2017 Colorado Crew cab build - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 914 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 2017 Colorado Crew cab build

Tiny update, limited time over the week-days.

Got my additional box of Knu Kolossus...ahhh that's better! The good stuff!

I began the effort of deadening and rattle-prevention on the pillars, this will be a long process. Stock panel first for observation

I peeled the stock (very good) 3M Thinsulate type batting, will be re-using that in a min. I noticed this spot right here between the two colored plastics...that rattles a lot just in my hands.

I decided to cut strips and install them in between the ribs in the plastic, in reality if I were doing this again, I'd probably go every 3rd one instead of other one in the ribs...in other words I over-did it a tiny bit.

I used the Reckhorn here up top, which allowed me to plaster a big piece and roll it tightly into the crevices between the two different-colored plastic panels. Reckhorn worked better here than Knu in this case. If someone wanted to, I'm sure they could force the Kolossus to smash into the area, just wear gloves working it in!

Not pictured but done, I just flipped the Thinsulate batting back over and used some spray adhesive to get it to stick, no issues. These pillars are dead now

I also doubled my efforts on the floor, and back wall. Kolossus did its job, got the resonant metal sound down much more than Reckhorn did on its own. I added one sheet to the back wall in addition to what I had back there already, and added two sheets to the floor total, including the rear footwells.

Next up, more interior deadening, hopefully tonight.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build almost complete MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado just starting
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 knifedag007 will become famous soon enoughknifedag007 will become famous soon enoughknifedag007 will become famous soon enoughknifedag007 will become famous soon enoughknifedag007 will become famous soon enoughknifedag007 will become famous soon enough

Nice looking build. Keep it up
knifedag007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 914 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

The truck is mostly back together as of tonight. I started early in the day with the rest of the interior panels

I then attached the factory front woofer wires with a Euro barrier strip, and ran 16 gauge 4 conductor to that.

And 18 gauge 4 conductor to the rear Speaker wires

I then ran all wires (inputs and outputs) through the center console area, after I removed some of it to see the wires make it safely through

I deadened up the front floor pan a little bit on the driver's and passengers

And then I realized, gee...this thing has a lot of wires! I used Wire keepers with the sticky bottoms and zip tie top, all over the floor to keep myself organized and abide by most sound competition regulations (JIC)

Here's what you're looking at, from left to right:

left tweeter 2 conductor 18 ga
left mid 2 conductor 18 ga
left and right door woofer 4 conductor 16 ga
left and right rear door 4 conductor 18 ga
front Speaker input 4 conductor 18 ga
rear speaker input 4 conductor 18 ga
right tweeter 2 conductor 18 ga
right mid 2 conductor 18 ga
Total of 24 Wire terminations + Power and ground

I then installed the rear carpet, panels, seats, and pulled all the wires through a central location, driver's side under the rear seat in an existing hole used for the under-seat supporting frame.

My ground is right behind this spot, using a bolt that was poking out, I think its for one of the underseat frame pieces as well. I ground off the paint underneath it, and bolted this 4 gauge down

Next up, I'll begin fabricating the amp and sub setup for under the seat.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build almost complete MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's

Old 6 Days Ago   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

OK so question, should I upfire the ID8's or downfire? Hmmm

Old 5 Days Ago   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

I was bored and restless so I fired up Sketch and made my box (well, virtually.)

I'll have to amend the design on the fly when I build, but so far it looks quite doable.

Old 5 Days Ago   #31
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 19 toneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enough

nice design like to see that built

toneloc2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to toneloc2 For This Useful Post:
fourthmeal (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 247 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

If the subs will be corner loaded I'd downfire for sure. However, I've never been a fan of firing up into the back seat. I'll fire subs forward before firing up into a seat. Too bad you can't rearfire them into the firewall. Honestly, if I were you I'd Build a .3 cu ft test box for one of them and play around with it to see which way sounds best.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
If the subs will be corner loaded I'd downfire for sure. However, I've never been a fan of firing up into the back seat. I'll fire subs forward before firing up into a seat. Too bad you can't rearfire them into the firewall. Honestly, if I were you I'd Build a .3 cu ft test box for one of them and play around with it to see which way sounds best.

Definitely downfiring, after researching. I've got "a plan" as you can see with the 3d model. Whipped that little guy together late last night, when I had a micro-epiphany let's call it. The whole thing just started coming together (in my head least...we'll see if the rest of me can execute!)

Old 5 Days Ago   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Bruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes you can put the cloth from a dry Clorox wipe or other thin soft material on the tool to prevent scratches. Can also drape the material over the area you are about to work with the tool.
Bruteforce650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruteforce650 For This Useful Post:
fourthmeal (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Bruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enoughBruteforce650 will become famous soon enough

Would not fire into the seat. Try to fire toward something more solid, down would be fine.
Bruteforce650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

So I made my prototype today. I might just keep it as long as it performs, we'll have to see. But I learned a great deal about how a box fits in this truck, like what angles and shapes work. I don't usually take many pics when doing woodwork because of the mess, but here's what I did take, and some thoughts along the way:

I started with a 14 1/4 x 46" board, and made my cuts to make an elevated downfire location. I used 1 1/2" as my spacing, but if I were to do this again or if anyone is following along, I'd run 3/4" as the bottom board, 1/2" as the spacer board, and then 3/4" baffle instead of all 3/4" boards. Reason is though a 1 1/2" spacing works great for the downfire, I ran into clearance issues with the ID8's and I was just barely able to overcome it. Had I went with a 1/2" spacer instead of 3/4" I would have that 1/4" that almost shut me down later.

Fast forward some, I made this shape where I had 45 degree corners on the end, to compliment the seat shape above. However, this was a mistake in the end, and I should have started with the box more narrow in the first place. The shape of the seat above requires about a 41 1/2" total length, not the 46 I hoped for. The "lip" inside the top of the seat bottom just doesn't let you get any longer than that.

The angle is good, its 24 degrees if I recall. Good shape overall, definitely used as much as the space under the seats would let me, I think.

In order to fit the subs, I had to cut and space out the area above them.

So as I mentioned, I had to mod the box to get things right. I haven't taken pics of this, it was dark when I quit for the night. But the number is 41 1/2 as I mentioned. I used my saw to cut 2 1/4" off each side, which should work in the end. I might make endcaps but they'd just be for decoration, we'll see.

Progress, though!

Old 4 Days Ago   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

I've decided this will be my prototype, from which a more refined, more perfected shape will come. There's too many compromises and "errors" with this design...in short, I can do better if I use this to rebuild a better example.

Old 4 Days Ago   #38
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 4 thereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enough

Really pro job, coming along nicely

2010 Colorado V8 Crew Cab (Build Log)
JVC KW-V420BT // PG Xenon x100.4 || Stereo Integrity TM65+M25 // PG Xenon x200.2 || Image Dynamics IDQ8 x2
thereddestdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thereddestdog For This Useful Post:
fourthmeal (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #39

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I'd never thought of approaching a down fire box like this. I always designed so that the entire bottom of the box was elevated. I like this idea of just having the sub area up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to street.terror For This Useful Post:
fourthmeal (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 40 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's not an easy box to build. Nice job on the prototype so far...

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

OK so I have a new gameplan, but I wanted to show you some pics of my existing "prototype" and what I want to change.

I'm not OCD but I can tell you my "attention to detail meter" is freaking out that the subwoofer downfire hole isn't centered in the box. LOL

This was my downfire opening

General profile. Not a bad shape, could be perfected.

So the angle feels right, it looks somewhere between 22 and 23 degrees. I'll keep that. The height (before the lip) is 5 1/2", I'll probably push that to 5 3/4", as that lip doesn't nestle right at the seat. There's about a 1/4" gap even if you push down on the cushion. The lip at the front has a 2" outside length, I'll probably keep that. I'll drop the top vertical from 1 1/8" to 1" even, and that means I'll be 1/8" up taller, requiring a teeny change in final height, assuming I keep the 22-23 degree angle. Should be good. The spacing I'll go for with the downfire will change from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4", using a 1/2" spacer instead of 3/4".

More fun tomorrow, I grabbed some more wood so I can keep working.

Old 4 Days Ago   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
I'd never thought of approaching a down fire box like this. I always designed so that the entire bottom of the box was elevated. I like this idea of just having the sub area up.

It seems more space-efficient especially considering this is also an amp rack. I can "horn-load" if I do this correctly.

Old 3 Days Ago   #43

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I like space efficient. I'm going to do some playing around with this idea. I could probably loose a good 2-3 inches of over all height doing that.

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
I like space efficient. I'm going to do some playing around with this idea. I could probably loose a good 2-3 inches of over all height doing that.

Extra air space never hurts in situations like this, too. I'm scrounging for every cubic inch, a typical issue in an under-seat design.

The Following User Says Thank You to fourthmeal For This Useful Post:
street.terror (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Well today after work I only had a couple hours outside, but man, I got a lot done!

This is the new bottom board, also serving as a downfire spacer. But really, its the amp rack. 45" x 14 1/4"
The downfire area is now centered, yay! This rack will have 7" of space on one side for my Arc 500.1 Mini (passenger side) , and 10" of space on the other side for the Helix processor/amp (driver's side, with all those wires). That leaves a 28" gap for the subwoofer box to go right on top.

This is the new bottom of the subwoofer box, 26 1/2" x 14 1/4

This is the Speaker baffle, I think its 9" x 18 1/2", something like that.

This will be the downfire spacing. Sufficient for an 8" sub.

Through some math and using my prototype as a guide, I semi-quickly whipped up all the boards at 26 1/2", and those angles are 23 degrees

Other than needing to round off some edges, it appears to fit perfectly

So far, pretty happy. I'll Build the sides to seal the box up after I spray the inside with some rubberized deadener/sealant spray. I like using that stuff to guarantee an air-tight box. From there, the enclosure will be done except for course for beautification, and I can focus on the amp rack wiring.

Old 2 Days Ago   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Ok update time, I at least have a box now.

I crafted the side panels, and then ran my router over the edges to smooth things out. I then sprayed the inside with rubberized Sound deadener/sealer. Worked great.

It definitely fits under the seat, but it does take a shove to lock the seat in. This is definitely the most box (height and angle-wise) I think you can fit under here

The final internal dimensions are about 20% under what I had as goal. I got .58 cubic foot all-in. This puts me at a final box Qtc of just over .806. That's not perfect but it is still acceptable. I consider .8 to be the upper range of a low resonance/ringing box. If I were to do this all over again, I would try to extend the box out at the wings possibly another couple inches each side, but even doing that, I'd still only get something around a .65 cubic foot box. Its just not roomy under there and I wanted room on each side for the amp and processor. I suppose I also lost a bit of space making it two piece, but I think that will be worth it for the amp rack portion. Bottom line, if you are using 3/4" material, don't expect much over .6 to .7 cubic feet of space inside. On the bright side, the box feels extremely sturdy with the shape and thickness of wood, and its pretty light because I used high-count birch ply except for the amp rack.

Old 2 Days Ago   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 40 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Ok update time, I at least have a box now.

I crafted the side panels, and then ran my router over the edges to smooth things out. I then sprayed the inside with rubberized Sound deadener/sealer. Worked great.

It definitely fits under the seat, but it does take a shove to lock the seat in. This is definitely the most box (height and angle-wise) I think you can fit under here

The final internal dimensions are about 20% under what I had as goal. I got .58 cubic foot all-in. This puts me at a final box Qtc of just over .806. That's not perfect but it is still acceptable. I consider .8 to be the upper range of a low resonance/ringing box. If I were to do this all over again, I would try to extend the box out at the wings possibly another couple inches each side, but even doing that, I'd still only get something around a .65 cubic foot box. Its just not roomy under there and I wanted room on each side for the amp and processor. I suppose I also lost a bit of space making it two piece, but I think that will be worth it for the amp rack portion. Bottom line, if you are using 3/4" material, don't expect much over .6 to .7 cubic feet of space inside. On the bright side, the box feels extremely sturdy with the shape and thickness of wood, and its pretty light because I used high-count birch ply except for the amp rack.

Man, that looks great! What subs are you gonna run?

Edit: Never mind I just read the OP...

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Id8 v.4 d2 pair, should be great. We'll see soon!

Old 3 Hours Ago   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

OK minor update before the big push this weekend, I carpeted the Amp rack, installed T-nuts to mount the processor, and burned the holes for those

I used my router table to cut a notch in the bottom, to let the carpet tuck in without increasing the panel's thickness. And then crown-stapled my way through.

Amp rack ready for the truck

And in the truck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement