LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 mooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enough

Default 2007 Ford F-350 crew cab build

All,

My 2007 Ford F-350 crew cab build.

Components currently selected:
Kenwood DNX-7100 head unit with iPod controller
JL audio 300/4 special edition (black) amp
JL audio 500/1 special edition (black) amp
Pioneer TS-SW3041D 12" low-profile sub
Custom ported enclosure behind the rear seat (http://www.spl2k.com/superduty112.html)
Monster Cable 200-series LN interconnects
Monster Cable MPC P300 BAP1000 amplifier Power kit
Monster Cable 4-conductor Speaker wire

To be selected (will be subject of separate posts):
Front soundstage speakers
Rear fill speakers

Some of the gear:

Head unit, install kit (Metra), and wiring completed:

Using the factory wiring to run to the speakers (molex plugs at the doors). Installed molex plugs at the head unit to connect wires from amps to installation harness (to allow for future removal):

Wiring harnesses connected at the dash, molex plugs for speakers at the center:

Closer look at the RCA interconnects:

Completed head unit (Metra kit was a bit of a disappointment, see uneven gap on the left side of the head unit):

iPod connector in small glovebox adjacent to the steering wheel:

Last edited by mooch91; 04-09-2008 at 07:55 PM..
mooch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 mooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enoughmooch91 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2007 Ford F-350 crew cab build

Pioneer low-profile 12" subwoofer. Not being much of a fabricator, I struggled with subwoofer selection for this truck. Clearance behind the rear seat is very limited. This subwoofer and the custom enclosure have received a lot of acclaim at Ford truck enthusiast websites, so I was willing to give it a shot:

Subwoofer in enclosure:

Carpeted panel on truck's back wall needs to be trimmed to fit this enclosure (still trying to decide what to do with vent removed from this location, hence the temporary masking tape):
Old 04-09-2008   #3

DIYMA Novice

The interior comes out:

Wiring begins. 4-gauge to the far left, ready to run through the firewall. Speaker and amp turn-on lead on the left, interconnects (one 2 channel, one 4 channel) on the right:

The firewall run. Covered the "visible" portion of the Wire with flex loom:

Some fabrication required at the firewall on the engine side. Used penetration designed for clutch master cylinder. In 2007, Ford must have cut a few cents by leaving the grommet out of this hole and covering it with a big piece of adhesive heat shield. Installed (bolted and siliconed) a 3x5" piece of polypropylene on the engine side of the firewall, in to which the firewall bushing was installed:

The completed wiring underneath the back seat:
Old 04-09-2008   #4

DIYMA Novice

Where I'm at today... designing a rack for underneath the rear seat for the amps. 1/2" MDF cut to mimic the shape of the fold-out tray installed in the truck from the factory. This panel will replace the fold-out tray:

Testing the layout:

Drilled out for the wiring:

I would love to find these (bushings? grommets?) to install in all of the MDF wiring penetrations, but I can't find them anywhere:
Old 04-09-2008   #5

DIYMA Novice

Some things for the near future (hopefully this weekend):
  • Decide on finish for amp rack. Contemplating Line-X or DIY bedliner covering. Will integrate with interior well.
  • Install amps and wire. All exposed wiring to be flex-loomed.
  • Install 4-gauge and fuse at battery.
Old 04-09-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 132 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

nice start. Home depot has those grommets in various sizes

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 lashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enough

I found them on the net, just look for snap in bushings!!
lashlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
nice start. Home depot has those grommets in various sizes
I will check Home Depot. I looked in the small parts/fastener bins and could not find them. I will also search the web for snap-fit bushings, although these seem to be better suited to sheet metal applications. I'm sure they could be modified to fit.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Remo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enough

Looks great so far!
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #10

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Looking good!

I'm going to be tackling my wife's Silverado this summer. So it's nice to be able to look at everyone's ideas on truck installs. Keep us updated!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

The Anti-Rice

Rep Power: 129 unpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Looking good!

I'm going to be tackling my wife's Silverado this summer. So it's nice to be able to look at everyone's ideas on truck installs. Keep us updated!
copycat.

*WARNING*Side effects of car audio addiction include: Runny nose, anal leakage, a reduction in supplied semin, and ear bleeding...so enjoy.
unpredictableacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #12

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpredictableacts View Post
copycat.
Actually I would like to copy you!

You need to shoot me some pic.s of your silvy installs! Maybe even some blueprints for your center console sub boxes!

You do great work and I would be privileged to copycat your install!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #13

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 monkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enough

Just a suggestion on the front stage. I hated my door locations. I could never get them to sound right.

I have a set of 6.5 inch Q Forms that I could let go of cheap. I never mounted them, just cut the 6.5 inch holes and reinforced them with liquid nails.

I went with 8's in the floors. If you don't want to cut, this is another option.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 94 bjayjr5679 will become famous soon enoughbjayjr5679 will become famous soon enoughbjayjr5679 will become famous soon enoughbjayjr5679 will become famous soon enoughbjayjr5679 will become famous soon enoughbjayjr5679 will become famous soon enough

http://www.fastenal.com/

has the bushings

Honda Pilot- Alpine/Arc/Cerwin Vega/Knukonceptz
Ebay & CA the same screen name.
bjayjr5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #15

DIYMA Novice

Getting back to business this weekend...

Found the bushings. Like was posted, http://www.fastenal.com has them. Here's where I ended up getting them.

The manufacturer is http://www.heyco.com and they're called "snap bushings", designed to snap in to sheet metal of 1/8 - 1/4" thickness. I had one of the same bushings from the Monster Cable amp wiring kit and tried it in the MDF panel and they hold well. They're made from nylon and available for hole sizes from 1/4" to 6".

Here's the Heyco catalog for the 1/4 - 3/4" sizes (see PDF data sheet within):
http://www.heyco.com/pages/products/section_3/3-01.html

And here's the catalog page for the 13/16 - 6" sizes:
http://www.heyco.com/pages/products/section_3/3-02.html

I purchased them from a site called Mouser Electronics (http://www.mouser.com) at a cost of 10 - 15 cents a piece. Needless to say, shipping was more than the cost of the bushings, but sometimes you gotta just bite the bullet.

I ordered a number of sizes, including 3/16, 9/32, 5/16, 5/8, and 7/8 inner diameter.

Last edited by mooch91; 04-13-2008 at 12:02 PM..
Old 04-13-2008   #16

DIYMA Novice

And for the amp rack.

Coated it with flat black Rustoleum during the week (in preparation to be sprayed with textured bedliner coating per the instructions in the Tutorial forum). Here is is sanded down today (bored the holes bigger for the new snap bushings). The sanding was required because the initial coat of Rustoleum lifted the fibers of the MDF a bit. The Rustoleum was used to prime/seal the board and allow the bedliner a better surface to adhere to:

Sprayed some flat black enamel in the holes and on bare spots revealed after the sanding:

Selected the Plasti-Kote spray-on bedliner, available at Walmart for like $7 a can:

Sprayed three light coats a side. One side took one can. I suggest testing out the spray first, the greater the distance from the object being sprayed does produce the most even, textured results.

I will probably grab an additional can and dust each side one more time.

Last edited by mooch91; 04-13-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-13-2008   #17

DIYMA Novice

Some more tinkering with the amp rack...

Testing the layout:

And one more layout shot:
Old 04-13-2008   #18

DIYMA Novice

Mounted the fuse holder. Chose the driver's side battery for the + connection:

Installed the fuse, flex loomed the 4 gauge, and wired it up (short of making the connection at the battery, of course):
Old 04-14-2008   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 brendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enough

Nice job so far dude.Those amps look cool in black.Good luck with the rest.

67 CAMARO
ECLIPSE DLS IMAGE DYNAMICS
brendan 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #20

DIYMA Novice

Default AMP RACK - Part 2

I was very disappointed with the original amp rack, so I decided to give it another go. I'm not much of a woodworker, but so far I'm much more pleased with the new design. Spent much of the day building this.

The layout, similar to before:

Framed out for the amplifiers:

Test fit, starting the wiring:

Another view:

Wiring this up in the truck is going to be fun:
Old 04-20-2008   #21

DIYMA Novice

After wasting way too much time playing with these amp racks and not really being satisfied with the fit, I scrapped the plans. This weekend, I decided that the amps will be mounted right to the floor of the truck.

Preparing the wiring for a floor mount. The 300/4 ended up under the driver's side of the rear seat. The 500/1 ended up under the passenger's side. The fit on the passenger's side is real tight, especially when you bring the wires in to the mix. I wanted to ensure that the wires were routed neatly, signal and Power would not cross, and that the seat rails would not crush the wires once installed. Took a number of hours just to lay it all out:

View from the other side:

Carpet back down, wires fed through:

Fused distribution block installed (last-minute purchase, and the only item I got from Radio Shack). I did not feel comfortable with the un-fused block that came with the Monster amp wiring kit:
Old 04-20-2008   #22

DIYMA Novice

Now with the amps installed. 1/4" MDF was inserted between the carpet and the floor such that the amps could be screwed to the MDF and not the floor of the truck. With the seats bolted back down, there is no movement of the amps whatsoever:

Old 04-20-2008   #23

DIYMA Novice

The final connection at the battery:

So far, the only carnage from the install, hairline crack in rear trim (tried hard not to break a thing!):
Old 04-20-2008   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to circa40

It looks good. I like the way the amps are mounted better then the previous plan.
circa40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 132 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

been there done that

lookin good

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote