Toyota 4Runner SQ rebuild - Audible Physics, Zapco, OnCore, - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 34 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Default Toyota 4Runner SQ rebuild - Audible Physics, Zapco, OnCore,

I finally finished my build last year just in time for finals. So, after enjoying it for a few months I guess it's time to tear it all out and start over. I had a very successful first year competing but it's time to more onward and upwards.

Last year I did my entire install by myself and had my tuning done by multiple people including myself, Chris Zenner, Kyle Ragsdale, Michael Myers, and the final tune performed by Steve Cook. Many other people helped me as well.

With the new install I am getting help from some friends / professionals. For example the pillars were made by Steve Cook of Audio X, the dash kit was made by Rafa, and the lower dash panel that will hold the Helix Director was made by Ed Rice and his buddy Darin Laughard. Tuning will once again be handled by myself (initial crappy tune) and then corrected and perfected by Steve Cook.

Here is a link to my previous build.

Here are a few pictures.

Photo after finals with Tam from SLA Accoustics / Audible Physics.

System Diagram by Nick.

Team SSQ - Team Audible Physics - Team Zapco
2016 MECA: RTA Champion, SQ Street Champion, 3rd Street Install.
2016 IASCA: Novice SQC – Champion, Novice IQC – Champion
lowcel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 34 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Toyota 4Runner SQ rebuild - Audible Physics, Zapco, OnCore,

Now enough about the past, time for the future. This install will take a little while since I am temporarily crippled. I had ankle / knee surgery on my ankle almost seven weeks and I'm still recovering. If you get bored check out the OATS ankle procedure. I'm still on crutches another week then I'll be in the boot / air cast another five weeks. So, I'll be able to do some easy work in the next few weeks then slowly increase to the real work.

So here's my plan.

Head unit - Sony RSX-GS9 head unit mounted in the dash behind an iPad mini 2 that will be controlling it.
CD Changer Controller - Alpine CRA-1667RF
CD Changer - Alpine CHA-S624
DSP - Helix DSP Pro MK2
Amps - Zapco Z150.6 LX - two of them
Amps - Zapco Z-1KD - two of them
Speakers - Audible Physics Ram 6a, Ram 3a, Ram 2a, Ram 1a
Subs - OnCore SM12 - two of them
Batteries - XS Power D3400 and XS Power D3400R

Oncore Sub

One of the batteries. Great Dane beside of it for size comparison.

Shrockworks second battery tray.

Amps.

Pillars built by Steve Cook.

Audible Physics Ram's.

That's all for now, I hope to have an update this weekend.

Old 04-11-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 zebolsen will become famous soon enoughzebolsen will become famous soon enoughzebolsen will become famous soon enoughzebolsen will become famous soon enoughzebolsen will become famous soon enoughzebolsen will become famous soon enough

Sub'd. Your last build was inspiring. Looking forward to seeing this through its progression.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
zebolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 105 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

3a and 2a? How are implementing them both? ALSo curious as to your power allocation....heanen knows you'll have plenty of flexibility!

Tagging in to what should be a cool build

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017   #5

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
3a and 2a? How are implementing them both? ALSo curious as to your power allocation....heanen knows you'll have plenty of flexibility!

Tagging in to what should be a cool build
Good questions, I was kind of hoping someone could tell me.

Front stage will be 6a, 2a, and 1a. Rear fill will be the 3a's.

My "plan" for power will be one Z150.6 LX per side.

Channel 1 - tweeters
Channel 2 - 2"
Channel 3 & 4 - 6"
Channel 5 - 3" rear fill
Channel 6 - unused

I have also considered bridging two channels for the 2's, I just haven't decided for sure.

For the subs I am going to link both amps at 2 ohms giving each sub a rated 850 watts RMS. A little more than recommended but they will never see full power.

Old 04-12-2017   #6

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebolsen View Post
Sub'd. Your last build was inspiring. Looking forward to seeing this through its progression.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Old 04-12-2017   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 133 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

The DSP Pro MKII and Z150.6LX work wonderfully together!!

Pioneer DEX-P99RS
Helix DSP Pro MKII w/ Director and HEC USB
Zapco Z150.6 LX, Z400.2 LX
Audiofrog GB10, GB25, GB12D4
Scan Speak Illuminator 18WU/4741T-00
cmusic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cmusic For This Useful Post:
lowcel (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Sounds really fun but I don't see anyway the 3in will be good for real fill. I hope figure it out and it turns out to be awesome.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 Black Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enough

Its great to see you try and improve front last season.

I don't know if the 2" or 3" would be able to handle the 500Wrms if you bridged it. If they could, that would be some serious headroom. Plus I would probably switch the 3" to the front and run the 2" for rear fill. Unfortunately, that would mean Steve would have to redo your pillars.

You have 3 Z1kd, why not run the (1)OnCore per Z1kd @1ohm? That would give you 1kW per sub and just turn down the gains. They will never really see all that power but it would be there for reserve.

2013 Dodge Ram (under construction)
Black Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

Gear and pillars look freaking awesome

But theseee go to 11!!!
optimaprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to optimaprime For This Useful Post:
lowcel (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017   #11

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rain View Post
Its great to see you try and improve front last season.

I don't know if the 2" or 3" would be able to handle the 500Wrms if you bridged it. If they could, that would be some serious headroom. Plus I would probably switch the 3" to the front and run the 2" for rear fill. Unfortunately, that would mean Steve would have to redo your pillars.

You have 3 Z1kd, why not run the (1)OnCore per Z1kd @1ohm? That would give you 1kW per sub and just turn down the gains. They will never really see all that power but it would be there for reserve.
Steve is actually who talked me into going with the 2's in the pillars instead of 3's. Using the 2's in the pods they play down in the low 300's. I fought it but Steve is the man so I have to trust him on it.

I'm doing the amps linked so that I can adjust them both with the gain on just one amp. Trying to keep that part simple since I don't have a scope.

Old 04-12-2017   #12

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Sounds really fun but I don't see anyway the 3in will be good for real fill. I hope figure it out and it turns out to be awesome.
Thank you, I hope it works out. If not it won't be the first time I've had to modify the original plan.

Old 04-12-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

I want to drop the car off with Steve and do the 2.6. I just don't want the 2 on the pillar.
If we can fit it in a area where a sail panel would be and cover with grill cloth I'll do it. It'll vent into the top of the door skin. I like how my drivers completely disappear. I don't want one in my face.
Old 04-12-2017   #14

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
I want to drop the car off with Steve and do the 2.6. I just don't want the 2 on the pillar.
If we can fit it in a area where a sail panel would be and cover with grill cloth I'll do it. It'll vent into the top of the door skin. I like how my drivers completely disappear. I don't want one in my face.
I would love to be able to drop my vehicle off to him. I mailed him my pillars and he went off of the angle that I had the previous tweeters. I'm just happy that I'll be able to make the trip to him for a tune.

What I would really like to be able to do is drop it off to him and have him either put 8's in my doors or have him relocate my emergency brake and put 8' s in the kicks. When I win the lottery he will be my first call.

Old 04-12-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

It's about a 6 hour drive but close to my home town.
I can't do kicks, that's where my computer is.
Old 04-12-2017   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 Black Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
Steve is actually who talked me into going with the 2's in the pillars instead of 3's. Using the 2's in the pods they play down in the low 300's. I fought it but Steve is the man so I have to trust him on it.

I'm doing the amps linked so that I can adjust them both with the gain on just one amp. Trying to keep that part simple since I don't have a scope.
Steve is the man, and if thats his suggestion I would go with it too. I see your points for running them that way.

Keep up the awesome build.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2013 Dodge Ram (under construction)
Black Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

Like the pillars sir.... look great !

Steve's working on some pods for me as I type this. So looking forward to getting them in.

Those Zapco are powerhouses also....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017   #18

DIYMA Novice

Well today was my second day hopping around without crutches so I decided to check out the fit on the dash panels and play around with the angle on the head unit. I need to figure out some trim pieces for the Sony but I'm pretty happy with how every thing looks.

So far the only thing hooked up is the volt meter.

Before.

After.

Lower in the dash, new panel holding the Director and a voltage meter.

Old 04-15-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

Looks great sir !

Like how you've hidden the Sony.... hope to see and hear this very soon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SQ_TSX For This Useful Post:
lowcel (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

I've been told Raffa's work was like investing in gold. I wanted to get the bezel in my Ram done for an iPad then realized I'd need a lot of things on the bezel moved to fit even a mini. So I guess I'll just settle on a E3io CarPC instead.

Can't wait to see how this new build turns out.

Sent from my LG-V20 using Tapatalk
nineball76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017   #21

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball76 View Post
I've been told Raffa's work was like investing in gold. I wanted to get the bezel in my Ram done for an iPad then realized I'd need a lot of things on the bezel moved to fit even a mini. So I guess I'll just settle on a E3io CarPC instead.

Can't wait to see how this new build turns out.

Sent from my LG-V20 using Tapatalk
I got very lucky with this kit, there is no way I could justify paying Rafa's normal prices. Not saying that his work isn't worth it, I just don't have that much disposable income. When I contacted him he told me that he had already built a kit for my vehicle but the buyer never sent him the money for it. He told me that he was tired of looking at it and gave me a killer price.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22

DIYMA Novice

I messed around for a little while today and made a little progress. I don't have a garage so I have to work outside under my carport. Today it is rainy and in the low 50's so a few hours was enough for me.

The iPad dash kit that I received did not have a mount for the head unit behind. I was using the old head unit mount from my last install which was only using two screws into plastic mounts. It was very secure before since it also screwed into the Scosche dash kit. However, now that it doesn't screw into the iPad dash kit it was very flimsy. I corrected this using some epoxy and connecting the mount to the dash kit. It's nothing pretty but it is now very solid.

I still have to get the head unit lined up properly then do some trim around the head unit, I'll try to work on that some tomorrow. There is only so much I can do right now so there is no need to get in a hurry.

Using the mounting cage to get the right spacing for the head unit.

The sexy white epoxy...

Nice and secure.

I'm using barrier strips behind the head unit to hook up all of the accessories. I'm not crimping anything, everything is soldered. So far I wired up the powered USB for the iPad, the steering wheel control adapter, the wifi adapter for the rear camera, and the rear camera.

I also cleaned up some old wiring from when I used my head unit as the main source. The old connections are embarrassing but they did work. I removed the top hats and the extra speaker wire and soldered the factory wires back together.

Showing the rear view camera working through the iPad (and/or iPhone) as well as showing the battery is charging. I'm disappointed in the picture quality but it will do the job.

Last but not least, I received a couple hundred feet of Knu OFC speaker wire.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 144 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post

Showing the rear view camera working through the iPad (and/or iPhone) as well as showing the battery is charging. I'm disappointed in the picture quality but it will do the job.
Did you do this via a WiFi camera interface? Does it trigger off reverse, or do you manually have to turn it on and off? I have a customer who I'm building an iPad dash for (in his Subaru Impreza) and he wants to run front and rear cameras.

I was going to attempt to connect a Wifi adapter to my factory backup camera and on my tablet (A Samsung GalaxyTab Pro 8.4) I can use Tasker to automate certain functions. My plan was to wire the camera's Wifi interface to the reverse wire, and set Tasker to automatically start the app when it saw the device, and shut it down after it went away, but I bought a new car, and I'm just going to run a Pioneer AVIC-4100NEX for convenience sake.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Did you do this via a WiFi camera interface? Does it trigger off reverse, or do you manually have to turn it on and off? I have a customer who I'm building an iPad dash for (in his Subaru Impreza) and he wants to run front and rear cameras.

I was going to attempt to connect a Wifi adapter to my factory backup camera and on my tablet (A Samsung GalaxyTab Pro 8.4) I can use Tasker to automate certain functions. My plan was to wire the camera's Wifi interface to the reverse wire, and set Tasker to automatically start the app when it saw the device, and shut it down after it went away, but I bought a new car, and I'm just going to run a Pioneer AVIC-4100NEX for convenience sake.

Jay
Unfortunately I have to turn the app on manually when I want to use the camera. It's kind of a pain in the ass but it is better than nothing. I got the wifi adapter from GPS Wireless Backup Camera Wifi iPhone Andriod for RV truck trailer 5th wheel. The app they recommend isn't working with the newest ipad software so I'm using the app they used to recommend. I hope it is better once the other app is updated.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center Berkley, MI
Position:
Garage Manager

Rep Power: 144 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Good luck. I had my backup camera working with a USB to composite adapter at one point, then they updated the app I was using (like 3 days after an update that got everything working for me) and it didn't work again. Now the app isn't in the app store anymore. Hope your luck runs better than mine. lol

Walked past your truck several times (usually someone was judging or demoing it) at Finals last year. I'll have to make it a point to get a listen this year.

Good luck with the build! Those OnCore subs got good reviews from Bing, but they sure look weird. lol

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Skydiving without a parachute is a once in a lifetime experience.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement