LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008   #26

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 0 syd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2007 Ford F-350 crew cab build

Nice...

Question, when you say mounted right to floor, is that screwed into the floor pan metal??
The reason I ask is because some amplifiers have an active case, in that the -ve is part of the body/feet/sink etc. You could have a small ground loop issue (=noise)...
but then again maybe not.
syd-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 Lumadar will become famous soon enoughLumadar will become famous soon enoughLumadar will become famous soon enoughLumadar will become famous soon enoughLumadar will become famous soon enoughLumadar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd-monster View Post
Nice...

Question, when you say mounted right to floor, is that screwed into the floor pan metal??
The reason I ask is because some amplifiers have an active case, in that the -ve is part of the body/feet/sink etc. You could have a small ground loop issue (=noise)...
but then again maybe not.
He mentioned a 1/4 piece of MDF between the amp and the actual floor. He's safe
Lumadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #28

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 0 syd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumadar View Post
He mentioned a 1/4 piece of MDF between the amp and the actual floor. He's safe
Yeah, my bad. My interweb thingy reading skill are officially poor. Thanks
syd-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #29

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 80 mooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enough

Yes, MDF between the carpet and the floor. The screws may have punched through the MDF and broken the paint on the floor, but I've not noticed any noise issues (ran the truck around listening last night). Thanks!
mooch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 excelerater will become famous soon enoughexcelerater will become famous soon enoughexcelerater will become famous soon enoughexcelerater will become famous soon enoughexcelerater will become famous soon enoughexcelerater will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to excelerater

I own the same truck,2006 6.0 version - a few things the Ford did that is not audio friendly are...No room for subs,Slim lines is all your getting in there if you wish to retail a stock appearence
which is the main reason I left mine truck alone ......
For some reason the peeps at ford seem to thing that 5x7 oval speakers are OK to use
I dont see that on many cars (5x7s) and anyone who knows anything about a speaker knows
round is better......I am pretty sure ALL Fords are this way......
So I think the only solution is to cut the door and panel and make an adapter out of MDF
to get a 6.5" comp in there......Anything smaller would be a waste IMO because deisel engines are loud

nice install so far !

Last edited by excelerater; 04-21-2008 at 05:52 AM..
excelerater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #31

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 80 mooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enough

Have not made much progress with the install itself, but selected a set of front components to try out. I will be going with the REF version of the Alpine Type-X 6.5" (SPX-17REF). I'll post my reasons, and perhaps a review, in a separate thread. For now, some more pictures and some questions.

Mid:

Crossover (HUGE, measures 6x4x1.25):

And for the question... Where would you mount this crossover if the door were your only choice? The thing is huge and there's not a lot of room behind the panel except to leave it loose or risk some flex of the panel when it goes back on. The back of the passenger's side panel, for example:

Best spot might be in the upper left of that picture, to the left of the door handle opening (beneath the armrest).

The front of the same panel:
Old 04-29-2008   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 120 BigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the rough

when I had passives, I put them below the window switches in that pocket. I don't know how much bigger the alpine crossovers are in comparison to the focal's I had, but there is some room there. I firmly placed them in there with metal straps against the door

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #33

DIYMA Novice

Decided the crossovers will get mounted behind the door panel adjacent to the speaker. Although they don't exactly "fit", they didn't really fit anywhere. The door panel reinstalls securely but flexes out slightly at the location of the crossover. I don't find it objectionable and it actually adds some clearance for the speaker.

Trying to fit the monster crossover:

Where it ended up...held to door panel with screws:

Covered:

Driver's side:

Working on some wiring, adapter to tie in to factory speaker connection (I used the factory wiring to get in to the doors):

Should have speakers installed and wiring complete tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2008   #34

DIYMA Novice

Stage setup is going to be tough in this truck.

A-pillar is not an option because the wiring is contained to the door.

Sail panel is not practical because driver's side panel is obstructed significantly by the dashboard.

Looks like door panel, adjacent to or above the factory grille is my only option. Perhaps with the swivel cups for infinite adjustment.

Hmm...
Old 05-04-2008   #35

DIYMA Novice

Gave a shot to installing front components using coaxial bridge supplied by Alpine. Figured it was worth a shot before I started cutting or modifying anything, especially since my most practical option was in the panel adjacent to the speaker anyway. I did lengthen the tweeter wires to allow me to test various placements of the tweeters and to give me the option for future modification.

Four-conductor pigtais for the crossover-to-speaker connections:

Crossover installed, wired up:

Speakers installed, driver's side; molex connector used for quick disconnect of the tweeter:

Passenger's side:

The bridge that comes with the components is designed to angle the tweeter to one of four positions depending on which corner of the speaker it's attached. Due to door panel clearance issues, only one corner was ideal for attachment, but the tweeter positioning was towards the underside of the dash. Some careful twisting of the bridge allowed me to bring the tweeter more on-axis, back towards the driver and passenger seating positions.
Old 05-04-2008   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 120 BigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the roughBigRed is a jewel in the rough

I would try the pillar mounted tweets just as an experiment. For me the staging and depth was much better even with passives in that truck. Just buy some 2 sided tape and run some wiring up there with the tweeter and at least eliminate it from your thought process while you have the panels off.

Don't be mad at me if you like it

Team Zapco
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
Old 05-04-2008   #37

DIYMA Novice

BigRed,

I will give it a shot.

I had really hoped the sail panels would work because the wiring process is simplified. Since I used stock wires to get in to the doors to avoid the molex plug at the door boot, I really don't have the ambition to try to take wires back out for the a-pillars. The only location on the sail panels that would have let me recess the tweeter properly was below the top surface of the dash on the driver's side and would have obstructed the tweeter.

I guess I could try my hand at some fiberglassing of the sail panel to put the tweeters right at the top which would clear the dash.

I've also seen 2008 sail panels with a tweeter at the top. I wonder if these are a direct replacement for the 2007 and older trucks?
Old 05-04-2008   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Wizard

12V Company:
Melbourne's Acoustic Garage
Position:
Owner / Installer

Rep Power: 85 FrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enough

Could ypu not mount the x-over in behind the dash?.... then use the factory wire into the door for the mid?.... this would then allow you to mount the tweeter to the A-pillar easily.

I would trust Big Red on the tweeter placement... I think with all his testing, he will know better than anybody else!!

Mark

Our SQ Competition Honda Civic

2011 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
2012 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
FrankstonCarAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #39
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 silverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enough

You can also try the 2008 tweeter pods for the doors, thats what I did. I only needed to trim a tab on the top of the door behind the original door trim. I'll post you a pick tomorrow so you can see.
silverdiesel2574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #40

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdiesel2574 View Post
You can also try the 2008 tweeter pods for the doors, thats what I did. I only needed to trim a tab on the top of the door behind the original door trim. I'll post you a pick tomorrow so you can see.
Silverdiesel,

A picture would be great, and perhaps one that showed the "trimming" required if possible.

Do you have a part number and cost for these pods?

Were they the pods only or did they include the Ford tweeter?

I think I had found some info on these from another forum but I've not had a lot of luck getting info from the Ford parts dealers.

These may just do the trick, or at least give me something else easy to try.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2008   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

a pillar tweets FTW.............trust me, tried both

Team Zapco
Old 05-06-2008   #42
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 silverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enoughsilverdiesel2574 will become famous soon enough

Here are the tweeter pods I told you about. On Pic 2 you just have to elongate the original holes, not wider just longer.
on pic3 were the wire goes down the hole there was a small tab that need to be trimmed off and thats it. It's hides underneath the new tweeter pod.
I hope this helps.
I also added the 2008 side mirrors a well worth upgrade. 2005 frontend, And 2008 taillight the truck looks great.

Last edited by silverdiesel2574; 12-30-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Old 05-06-2008   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

ANd best of ALL I get to keep my 7.3L Diesel
Old 05-06-2008   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

i tried to convince those suckers at ford to give me the 7.3 but they said what goes out must go in. no warranty with any other motor.

Team Zapco
Old 05-06-2008   #45
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

You know I loved my 2005 F250 Harley Davidson Diesel, But I wish it had the 7.3l
If they would have done more R&D in the 6.0l I think it would have been better than a 7.3l. I know of a guy who's tripped all the unnecessary junk of the 6.0 like the egr its bypassed and stuff like. ARP head studs, thicker head gaskets, None Variable turbo and everytime I got to palm Springs I call him up just to get a joy ride in that thing. Its scary fast. it had me by almost 8 truck lenghts in a few seconds and mines no slug at 40psi.
Old 05-06-2008   #46

DIYMA Novice

Silverdiesel,

Thanks again. What you went through looks like more cutting of sheet metal than I was hoping for... I'm going to have to consider this carefully.

Do you happen to have part numbers and prices for these items?

Haven't confirmed it yet, but it looks like a sail panel for a 2007 is $13. I was quoted $42 each for the 2008 sail panels. I'm not sure what justifies the difference in price.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008   #47
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I cant remember how much I paid but the only metal you have to cut is about 1/2 in on top and bottom so the sail panel will sit flush with the door panel. it litterally took me and my grinder less than 15 seconds per door.
Well good luck.
Old 05-08-2008   #48

DIYMA Novice

Have been in touch with an online Ford parts dealer and the 2008 sail panels are indeed $40 - $45 each (whereas the 2007 sail panels are only $13 each). I believe that the 2008 parts that silverdiesel described also include the Ford tweeter and wiring harness and that they don't just come as the panels by themselves.

Buying the 2008 pods can save me a lot of trouble and aggravation in fabrication and experiementation. And with new pods, it's easily reversible if I don't like the outcome. By the same token, $90 can buy a lot of fiberglass and MDF to modify my existing sail panels.

I'll post back with what I decide...

Thanks again, silverdiesel, for all the pictures you provided.
Old 05-08-2008   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

if you want the best imaging, the pillars are going to be better. I understand you don't want to fab much, so getting the sail panel upgrades seems to be your best bet good luck with your install

Team Zapco
Old 05-15-2008   #50

DIYMA Novice

Silverdiesel,

Got the sail panels today and started the install on the drivers' side.

I didn't realize from picture 1 that there is a small triangular gap at the front where the sail panel meets the door panel--did you do anything to fill this?

Also, any modifications required to the sail panel other than to remove the Ford tweeter that comes in it? I can't tell if you trimmed the lower tab on the inside.

I'm sure I won't get the imaging Big Red keeps telling me about from the a-pillars , but I think this is going to do a great job of bringing the stage up.

Thanks.