BMW E46 Kick Refinish - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 benny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nice

Default BMW E46 Kick Refinish

had an installer friend re-mount/angle my kick panel speakers and build out panel covers after 5 years being installed.

getting close to being done now. he carpeted them tonight and little neodymium magnets will be here tomorrow to secure the grill panels. i wanted the panels to be big "not round" grills so you don't see the size/angle of the mids behind them.

hats off to my installer friend toby broadfield for the fantastic fab work.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

team hybrids : team brax-helix usa : team mobile audio plus : team strictly sound quality

Last edited by benny z; 06-25-2015 at 09:28 PM..
benny z is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 zacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: BMW E46 Kick Refinish

Fantastic! I've been lusting after your kickpanels for the last couple years, just haven't gotten down to doing them yet myself. I have a stick shift e46 330i. You definitely inspired me to go for the kicks in a little thing called love.

Do you like them more angled in? BTW I couldn't see the photo in your post.

'03 330i ZHP Sedan / Stock HK System (for now)
In boxes in the closet: HAT L1Pro R2 Tweets/Morel CDM54 mids/Intimid8er midbass/AEIB15AU/Mechman 240A HO Alternator/Zapco DRC-SL+DSP6+DC750.2(x4)+DC1100.1/DLS Iridium 6.3
zacjones99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 benny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nice

i honestly haven't listened enough yet to know - waiting to re-tune the car til the panels are finished, though i don't suspect they should change anything. the little bit of angle on them now *should* help with the upper midrange response, especially on the driver's side. they were flush mounted to the kick, firing straight across into the transmission tunnel. now i can "see" a lot more of the inside of the cone from the seat on that side.

i updated the original post with some more pics...do they work now?

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

team hybrids : team brax-helix usa : team mobile audio plus : team strictly sound quality

Old 06-25-2015   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 zacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enoughzacjones99 will become famous soon enough

Did you add or take away from the baffles of your original installation to get the angle?I remember they were firing straight across and had a really nice spot for a deadfoot next to the clutch. I thought that would be OK if I went 3-way. And nope I still can't see any of the photos through ie or chrome.

In boxes in the closet: HAT L1Pro R2 Tweets/Morel CDM54 mids/Intimid8er midbass/AEIB15AU/Mechman 240A HO Alternator/Zapco DRC-SL+DSP6+DC750.2(x4)+DC1100.1/DLS Iridium 6.3
Old 06-25-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Weird. What about from your phone? I see them in safari and tapatalk. :/

He added to them. It does bring them out about 3" in the rear and with the panel cover I definitely lose the dead pedal spot, but after 5 years without it anyway I won't miss it lol.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 06-25-2015   #6

DIYMA freshman

Maybe it's server related at work. Can't wait to see them. But I'll probaby just do them the way you started off, firing straight across, as I'm pretty used to having that dead pedal, and I'm thinking with mids/tweets in the A-pillar and sail I should be OK. What do you think?

Old 06-25-2015   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yep! If strictly midbass, shouldn't be a problem at all.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 06-25-2015   #8

DIYMA freshman

If you were to try and get a bigger driver in there for a 3-way, what would you choose between:
(A) Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r
(B) Exodus Anarchy
(C) Illusion Carbon C8

Do you think I'd have difficulty getting the Intimid8er's in there?

intimid8r melodic site:www.diymobileaudio.com - Google Search

They have a pretty big magnet on the back. I have a pair in the closet. Next option Exodus Anarchy-- nice but another big magnet on the back. Illusions would be an option if the others too tough to get in there. Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks. Zac.

Last edited by zacjones99; 06-25-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-26-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Man I can't say . I do remember the space we opened up behind the kicks was quite big...much bigger than it probably needed to be once I mounted the baffles. I'm confident an 8-10 will work. I keep teetering on putting L8s down there and replacing the tweeters with 3s.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 06-26-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

Love those covers. Somebody has some skill!

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015   #11

DIYMA freshman

Thanks Benny for your input and all the posts you've done. Fantastic work!

Old 06-26-2015   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 fullergoku will become famous soon enoughfullergoku will become famous soon enoughfullergoku will become famous soon enoughfullergoku will become famous soon enoughfullergoku will become famous soon enoughfullergoku will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to fullergoku

Looks incredible!! Makes me curious is there the same amount of space in a Bmw 5 series behind the kick panel area?
fullergoku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Yes, especially if it's an e39, there should be plenty of space there in the 5-series.

Got these little neodymium magnets to attach the grills. They are 1/4" by 1/8" and have a 2lbs pull each.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-01-2015   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Default BMW E46 Kick Refinish

Got a sneak peek at what the finished product should look like. They aren't quite finished yet, but here's current status.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-01-2015   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Those look nice!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

white 240sx Broadfield?
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yep, that's the Broadfield.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-02-2015   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 51 NealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enoughNealfromNZ will become famous soon enough

Looks very factory. Pleased with the sound ?

NealfromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 83 Old Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enough

'05 BMW M3 - Intravee, Alpine KCA-420i, Rocketfish BT via optic, PXA-H700, PG SD1300.5, BA Pro 6.4, ID8's
Old Skewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yeah, I've had the car back since last Thursday while he does the finish work on the panels. The new angles really help. I've been fine tuning slowly every day and it keeps getting better and better. The resolution is amazing and creates a very focused and lifelike image.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-03-2015   #21

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny z View Post
Yep, that's the Broadfield.
I used to see his build on NICOclub but I haven't seen it in a while. That car is spectacular.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I think we can call this done! Yes, my car is filthy. Better pics once I've cleaned her up some.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-09-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 07-09-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

gorgeous!

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_smith06 View Post
gorgeous!

Thanks! I'm very happy. He delivered exactly what I asked for.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement