Old School Trunk Beautification Project - 1962 Mercury Monterey - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default Old School Trunk Beautification Project - 1962 Mercury Monterey

When it comes to working on classic cars, I have a love/hate relationship with them. one one hand, you usually get a pretty decent sized trunk where space isnt an issue; however, instead of working and integrating with stock trunk panels, you have to fabricate every single piece of wall, floor and trim...not to mention that older cars tend not be 100 percent symmetrical from left to right so just making a panel that fits the driver side may or may not fit the passenger side.

So it was with a groan that i started on this 1962 Mercury Monterey project...what really helped though was just how cool this car was! It is an extremely clean restomod project. infact, lets take a look at the car first before listing the goals.

everything on the car looks clean enough to eat food off, the engine, the exterior and even the entire undercarriage is immaculate. The car also rides on an air suspension and when lowered to the ground, the effect is jaw dropping.

here is the car in normal driving mode with the top up:

drop the top and slam her to the ground and she looks like this

and that engine:

so yeah, i think those pics says it all

anyway, onto the goal: yeah i said goal as in singular

the car already had part of a basic system installed, namely, a pioneer 99PRS in the glove box, a pair of kick panels housing some focal KRX 5.25s, and a simple prefab box in the trunk, all run off a Macintosh MC4000M...yes...the big boy!

We we tasked with creating a custom trunk that is clean and classy that matched the theme and appearance of the rest of the car, inside and out. thats it, about the only requirements was to have some kind of trunk light that activated off the trunk lid opening, and to use the the supplied leather and carpet from the interior upholstery upgrade in the build.

so with that in mind, lets first take a quick look at the three major components that were already installed when we received the car, the P99, which acts as the signal source and DSP for the entire system, and the two custom kicks housing the focal 5.25" comps:

and now, let us take a look at the trunk.

the overall theme is very simple, the trunk is now completely enclosed and upholstery on all sides with newly built trim panels. the front panel has a curve to it so it would cover the protruding trunk lid hinges and stand out a little from a typical flat walled build.

there is a material break on all the walls with carpet on the bottom and leather on top. the front wall also has a press fit trim panel, there is a simple sueded insert in there right now, but the idea is for the customer to use custom laser cut plexi or other materials so he can have it display any thing he wants by swapping the insert.

the back wall is full leather as its so short, with two embedded LED floodlights that work off a IR proximity switch embedded in the center cover panel near the trunk latch point. The floor is fully carpeted with a leather trim ring highlighting the big Mac amp.

basically, the idea was to be elegant and clean . if you are wondering about the sub, there is a 1.8 cubic foot sealed enclosure all the way at the front of the trunk, below the soft top, that fires forward, some pics of it will be shown later.

so here are the finished trunk pics:

and a few quick shots of the led flood lights when turned on:

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default Re: Old School Trunk Beautification Project - 1962 Mercury Monterey

so thats it...lets move onto the build pics

first up was the subbox, whcih you can see here under contruction...i loved the car so much i literally built it into the enclosure!

this is the finished box, looks like Wall-E ish i know, the shroud at the top is to prevent the cloth divider of the stop top to droop down and making contact with the subs, and the top portion that is carpeted is so the trunk lid bars dont buzz against the subbox.

two audiomobile gts 2110 10" subwoofers were chosen for their efficiency and good all around performance. the box fires forward so the customer can have good response with the top down, as the panels does a pretty good of sealing the trunk:

one thing i wanted to avoid was to drilling any holes into the floor pan as the under carriage is so clean...so the main foundation board here is attached by a dozen or so HD velcro strips, it is very sturdy and since everything else is wedged against the top and bottom of the side and front walls, the whole structure is very secure once everything is secured to each other.

here you see the box test fitted in its intended location at the front of the trunk:

perhaps the most difficult piece of the build was the front rim, as it is very wide and had to go around a wide variety of brackets and angles. after some test fitment, this rounded curved shape was chosen, and then i fabricated a frame that went around the enclosure:

once that part is settled, i position the side extensions and attached them to the original frame:

then i kerfed two 1/8" mdf panels so they would go over the curved frame:

the two boards were then secured to the frame, forming the rough shape of the front panel:

the backside of the kerfed boards were reinforced with fiberglass to give them strength:

then i molded in the edge for the break between leather and carpet, the press fit insert opening, and profiled the top of the panel so it would match the slightly irregular curvature of the top of the trunk, sanded all smoth, and ended with this piece:

here from the back you can see the reprofiled top edge to match the shape of the trunk opening, basically involved gluing strips of MDF and then sanding it down slowly, with many test fits in between, until i got it to be uniform:

and then, i wrapped the top half of the panel in customer supplied leather, and the bottom was the same carpet as the interior, carefully trimmed up to the ledge, forming the two tone look:

here are the side pieces, which consists of several stacks of MDF at the top, and a single piece of 3/4" mdf at the bottom. a giant round over bit was used to give the top its curvature, it also had to be slightly reprofiled to fit the lines of the trunk opening, and then, the same break ledge for carpet/vinyl was molded in:

these pieces were then wrapped int he same manner as the front panel, and two L brackets attached to secure the bottom to the supports underneath:

the two panels hide some vital components that were already installed in the car. the airride component on the driver side, and the battery and power distribution for the air ride on the passenger side:

this is the stack of mdf i used to form the cover panel at the center of the back trim piece, with a test fitment int he car:

after i was happy with the fitment, i wrapped some fleece around the shape, and applied resin, once that cured, a lot of body filler was applied and the entire shape sanded smooth. the recessed hole at the top is to house a IR proximity switch to turn on and off the LEDs:

the back panel is constructed out of several pieces of MDF, joint at a specific angle. and then the holders for the LED panels were molded into them:

it was then wrapped in a single piece of vinyl, the center panel also wrapped, and the two pieces joined together:

here are the two led panels and the front blank panel before upholstery:

and here are the two led holders after suede application, with the leds flushed into them:

here is the main floor panel and the press fit trim ring before upholstery:

and here ist he back of the floor piece after backfilling to make for a precise fit:

and here it is with both pieces upholstered. because the carpet is a fully backed non flexible piece, i used a piece of PVC welting, dyed to match the vinyl to line the backside of the floor panel to hide the side edge of the carpet:

and finally, a coupla quick shots of the wiring organization under the car, the customer had already run the cables back so i made sure they are neatly organized:

so thats it...a pretty different project for us, slightly out of my norm but after some hard work, i am really happy with the outcome.

as for how it sounds, with a lot of painted stuff on the interior, there tends to be some reflections, i was able to get the center image to be relatively stable on the dash...staging is decent, height is right above the dash with some slight rainbowing. the speaker can use a bit more power than the 4x100 that the mac is throwing at them but they do their job well. the subs sound pretty good and even with the top down, you can hear them pretty well. not a sound quality car by any means but it is not bad

so...next up, time to go back to the 21st century! Stay tuned

Bing

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 09-11-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Rep Power: 808 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn you guys do some fine work. I wish I could come hang around just to absorb some knowledge! Looking great.
GLN305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014   #4

Importer / Exporter

Rep Power: 5000 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

That's the perfect amp for that car.
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 146 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post

OK, what is the white wagon in the background, and is it just the pic or does the driver's rear wheel have hella positive camber? That thing looks interesting. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
then i kerfed two 1/8" mdf panels so they would go over the curved frame:

Wow. You kerfed 1/8 thick MDF? That's impressive!

That is a beautiful car (and I'm not a Ford guy), and the trunk turned out great. The thing I usually like about working on old cars is that they come apart easy and are pretty easy to run wires in.

Great work!

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 kgliner will become famous soon enoughkgliner will become famous soon enoughkgliner will become famous soon enoughkgliner will become famous soon enoughkgliner will become famous soon enoughkgliner will become famous soon enough

Excellent work Bing. I'm glad i listened to your recommendations on the build.
kgliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 gfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enough

stunning car and great work, very clean
gfbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 Lorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enough

some serious time spent on the table saw no doubt. beautiful car and work.
Lorin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 SSexpo03 will become famous soon enoughSSexpo03 will become famous soon enoughSSexpo03 will become famous soon enoughSSexpo03 will become famous soon enoughSSexpo03 will become famous soon enoughSSexpo03 will become famous soon enough

Impressive car!
SSexpo03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

Very nice.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 126 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Excellent work as usual and that is one of my all time favorite amps but I am really interested in that Audi with the four Focal subs.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

That car was suhweeet in person! The trunk build turned out great.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Excellent work as usual and that is one of my all time favorite amps but I am really interested in that Audi with the four Focal subs.
U may need to wait a bit longer haha

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 09-13-2014   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

That is an incredible looking car! Love the updated trunk, very nicely done.

bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement