Mercedes-Benz E320T, 2000 - SQ Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Mercedes-Benz E320T, 2000 - SQ Build

Hi everyone!

Time for a new install. Had an almost year long hiatus from doing anything related to audio and suddenly I had relapse and decided to install some "basic" stuff in my winter car. Well, that "basic" system kinda snowballed into a full 7ch active install - as usual I might add...

The Car is a Mercedes-Benz E320T (V6 engine with 224hp), year 2000. The last Mercedes I had, the 280E from 1993 had an automatic transmission failure and I had to let it go. With over 170k miles I got it really cheap, I only payed like $600 for it. No issues except the damn rust in doors, fenders and about everywhere. I've fixed most of it now but it needs a paintjob which I hope I can pull off myself.

The system is kinda interesting because I got a lot of the stuff for free. All the amps, subs, cables and mids costed me nothing. The midranges are cheap drivers and the tweeters come from my last install.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The system consist of;

*HU & DSP; Pioneer P99RS

*Amp 1; MDS Classic 4ch amp (mid 90's). The MOSFETs on the amplifying stage were shot and so were a few smaller resistors. Replaced them with FETs from a spare board I had and replaced all the larger electrolytes while I was at it. The amp did 92Wrms@4ohms and 151Wrms@2ohms below 0,1% THD. At 12,7V

*Amp2; Kenwood KAC-7203. Was working when I got it. Connections are stuff was a bit oxidized so I refurbished it some. Looks as new now. A strong 2x180Wrms@4ohms and 2x255Wrms@2ohms below 0,1%THD. At 12,7V.

*Amp3; SPL Dynamics ICE-3500D. A real monster amp, was also working when I got it. However the amp has been mistreated, scratches all over and looks kinda ugly overall. Hid it behind the sub box so that doesn't annoy me. Never tested the output, but it claims to be 0,5ohm stable with 3200W output. At 4ohms which at I load the amp, it supposedly outputs around 700W, which is plenty. Has some kinda of clip prevention circuit which is kinda neat. It also got a PEQ control and both LPF and HPF filters.

Midwoofers; audio System AS-165C. I believe they are made by Gladen. An awesome mid with crazy output. Haven't measured these yet but it's coming as soon as I get my new mic and preamp. They are mounted in stock locations with a baffle modifier.

Midranges; Vifa TC9. Amazing cheap 3,5" driver. Performs like a high-end driver. Fits perfectly into stock locations on the dash corners. I have tested these previously here: Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements

Tweeters; Gladen SQX. Used in my previous Mercedes. A low distortion, great performing driver. Fits behind stock sail panels. Previously tested here: Gladen SQX System

Subs; Taken from a Logitech Z-5500 system, well actually two of them. The drivers are produced by Tang-Band and is very similar to the WT-644F. Very clean sounding drivers, suitable for vented alignments.

Cables; OFC 4ga for the sub amp and OFC 8ga for the other two amps. Battery is behind the rear seat so no lengthy cable runs. Decent looking psuedo balanced RCAs and ordinary 12ga OFC Speaker cables.

-------------------------------------------------------------

All drivers are mounted in stock location. So this is basically a somewhat steathy stock looking setup, except the sub enclosure that is.

Goal is, like my other builds; SQ oriented systems that can get loud with low perceived distortion. The system is almost completed, took me less than 3 days to pull this install off. That's probably the quickest Build in any of my cars. I will have to go back and fix a few things though, I kinda rushed the dampening in the left door and will have to remove the door panel again to fix the small but annoying rattling, probably from the vacuum hose to the central lock system. I want to measure the midwoofer anyway so I'll do the dampening and pull the driver at the same time. I also got a lot of tuning to do, it's a pretty solid tune as of now but it can get better - I hope.

I will also pull the left midrange driver and experiment with some acoustic wool behind the driver. I also need to investigate where two high Q peaks in the 4-5kHz area are coming from, they are clearly audible and annoying on some songs. So far I've concluded that it's not the speakers themselves causing it. I will hopefully shoot a few videos later on too.

My memory card containing most of the pictures somehow found its way into my uncles car. So I'm currently waiting for him to return it to me lol. Here's what I got so far on my phone;

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -

Last edited by Hanatsu; 02-09-2016 at 05:12 PM..
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz E320T, 2000 - SQ Build

Building the Subwoofer:

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 02-09-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Installed an "Aeroport" on the inside too, was getting a bit of turbulence. Made a good difference!

Some lining around the port and a stripe to keep it in place.

Old 02-09-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Vent tuning:

You can easily find out the enclosure tuning (Fb) by checking the impedance phase, at Fb the phase is 0deg.

This shows the effects of stuffing a vented enclosure. The impedance peaks goes down in both frequency and "amplitude". It also kills some higher frequency resonances, sometimes visible in the impedance response.

This shows initial vent length (green) and (purple) after I shortened the vent.

I actually wanted to Build a 4th order isobaric bandpass box initially, but my laziness got the best of me and I went with an ordinary BR box. The enclosure is a 50lit net volume with a Fb of ~34-35Hz. I only made a really quick model in Hornresp of the vented design and forgot to save the graphs.

This was the original plan, the 4th order Iso-BP box (perhaps I'll try this out with some other drivers I have laying about later):

Old 02-09-2016   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 31 Kazuhiro will become famous soon enoughKazuhiro will become famous soon enoughKazuhiro will become famous soon enoughKazuhiro will become famous soon enoughKazuhiro will become famous soon enoughKazuhiro will become famous soon enough

Very nice work on the box. I would never have considered the logitech woofers, great thrifting!

The Old : Kenwood eXcelon X599 --> Massive Audio Core-1 --> 2 x Fusion FP-1404 -- > NVX XSPTW | Dayton RS-100 | Exodus Anarchy | Soundstream EXACT 12"

The New: Nexus 9 optical out --> Zapco DSP-Z6III --> Soundstream Refs --> RAM2 | RAM6 | 2 x dbDrive K3 12D4 in IB
Kazuhiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 42 Alextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enough

Good you came over all your technical problems and in an installing mood now

What about moisture/temperature withstand of these Logitech drivers? Paper cones?

Alpine CDA137BTi, Alpine CHA-S604, Hidizs AP100, Meridian Explorer DAC, Eton PA 4506,3way SO Audio front, APL1 sound processor, Peerless XLS 10'', JL Audio 500/1 monoblock
Alextaastrup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextaastrup View Post
Good you came over all your technical problems and in an installing mood now

What about moisture/temperature withstand of these Logitech drivers? Paper cones?
Untreated paper, yeah.

Not that bad as many thinks though, used these types of cones in doors even without damage for years. Depends on how humid the climate is I guess =/

Old 02-10-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Here's where I put my amps...

Not really done here yet. I need to clean some of the wiring up. It's how it looks right now anyway.

More is coming tomorrow...

Old 02-10-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Good you came over all your technical problems
Yeah... check out what my old preamp did:

Got a new one today.

Old 02-10-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 172 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this one shape up.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 42 Alextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Yeah... check out what my old preamp did:

Got a new one today.
Which one (old and new)?

It was a catastrofy when I tried to use a microfone with built-in sound card of the DELL notebook. The range of dips and peaks were up to 12dB and the APL measurements and correction done were simply owfull. One should be very carefull with such stuff.

Alpine CDA137BTi, Alpine CHA-S604, Hidizs AP100, Meridian Explorer DAC, Eton PA 4506,3way SO Audio front, APL1 sound processor, Peerless XLS 10'', JL Audio 500/1 monoblock
Old 02-11-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Which one (old and new)?

It was a catastrofy when I tried to use a microfone with built-in sound card of the DELL notebook. The range of dips and peaks were up to 12dB and the APL measurements and correction done were simply owfull. One should be very carefull with such stuff.
Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite

The old one broke for some reason but I got good warranty on the new one so I bought another one (same model). When it worked it was really clean, -130dB noise floor well above 20kHz.

Last edited by Hanatsu; 02-11-2016 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-2016   #13

DIYMA Novice

Great preamp.Strange it broke.

Old 02-14-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I got my USB stick back with my pictures now... so here goes;

Old drivers, looks half-rotten to me;

Pretty well damped stock door panel...

Interior:

Old 02-14-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Midrange drivers;

Tweeters;

Lots of space pulling wires through to the door, very easy to do.

Old 02-14-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Mid stock placement... I damped this and forgot to take pictures of it for some reason. I'll take some pics over the other door when I remove the driver later.

Old 02-14-2016   #17

DIYMA Novice

Deadening of the front doors - if any stock? Are you going to strengthen them with some alu-profiles or something else?

Are there any special (technical or economical) reason for choosing Gladen?

Looking forward to see the end of this great install work.

Old 02-14-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Deadening of the front doors - if any stock? Are you going to strengthen them with some alu-profiles or something else?

Are there any special (technical or economical) reason for choosing Gladen?

Looking forward to see the end of this great install work.
*I used alubutyl 4mm "Silent Coat" on the outer door metal as well as 12mm closed cell foam on top of that behind the driver. I also used liquid sealant around the Speaker baffle to keep it airtight against the back. The door panel actually seals around the driver so the entire door doesn't need it be sealed. The right side door is dead-silent in terms of rattling and vibrations and the driver got full output down to ~50Hz. Amazing mids, I can push them past Xmax without much audible distortion - I will make a real test of them later...

*I had the Gladen in my previous install and they performed great, had them laying around so why not use them?

I will take proper pictures of the left side door when I remove the speaker.

Test here if you wanna read: TEST

Old 02-14-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Awesome... turns out that the preamp wasn't the cause of those distortion peaks. It was the microphone, the tip of the mic has come loose and causing the signal to be overloaded. Well, the mic is 6 years old and it's time to replace it.

Ordered one of these;

Sonarworks XREF 20

Heard that the newer ECM8000 mics have worse quality than mine, this one is individually calibrated and got pretty good specs.

Old 02-15-2016   #20

DIYMA Novice

True about ECM8000, but you might be Lucky anyway.

BHW I have calibrated mine by myself using B&K specroanalyser model L2250. Works fine after 3 years.

But there are sometimes issues with input port of the preamp (t-bone) - should be repaired soon I think (if I manage to dissemble it without distroying the whole shit).

Old 02-16-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

My builds always seem to snowballing into advanced, time consuming, expensive projects... Well, I got myself another APL1 unit to put in this car. I've gotten too used to my other Car to be pleased with any form of "standard" setup... and that does of course mean I need a stand-alone DSP as well. Sooo, I bought a MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8 as well.

Another thing I might do is to mod the tweeter sail panels. The plastic grill causing the upper midrange peaking after further investigation. I'm thinking of fiberglassing them so I can aim the drivers a little better and at the same time get rid of the stock grill messing up the response.

I also caught some form of flu or something, so I won't be messing around in the garage in a few days. That doesn't stop me from coming up with awesome plans though

Well on the "to-do list";

*Make new RCA cables between DSP, APL1 and amps.
*Properly dampen the left door
*Fiberglass the sail panels to improve the tweeter response. Maybe even trying out if some other tweeter will fit. I got a few alternatives to choose from.
*Need to Build some form a rack to hold amps and the new processors.
*Clean up wiring in the trunk.
*Tuning...

Old 02-17-2016   #22

DIYMA Novice

Hope you will be soon healthy again. God bedring!

Old 02-17-2016   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Got my new microphone now. Looks great, weighs more than the ECM8000 and got a bit more quality feel to it. I really like how they supply an individual calibration file to it, saves me the trouble.

It's definitely more linear than the ecm8000 (green), especially in the high frequencies.

Old 02-17-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Pics:

Old 02-20-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Little update:

I modified the midrange Speaker grills. They messed up the response, after the fix the response cleared up, much less combing now.

I also added a little more dampening wool, noticed that sound leaked out left of the instrument cluster.

The hole was too small as seen here.

Drilled it up a little more...

Made a seal around the cone to prevent leakage from the sides.

Leakage between instrument cluster and the piece of wood there...

My favorite tool. That extender is perfect for screws near the window.

Turned out quite nice. Sounds better too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement