Infinity G35 Tablet Install ,console remodel, and Mosconi-AMAS processor upgrade - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Default Infinity G35 Tablet Install ,console remodel, and Mosconi-AMAS processor upgrade

That's right. Bing can no longer pick on me for not writing any build logs. My first! (Well, not counting my first fake build log (that might I add, had a number of pages of worthwhile content! lol..)).
This build was for a previous customer.

2003 Infiniti G42 Coupe SQ Install - Sony JBL Seas Mosconi Stereo Integrity

This time around the plan was to upgrade the processor from an MS8 to a Mosconi 6to8v8. While the MS8 was a capable processor, the source unit this time was going to be a tablet, not a traditional radio. To maximize the sound quality, the audio was streamed directly from the tablet to the AMAS unit installed in the 6to8v8. The dash also had to be reconstructed to not only hold the large tablet, but also accommodate a variety of gauges and controllers.
So, let's take a look at the final result!

First up, the closeup of the tablet:

Now, let's see a wider view of the dash:

A little lower shot of the dash:

And now the console:

Cool, right? But wait! There's MORE! The client wanted access to 2 additional gauges, so we found a spot for them behind the tablet.

In the back of the car Bing freshened up some of the original panels with new carpet and the top trim piece was modified to frame the 6to8v8.

Let's take a look at what it took to get that massive tablet in the dash! It was kind of like playing one of those sliding number square games with all the pieces to see how it could fit!
I started with cutting the HVAC control piece out of the top section of the dash. Then I cut out the Hazzard button area. I temporarily attached the piece with CA glue, making sure it was level and square in the opening. After it was secure I heatwelded it together from the back side. This will ensure that the piece stays looking good for years to come. With the HVAC section secured I moved on to the Hazzard switch piece. Again, I cut, temporarily secured with CA glue, and then heat welded.

With those piece affixed I moved on to the mount for the Mosconi DRC controller. It was a very tight squeeze between the side and the Hazzard switch, but it fit! I made a plate out of ABS with the cutout for the knob bezel and the display. I also added 4 mounting points for the controller and countersunk the screw holes for it

Next was working on the actual tablet mount. I cut the remainder of the upper dash piece out to fit the space I needed. Then I constructed an ABS housing out of 1/4" ABS. I CA glued and heat welded that housing into the opening. This was the base for the upper tablet install. With that base mounted I started working on the trim pieces to frame out the tablet once it was installed. I stared by making two pieces out of 3/4" acrylic. I chose acrylic to make the frame because I knew I could securely fasten the pieces. The trim is a "U" shape and if it was made out of wood it would be too fragile. I was able to drill and tap the acrylic and not only glue but also bolt the pieces together.

With the "U" frame finished I decided to add in 2 little trim pieces to flank the top exposed sides of the frame. I used these pieces to tie the frame into the dash visually. The would also mold sloping forward and down on the dash bezel giving the pieces the illusion of blending all the pieces together coherently.

Behind the tablet the client wanted 2 gauges. To accommodate the depth of the gauges I had to space the gauge mounting plate back 1/2". I created a shape using my new Sonus EVOL kit and cut the shape out with the router. The gauge plate would bolt from behind so I added 4 threaded inserts to the wood piece. With the inserts in I glued the piece to the of the housing. A quick pass with a top bearing flush cut bit on the router and I had a perfect opening.

Hole cut, it was time to move on to filling the gaps left by the HVAC removal and start smoothing out the piece.

After the cosmetics were taken care of it was time to address the mounting of the trim piece into the car. I made some modifications to the OEM metal structure that would allow the pieces to bolt back in using the OEM mounting spots.

The final part of the front fabrication work was to mount two control units in the console. I started by making a framework that would old the two units and attach to the underside of the console. The taped spot in the picture is where an upholstered insert will be glued. I wanted to keep the wood clean so the glue would adhere well.

The piece ended up being fairly modular. The bracket that sandwiched the back controller was also the bracket that held in the front controller. I also made a metal mounting bracket to help tie the piece into the OEM plastic console.

Enough with the back side of the console, let's see the front!

And, now with the front controller.. (notice the little insert behind the back controller, that is a vinyled rest for your hand when it is using the controllers, this is the spot that was taped up in the first console picture)

Then, it was on to paint!

I decided to add in a little insert on the "U" piece to just add that little extra detail to the piece. In addition the sides and back of the "U" were covered with a short nap felt. This will protect the dash piece when it is removed to take out the tablet. The area surrounding the gauges is also covered with the material to protect the back of the tablet. The "U" piece has magnets imbedded in the top and bottom to hold it onto the dash.

And then a shot of the back of the upper dash piece before assembly. I made a template of the gauge mounting plate that was given to the client. That way if the gauges are ever changed he will be able to have a new plate made.

Sadly, after all the talking I do to Bing about how build pictures are vital to our business, this is the only picture he took of the trunk remodel.

Overall this was a very fun project. It was back to back with a tablet install in a is250 (build log coming soon..).

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 edzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Infinity G35 Tablet Install ,console remodel, and Mosconi-AMAS processor upgrade

I don't know

I like it

But that tablet looks so out of place

..but I like it.
edzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 146 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Infinity G35 Tablet Install ,console remodel, and Mosconi-AMAS processor upgrade

Yeah, I'm so used to seeing them in "widescreen" orientation.
Great Fab work, too! So, the tablet is the only source now?

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 mires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura about

Man, that dash and console work is a thing of beauty

Good job on your first official build log too. I can imagine how many hours go into the build itself but I know it takes quite a while to put the logs together too.

My only question is.....how does it sound?

Alpine 7949 - Morel Integra Ovation XO6 - Alpine MRV-F303 - Alpine MRV-F407 - (2) Boston Acoustics Pro 8.5LF
mires is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 130 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Lol I have to say that I agree. It's a finely done job as usual, it just looks out of place for that interior. But again you guys have done a fantastic job of incorporating something that was not meant to be. I am sure it's met and exceeded the clients needs, and hey isn't that what it's all about ?

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 aka Tri-Tone...
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 mires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzyy View Post
I don't know

I like it

But that tablet looks so out of place

..but I like it.
It took me by surprise when I saw it that way too but I honestly think it looks damn good. The G35 radio and climate control area always looked really blah to me but this design really makes it look like a much newer and more expensive car than it is. The more I look it, the more I picture it being what a 2020 OEM dash will look like.

Alpine 7949 - Morel Integra Ovation XO6 - Alpine MRV-F303 - Alpine MRV-F407 - (2) Boston Acoustics Pro 8.5LF
mires is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

here is a video i took of the car before it left

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

one thing i want to mention is that the customer chose this tablet for its screen size not for video watching, but instead, he will be running dash command as monitor his engine parameters off of it

b

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

I like it! Very High Tech kinda reminds me of the Tesla console.

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 121 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I like it! Very High Tech kinda reminds me of the Tesla console.
If I had any inspiration it was that...

Looking at this piece in the car, to me, it looks like it could belong there...

JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it's very appealing and sophisticated. An iPad mini would have been nice too if a more compact version was requested. You guys are really pushing the envelope!

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Another decision I made was to make the top edge of the tablet exposed. I think one of the key elements of the G interior is the clock. I didn't want to interfere with that. Plus, the power and volume controls were on top. So I made the decision to leave the top exposed. I think I was happy with that...

Old 06-05-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Edgewater

Rep Power: 69 Hoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enough

I love the way it looks, I'll take 2

Audison BitOne - Arc XDI V2 600.4, KS 2500.1 - Arc Black 6.2 - JBL W15GTi MkII
07 Accord Build Log
Hoptologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 mrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enough

Very tesla-esque. I can dig it. Very clean as always.

Sent from under your mom's bed

2009 Toyota Camry: Plotting
1987 Dodge D50: lowered, rusting, Skar...
*cooming soon* 1996 Dodge Daktoa: 318, bags, 20's
mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 88 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Don't see too many non-iPad installations... thank goodness for another person who isn't whipped by the fruit. Love the vertical orientation, but then again I see no reason to watch movies in a car and I still prefer SQUARE computer monitors or use a widescreen vertical so I can see more document at once, haha. Very Tesla-like, very nice.

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package
Steeda Suspension | VMP Tuning | Solo Performance Exhaust | JZilla Track Days
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 60 ccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enough

That fab work though , thumbs up.
Me personally would prefer a smaller screen & landscape, but as long as the customers happy

iPad mini in dash – Kenwood KDC-U7056BT
Alpine PDX-F4 – PDX-M6
Digital Designs CS-6.5 Comps – Chrome IDMAX 12"
Knukonceptz wiring
ccapil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

One thing to clarify.. There seemed to be some question about the tablet. We did not choose the tablet. The customer provided it. He knew the options and the size of it in relation to his dash. That part was his choice. We just did our best to make it look like it belonged there... :-)

Old 06-05-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 130 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Trust me as a customer I know oh so well about an installer possibly not agreeing with our choice. But as the owner and the one who has to daily the vehicle, I want what I want and how I want it. Now if you are doing the work for free, then well have at it lol.

Again I was not in any away inferring that it wasn't quality work as it truly is.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 aka Tri-Tone...
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 60 ccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enoughccapil will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post
One thing to clarify.. There seemed to be some question about the tablet. We did not choose the tablet. The customer provided it. He knew the options and the size of it in relation to his dash. That part was his choice. We just did our best to make it look like it belonged there... :-)
And done very well looking forward to seeing more of Julia's builds too.

iPad mini in dash – Kenwood KDC-U7056BT
Alpine PDX-F4 – PDX-M6
Digital Designs CS-6.5 Comps – Chrome IDMAX 12"
Knukonceptz wiring
ccapil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapil View Post
And done very well looking forward to seeing more of Julia's builds too.
We are still getting her up to speed, but there should be more coming in the future...

Old 06-05-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 122 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

I like it, will he be using all bluetooth stuff for his engine and and gauges and so on, what does he have under the hood?? twin turbo kit??

2013 VW CC and as I said down low!

When You Think Your Done! Reality is..... is just the beginning
quickaudi07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 105 sydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enough

I actually really like the portrait orientation of the tablet. If anything its looks very OEM, very McLaren...

Sydmonster, downunder.
sydmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 colled96 will become famous soon enoughcolled96 will become famous soon enoughcolled96 will become famous soon enoughcolled96 will become famous soon enoughcolled96 will become famous soon enoughcolled96 will become famous soon enough

AHHHHH...I was Just going say McLaren, but sydmonter beat me to it. Overall, it's an OUTSTANDING undertaking. I wonder what you could do with my 1969 Chevy C-10 modern dash fantasy I have? Great work Joey!!!!!
colled96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 chesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enough

I love that. I don't think it looks out of place as much as it strikes us to see a tablet that's in portrait orientation rather than landscape.

Great work!

I can't figure out where to stick this thing.
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Thanks!! :-)

Old 06-11-2014   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 Firewall will become famous soon enoughFirewall will become famous soon enoughFirewall will become famous soon enoughFirewall will become famous soon enoughFirewall will become famous soon enoughFirewall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post

Sadly, after all the talking I do to Bing about how build pictures are vital to our business, this is the only picture he took of the trunk remodel.
Lmao.

Nice work as usual
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement