Lanson's 2015 Durango R/T build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 916 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Lanson's 2015 Durango R/T build

Well the garage is now cleared of the Vette I was working on, so it is time for a new project. How about my own Durango? Seems time, since I've had the truck about a year and I'm thoroughly loving it. There's not much research out there on this platform, though Bradknob did a fantastic job archiving/researching the Grand Cherokee version of this truck, the Durango is a bit different. In an effort to help as many people as I can as I go on my own building journey, I've decided to measure, photograph, and comment on as much as I can. It will take much longer but one thing I have with this build is time, so I say let's go for it.

First up, I'm beginning the exploratory phase. This front speaker panel / defroster vent panel pops out with minimal effort. I simply used a plastic panel popper, and this popped right out.

The speaker opening in the panel is approximately 2.8"

The sun sensor measures approximately 0.92" wide on the top.

And has about .69" on the inside mounting point

(I measured those in case I try to mount a tweeter in the same spot, and transplant the sensor to the blank panel below)

The blank panel measures about 1.42"

This is the center channel speaker

It measures about 3.43" in diameter

It is about 1.85" deep

The speaker's height from the mounting point is .33"

The speaker's mounting holes are almost exactly 3.9" from each other, center to center.

The speaker's magnet diameter is 2.38"

The speaker mounting depth is only 1.75"

The area under the speaker is very cramped!

Just for fun I tried placing a CSS 4.5" midrange (the VWR126), and was immediately prevented from placing it due to the magnet not fitting in. I didn't expect it to "work" but I did want to see the first place I'd get stuck. I think I could put a shallow 4" driver in there but with the speaker opening only ~2.8", it clearly would not benefit from a larger diameter. However, just looking at it, I'd say maybe a very powerful ~3" driver could do the job, like the Fountek FR89EX 4ohm https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...l-range-4-ohm/ or the GR Research LGK 1.0 LGK 1.0 which has a mounting depth of 1.75", so it would clear with a mounting plate. Another option could be a Scanspeak Discovery 10F, for instance. Of all these, I've installed and used the FR89EX and it is a great driver.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 916 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Lanson's 2015 Durango R/T build

The next area I felt like digging into was the D-pillar speaker panels

Here's the backside of the panel

Here's the speaker laid bare

Close!

So what we learned with those is they are identical to the center, and the depth / clearances are similar.

Next up, the trunk area

Gotta move this, believe this is the TPMS transceiver for the rear

Depth is about 7 1/4" at the rearmost spot

The whole area is almost exactly 36" wide

Shape with the carpeting, driver's side

It is about 20" long in the center from the backside of where the seats mount

And about 18" on the ends

The top panel is 1.5" deep, and can possibly be reused if I'm crafty enough

So the gameplan so far is to run the Image Dynamics 6x9 midbass drivers, a quality tweeter in the factory location, and build up the rest of the system to match acoustically. Of course the sub side of things will get a nice "bump" as well, hopefully all under the factory floor height. That's the target, as historically most of my builds are full-stealth systems with full trunk usability.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
Old 05-27-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Here we go!

What the initial plan? 2 way front with center? Rear fill?

I like the plan to document your findings for the people. I aim to do the same but I get a little too lazy to get as detailed as you seem to have done so far, great job.

How about some pics of the ride.
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradknob View Post
Here we go!

What the initial plan? 2 way front with center? Rear fill?

I like the plan to document your findings for the people. I aim to do the same but I get a little too lazy to get as detailed as you seem to have done so far, great job.

How about some pics of the ride.
Sure! Interior is the Radar Red, which looks a bit intense in photos but in person it is glorious.

This stock head unit can't be replaced

Only mods so far are mats, modified mud guards, and wider 20x9 "SRT Goliath" rep wheels.

And system gameplan is to use my MS-8, Arc KS900.6, some sort of powerful 5ch (like the Powerbass XMA maybe, checking with Majik on that), some Image Dynamics midbass 6x9's up front, a low-playing small tweeter that fits inside or right on top of the factory tweeter mounts (like you did with your Audiofrogs, Brad), Sundown SD3 12", and for the 3.5" drivers I'm honestly torn between going for a fullrange (like LGK or Fountek) or just go with quality 3.5" coaxial car audio speakers. System configuration should be two-way with center, rear fill + d-pillar fill in a mix by adjusting the gains on the extra amp channels. The MS-8 + adjustable gains on each set of channels should get me good surround fill out of those 4 speakers (rears doors + d-pillars.)

Old 05-27-2016   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 MoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enough

Hell yeah! Ready to see what you do with the platform, especially after seeing how the Vette came out. Guess it was your build thread that I caught on DodgeDurango.net yesterday.

Great looking ride...but I'm admittedly a little biased.

With keeping everything below the rear cargo floor height do you have any plans to relocate the jack and tire tools? Or would you build around them? Relocating allows for use of more space up to the back of the 3rd row seat brackets. I was thinking about that and building a pass-through to allow access to the spare tire release.

The sensor on the stock cargo tray controls the proximity sensors on the doors and the locking buttons located on the handles. When disconnected, those will not function on my 2015 R/T.

2015 Dodge Durango R/T - Audio build log - Morel - Exodus - Sundown - JL Audio - Zapco - KnuKonceptz - Stinger
MoparMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 100 PorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enough

Poor guy has to drive his ST while he builds his RT =D, sub'd

'15 Focus ST, SI M25, TM65v1, BM MKiv x2, ARC 1200.6, JBL MS 8
PorkCereal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMike View Post
Hell yeah! Ready to see what you do with the platform, especially after seeing how the Vette came out. Guess it was your build thread that I caught on DodgeDurango.net yesterday.

Great looking ride...but I'm admittedly a little biased.

With keeping everything below the rear cargo floor height do you have any plans to relocate the jack and tire tools? Or would you build around them? Relocating allows for use of more space up to the back of the 3rd row seat brackets. I was thinking about that and building a pass-through to allow access to the spare tire release.

The sensor on the stock cargo tray controls the proximity sensors on the doors and the locking buttons located on the handles. When disconnected, those will not function on my 2015 R/T.
Ahh MoparMike, I'm glad you're on the DIYMA forum and surprised I didn't take notice of that before. To answer your questions, I definitely will be keeping the jack/tire tools in the vehicle but I'll likely be relocating them in a simple bag, and shove them in an unused corner of the trunk-to-be. I'll likely build the pass-through to the spare tire release as well, or make a hinge or something, we'll see.

Oh hey, I was curious how that install shop worked with the D-pillar signal which is supposed to be the backup beeping noise if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkCereal View Post
Poor guy has to drive his ST while he builds his RT =D, sub'd
Ha! This may end up being true but since my wife much prefers the Durango, I have to basically make it drive-able at the beginning of the week, and work on it over the weekends (probably.)

Old 05-27-2016   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 21 glockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enough

Always enjoy following your builds. I read your entire flex build over on Ecoboost performance forum. Sub'd
glockcoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 MoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Ahh MoparMike, I'm glad you're on the DIYMA forum and surprised I didn't take notice of that before. To answer your questions, I definitely will be keeping the jack/tire tools in the vehicle but I'll likely be relocating them in a simple bag, and shove them in an unused corner of the trunk-to-be. I'll likely build the pass-through to the spare tire release as well, or make a hinge or something, we'll see.

Oh hey, I was curious how that install shop worked with the D-pillar signal which is supposed to be the backup beeping noise if I recall.
I haven't played around with any of the other signal wires yet. We were just trying to get an idea of where to start. Your idea of keeping the rear channels is interesting especially with things like the rear sensors. Don't know what I'll do about that yet. Or the center channel which seems to handle the hands-free calls.

I will be doing my own build and am just lucky to have a friend who is willing to share some tools and his knowledge. My plan is a lot like Brad's, a 3-way in the front with mids in the pillars and stock locations for tweet and midbass. I sold a pair of SD2 12's that were in my Ram and picked up a pair of 10" SD-3's that I can't wait to hear. I've done some planning before I starting taking things apart and begun to cut some MDF today but rain ended that. Hopefully I'll start my build thread in the next couple of days and have something to share.

2015 Dodge Durango R/T - Audio build log - Morel - Exodus - Sundown - JL Audio - Zapco - KnuKonceptz - Stinger
Old 06-01-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Moving forward with the build, I started a design and immediately scrapped it, realizing that I need to get creative with passive radiators and such. Anyway, the current list of gear either on its way or already in my hand:

Amps - Arc KS900.6 for front channel duties, Arc K500.1 mini for sub duty at 2ohm, and a late entry, the Power Acoustik Crypt mini amp, the CA4-1600d, to power the rear door and D-pillar speakers off a shared channel set on the MS-8.

Sub - a single Sundown SD3 10, dual 4 ohm. It will be working with two Creative Sound APR10 passive radiators, in as big a box as I can give them.

Processor -JBL MS-8

Speakers - Image Dynamics 6x9 midbass in front doors, Creative Sound LD22 tweeters in the sails, rear speakers undetermined but will find out soon, D-pillar speakers likely still stock and barely used, center channel is Wavecor FR090WA01, a 3 1/2" fullrange 4 ohm unit that looks pretty boss.

Its coming together! My biggest fear is running completely out of room. That's why I ordered one of the smallest sub amps and an additional tiny 4 channel amp to go with my already-existing amp and processor. The packaging of all of this will be intense, plus it still has to look good lit up!

Old 06-01-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Sounds like it will be a fun build. I'm Intrigued by the passive radiator idea. I've got a 10" with PR in living room and it sounds amazing.

I actually really like the red interior. Ur right tho, in pics it's a little much but in person its perfect.
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Update time, we start with this:

And I decided to carefully knife out the factory carpet to get to bedrock, so to speak. I'll be adding deadening (not sure if I'll pull out the stock stuff, it is really thorough) but this is the general trunk shape.

I decided to downfire, with a 2 1/2" spacer placed first

Had to put a slight cut in the spacer, to clear these drain things

This is the preliminary starting board. It might end up shorter than this, but this is maximum length to clear the spare tire wrench thing

Here's the reason for all the effort.

I realize that can be very hard to see, so I'll just describe. What we have here are 3 plots, each one with an 80 hz, 4th order LR slop on the Lowpass. The blue plot is a standard SD-3 10 D4 at 500W with a sealed box, about .7 cubic feet. The orange plot is a pair of SD-3's with the same 500W, with a bit larger box. The red plot is a single SD-3, and a pair of Creative Sound 10" PRs with added weight of 360 grams each, with a relatively small box of about .7 cubic feet (will try for bigger), just wanted to show the potential performance difference.

With equal power, the PR setup gains 2.6dB over a single sealed at 60hz, 3.6dB at 50hz, and after that the PR setup beats even a pair of 10's. So at 40hz, 4.4dB gain over single, and 30hz gets a 3.4dB gain over single. Things start evening out after that. So the idea with the PR set is to get that boost without taking much extra space. If it works out poorly, I'll just rebuild the box with a different set of subs, and write this off as an experience.

Old 06-01-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 hot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura about

My wife is looking at a Durango for her next car- so I'm watching this one.... and taking lots of notes
hot9dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

AdrianP89

12V Company:
Best Buy
Position:
MECP Advanced Tech

Rep Power: 125 the727kid will become famous soon enoughthe727kid will become famous soon enoughthe727kid will become famous soon enoughthe727kid will become famous soon enoughthe727kid will become famous soon enoughthe727kid will become famous soon enough

In for this, my Ram is set up very similar for the front stage. Have you checked depth for the XS69?
the727kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
In for this, my Ram is set up very similar for the front stage. Have you checked depth for the XS69?
I have not, but most fit guides peg it around 3.75" of workable depth. I believe the XS69 are "only" 3.6, so hopefully I'll be good. I am acquiring these speakers from a friend, whom we purchased these for his Tundra before reading of the insanely shallow door requirements. He's been holding on to these in case he sells his truck and buys something with some room in the doors, but it looks like he's sticking with the Tundra. If I don't absolutely love them, I'll migrate to a 3-way using pillars like my Flex had. I'm getting better and better at making pillars.

Old 06-02-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Tiny update time, I didn't have much time to actually work on the truck since my water heater failed and I was scrambling.

Anyway, my KS500.1 mini came in. I wrapped it in shrink wrap to protect it during fabrication, and happened across a great new home for it.

There's sufficient clearance when the seat is up

And plenty when the seat is folded down as well

A small but important victory in the space battle, and ones like that will let me build a bigger subwoofer box which will make it more efficient with the passive radiators, and capable of a lower tune as well. The big space hogs are the MS-8 and the KS900.6, and there's not much I can do about that.

Anyway, my KS500.1 mini came in. I wrapped it in shrink wrap to protect it during fabrication, and happened across a great new home for it. Some other goodies are on their way, but they are taking slower routes I guess. This Saturday my goal is to make it down to my upholstery supplies place and let them find me a match to my red leather interior, so I can get some beauty in that trunk area.

Old 06-05-2016   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

New gameplan, I scored a much more powerful sub amp (and some other goodies) and I'm ditching the PR setup to run two SD10's in a sealed config. With the additional power I'll get the SPL I was expecting with the PR setup, very similar to MoparMike's setup at this time. I predict our setups will look quite similar near the end, but it isn't on purpose, in fact I think it is more just how this vehicle "wants" to be built.

The PR setup would have been cool but more power with more active cone area is always better if it is available. If I was forced to keep my power level the PR solution would still be implemented.

This weekend I started on my new plan, and came across a semi-decent way to do it. Turns out the rear interior trunk panel (the one the covers the sub) is "only" about $98 online brand new, oem so I decided to take a chance and cut it up. I did this because my design plan has me keeping the factory top cover, and the best way I've found to keep it is to also keep the trunk interior panel.

This is what it looks like on top, just like stock. But underneath, this is the initial trim I did to make it work.

I trimmed much further, to get a somewhat consistent cut around the part. I startted with as big a panel as I could, but quickly I realized that my equipment is just too large for this.

With the part trimmed, I have 5" of clearance (4.25" of side, .75" top board) to make a box.

Based on the fact I need to mount my processor, my KS900.6, and some other parts, I needed to change my box shape. This is what I came up with as a solution. This gives up a bit of airspace but it make it possible to mount all my equipment at least.

Before I packed it in, I soldered up my speaker terminals

My other amps should be here tomorrow or so, which will let me figure out the final mounting design.

Old 06-05-2016   #18

DIYMA Novice

Interesting idea to keep the stock cargo cover and cutting the tray to retain the mounting points and lip that it rests on. Props on cutting up some stock panels. Haven't had the nerve to do that yet. Any concerns about rattles ?

How much depth will you have in the box? It looks like you said 4.25" height in the walls and .75" thick top plate for a total of 5". If you are still planning to run the SD3's they need 4.5" of depth at a minimum. Or you could route out the top panel of the box to counter sink the magnet. Just checking to see it I read that right?

Old 06-05-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Interesting idea to keep the stock cargo cover and cutting the tray to retain the mounting points and lip that it rests on. Props on cutting up some stock panels. Haven't had the nerve to do that yet. Any concerns about rattles ?

How much depth will you have in the box? It looks like you said 4.25" height in the walls and .75" thick top plate for a total of 5". If you are still planning to run the SD3's they need 4.5" of depth at a minimum. Or you could route out the top panel of the box to counter sink the magnet. Just checking to see it I read that right?
The bottom of the box is .75" so I have clearance to fit the SD-3's. Specifically, 5.25". Regarding rattles, this is always a concern. I'll try to mitigate by decoupling and adding deadener, just like all pieces of the puzzle!

The part is only ~100 bucks, I figured its the best shot I got at keeping the stock floor panel 100% functional. I'll sand and fiberglass the part in to look like it belongs and I think I might cover it in matching red vinyl after I'm done blending and matching the part up.

For the look, what I'm thinking is to take the unused area up top, where the sub is downfiring, and make some sort of Dodge logo area or something. I need to figure out exactly how (thinking vinyl and etching) to make it look cool. Oh well, maybe too soon to think about that.

Last edited by fourthmeal; 06-05-2016 at 09:52 PM..
Old 06-05-2016   #20

DIYMA Novice

My bad, had a brain fart and didn't notice you were measuring from the inside of the baffle.

I like the idea of bringing the red interior color back into the build. That interior option is one I'd like to see in person since several people have said that pictures don't do it justice.

One thing about the stock floor panel that I really like is that handle and latch mechanism. For a time I was thinking about how it could be retained, even if I scrapped the panel to get those parts out.

Old 06-06-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
My bad, had a brain fart and didn't notice you were measuring from the inside of the baffle.

I like the idea of bringing the red interior color back into the build. That interior option is one I'd like to see in person since several people have said that pictures don't do it justice.

One thing about the stock floor panel that I really like is that handle and latch mechanism. For a time I was thinking about how it could be retained, even if I scrapped the panel to get those parts out.
I think you can retain the latch. It is a very simple design, one that with a router I think you could emulate its location.

Old 06-10-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

After getting the two subs in, and test-fitting / measuring, I realized my path was not a good one. I decided to start over again and this time, build firing up. I don't mind restarting because its just wood, glue, and air brads... not exactly expensive to learn on.

In other news I got my CSS LD22 "seconds" tweeters in, and within 10 minutes of arrival I had "ruined" them. hahaha. Well I was told this by other experts, that the LD22 is really a Wavecor tweeter, and I guess I had to see this for myself. Lookie:

So it really is a Wavecor tweeter, and the model number is W022WA03 4 ohm

I had to tear into them pretty good

I have one major concern, maybe the experts here can lend a hand. During the process of tearing into these tweeters, I had one "diassemble" on me, because I was prying in the wrong location. The backplate which contained the magnet donut, some felt padding, etc. all fell apart. I placed all the items back into what looks to be the right position, and then CA glued the parts back together. I tested the coil movement with my hand and I feel no strange rubbing or anything, but I guess I won't be able to tell if I killed it or not until I fire it up and listen. I expected this to be a possible thing.

I also got my center channel, a somewhat hard speaker to get I guess... Wavecor , cute little thing, hope it fits!

Old 06-10-2016   #23

DIYMA Novice

Did you run out of depth with having the sub enclosure closer to the back of the car? That hump for the spare tire gets in the way in that area is what I was thinking. Do you still plan to keep the cargo cover panel with firing the subs up?

Old 06-10-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Did you run out of depth with having the sub enclosure closer to the back of the car? That hump for the spare tire gets in the way in that area is what I was thinking. Do you still plan to keep the cargo cover panel with firing the subs up?
The issue I was running into was space, mostly. I have enough depth to install the SD3's but I lack enough interior volume. I could only squeeze .83 cubic feet before displacement, and that put me well below my target when we consider those .11 cubes of displacement per sub. This would have still worked sorta (and the option exists to use this box if I have to), but I just wanted to try again. Wood is cheap, meh. The subs do need to be near the front of the area, for magnet depth and width clearance but mostly because the amps need to be accessible and near the back to fit them all. The equipment list is stupid at this point, literally:

MS-8
Arc KS900.6 (this bastard is the reason for all this trouble, btw) powering the front woofers, center, and tweeters
Massive Nano N3 sub amp (powers sub, duh)
Massive Nano NX4 4ch amp (secondary option if needed, Power Acoustik CA1600-D micro-amp) (powering rear doors and D-pillars in a shared output from the MS-8)

SO, I'm going to try, try again with an upfire setup, and yes I'm definitely keeping the factory cover. The big deal about the cover is not the cover itself, but those flaps. I am going to add foam and deadener to the factory panel to keep the resonance out of it. I've also realized that I'll need to cut up the under-panel more but that's pretty easy to do. With the lighting I'm putting in, I also felt like the subs deserve to be highlighted a bit. We'll see how it pans out.

I decided to abandon MDF on this re-build, and instead purchased some sheets of 3/4" pine ply, specifically there's a type at Home Depot that has a bunch of plys (I think it is 11), which works great for our type of work. I like using this stuff, in general. It is very light, very stiff, pretty easy to cut, and it feels more sturdy to me. It is also a bit cheaper than MDF at the moment, so that's cool.

I also just ordered some Alpine SPX PRO tweeters from China tonight, on the cheap. If the Wavecor / LD22 idea fails, I think the SPX PRO's will just slip right in the stock location, much like BradKnob's awesome discovery of Audiofrog tweeters fitting just right. I can't swing the $299 price for those speakers, so I'm hunting (experimenting) with other options any direction I can.

Old 06-12-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Time for some update pics, the new direction is working!

Clearance to the subwoofer is about an inch

I decided to mount the subs close together, just for aesthetics (for the top board to come)

You can probably see here that I had use a roundover on the subwoofer cutouts. I cut them to 9 1/4 like it shows in the spec list online, but that's not quite enough. Using the roundover on both sides took care of it.

Just a messy test fit

You can see from these pictures I had to trim the inner plastic trunk panel where it will contact the enclosure. To get this nice and straight, I ran it through my saw very carefully. Worked like a charm!

Here is the box sealed up. I made it as large as I could, even stealing a little bit of amp space.

I had to cut the inner panel further to clear the subwoofers. I created notches to let the subs fit right underneath, and this works well

To mount my processor, I decided to take advantage of the little cubby space on the driver's side. I made this board and I'm able to use existing threaded studs located at the bottom, to hold the panel

I used some of my strongest L brackets and created a nice, stable mount for the MS-8

The processor will fit like this, which will give access to the crucial microphone port, for calibration/tuning purposes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement