HiRES Android Tundra - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 133 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

Default HiRES Android Tundra

OKAY, I have tried Google chrome as my source, but until full on support for running Google Play Store and android apps, that is on hold..(hopefully January 2017)

See the thread here Chrome for the car

Plan 2 is very similar, except I am going to use an NVIDIA shieldTV instead of the chromebox.

A few details of the whole picture:

Source: NVIDIA shield TV running SPMC
Display:Lilliput Europe · FA1014-NP/C/T · 10.1 inch HDMI monitor with capacitive touchscreen
Output Device: Meridian Explorer 1
DSP: Rainbow DSP1.8 w/WIFI
Amplifier: Audison Voce AV5.1k
Midbass in door: Image Dynamic XS-69(6x9 driver only)
Subs: (2) Dayton Audio LS10-44
High Frequencies: Audible Physics RAM 3 A or Hybrid Audio Legatia 3

NO Tweeters

Last edited by felix509; 12-15-2016 at 03:18 PM..
felix509 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 133 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: HiRES Android Tundra

NVIDIA Shield TV

FULL SPECS
ProcessorNVIDIA® Tegra® X1 processor with a 256-core GPU and 3 GB of RAMVideo Features4K Ultra HD ready
4K playback at 60 FPS (VP9, H265, H264)
4K capture at 30 FPS (H264, H265)
Supports: MPEG-2/MPEG-4/Xvid/DivX/WMV9/ASF/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MPEG-TS/H.263/H.264/H.265/VC-1/VP8/VP9

Audio7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
Supports: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, DD+/DTS (pass-through), DTS-HD MA (pass-through), Dolby TrueHD (pass-through)

Storage16 GB and 500 GB (Note: portion of storage occupied by system software). Expandable with microSD card or USB drive.
Wireless802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.1/BLEInterfacesGigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2
Two USB 3.0 (Type A)
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD slot
Old 12-15-2016   #3

DIYMA Novice

The Meridian Explorer USB DAC is an Asynchronous DAC with Optical output via Mini Toslink(3.5mm, looks just like a headphone jack)

I will run the Digital stream from the Meridian Explorer to the Rainbow DSP.

The RainbowDSP will accept 24bit/96KHz and the Meridian is capable of sending the same via SPDIF Toslink.

The Rainbow DSP will be controlled via the Rainbow Android app running on the Nvidia SHield.

Currently Volume is not decided, it seems I have three choices..

1) The Rainbow DSP app has a volume control, not sure how convenient this would be(used on touchscreen)
2) The volume control in the Nvidia Shield software(used on touchscreen)
3) I have a couple Audiocontrol MVC units that i could insert between the DSP and the Amps.

Last edited by felix509; 12-15-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-15-2016   #4

DIYMA Novice

A few word about the choices I have made here.

Why Android? Well, it has not been done, and it is a fantastic source for audio.

to be continued, fedex is here with STUFF

Last edited by felix509; 12-15-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Old 12-15-2016   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

If you can live with an 8" screen buy the Shield K1 tabelt instead.

Should give you roughly the same ability w/o dealing with a box and a separate screen.
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016   #6

DIYMA Novice

Things that i will be adding on

Radio: USB radio from Nooelec This is nearly plug and play and is support by Kodi/SPMC
128Mb MiniSD for music: Nvidia shield supports up to 128Gb memory card in it's card reader. I have a 200Gb already, so i will try it first.
Bluetooth OBD reader
Handsfree phone kit. Not researched this much.. Not sure how it can happen through the Nvidia, but i am otomistic. I believe i can use hangouts and a USB mic. Possible i will need an external unit that just pairs with my phone..
USB LTE modem - lots of these for $20 on Amazon. Can get a data only sim card on my Project Fi plan

more to come...

Last edited by felix509; 12-15-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Old 12-15-2016   #7

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercoat View Post
If you can live with an 8" screen buy the Shield K1 tabelt instead.

Should give you roughly the same ability w/o dealing with a box and a separate screen.
I am doing the console w/ external display to AVOID using a tablet. I think a tablet is a last resort type of thing..
Old 12-15-2016   #8

DIYMA Novice

I received my AP RAM3A a few minutes ago.. WOW, seems like i just ordered them a few hours ago...

ANYWAY, A few pics, comparing the AP RAM3A and the ScanSpeak Silver Series 10M-4614G06. I Am also going to try the HAT Legatia L3v2 which should arrive tommorow or so..

on to the scuttlebut..

ANDfinally. I have these tweeters ready to go if I don't think the high end is meeting expectations.. They are Tianle AMT40-4(Air Motion Transformers) and are $40 a pair on Madisound.. Oh, the Caps are extra...

Last edited by felix509; 12-16-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Old 12-15-2016   #9

DIYMA Novice

DHL just dropped off the Rainbow DSP1.8

Unboxing:

Bottom of the box has a nice diagram

WIFI module
Old 12-15-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

I'm interested in how well the Rainbow works. I sure wish other manufacturers would get on with developing apps to control thei DSP's.

2014 Toyota Tundra: Pioneer AVH-X4800BS Arc XDI1100.5, NVX XSP6ACT, Sundown SD-3 10
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 136 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

This looks like its going to be one heck of a build. That is quite a pile of equipment.
Looking forward to what you have planned.

I like building stuff. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it.
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix509 View Post
AND, lastly, i have these tweeters ready to go if I don't think the high end is meeting expectations.. They are Tianle AMT40-4(Air Motion Transformers) and are $40 a pair on Madisound

I have a pair of those, they need heavy EQ. My first impression was that they were loud and on the harsh side, but tamable.

Also, why don't you just use and Android phone as your source. You can go HDMI out to and HDMI to Optical converter, then optical into your processor.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 EriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enough

Could that be used as a USB DAC with an android headunit?
EriCCirE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCCirE View Post
This DSP has a digital input, there is no need for DAC. If you are using Android just convert from HDMI out to optical and feed that into the DSP.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #15

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
If you are asking if the Meridian Explorer can be used with Android, then yes..

As long as you have Android version 5(lollipop) or newer most USB DACs will be plug and play..

This particular Unit will output both analog and also an optical digital output..

I am using it for the optical output into the DSP..
Old 12-16-2016   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 EriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enough

just picked up this guy, and now want a good DAC and DSP

FORD ANDROID HEADUNIT
EriCCirE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #17

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
just picked up this guy, and now want a good DAC and DSP

FORD ANDROID HEADUNIT
That should work with most USB dac units.. As long as they have not serioulsy altered the Android software..

You might need a USB hub, not many USB ports to go around
Old 01-04-2017   #18

DIYMA Novice

All Righty, not a WHole lot done the last 10 days, but a few of the smaller things..

Power wire is installed, 2/0 welding cable to the back wall of the cab..

Image Dynamics 6x9s installed in the doors with sound deadening complete on the doors..

That is about it on the actual install, but the big tear down day is coming soon, seats and carpet out..
I really want to tear it down just once, so i am trying to have it all planned out..

Now on to the Source

Bad News, The Nvidia Shield is scrapped.. Even after rooting it i could not make it do the things I needed it to do.. SO I have reimaged it back to factory and it is off to eBay..

Good News, Odroid to the Rescue.. It only took me three part time days to get these guys completely sorted and it is pretty cool..

First, Introducing the Odroid C2. It is a 64 bit Arm SBC(single board computer) that cost $42 each. HDMI, Ethernet, and 4 USB ports. Powered by 5vdc, requires 2Amps.

The first Odroid C2 has Android 5.11 installed.. This will be my interface, it will be connected to the 10" touchscreen in the dash and control the whole system. The touchscreen worked out of the box, GPS took a bit of doing, but is working, Googe play store installing apps as it should.

SO far I have this Working on android:
Rainbow DSP control App
Google Maps via USB DGPS
FM Radio via USB dongle
4G LTE USB modem with my Project Fi SIM
USB DAC to send to the Rainbow DSP as an alt music source
Auto Shutdown, but for now manual start up.

Now on to the cool bit..

The second Odroid C2 will be running as a Headless music server. Basically I install a slimmed down purpose made version of Linux Debian that keeps track of and plays back my music library, Spotify, and loads of Net Radio Stations.

The really nifty bit is that it is all controlled via Web inteface on the Android computer.. They also have purpose made Android apps that will control it as well..

Right Now I am testing out Volumio, and it is working pretty smooth.. I will also test out Rune Audio. Volumio is actually a spur of Rune Audio, so they are pretty similar..

Volumio

Here is a pretty in depth look at how Volumio works

This is what the interface looks like:

AT any rate, the second Odroid C2 running Volumio will feed my Rainbow DSP with either Optical out via a USB Meridian Explorer, OR analog out to the Rainbow from one of the MANY DACs available for the Odoroid.

There is even a chance I can stream to the RainbowDSP via USB straight from VOLUMIO, but i have not tried this yet... I believe Volumio will see the DSP as an Audio Class device and be plug and play...

Couple of notes on the Odroid Volumio. The Odroid C2 has I2S out and there are quite a few modules available including : DACS, I2S reclockers, I2S to Optical out.

I ordered on of these Hifi Shield 2 Hats, it fits right on top of the Odroid C2. With it i could switch between Optical out and Analog out and not have USB.. LINK

Here are several ways to customize the DAC/outputs.. Some of these are designed for Raspberry Pi 3, but the Odroid C2 is supposed to be compatible with some of them.. Need to research this a bit more...

This is a cool DAC i found, but it is sold out.. Odroid DAC 4452 with 3.5″ Touch display and remote – G2 labs

DAC with I2s Reclocker LINK

Or a Tube DAC LINK

Enough for now.. It is Burger night, and i am hungry...

Last edited by felix509; 01-05-2017 at 05:04 AM..
Old 01-04-2017   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 135 forty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enough

Man off tha hook Felix! Loving that Odroid. This is looking like it's gonna be an awesome build.

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - Acoustic Elegance IB10AU
forty5cal1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 144 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Things that i will be adding on

Radio: USB radio from Nooelec This is nearly plug and play and is support by Kodi/SPMC

Did this about 3 years ago. The NooElec piece was cool, but I could only find 1 app that worked with it, and while it was a cool novelty, the software was very technical with a subpar GUI and the range that it could pick up stations was less than 1/3 what my actual radio could do. The more stuff you can keep off the USB jack, the faster and more reliable everything works.

128Mb MiniSD for music: Nvidia shield supports up to 128Gb memory card in it's card reader. I have a 200Gb already, so i will try it first.
Bluetooth OBD reader

Yep. Got that too, I got it off Amazon, IIRC and I use it with the Torque app.

Handsfree phone kit. Not researched this much.. Not sure how it can happen through the Nvidia, but i am otomistic. I believe i can use hangouts and a USB mic. Possible i will need an external unit that just pairs with my phone..

I just bought a Motorola Roadster 2 and clipped it on my visor. Works pretty well for what it is. I run a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 in my car, and it appears that if I had a Samsung phone they have an app that is supposed to let me make and receive calls with my phone while navigating the phone on my tablet...but I have a Motorola phone so that wasn't a viable option.
USB LTE modem - lots of these for $20 on Amazon. Can get a data only sim card on my Project Fi plan

more to come...
My tablet is WiFi, so I just hotspot my phone when I need internet access. It has a GPS antenna built in, and I can download local maps in a couple of different apps I use, so it can track me without internet.

I also had my backup camera working for a while, but the app that I was using got updated, and doesn't work anymore...now it appears to be gone from the app store. I had it integrated with my factory rear backup camera.

I use a Joycon EXR to retain my steering wheel controls. I run a modded Amazon Basics USB hub powered by a USB Buddy, and I use an Anker smart car charger to charge the tablet through a OTG Y cable.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017   #21

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did this about 3 years ago. The NooElec piece was cool, but I could only find 1 app that worked with it, and while it was a cool novelty, the software was very technical with a subpar GUI and the range that it could pick up stations was less than 1/3 what my actual radio could do. The more stuff you can keep off the USB jack, the faster and more reliable everything works.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"
I listen to the radio possibly 5% of the time. HERE is the app i had it working with.[/COLOR]

JayinMI;4376210]My tablet is WiFi, so I just hotspot my phone when I need internet access. It has a GPS antenna built in, and I can download local maps in a couple of different apps I use, so it can track me without internet.

I JUST finished downloading a pretty large area of offline maps for Google Maps..

I also had my backup camera working for a while, but the app that I was using got updated, and doesn't work anymore...now it appears to be gone from the app store. I had it integrated with my factory rear backup camera.

I have not even considered a back up camera.. I have never had one, so it was not even in my thought process.. I did see some Android machines still have a back up camera somehow.. Pretty low priority..

I use a Joycon EXR to retain my steering wheel controls. I run a modded Amazon Basics USB hub powered by a USB Buddy, and I use an Anker smart car charger to charge the tablet through a OTG Y cable.

THAT is pretty nifty.. My tundra has pretty basic steering wheel controls & I was planning on using an Audiocontrol MVC for volume, so I had not really though about the factory controls..

Jay
THANKS for all of the input.... There has to be a better FM radio solution out there besides these Cheap USB dongles.
Old 01-04-2017   #22

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty5cal1911 View Post
Man off tha hook Felix! Loving that Odroid. This is looking like it's gonna be an awesome build.
It is the most fun i have had in a while, love figuring these things out... I know just basic Linux commands, and with Android being Linux, it is a struggle sometimes..

Thankfully there are tons of forums.....

Tomorrow i start figuring out the mounting board.. It is all going to live behind the seats with the amps...
Old 01-06-2017   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 Swaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enough

I highly recommend BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter if you haven't bought one yet. I use it with Torque Pro and DashCommand. Always works, its fast, the lights are kinda bright however but probably wouldn't bother most depending on angle. Automatically connects if I want it too. I leave it plugged in and the drain is minimal where I never worry about my battery being dead.

With USB Audio out on Android now. Is a external DAC needed with the Rainbow?
Swaglife81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 Jumbo Jet will become famous soon enoughJumbo Jet will become famous soon enoughJumbo Jet will become famous soon enoughJumbo Jet will become famous soon enoughJumbo Jet will become famous soon enoughJumbo Jet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
All Righty, not a WHole lot done the last 10 days, but a few of the smaller things..

Power wire is installed, 2/0 welding cable to the back wall of the cab.. .
Great build! Really enjoying this one. As a fellow Tundra owner (2015 DC), I'm in the process of my build as well. I also have 2/0 welding cable that I have to pull this weekend. In my old 07 Tundra, I pulled it through the firewall wire boot on the drivers side, where everyone was pulling it (cutting the tip off that rubber nipple), but I was only using 4 awg back then. If you used that same boot, how easy was it to get 2/0 through there? I'm looking at that boot and thinking this is going to be tough to squeeze that through.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #25

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaglife81 View Post
I highly recommend BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter if you haven't bought one yet. I use it with Torque Pro and DashCommand. Always works, its fast, the lights are kinda bright however but probably wouldn't bother most depending on angle. Automatically connects if I want it too. I leave it plugged in and the drain is minimal where I never worry about my battery being dead.

With USB Audio out on Android now. Is a external DAC needed with the Rainbow?
The audio actually comes from the Music server,(seperate computer) running Volumio, a linux Debian Distro, and not directly from Android. The Android Will be a Front End with all of the nifty stuff like Navigation, Tourque Pro, internet, etc.. The Android machine will remote control the Volumio Music Server, which is advertised as being Bit Perfect Music Streaming. Sooo, if the Rainbow DSP works via USB, you are correct, no USB DAC.. I Have a Meridian Explorer DAC/SPDIF-out just in case, I already tested it, it works..

This weekend I will be hooking up Both ODROIDs and the RainbowDSP to see how it works together.. I am thinking(Hoping) that I can hook the Volumio server directly to the Rainbow DSP via USB, plug and play.. The Rainbow DSP definitely has USB streaming, but it only says Windows.(It would have to be something from Left field to only work on Windows, so i hope it works on Linux as well)

As for the OBD, I bought a $9 Bluetooth OBD on Amazon, it has good reviews, so we shall see.. I bookmarked the BAFX one you mentioned just in case.(Thanks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement