Little project for dad, 84 C10 Widebody - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015   #51
pjc
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 pjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Little project for dad, 84 C10 Widebody

Not sure how I over looked this. Love what you having going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panny Bottlehead.... The rest... Who knows.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 54 1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Not sure how I over looked this. Love what you having going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! It's my fault, I started the post a bit ago then took 2 months off. Hopefully now that the build is 7 days a week it will gain some traction.

Positive feedback always fuels the fire. Not to mention I love opinions and input, positive or negative!
1FinalInstall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 54 1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough1FinalInstall will become famous soon enough

Wish me luck! This is the first time I have built up an edge to another part using 3M foam double sided tape for spacing. I'm about to remove it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (32.5 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (40.0 KB, 598 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-13-2015   #54

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 tkblazer will become famous soon enoughtkblazer will become famous soon enoughtkblazer will become famous soon enoughtkblazer will become famous soon enoughtkblazer will become famous soon enoughtkblazer will become famous soon enough

Loving the work so far and I can't wait to see more!
tkblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Very happy with how the edge turned out. The rear tape took a bit to get off since that piece was already attached to the mount, but got it out. Need to build up one of the rear corners, little triangle broke off when removing the tape but no biggie.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DashLip1.jpg (43.2 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg DashLip2.jpg (29.9 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Old 11-13-2015   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon/eAsy fab co.
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 152 TheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FinalInstall View Post
Very happy with how the edge turned out. The rear tape took a bit to get off since that piece was already attached to the mount, but got it out. Need to build up one of the rear corners, little triangle broke off when removing the tape but no biggie.
I think its looking great and the foam tape is perfect for vinyl gaps!

Look at Chris Yato's instagram and he has a post about why you will have detachment issues with fillers an MDF. Basically it boils down to the filler not being able to etch or absorb into the pores of the MDF. If you coat it with a light amount or resin first, it'll bond incredibly well... so well that the wood will break beyond the "joint" before the joint fails.

Still Lurkin'
TheDavel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavel For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (04-19-2017)
Old 11-14-2015   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robolop View Post
RESPECT DUDE
Means a lot coming from you. TheDavel was right, your BMW is INSANE! I spent over a hour last night reading 100 pages of your thread, incredible build! You built your own Vorsteiner hood, love it.
Old 11-14-2015   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
This guy posting in your thread is about the biggest compliment one could receive!

Coming from me, I'm a nobody... Robolop is the biggest legend around these parts! He's got to be Chris Yato's brother. If you haven't seen his BMW thread, you haven't lived!
You're right, they HAVE to be related! I plunged into the thread last night and the deeper you go, the more amazing it becomes. SERIOUS!
Old 11-14-2015   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:

Look at Chris Yato's instagram and he has a post about why you will have detachment issues with fillers an MDF. Basically it boils down to the filler not being able to etch or absorb into the pores of the MDF. If you coat it with a light amount or resin first, it'll bond incredibly well... so well that the wood will break beyond the "joint" before the joint fails.

Great tip, absolutely going to do this on the other side. Thanks brother!
Old 11-15-2015   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well I might of just solved my amp problem. A good friend finally gave in and is selling me his PPI Art A200, A404 and A600. Think I'm going to sell the Audison SRX2s and buy 1 more A600 and call it a day. I had a bit of a mishap and lost one of my SRX2s's. Currently they all work great but before installing them in this build, I would love to find someone to freshen them up. The only thing is I'm a little nervous that the A200 might not be enough for the 4 & tweet. Bridged the A404 is rated at 200x2 @ 4ohm, so thats perfect for the midbass drivers. The A600 is 600x1 @ 4ohm, so that will run 2-8's perfect. With the addition of 1 more A600, the subs should perform perfect when factoring in it's a small standard cab pickup. Originally I built the console for 4-8's in a sealed setup, then rebuilt it only using 2 subs in a ported set up (that's the enclosure in the pics currently). Now, using a stacked style enclosure, I can get 3 in there, maybe 4. I just don't think I need that many subs.

Everyone talks about how great these amps are and I do agree, but I have virtually no hands on knowledge with anything produced after 1999. Is something like a Audison VOCE 5.1k 5 channel a better, plus more efficient way to power this system?

Regardless, if anyone knows of a person/shop that is reputable and refurbish's old school amps, I would really appreciate the info. Also, I would love to find someone that can silkscreen the cases. Would love to paint them the color the truck's going (dark gray) and get them silk screened black & red from the black version of the Art Series.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (103.8 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg (60.2 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg (87.3 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg (84.0 KB, 561 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12-04-2015   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:

Back at it today with a package just arriving from US Composites! Going to follow the tip on Instagram from Chris Yato & yourself, thanks Dave!

Since this dash has been built to be fully removable for wrapping purposes, I needed to redesign the driver side lower half. Originally, I used .25 MDF to connect the stacked, routed pieces which worked perfect on the passenger side. Since the driver side has 2 sections, due to the steering column, the .25 wasn't rigid enough. Since I am on a budget, I have been saving a good bit of the scrap .75 MDF (after all, I do have a bed for storage) of reasonable size. These pieces came in handy for this part and worked perfect. Now, under the steering column there is a slot where a dow slides right into a groove allowing the 2 halves to align. This will have a pressure fit piece concealing it, once finished.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0029.jpg (54.1 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (47.6 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg dash pre resin.jpg (64.9 KB, 601 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-06-2015   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

So I had a bit of a brain fart Tuesday when I called US Composites to order some Polyester Resin, recommended by Chris Yato on his Instagram, to seal porous substrates like MDF. By accident, I ordered Thin Epoxy Resin: 4/1 ratio for fastest cure time and recommended for colder conditions. I was having a bit of a lifting issue on the upper dash halves where the VERT or Duraglass met the MDF. Per The Master, you apply a very thin coat of Polyester Resin then wipe off any access, while it's still wet apply your filler directly on top of the resin. The heat given off by both while they cure creates an incredibly strong bond, while also absorbing into the mdf.

Since I'm on a budget, I didn't want to toss the Epoxy Resin without at least trying a piece first. I had 2 goals, first I wanted to seal up the MDF before using any spreads and secondly, protect the MDF from my over sanding habits. Since the cure time is much longer with the Epoxy (vs Polyester), I let the resin completely dry prior to applying any spreads (different than Chris's technique due to product). I had some tin in the garage from a old project, a couple solar blankets, sheet of plastic, heater and a frame made out of 1x1's... presto a hot box. Here in NC it's in the 50's during the day but 30's at night. US Composites states the cure time for the 4/1 ratio is 3-4 hours but if the temp drops below 60 it can take twice as much time. The hot box stays over 90 degrees if the heaters on. After running the heater for an hour, then covering it up, it stays over 70 degrees for over 4 hours.

I have to say, I'm really happy with the results. Other than having to wait a couple hours for the pieces to cure (I leave them in the box overnight) it worked great and the spreads adhere much, much better. The best part is it completely fixed my lift issues. The spreads stick to the epoxy like glue and while you're sanding spreads, you have a buffer between the MDF and your sandpaper (big deal for me!). I lightly sanded the piece and applied Duraglass over some tongue depressors (end of the dash) and Sonus Matter over the front, needed to level off some low spots. Both dash tops now have epoxy on them and they feel much more rigid. This may be overkill, but since I don't have much experience using spreads, I found myself over sanding and the last thing I wanted to do was mess up the pieces I have already routed, glued and assembled! The epoxy is so much harder than the MDF not only does the spread bond better, it has given me a layer of protection before the happy sander destroys his work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hotbox1.jpg (56.3 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg Hotbox2.1.jpg (73.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg Hotbox2.jpg (39.7 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0043.jpg (36.0 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0046.jpg (38.4 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0044.jpg (26.0 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0047.jpg (28.0 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Old 12-06-2015   #63
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 132 ndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FinalInstall View Post
So I had a bit of a brain fart Tuesday when I called US Composites to order some Polyester Resin, recommended by Chris Yato on his Instagram, to seal porous substrates like MDF. By accident, I ordered Thin Epoxy Resin: 4/1 ratio for fastest cure time and recommended for colder conditions. I was having a bit of a lifting issue on the upper dash halves where the VERT or Duraglass met the MDF. Per The Master, you apply a very thin coat of Polyester Resin then wipe off any access, while it's still wet apply your filler directly on top of the resin. The heat given off by both while they cure creates an incredibly strong bond, while also absorbing into the mdf.

Since I'm on a budget, I didn't want to toss the Epoxy Resin without at least trying a piece first. More than anything, my goal was to seal up the MDF before using any spreads. Since the cure time is much longer with the Epoxy (vs Polyester), I let the resin completely dry prior to applying any spreads. I had some tin in the garage from a old project, a couple solar blankets, sheet of plastic, heater and a frame made out of 1x1's... presto a hot box. Here in NC it's in the 50's during the day but 30's at night. US Composites states the cure time for the 4/1 ratio is 3-4 hours but if the temp drops below 60 it can take twice as much time. With the box it stays over 90 if the heaters on. After running the heater for a hour, then covering it up, it stays over 70 degrees all night.

I have to say I'm really happy with the results. Other than a couple hour cure time it worked great and the spreads adhere much, much better plus, there is zero lifting issues. I lightly sanded the piece and applied Duraglass over some tongue depressors (build up the end of the dash), and Sonus Matter over the front to level off some low spots. Both tops are now done and they feel much more rigid. This may be overkill but since I don't have much experience using spreads, I found myself over sanding and the last thing I wanted to do was mess up the pieces I routered! The epoxy is so much harder than the MDF not only will the spreads bond better, it will help give me a layer of protection before the happy sander destroys his work.
I use Epoxy resin almost exclusively. I am a fan since it is far less pungent and lays up much better. The only 2 drawbacks that I have found is the cure time and I am no longer able to use chopped mat. Overall I am much more happy after using it because I dont smell aweful and my nasal cavity thanks me. My family also appreciates not having to smell the poly resin anymore emanating from the garage into the house.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
https://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/# ---http://www.cardomain.com/id/SRTJEEP
ndm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2015   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndm View Post
I use Epoxy resin almost exclusively. I am a fan since it is far less pungent and lays up much better. The only 2 drawbacks that I have found is the cure time and I am no longer able to use chopped mat. Overall I am much more happy after using it because I dont smell aweful and my nasal cavity thanks me. My family also appreciates not having to smell the poly resin anymore emanating from the garage into the house.
"FROM THE GARAGE INTO THE HOUSE!" +1
Old 12-07-2015   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Checking out the look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0049.jpg (39.2 KB, 561 views)

Last edited by imjustjason; 12-08-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Old 12-07-2015   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon/eAsy fab co.
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 152 TheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura about

I like it! It's like a big wave guide in ways.

Still Lurkin'
TheDavel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 Black Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enough

Wow, can't believe I missed this one. What a very interesting build, especially considering your using CDT (love them).

Have you figured out your issue with the port for the M6s? I have studied the up on them quite a bit for a build I was going to use on and they actually prefer small sealed for solid MB impact. Have you tried them in any enclosures and see how they perform for you and if you like the sound in the particular enclosures?

I haven't had the opportunity to hear them in ported or IB, so this will be interesting to see. Definitely tuned in.

2013 Dodge Ram (under construction)
Black Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 21 Aerodynamic will become famous soon enoughAerodynamic will become famous soon enoughAerodynamic will become famous soon enoughAerodynamic will become famous soon enoughAerodynamic will become famous soon enoughAerodynamic will become famous soon enough

One little expression WoooooooooooW! Some fabrication skills you have! That's smoking hot install!
Aerodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 robolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enoughrobolop will become famous soon enough

Looking good, and I can't wait to see more.
Are you gonna paint it?
robolop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rain View Post
Wow, can't believe I missed this one. What a very interesting build, especially considering your using CDT (love them).

Have you figured out your issue with the port for the M6s? I have studied the up on them quite a bit for a build I was going to use on and they actually prefer small sealed for solid MB impact. Have you tried them in any enclosures and see how they perform for you and if you like the sound in the particular enclosures?

I haven't had the opportunity to hear them in ported or IB, so this will be interesting to see. Definitely tuned in.
I actually spoke to Ken (CDT) Friday for recommendations. Figured who better, right! He told me to actually port them forward, towards the firewall on the backside of the enclosure. I never would have thought that, but when the guy that built the speakers tells you something, you listen.

I thought it would be interesting to have a midbass driver that plays a bit lower than most systems. It may be a huge mistake, but I am excited to see how it sounds with just the 3 way set playing. I was hoping to roll the HDM6 off around 60-70hz. My thinking was to get as much sound emanating from one central spot as possible. I'm not a pro so please be easy on me, I'm sure I'm wrong I just haven't seen many systems built like this and thought it would be interesting. I am very nervous about the actual drivers placement. I think they're to far center, but too late now. The question comes down to will they sound better then if they were in the door with a set of legs in the way? I haven't ported the enclosures yet, so trying them sealed first sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-08-2015   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robolop View Post
Looking good, and I can't wait to see more.
Are you gonna paint it?
As of right now, the dash will be leather or vinyl. Really want leather but I don't want anything sewn, pretty sure it can be done. The dash inserts, egg like pieces, will be either satin/eggshell silver or gloss silver. The snap in pieces will be either gloss black or carbon. I haven't figured what finish to do the actual speaker flush in panels, green tape. I love how you finished your fan shrouds in carbon! Pretty sure it will be some sort of paint or overlay carbon.

BTW, thanks again for the kind words. Having guys of your level compliment this build really make a guy feel great!
Old 12-08-2015   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rain View Post

Quick question, have you heard the QES-820 8" subs? If not maybe any of the QES subs?
Forgot to mention, this build was down for so long due to my health issues that CDT designed a new tweeter that's much nicer than what I was using. So I'm swapping out the DRT26 silk for the new ES1200is audiophile tweeters! Ken loves these new tweeters so they're a must have!

Last edited by 1FinalInstall; 12-08-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-08-2015   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
One little expression WoooooooooooW! Some fabrication skills you have! That's smoking hot install!
Thanks! I really appreciate it, really wish I would have gone to a Sonus training session before I started this. If I try to go now, I'm worried I would throw the whole thing away and start from scratch once I got home.

Thank goodness for Instagram, Facebook and some really good guys that have been very generous with their knowledge.
Old 12-08-2015   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
I like it! It's like a big wave guide in ways.
If I could only remember who gave me the idea....

I've read so many things about front waves that I'm confused. If I were to ripple the face of the surface, you think it would be better than if I keep it smooth?
Old 12-08-2015   #75

Importer / Exporter

Rep Power: 5000 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
More amazing progress! I'm surprised this build isn't getting more attention. You are showcasing some incredible talent, attention to detail, progression of the hobby, etc.

Either way, I'm tuned in and looking for updates whenever you've got time to post them!
I think it's the small thumbnail pics, people are inherently lazy, so I made them all big. Worth it, great looking work.
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement