).

A friend of mine owns a company called Biketronics based in Idaho. They Build audiophile stereo packages for Harley Davidsons and their amps are all based on Hypex modules. Amazing performance and simplicity:

http://biketronics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppinkdiver View Post
Awesome rig! Love to see good use of 4 wheel drive!! Ive always liked these H-trucks too

Congrats on the boy on the way as well!

Subbed for the journey
Thank you sir! And thanks again for the hookup on the Arians! Still can't believe how good they sound, AP drivers are probably one of the best kept secrets in this industry.

Old 05-08-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 110 teldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enough

I looked at their site. That's pretty exciting actually. I thought Hypex needed a +-48v supply or something like that so wasnt suited for mobile use. Very interesting!

Old 05-08-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Yeah they Build their own Power supplies for mobile use, pretty cool.

Old 05-08-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 71 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

NICE Hummer !

I LOVE these trucks
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Thanks! Me too, not many of them around, mine is 1 of only 48 V8's made in 2010.

Two more Vibe Litebox Bass1 amps just showed up, looks like it is 2nd SI sub time

Old 05-10-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Supporting Vendor

12V Company:
Stereo Integrity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 135 Electrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post

About time I created one of these! I'd like to share my 2010 Hummer H3T Alpha truck with everyone and the simple system I've installed that brings great joy to my trips, both pavement and offroad. It's a fun rig with V8 power, factory 33" tires, 3 locking differentials, Cadillac sound deadened interior and super comfy heated leather seats despite a very basic dashboard from a Chevy Colorado.

Yes, I'm one of the very few who takes their "baby" Hummer off the beaten path and I have the carnage to show for it...
- Left fender flares shattered by trees, now removed.
- Both left fenders bent and scraped as well.
- Front left inner fender ripped out, just replaced that today.
- So many scratches in the paint, it is a lost cause and I rarely wash it.
- There's more, I can't remember at the moment though.

Driving down a river in the WA Cascades:

Shooting AR15s in the mountains:

1 hour after taking delivery last summer:

And now to the good stuff! As it currently sits, here is the stereo system:
- Eclipse CD7200 MKII modded by Matt Roberts, upgraded opamps/caps and better Power supply isolation for a lower noise floor. Running in active 3-way mode.
- Vibe Litebox Stereo4 amp, two channels to tweeters, two for mids.
- Vibe Litebox Bass1 amp for the sub
- CSS LD25X tweeters
- Audible Physics Arian mids
- Stereo Integrity BM MKIV
- 4ga. welding cable, IXOS Power accessories and RCAs

CD7200 prior to install, they just don't make HUs like this anymore :

CSS tweeters:

Lots of deadener AFTER I learned I only needed 25% of this to be as effective:

Very dirty interior after a trail run while hiding my IXOS RCAs and installing the first HU that I had in this truck, a Pioneer DEH-80PRS:

Upcoming plans:
- I'll be trying out Audible Physics H6.5MB mids since I cross over at 1.6khz to keep my image high on the dash and I'm not taking advantage of the Arians high extension. And I wouldn't mind the added midbass output
- New XBL tweeters, more to come on that.
- The addition of a 2nd SI BM MKIV and Vibe Litebox Bass1. The MKIV has been sitting in my office closet for weeks now and I just need to assemble the enclosure after raising the rear seat 1" for sub throw.
- 1/0ga. welding cable to support the additional sub amp
- Biketronics amps (Hypex UcD180 based amps)

Stay tuned for more pictures from my install journey (and from the trail! The mountains are thawing so I'll be back out there soon).

Enjoy!
Awesome! Yes, it's odd to see someone using a Hummer on anything other than smooth pavement.

How is your one BM mkIV performing? I'll end up with three BM mkIV's in my Jetta once I start on the install.

Electrodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

The MKIV is awesome! It's temporarily mounted in an Atrend .5 cu. ft. box directly behind the driver seat while I construct the under seat setup which will require fiberglassing to complete it. My Poly fiberfill arrived last night and wow it made the response and low extension even smoother. The sub blends with my Arians perfectly and makes my sound stage feel huge. Thanks!!!

Old 05-16-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Tonight I swapped out my Arians:

For the Audible Physics H6.5MB:

Great midbass punch! Since I was only playing up to 1600hz, the Arians weren't being put to their full use so traded to these and the Arians will go into my wife's Jeep. I'll have some HAT Unities for sale soon

Old 05-16-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Rep Power: 108 papasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura about

Nice! Now you need to change your sig.

papasin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Haha, updating right now! Thanks again to you and Rishi, they arrived very quickly!

Old 05-16-2014   #14

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Rep Power: 59 Rishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
Haha, updating right now! Thanks again to you and Rishi, they arrived very quickly!

Thank you
Rishi S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Nice midbass! They look exactly like the Melodic Acoustic 16.6 they I'm running. I'm running mine up till 2.5k but I'd like get a 3way running soon. Did you keep the 1.6k lp?

Old 05-16-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

looking good!!!
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
Nice midbass! They look exactly like the Melodic Acoustic 16.6 they I'm running. I'm running mine up till 2.5k but I'd like get a 3way running soon. Did you keep the 1.6k lp?

Yes, still using the 1.6k point to keep the image higher. For a while I was at 2.5k with the Arians but these CSs tweeters love to dig deep.

Old 05-16-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

1.6 to the tweets? For some reason I thought you were running a mid. That's impressive.

Old 05-16-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
1.6 to the tweets? For some reason I thought you were running a mid. That's impressive.

I was considering running AR3-A mids but didn't want to venture into custom A-pillar work at this time. Yeah these CSS tweeters have amazing low-end performance, no struggling when they play down to 1.6khz. I've been reading some posts on Parts Express that they'll do well down to 1250hz on a waveguide, pretty amazing.

Old 05-21-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Installed my Ixos battery terminals and ANL fuse holder with the first section of 1/0 OFC cable. I will run the rest of the 1/0 this weekend:

Stay tuned for me to install a surprise amp that is going to be very very interesting!

Old 05-21-2014   #21
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 vulgamore89 will become famous soon enoughvulgamore89 will become famous soon enoughvulgamore89 will become famous soon enoughvulgamore89 will become famous soon enoughvulgamore89 will become famous soon enoughvulgamore89 will become famous soon enough

Wow that mid is super low in the door haha hows it sound being that low? My old Silverado had pretty low mids and it pulled the stage down a little but not too bad

Pieces so far, 80PRS, Dayton RS180, Vifa NE25, PPI PC400.4, PPI PC1000.1. Build log hopefully coming soon
vulgamore89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Stage is way up high, top of dash/mid-windshield. Crossing over at 1.6k keeps things up top. The AP mids do a great job avoiding detection.

Last edited by Architect7; 05-21-2014 at 11:36 PM..
Old 05-29-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

New amp arrived and now installed, it sounds AMAZING:

Old 05-29-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Ooohhhh. What is that?

Old 05-30-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
Ooohhhh. What is that?

Clarion APA4300HX, released in 2004 for the DRZ4300HX. This is the most McIntosh-esque amp that Clarion ever made. Sounds like one, same circuitry, Power guard clipping protection, direct inputs that bypass the preamp section and LED readout for temp, Power output, voltage, etc. Extremely rare, I have seen less than 5 installs with these...and I have 3 more on the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement