Little project for dad, 84 C10 Widebody - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 148 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Little project for dad, 84 C10 Widebody

Awesome! Jason is hosting a meet in November over near Randleman/Archdale if you can make it.

2015 Fall NCSQ Meet - 07 November 2015 - near Greensboro, NC

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 258 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

How are you planning on attaching the dash?

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015   #28
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 47 1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
How are you planning on attaching the dash?
Easier to explain with a pic, do it tomorrow.
1FinalInstall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015   #29
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 47 1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FinalInstall View Post
Easier to explain with a pic, do it tomorrow.
The base is actually getting rebuild after changing the design so it will be a bit before I can photo. There is a base that the outer, stacked dash halves snap onto at the bottom. That's attached to the bracing with drill/screw inserts (sorry, don't know the name of them, def. not that) with 1/4 x .50" machine screws. The base goes up into the halves by roughly .75", then is flush with the outside edge of the halves. It's super tight, but I will probably still use a bit of router tape during the final instalation instead of glue. Just in case she needs to be pulled apart for a blown speaker.
Working on mid bass drivers today!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150814_120136.jpg (42.7 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg 20150814_120207.jpg (68.8 KB, 614 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Old 08-14-2015   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 258 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

in that second pic I see a bracket going to the cowl. I tied in there myself. There are also (in my 87 at least) two factory spots, one on each side of the cab that tied in to, but wasn't sure if yours had those as well.

Look forward to seeing the rest

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015   #31
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
in that second pic I see a bracket going to the cowl. I tied in there myself. There are also (in my 87 at least) two factory spots, one on each side of the cab that tied in to, but wasn't sure if yours had those as well.

Look forward to seeing the rest
Sorry, YES I built brackets that mount to the 2 lower oem mounts. Easily accessible and worked perfect. It is Build so every part can be easily removed and remounted. I thought the question pertained to the upper halves.
Old 08-27-2015   #32
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

More pics, changed a couple things since while I'm building, I'm learning!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150820_180115.jpg (78.2 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg 20150826_192058.jpg (50.5 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150826_211618.jpg (68.8 KB, 598 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Old 08-27-2015   #33
Upgrade Your Membership!

Food Pimp

Rep Power: 232 chefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!!

At the end of the day, it's just car audio man
chefhow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon
Position:
Manager/Fabricator

Rep Power: 146 TheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enough

Loving it!

I am still trying to find that Audison amp for your subs. They pop up here every now and then.

Still Lurkin'
TheDavel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015   #35

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Honest Juan Auto Care
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 25 jwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enough

Ohhhh yes! You have got me thinking so hard about my dash.

I'll be watching your Build for sure!
jwsewell01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015   #36
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Hi everyone,

Had to take some time off but I'm back at it and feeling a bit better. Been working on the dash this week and hopefully by the end of the week, I will start redesigning the center console/sub box. Going with a stacked design that will meet up to the center part of the dash. Going to get a bit funky with the interior of the sub box too, fallen in love with Randall K's designs. Also, looking at sub boxes built by guys like Jeremy @Spokane, EAS Dave and Kyle Golden, it just inspires me to do something better. I had a opportunity to speak with Dave and he mentioned that his console box, that was just artwork, sounded different, in a good way, than others he's built. It's just so much tedious, ball bustin' router work for a large center console/ported sub enclosure!

The center section of the dash will house whatever gauge setup I go with and some sort of head unit/controller. Originally I was sold on the Bit products, but now I'm thinking of something a little more user friendly for dad. After all, the audio part of this Build is my fix. The center section will actually be a bit wider and will overlap the outside dash innermost pieces. The center console sides will come up and meet the outermost center pieces and continue to the rear cab wall.

The one thing I would love some input on is midbass port placement. I originally thought if I have it come out of the top of the dash halves and reflect off of the windshield, it would help. Then I changed my mind and figured placing it under the 4" mid, on the flat part of the dash, keeping it as wide as possible would be best. I have included the tech sheet on the driver for anyone interested and the enclosure is exactly to these specs. The CDT HD-M6 is rated at 150wrms and it looks like it will be receiving 140w. Will be actively xover with the AV5.1k. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks guys, J

Thanks TheDavel, you know I have been thinking about the amp set up and I keep coming back to the idea of just buying a VOCE AV 5.1k to do the whole damn thing. Just sell off the 2 SRX2S's.
It's the exact Power setup I need for the CDT's: 75x2 4&tweet/ 140x2 6.5"midbass/ 1000x1 3 or 4-8's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash.1.jpg (48.2 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg Dash.3.jpg (62.8 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0701.jpg (47.6 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg Port.jpg (48.3 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg Dash.5.jpg (61.6 KB, 576 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HD-M6_07.pdf (273.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Old 11-08-2015   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Tripn88 will become famous soon enoughTripn88 will become famous soon enoughTripn88 will become famous soon enoughTripn88 will become famous soon enoughTripn88 will become famous soon enoughTripn88 will become famous soon enough

That work looks great!
Tripn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Working on the back side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DashRear.2.jpg (51.9 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg DashRear.1.jpg (40.3 KB, 527 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:53 PM..
Old 11-08-2015   #39
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripn88 View Post
That work looks great!
Thanks man, really appreciate it. Biggest thing I have ever attempted to Build and still learning how to use the router.
Old 11-09-2015   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon
Position:
Manager/Fabricator

Rep Power: 146 TheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So prior to doing research and finding out about incredible guys like Joey from 12VTools & Micah from SONUS, I had ideas for this build... ideas from 95'. Some of these pics are from before I bought the best tools in the marketplace from these 2. I'm apologizing ahead of time for copying Jeremy from Spokane & EAS Dave's sub box design in the near future.
No need to apologize, Me and Jamie are just guys like you and we love influencing others... More so, we love being influenced. Your Build is influencing us and thousands more out there!! Keep the dust a flying as long as you can!

Still Lurkin'
Old 11-09-2015   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
No need to apologize, Me and Jamie are just guys like you and we love influencing others... More so, we love being influenced. Your Build is influencing us and thousands more out there!! Keep the dust a flying as long as you can!
I need to edit that quote, it should have read "I'm going to attempt to copy..."!
Old 11-10-2015   #42
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Got the skeleton in place for some Sonus VERT layup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DashRearSkeleton.2.jpg (60.9 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg DashRearSkeleton.1.jpg (47.2 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:54 PM..
Old 11-10-2015   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Awesome! Jason is hosting a meet in November over near Randleman/Archdale if you can make it.

2015 Fall NCSQ Meet - 07 November 2015 - near Greensboro, NC
I am so upset I missed this, if you guys happen to meet up again any time soon please PM me. Would love to meet you guys. Also, if any of you are in the Winston area and would like to see the project, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 11-10-2015   #44
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Got some Vert on dash pieces today. They still need a final pass with some Matter, but finally this thing is starting to look like a dash!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DashVert.1.1.jpg (48.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg DashVert.1.jpg (54.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg DashVert.3.jpg (74.1 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg DashVert.2.jpg (49.8 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg DashVert.4.jpg (71.2 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg DashVert.5.jpg (46.5 KB, 512 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11-12-2015   #45
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Had to redesign how the dash pieces come apart yesterday. The top of the dash, all the way up by the windshield, would not clear the Speaker mounts when trying to remove (had a brain fart while installing...ugh). So the best thing I could come up with, was to attach it to the mount for the fronts halves. That way it can easily be removed and the 2 small seams will be very difficult to see since there so far forward and behind the dash humps.

While I had it out, took a pic of the midbass enclosure mounted up in the truck. Still need to figure out where to port the enclosure. It needs to be 2" x 13.8".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100.jpg (49.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg 106.jpg (24.4 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg 105.jpg (43.9 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:56 PM..
Old 11-12-2015   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon
Position:
Manager/Fabricator

More amazing progress! I'm surprised this Build isn't getting more attention. You are showcasing some incredible talent, attention to detail, progression of the hobby, etc.

Either way, I'm tuned in and looking for updates whenever you've got time to post them!

Still Lurkin'
Old 11-12-2015   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 robolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enough

RESPECT DUDE
robolop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

this is looking amazing!

deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015   #49
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
More amazing progress! I'm surprised this Build isn't getting more attention. You are showcasing some incredible talent, attention to detail, progression of the hobby, etc.

Either way, I'm tuned in and looking for updates whenever you've got time to post them!
Thanks Dave, that means a ton coming from you!!
Old 11-13-2015   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon
Position:
Manager/Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robolop View Post
RESPECT DUDE
This guy posting in your thread is about the biggest compliment one could receive!

Quote:
Thanks Dave, that means a ton coming from you!!
Coming from me, I'm a nobody... Robolop is the biggest legend around these parts! He's got to be Chris Yato's brother. If you haven't seen his BMW thread, you haven't lived!

Still Lurkin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement